Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 07-10-2012, 05:05 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Quaero#1875

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
And yet they refuse to tell me the story behind Med'an.
I'm guessing that's a personal shame.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:13 PM

Revenant - Moderator

I don't own the book to fill this in:

http://www.wowpedia.org/Raptor_army

But it is there, if anyone wants to.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.

Last edited by Revenant; 07-10-2012 at 05:32 PM..
Old 07-10-2012, 05:20 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaero View Post
I'm guessing that's a personal shame.
Blizzard just wants to forget he exists.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:36 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
I don't own the book to fill this in:

http://www.wowpedia.org/Raptor_army

But it is there, if anyone wants to.

Huh. For some reason I thought it was a Day of the Dragon thing. Good.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:37 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Huh. For some reason I thought it was a Day of the Dragon thing. Good.
Nope, it was the sequel.

I should really pitch a short story about Sergeant RAAARG and his Snarlin' Commandos as Dalaran's secret black ops organization.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:54 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Falarson#1968

Quote:
Nope, it was the sequel.

I should really pitch a short story about Sergeant RAAARG and his Snarlin' Commandos as Dalaran's secret black ops organization.
That reminded me of picking up Secret Warriors. Thanks!

RIP Ronnie James Dio (1942 - 2010)

Long live Rock n' Roll!
Old 07-10-2012, 09:08 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falarson View Post
That reminded me of picking up Secret Warriors. Thanks!
Grats on designer stranger.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
Grats on designer stranger.
That's Antisemite-Scott.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:33 AM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

I personally like the Raptor Army. It is so ridiculous that it is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 07-11-2012, 03:01 AM

The Sun King

Dinosaurs are awesome, how can it not be awesome?
Old 07-11-2012, 03:17 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Old 07-11-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Dinosaurs are awesome, grizzled WWII veterans are awesome, so I say we combine them!
Old 07-12-2012, 03:52 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron
Dinosaurs are awesome, grizzled WWII veterans are awesome, so I say we combine them!
I was thinking about using this as avatar not so very long ago, and I honour your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
[img]Jurassic Park 2[img]
I don't see your problem. Dinosaurs are better than humans.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2012, 08:28 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Quote:
Old 07-12-2012, 03:21 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: mjbmitch#1158

Quote:
And yet they refuse to tell me the story behind Med'an.
Clearly the raptor army is more important than Med'an.

<sarcasm>
I'll explain what the raptor army is: it's a group of freaking intelligent raptors that have seen various events in Azeroth. They've lived through it all -- all of it. They are peaceful little guys. They were there first. When Sinestra started messing around with them... you know what happened.
</sarcasm>
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace was the most disappointing thing since my son. I mean, how much more could you possibly fuck up the entire backstory to Star Wars? And while my son eventually hanged himself in the bathroom of a gas station, the unfortunate reality of the Star Wars prequels is that they'll be around... forever. They will never go away. They can never be undone.

Last edited by mjbmitch; 07-12-2012 at 03:24 PM..
Old 07-16-2012, 12:05 PM

So, hey, two related questions.

One, do we know of Kul'tiras was ever said to have been part of the Arathi Empire? We know Stormwind was not founded until after the empire fell apart, and Kul'tiras is pretty geographically isolated.

Second, if there were any parts of ancient human/Arathi culture you'd like filled out, what would they be?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:10 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
One, do we know of Kul'tiras was ever said to have been part of the Arathi Empire? We know Stormwind was not founded until after the empire fell apart, and Kul'tiras is pretty geographically isolated.
In Tides of Darkness, when Lothar is revealed to be the descendant of the Arathi dynasty, Perenolde makes a sarcastic quip asking if Lothar was about to lay claim to all of their kingdoms.

Proudmoore is present at this meeting, and there's no indication that his kingdom would have been exempt from such a hypothetical claim---which implies that Kul Tiras has ties to Arathor as much as any of the Seven Nations.

EDIT: And, I misunderstood your question. You meant actually territory within the Arathi Empire. Sorry; no idea here.

Quote:
Second, if there were any parts of ancient human/Arathi culture you'd like filled out, what would they be?
An account of the Troll Wars and all the Elven-Human politics related.

(Or, the immediate aftermath of those wars. Whichever makes a better story.)

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 07-16-2012 at 12:16 PM..
Old 07-16-2012, 12:18 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
On a personal level, I wouldn't mind learning a few of the names of the first hundred human mages, and perhaps what they were called as a group.

I wouldn't also mind learning about the circumstances behind the independence of the human nations from the original human kingdom. I mean, obviously Dalaran's was mentioned first, but I don't think the rest of the kingdoms were mentioned. And also why the royal family headed south to Stormwind... and why a different family ended up ruling the kingdom instead of Lothar's.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:18 PM

Also, question for you history buffs out there:

What real-world culture do you see the Arathi empire based off? Roman (would that make Stromgarde Byzantium)? Celtic (look at them standing stones!)? Frankish (architecture looks low-medieval to me)?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:24 PM

The Digger

Quote:
I can't speak to the first, but as for this one... everything. That's broad, I know, but everything between the War of the Ancients and the First War is generally a sea of vagueness with a few islands of concrete lore within them. I suppose I'd like to see the initial development of human culture after their exodus from vrykul lands. I'd like to see How they changed and became the creatures we know today. I'd like to see Tyr guiding them in whatever capacity he did (and to know what the fel happened to the guy afterwards). I want to see their first meetings with dwarves, elves, and trolls. And, hell, let me see what ancient Arathi looked like. I can't speak for anyone but myself when I say this, but architecture is one of my favorite aspects of Warcraft cultures--part of why I like Gilneas so much but don't care for Stormwind.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:30 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Quote:

What real-world culture do you see the Arathi empire based off? Roman (would that make Stromgarde Byzantium)? Celtic (look at them standing stones!)? Frankish (architecture looks low-medieval to me)?
I'd actually have liked it to be high level celtic/norse influenced to suit the zone, IE highpoint post christian domination. Everything about it screams advanced celtic to me. I've always felt this way. But even more so these days. It would be that it would reflect the zone around it's feel as well as establish a connection to the Vrykul we now know about. Strom should feel like early Dublin.

Stormwind should have always taken the greater roman influences, especially after being rebuilt (But it did not). Strom Celtic. I didn't entirely expect Gilneas to be Victorian back in the day but it works perfectly. Lordaeron should have been more germanic with high gothic influences and I would have liked to see Strath take more french tones.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:35 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Quote:
So, hey, two related questions.

Quote:
Strom continued to act as the central hub of Arathor, but as with Dalaran, many new city-states arose across the continent of Lordaeron. Gilneas, Alterac, and Kul Tiras were the first city-states to arise, and although they each had their own customs and commercial workings, they all held to the unifying authority of Strom.

Source:http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/game/lor...r-2/5#readmode

The answer is yes.

But also, the "The Seven Kingdoms" made clear that the empire reign slowly ended as each of the city-states became properous. If we follow that logic, Stormwind wasn't founded after the empire ended, but near the end.

Quote:
The descendents of the Arathi, left within the crumbling walls of ancient Strom, decided to travel south past the rocky mountains of Khaz Modan. Their journey finally ended after many long seasons, and they settled in the northern region of the continent they would name Azeroth. In a fertile valley they founded the kingdom of Stormwind, which quickly became a self-sufficient power in its own right.

The few warriors still left in Strom decided to remain and guard the ancient walls of their city. Strom was no longer the center of the empire, but it developed into a new nation known as Stromgarde. Though each of the city-states became prosperous in its own right, the empire of Arathor had effectively disintegrated. As each nation developed its own customs and beliefs, they became increasingly segregated from one another. King Thoradin’s vision of a unified humanity had faded at last.

Quote:
I would like to know more about ancient Strom culture, domains, language, etc.

And also... How did House Wyrnn became the Royal House of Stormwind? Did they revolt agaisnt the Arathi?

Quote:

Roman. The Empire is pretty old. No reason to think that human were "low medieval" since they became a supra-national state.

Let the "low-medieval" look be an cultural evolution that slowly began after the fall of the Arathor Empire.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)

Last edited by Cemotucu; 07-16-2012 at 12:39 PM..
Old 07-16-2012, 12:36 PM

Echo of the Past

With your first question, Omacron, does lore say that any of the other human capitals were founded as cities answering to the Arathi king? The wowpedia article doesn't seem to emphasize that.

Is there evidence that the Arathi Empire was much larger than modern Stromgarde? Otherwise, it's entirely possible that all those capital city-states were founded by frontiersman on unclaimed land.

Quote:

Politically? When I hear about Arathor, my first thought goes to its fracturing. A lot of historical examples can be based on that, but it also depends on whether this was a single cohesive empire that took up most of Lordaeron and then fell apart (which makes me think of Alexander's Empire and the successor Greek kingdoms)...

(reminder of the Macedonian-Greek successor kingdoms)

...or if it was a smaller empire that had people travel forth from it to found indendent city-states on the frontiers (which makes I have trouble picturing in any empire after ancient times).

But if Arathor were Rome, then Stromgarde wouldn't be Byzantium. That would go to either Lordaeron (for being prosperous and tied to the culture) or Stormwind Nation (for being prosperous and having the only surviving heir).

EDIT: Cemotucu scrapped my pioneer scenario. So it feels like the breakup of any huge empire, such as Alexander's or the Mongols'. You could say Roman, but that feels less right because the Human lands didn't disintegrate from barbarian attacks. Since all of them were still Human kingdoms, they would all be like little Byzantiums.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 07-16-2012 at 12:44 PM..
Old 07-16-2012, 12:41 PM

World Builder

Runes

1. The humans first interactions with the trolls, elves and any other races in the area would be pretty cool.

2. I'd say Arathor having a Celtic vibe would be pretty cool.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 07-16-2012, 12:42 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Make more sense to base it on something similar to what they came from (Vrykul) so Norse/Celtic.

Tags
garithos