Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 12-03-2017, 08:15 AM

Arch-Druid

Old 12-03-2017, 08:34 AM

Warden

Seems like basic flying is the only requirement to fly in old zones; a level 60 could fly in Pandaria. Hopefully this extends to any zones that aren't part of the current expansion, because pathfinder achievements can go to hell.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:51 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltongue View Post
Read some Moorcock, you'll love it
Well, corruption making you go against norms and the norm is you're a good behaved, productive member of society and that's where you get your worth from is the easiest form of "evil".
WoW does it poorly. I like the lopsided idea of that, Elric is the heir but unfitting and his cousin upstages him. He follows the traditions of his people by returning them to dominance and cruelty (actually the Order of their race) but Elric casts him down (with the help of amoral, chaotic powers) to bring a better future (dooming himself in the process). But he's an antihero done right.

In Garrosh's case, Y'shaarj spoke to all his repressed feelings and trauma. Which is kinda common among substance abusers. I wouldn't label that corruption. It's a weird way of empowerment when you've never known it. So it makes a bad example in WoW's storytelling.
There's a saying about power and corruption, but I don't personally believe it myself. But I do believe that many who seek power are already corrupt and have something to prove. Y'shaarj didn't have to corrupt Garrosh. It'd be as pointless as the Fel corrupting Gul'dan. Gul'dan and Garrosh had self-esteem issues and something to prove. They were looking for the power to prove that something, and they sure did prove something when they got it.

When it comes to corrupting magic, I always thought the truth of the matter was something closer to Arthas before Frostmourne. In the War against the Scourge, Arthas had to make hard choices. Some of those choices were probably right. But at some point he started justifying more and more, and went too far.

Dark magic is like that. It does nasty things. Just how nasty is too nasty? Is mind control acceptable? How about raising the dead? Where should the line be drawn? What if that line needs to be crossed for the greater good? When you're in the business of meddling with such forces, you should be careful you don't go skiing off the slippery slope.

A Shadow Priest kills by literally tearing apart someone's mind in a downright agonizing manner. You are, by definition, doing something that should be considered stomach churning by anyone else. You're probably triggering seizures and convulsions, and leaving brain dead bodies foaming at the mouth in your wake if they haven't already choked to death on their own tongues or bled out after they bit them off.

In the face of what you're actually doing, whispers don't mean jack shit. People should be looking at you in fear and disgust simply because you're doing Shadow Priest things. It's enough on its own, without the worries of corruption. You've already proven you're the kind of guy willing to do horrible, horrible things to your enemies.

Dark magic does the kind of things that people from all over the world come together to label as war crimes. That is why it's dark and forbidden. Like Mustard Gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
I think corruption is about manipulation, deception and seduction. It's pure art, magical ability could be used but it should only be the method to deceive or show others the path. No direct mind control should be used.
Well, of course. But that's not really how it's treated. Wrathion had to be "purified" to ensure he wasn't corrupt, because corruption is in the blood and something you're born with for some reason. I tend to feel true corruption is about ideology. Either believing in something corrupt, or disregarding something righteous. It's moral decay.

As such, I could never be impressed with Wrathion being "pure". In all ways that matter to me, he's been corrupt since the start. He doesn't need to be hearing voices. The Scarlet Crusade were corrupt, because their ideals had become corrupt. Not because they started growing horns.

Whispers are fine for corruption, but it should at least be shown that the Old Gods are selling something convincing and not just driving people insane. Perhaps starting gradually, because people aren't going to sell out their ideals straight away or be immediately convinced by their arguments.

The corruption of the Orcs is probably the best example of proper corruption, especially when we accept that the Demon Blood is the least important part. The corruption of the Orcs had set in by the time their fears had been exploited to justify murdering innocents. From there, they were led down a path where they discarded all former values for their false cause, and became focused primarily on violence and destruction.

By the time they drank Demon Blood, it didn't even matter. Durotan still participated in the Horde afterward, just the same as all the others. He still justified atrocities in one way or another. He was still corrupt in every way that matters, even if just a little less so than his brethren.

Last edited by Krakhed; 12-03-2017 at 10:15 AM..
Old 12-03-2017, 10:35 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
Why do we have to have matriarchy and be progressive because real life stuff?
Please keep the SJW bullshit to the dedicated thread.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:07 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
The new Nightborne models are a lot shorter than the old ones. They're still a good head taller than humans though, which I guess means the old model was super tall and I never really noticed.

A comparison with a regular female nightborn NPC probably would be better. Important characters are always bigger.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:17 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
A comparison with a regular female nightborn NPC probably would be better. Important characters are always bigger.
I stood next to some regular NPCs using the old models too since I thought maybe just the player was really big, but the disguise was the same size as them.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:31 AM

Treant

Quote:
The new Nightborne models are a lot shorter than the old ones. They're still a good head taller than humans though, which I guess means the old model was super tall and I never really noticed.

I believe this showcases how Blizz would handle potential "big" allied races like Vrykuls and Ogres, as the arguments against them typically are always about them not fitting through doors and that they cannot be made smaller without lore reasons, which this case shows is redundant.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:32 AM

Arch-Druid

Playable Nightborne models have a pretty funny animation mishap. When idle, they sometimes play a (probably put by mistake) tauren animation (scratching their backs). The problem is that the animation completely distorts all their proportions, making them looking something really weird. It's very unsettling, but it's so fast that if you blink, you may miss it.

Edit: Check it out:

- A better signature coming soon(ish).

Last edited by Deicide; 12-03-2017 at 11:35 AM..
Old 12-03-2017, 11:37 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

I hope Blizzard does something about their eyes. Having big, night elvish eyes just doesn't fit our beloved Shal'dorei.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:46 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
I hope Blizzard does something about their eyes. Having big, night elvish eyes just doesn't fit our beloved Shal'dorei.
It could be that they haven't finalized the facial animations. Still, complain about it while you can. You might be able to get a fix that isn't a monkey paw.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:50 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post
It could be that they haven't finalized the facial animations.
Maybe.

Quote:
Still, complain about it while you can. You might be able to get a fix that isn't a monkey paw.
I don't really care enough to do so, tbh. They still look alright, even if they're more night elf-like than the current models.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:09 PM

Eternal

To be frank, I'm not a fan of xp requirement increases. I know everyone has their way to play the game, and some enjoy playing through older content for as long as they want, but for people who want to level their alts and just get to current content without having to pay more than an expansion's price to skip to 100 with a level boost, an increase is annoying.

We're already 6 expansions in. That means running through Classic/Cataclysm content, then through TBC, WoTLK, Cataclysm again, MoP, WoD and finally Legion, and by the time BfA comes around, BfA content too. It's starting to get bothersome what you have to do just to jump into relevant content. How about 3 expansions after BfA? Either they need to do a lvl squish soon or increase exp gains, not decrease them.

I am very much for scaling zones. They mean I can actually just go through the whole zone instead of hopping between them within a few minutes, but I am not happy with exp requirement gains.

In the end, the changes are not so dramatic that I won't level alts, and they only apply to 1-60 atm, but I'm not a fan of the notion that exp requirements need to be increased at all. I think that's a very reasonable thing to say when the content you are running through is outdated by 13 years in some cases. There's nothing wrong or lazy about just wanting to get it over with and jumping into content that is relevant.

Blizzard effectively wants to have its cake and eat it too by pretending to have this groundbreaking war in a faction capital while at the same time being completely unwilling to portray logical consequences of such an event.

Faction war can be done well, but Blizzard has half assed it and it has predictably flopped as a result.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotal View Post
It's not that wierd, it's just a fancy name for regular fisting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
Well when you put it that way the Alliance has had plenty of fist-pumping moments lately.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:12 PM

Arch-Druid

The new silithid mounts look to be from the Call of the Scarab holiday.

And I couldn't put my finger on what bothered me about the Nightborne model but Nazja is right, it's their eyes.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:18 PM

Elune

Quote:
It could be that they haven't finalized the facial animations. Still, complain about it while you can. You might be able to get a fix that isn't a monkey paw.
Of the models only the Lightforged are in a 'complete' state along with female Highmountain to a point. Both male and female Nightborne, male Highmountain, and both void elves have zero facial rigging at this point. The models are obviously just not complete yet.

Last edited by Leviathon; 12-03-2017 at 12:22 PM..
Old 12-03-2017, 12:22 PM

Eternal

As someone whose favorite mount type has been the silithid for a long time, and who has been clamoring for an HD update to those mounts for a long time, if they're temporary, the screech that exits my body might well destroy the walls of this room and transcend through the physical plane to haunt Blizzard forever, long after my death.

Blizzard effectively wants to have its cake and eat it too by pretending to have this groundbreaking war in a faction capital while at the same time being completely unwilling to portray logical consequences of such an event.

Faction war can be done well, but Blizzard has half assed it and it has predictably flopped as a result.
Quote:
Quote:
Well when you put it that way the Alliance has had plenty of fist-pumping moments lately.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:26 PM

Banished

Quote:

Well, of course. But that's not really how it's treated. Wrathion had to be "purified" to ensure he wasn't corrupt, because corruption is in the blood and something you're born with for some reason. I tend to feel true corruption is about ideology. Either believing in something corrupt, or disregarding something righteous. It's moral decay.

As such, I could never be impressed with Wrathion being "pure". In all ways that matter to me, he's been corrupt since the start. He doesn't need to be hearing voices. The Scarlet Crusade were corrupt, because their ideals had become corrupt. Not because they started growing horns.

Whispers are fine for corruption, but it should at least be shown that the Old Gods are selling something convincing and not just driving people insane. Perhaps starting gradually, because people aren't going to sell out their ideals straight away or be immediately convinced by their arguments.

The corruption of the Orcs is probably the best example of proper corruption, especially when we accept that the Demon Blood is the least important part. The corruption of the Orcs had set in by the time their fears had been exploited to justify murdering innocents. From there, they were led down a path where they discarded all former values for their false cause, and became focused primarily on violence and destruction.

By the time they drank Demon Blood, it didn't even matter. Durotan still participated in the Horde afterward, just the same as all the others. He still justified atrocities in one way or another. He was still corrupt in every way that matters, even if just a little less so than his brethren.
Blizzard really sucks at how to write corruption process. Both Diablo and WC got too many "driven mad by dark power!" scene.

The orcs, Arthas and Maiev were probably the best they could give, Frostmourne still played a big part of it.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Of the models only the Lightforged are in a 'complete' state along with female Highmountain to a point. Both male and female Nightborne, male Highmountain, and both void elves have zero facial rigging at this point. The models are obviously just not complete yet.
I don't think the female Highmountain are complete actually.

Compared to Blizzcon, the warpaint was part of their skin texture as it is right now. But it was also the case for the male tauren who have been changed to have no warpaint anymore. I believe they will actually give them a warpaint option similar to the tattoos of the Lightforged Draenei or the Nightborne.

I am handclaw and this is my favorite thread on Scrolls of Lore!... oh wait, nope... Just another bitching thread.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:50 PM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

So we will see the patch before january 21
neat

Fuck you blizzard i have exams.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:52 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by handclaw View Post
I don't think the female Highmountain are complete actually.

Compared to Blizzcon, the warpaint was part of their skin texture as it is right now. But it was also the case for the male tauren who have been changed to have no warpaint anymore. I believe they will actually give them a warpaint option similar to the tattoos of the Lightforged Draenei or the Nightborne.
Yea by 'complete' I meant they at least had facial rigging.

Quote:
So we will see the patch before january 21
neat

Fuck you blizzard i have exams.
I highly doubt 7.3.5 will be out in January. They have a bit of testing to go and after the next 3 weeks Blizz's devs go on Holiday for 2 weeks.

Last edited by Leviathon; 12-03-2017 at 12:55 PM..
Old 12-03-2017, 01:01 PM

Eternal

Quote:

I highly doubt 7.3.5 will be out in January. They have a bit of testing to go and after the next 3 weeks Blizz's devs go on Holiday for 2 weeks.
Can they test it on the PTR and then add it to the current live patch with a mini 7.3.3 patch or something if need be or is it likely that it'll be something for next year?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-03-2017, 01:16 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

I dunno, January would give time for even the most casual of scrubs to level 4 alts from 20 - 110.
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 12-03-2017, 01:18 PM

Banished

Quote:

Yeah true.

But them adding those mounts makes it seem abit weird.

maybe they could tie it to the seething shore.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:23 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Yeah true.

But them adding those mounts makes it seem abit weird.

maybe they could tie it to the seething shore.
Personally, I was hoping when they were datamined that they would be 7.3.5 Silithus questing rewards. Maybe something like the Ravasaur or Falcosaur in which you'd have to raise a Silithid egg and eventually it'd become a mount.

That, or a Battle for Azeroth pre-expanion event mount. I really hope the Legacy tag on the black one points to that, and not something ridiculous like it being given to original Scarab Lords and only them.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-03-2017, 01:33 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
The new silithid mounts look to be from the Call of the Scarab holiday.

And I couldn't put my finger on what bothered me about the Nightborne model but Nazja is right, it's their eyes.
they are awesome!!!!
Old 12-03-2017, 01:37 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
Personally, I was hoping when they were datamined that they would be 7.3.5 Silithus questing rewards. Maybe something like the Ravasaur or Falcosaur in which you'd have to raise a Silithid egg and eventually it'd become a mount.

That, or a Battle for Azeroth pre-expanion event mount. I really hope the Legacy tag on the black one points to that, and not something ridiculous like it being given to original Scarab Lords and only them.
I would personally like some new drake mounts. .

Infinite timereaver is my current favourite mount due to its well... Rarity.

Tags
alliance whining, azeroth literally dying, battle for azeroth, for the whored, gilgoblins, mop 2.0 sucks, mop sucks, more like cata 2.0 sucks, quilboar bias, world of warcraft