Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 08-11-2012, 04:35 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Anything from when the high elves first came to Lordaeron to the troll wars. Especially the troll wars as it has always been my view that it was the first step towards the Alliance.
For example: after the Amani regained their strength and started laying siege to Quel'thalas, how long did the conflict continue before the high elves asked the humans for help in crushing the Amani? How widespread were the fighting? all over north eastern Lordaeron? How widespread was the high elves before the troll wars? Did their nation reach as far south as Darrowmere, as old lore says that they had a runestone there once?

On the question asked by Oma before, I have to say that I think he has done a very good job when it comes to communication between SoL and blizzard. The answers we have received has regenerated my confidence in Blizzard.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 08-13-2012, 07:45 AM

Echo of the Past

I realize my Omacron references before were somewhat joking. But Blizzard should be able to just glance here and see how nice it's been for us to have him as accessible and helpful as he is. I'd hope that they'd likewise be able to see usefulness to them themselves, as Omacron has carried our interest polls and the occasional unclear lore concern!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Omacron, if a novel is being written on this, I would just want a real war. I don't care which one. But I've been in a sort of slump ever since learning what the Second War became, and I'd like something to be able to take its place in my mind.

If they write about the War of Three Hammers (and preceding Dwarven Civil War), please try to make it longer than a few months and involving more than three commanders, with not even a passing reference to the neighboring Gnomes, Humans, Elves, or Trolls.

If they write about the Troll Wars, maybe please try to not make it completely about the Humans getting magic... maybe also have some varied battles, like a sea battle on Lake Darrowmere or the nearby river systems? What else would the Elves use their Elven Destroyers for?

If they write about any wars between the Human Kingdoms... there is so much potential here. But there are also magic users other than those in Dalaran, probably knights other than those in Lordaeron, ships other than those in Kul Tiras.

Just... a real war. If it allows, maybe have something with ships fighting other ships (probably wouldn't work for the Three Hammers War). But really, any real war, for any of 'em, please!

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 08-13-2012 at 07:49 AM..
Old 08-13-2012, 09:26 AM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post

I've always assumed that Stromwind and Zul'Gurub warred at some point.
Quote:

I've always assumed that Stromwind
Quote:

Stromwind
Best typo ever.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:31 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Correct me if I'm wrong but was some concept art shown of a Pandaren library back at Blizzcon? Could someone be a dear and track that down for me?
Old 08-13-2012, 03:35 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Old 08-13-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Stop being jelly
Old 08-13-2012, 03:37 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Stop being jelly
Yea I am totally jealous of what you're doing.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:41 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Omacron, if a novel is being written on this, I would just want a real war. I don't care which one. But I've been in a sort of slump ever since learning what the Second War became, and I'd like something to be able to take its place in my mind.
Honestly, I think that the Second War should have received the War of the Ancients treatment and split up into more books so the entire affair could have been stretched out without feeling so rushed. You're right. The Tides of Darkness novelization made the entire war seem like a short foray and complete stomping of the Horde at every turn. It was a boring read from beginning to end.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:41 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Yea I am totally jealous of what you're doing.
What? Harassing Scrolls to look stuff up for him so that he can read (a) moron(s) crying over a single picture in other threads?
Old 08-13-2012, 03:51 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but was some concept art shown of a Pandaren library back at Blizzcon? Could someone be a dear and track that down for me?
Not sure the context, but do you need the art itself? The Temple of the Jade Serpent had a library shown then.

http://us.media2.battle.net/cms/gall...8960863046.jpg

http://media.mmo-champion.com/images...1_art2_092.jpg

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:10 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Honestly, I think that the Second War should have received the War of the Ancients treatment and split up into more books so the entire affair could have been stretched out without feeling so rushed. You're right. The Tides of Darkness novelization made the entire war seem like a short foray and complete stomping of the Horde at every turn. It was a boring read from beginning to end.
Well, to be fair, if my choices were between:

1) A 1-year war with the Horde reduced to Zerg tactics and Doomhammer unable/unwilling to decisively win a single battle, or

2) Rhonin and/or Thrall traveling back in time to teach Lothar and/or Doomhammer the skills they need to win the war,

Then I'd probably go with #1.

~ ~ ~

But seriously, these words still show up in History of Warcraft:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alliance of Lordaeron
The greater cities and townships of Lordaeron were razed and devastated by the conflict.
And yet, in this very thread, Omacron was forced to ask us if we could name a single city that the Horde destroyed in the Second War. The only real answer was found by Ashendant, which was Juroon: a town destroyed by dragons AFTER the Second War, able to remain destroyed in current lore because Day of the Dragon was the only source to ever mention it.

I thought the newly-built town in Hillsbrad would've counted, but I don't think that town exists anymore--I think in current lore, that area has always just been foothills.

And until very recently, I thought Dalaran's Violet Citadel was at least raided and damaged, since the Eye of Dalaran was originally invented to repair its damages. But no---I've read through that part of Beyond the Dark Portal, and the Eye of Dalaran is treated as some random artifact in the vaults, with no indication that the citadel was ever touched in the previous conflict.

All of these were towns and cities you had the potential to destroy in Warcraft II: Hillsbrad, Zul'dare, Tarren Mill, Southshore, Tol Barad, Stromgarde City, Caer Darrow, Tyr's Hand, Stratholme, Alterac City, Dalaran City, Lordaeron City.

Zero destroyed. And I don't think it was Rosenberg's fault; I'm pretty sure they were all off-limits.

Rant over. For now. Go about your thread.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 08-13-2012 at 08:09 PM..
Old 08-14-2012, 11:47 AM

Are the magical abilities used by monks ever explained or elaborated upon in-game? Are they ever compared to any other kind of magic, especially druids or shaman?

Are the mist abilities they use necessarily connected to shao hao?
Old 08-14-2012, 11:54 AM

Eternal

As far as I know, it's not really explained. In the char creation screen there's a bit about "Channel chi energy and keep light and dark forces in harmony."

What chi is and what the mists abilities stem from seem unexplained. Even in the class quests where you spar every 10 levels, while fun, offered no insight into how the magical side of abilities actually work.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:58 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Are the magical abilities used by monks ever explained or elaborated upon in-game? Are they ever compared to any other kind of magic, especially druids or shaman?

Are the mist abilities they use necessarily connected to shao hao?
Well the only other mist weavers have been historically the Nightelven Druids (retconned I believe) and the Kvaldir. If mist weaving is legitimately a thing, one would assume it's the same sort of magic that was used to hide Panderpia. Which is to say, likely similar to the magic that was used to hide Kalimdor. There for... Pandaren and Kvaldir druids yo.

Kidding.

At any rate, I doubt theres been much if any thought put into it and the other over uses of misty mist magic previously established.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:01 PM

As a side note, is this conversation unintentionally hilarious to German speakers?
Old 08-14-2012, 06:30 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
Given the mention of light and dark forces in harmony, I'd be tempted more to compare them to priests, who... can use light spells (if not the Light itself depending on one's interpretation of whether non-Light-worshipping priests still use the Light, even as they believe in whoever else) and shadow (that is, the place between light and dark) spells.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:28 PM

Do we know if the mogu have stony or fleshy bodies?
Old 08-16-2012, 04:31 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Quaero#1875

Quote:
Almost sure it's flesh.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:31 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Not yet. I think they were humanoid in the beta though.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaero View Post
Almost sure it's flesh.
What's your source?
Old 08-16-2012, 04:35 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
What's your source?
Actually scratch that, it's inconsistent.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Actually scratch that, it's inconsistent.
Well then gimme the contradicting sources.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:54 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Well then gimme the contradicting sources.
The Mogu have been stated as being masters of fleshshaping, and a couple of quest have also shown that they are capable of storing their souls and building new bodies for them to live.

Logic then would seem to indicate they would then be made of flesh, as they aren't stoneshapers, but all the artwork has show them with stony skin.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
The Mogu have been stated as being masters of fleshshaping, and a couple of quest have also shown that they are capable of storing their souls and building new bodies for them to live.

Logic then would seem to indicate they would then be made of flesh, as they aren't stoneshapers, but all the artwork has show them with stony skin.
They are stoneshapers. They made the quilien and terracotta warriors.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:54 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
The mogu view their dead as a collection of parts. Souls could be bound to stone for later use. Flesh and blood could be reforged to extend the lives of those loyal to the emperor. To be buried intact was a symbol of great power and respect.
http://www.wowpedia.org/Valley_of_the_Emperors

Best I could come up with.

Seems they are made of flesh after all.

Tags
garithos