Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 06-30-2017, 11:32 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Some people don't, some people do, that doesn't make the arts a waste of money or make the classes less impactful.
I think they should be harder and less emphasis should be placed on college when it comes to education and learning. There are other ways to learn and be informed. Having a more diverse array of backgrounds and perspectives will serve society a lot better.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:52 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I really don't think this is true. I know you're probably not talking in absolutes, but I've seen plenty of evidence to the contrary.
The numbers are there. Most people working on factories? Men. Most people working at PR? Women. You can keep pretending what you want, but it's pretty obvious to me who prefers the physical side of things, and who prefers the psychological one, generally speaking.

Quote:
Also, for the record, software development isn't this zero-contact sport where you're alone the whole day. You're often working in teams, and even when you're not there are plenty of reasons to interact with other people on both professional and social terms.
Maybe if you work at a tech giant where you can be creative, take naps, and eat gummy bears all day. In a normal programming job, talking = noise = distraction = shut the fuck up. Concentration is a big deal, and it's usual to have separate tables and headphones to isolate yourself. Teams aren't about socializing, they're about checking progress, assigning tasks, and going back to work asap.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 06-30-2017, 12:05 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
The numbers are there. Most people working on factories? Men. Most people working at PR? Women. You can keep pretending what you want, but it's pretty obvious to me who prefers the physical side of things, and who prefers the psychological one, generally speaking.
I suppose it's inconceivable that there are other factors in play.

Quote:
Maybe if you work at a tech giant where you can be creative, take naps, and eat gummy bears all day. In a normal programming job, talking = noise = distraction = shut the fuck up. Concentration is a big deal, and it's usual to have separate tables and headphones to isolate yourself. Teams aren't about socializing, they're about checking progress, assigning tasks, and going back to work asap.
I take it you're describing your own office?

Yeah, noise is obnoxious, but you suck it up and work through it anyway. I've worked in a few different offices where people would talk over the cubicles or across the hall, and even one where this asshole would play some awful 'variety' music station during working hours. None of these places was Google.

And teams may not be about socializing, but they are social. Or do you have no friends at work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:03 PM

Elune

Old 06-30-2017, 09:30 PM

World Builder

Quote:
I feel like you're ignoring a host of other factors aside from biology. Particularly the weight of history and implicit bias in hiring.

https://www.theguardian.com/careers/...rkers-are-male

Quote:
“I think a lot of it is about perception,” she says. “The reason I set up Chicks With Bricks was because you just couldn’t find any female role models; they weren’t publicised. There was an element of: ‘if you’re a woman in construction, you keep your head down, don’t talk about it and pretend you’re a bloke’.”

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 07-01-2017, 11:28 AM

Elune

I don't know about construction but my brother completely forbids me to work at a manufacturing factory because of the kind of environment it is for women. It isn't the engineers that mistreat women. It is the people that work on the assembly line.

He told a story about how there was a woman that had a guy following her around and just kept shouting "You're an 11 baby!" over and over again while she ignored him.

In the USAF the communication squadron was always really female friendly I have felt. It was mostly men but it was more of the nerdy kind of men and not the dudebros. I have still heard things like "I never met a technically competent woman before," but that was rather rare. Your more macho type fields like Aircraft Mechanics were the rowdier ones. There was a shop that if they specifically requested me to come fix an issue my shop leader would instead send someone else.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:33 PM

World Builder

I've seen this around before a few times and wanted to see what folks think of it

Quote:
It just kills me when writers create franchises where like 95% of the speaking roles are male, then get morally offended that all of the popular ships are gay. It’s like, what did they expect?
https://3fluffies.tumblr.com/post/16...y-in-the-blues

Quote:
A lot of analyses propose that the overwhelming predominance of male/male ships over female/female and female/male ships in fandom reflects an unhealthy fetishisation of male homosexuality and a deep-seated self-hatred on the part of women in fandom. While it’s true that many fandoms certainly have issues gender-wise, that sort of analysis willfully overlooks a rather more obvious culprit.

Suppose, for the sake of argument, that we have a hypothetical media franchise with twelve recurring speaking roles, nine of which are male and three of which are female.

(Note that this is actually a bit better than average representaton-wise - female representation in popular media franchises is typicaly well below the 25% contemplated here.)

Assuming that any character can be shipped with any other without regard for age, gender, social position or prior relationship - and for simplicity excluding cloning, time travel and other “selfcest”-enabling scenarios - this yields the following (non-polyamorous) possibilities:

Possible F/F ships: 3
Possible F/M ships: 27
Possible M/M ships: 36

TOTAL POSSIBLE SHIPS: 66

Thus, assuming - again, for the sake of simplicity - that every possible ship is about equally likely to appeal to any given fan, we’d reasonably expect about (36/66) = 55% of all shipping-related media to feature M/M pairings. No particular prejudice in favour of male characters and/or against female characters is necessary for us to get there.

The point is this: before we can conclude that representation in shipping is being skewed by fan prejudice, we have to ask how skewed it would be even in the absence of any particular prejudice on the part of the fans. Or, to put it another way, we have to ask ourselves: are we criticising women in fandom - and let’s be honest here, this type of criticism is almost exclusively directed at women - for creating a representation problem, or are we merely criticising them for failing to correct an existing one?
TL;DR
Since guys are given more screentime and speaking roles in media than women that's why all the fanart and fanfic is so gay.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 07-02-2017, 06:42 PM

Elune

Quote:
I've seen this around before a few times and wanted to see what folks think of it

https://3fluffies.tumblr.com/post/16...y-in-the-blues

TL;DR
Since guys are given more screentime and speaking roles in media than women that's why all the fanart and fanfic is so gay.
That ignores the viewerships statistics
Old 07-02-2017, 06:47 PM

Elune

People that ship other people are lame!
Old 07-02-2017, 09:06 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
That ignores the viewerships statistics
Elaborate?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 07-02-2017, 09:14 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
People that ship other people are lame!
This is probably the correct answer.

The entire premise is stupid. Who says that too many "ships" are too gay?

Then it goes into a statistical argument on how shippers are FORCED into gay ships due to the number of men on screen, while bigots say that women just like gay ships more.

So more women on screen will create less gay ships because statistics. Therefore, appease bigots by making different bigots angry about something else... this has to be trolling.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:23 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post

Then it goes into a statistical argument on how shippers are FORCED into gay ships due to the number of men on screen, while bigots say that women just like gay ships more.

So more women on screen will create less gay ships because statistics. Therefore, appease bigots by making different bigots angry about something else... this has to be trolling.
You seem to be reading a much more... 'forceful' tone into it than I am. It's mostly sarcasm but it's not about anyone forcing anyone to do anything or attempting to 'appease' anyone

My Worldbuilding:
Old 07-02-2017, 09:24 PM

Elune

Quote:

The ships wouldn't have to be monogamous either if we are throwing cultural norms out of the window. You could have 1 female in a relationship with 3 males.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:28 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
You seem to be reading a much more... 'forceful' tone into it than I am. It's mostly sarcasm but it's not about anyone forcing anyone to do anything or attempting to 'appease' anyone
Then it is a sarcastic joke that is not really saying anything.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:38 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Then it is a sarcastic joke that is not really saying anything.
Trolls on the internet get mad at women for enjoying things and making gay art/fic, woman points out that it's a statistically normal amount of gayness, trolls can either let folks enjoy their gay shit or concede that women should have more speaking roles in media

It feels like a fun observation and you are being a grumpy gus about it.

EDIT: Read this with tone of frivolity ^

My Worldbuilding:

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; 07-02-2017 at 09:42 PM..
Old 07-02-2017, 09:41 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Trolls on the internet get mad at women for enjoying things and making gay art/fic, woman points out that it's a statistically normal amount of gayness, trolls can either let folks enjoy their gay shit or concede that women should have more speaking roles in media

It feels like a fun observation and you are being a grumpy gus about it.
A troll trolled a troll. Is levity expected due to her EXTREME wit?

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:45 PM

World Builder

Quote:
A troll trolled a troll. Is levity expected due to her EXTREME wit?
Alright, it's not to your liking, your reaction still strikes me as a bit over the top though. How DARE she make this statistical observation.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 07-02-2017, 09:48 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Alright, it's not to your liking, your reaction still strikes me as a bit over the top though. How DARE she make this statistical observation.
Heh.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:50 PM

Elune

I don't think you were aggressive Revenant!
Old 07-02-2017, 09:53 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Heh.
Well I asked what folks thought and now I know but I'm still puzzled by your reaction.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 07-03-2017, 09:13 AM

Elune

San Francisco To Pay Undocumented Immigrant $190K For Violating Sanctuary Policy

This is pretty outrageous. Why are Democrats trying to nullify federal law again?
Old 07-03-2017, 03:27 PM

Elune

I admit, I lol'd
Old 07-04-2017, 08:32 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
TL;DR
I guess I'm fashionably late, as usual, but I think maybe people are peeved when audiences ship their characters to be gay because, I don't know, the story wasn't meant to be about sex? Probably not true of every case your link is thinking about, but it's kind of why I get pissy about people who ship Frodo and Sam.

I could go on and on about how 'love' doesn't really mean anything anymore, if it ever did, and how there are more important and stronger bonds than lust that can exist between two people (whatever their respective sexes), but basically what I'm trying to say is that shippers need to take a hard look at themselves and ask 'does this treat the original story with respect?'

But sure, yeah, more female roles in fiction. Absolutely. But don't use this as an excuse to debase perfectly decent and powerful stories just because your fevered mind demands imagined sexy times.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-04-2017, 09:01 PM

World Builder

Quote:
I guess I'm fashionably late, as usual, but I think maybe people are peeved when audiences ship their characters to be gay because, I don't know, the story wasn't meant to be about sex? Probably not true of every case your link is thinking about, but it's kind of why I get pissy about people who ship Frodo and Sam.

I could go on and on about how 'love' doesn't really mean anything anymore, if it ever did, and how there are more important and stronger bonds than lust that can exist between two people (whatever their respective sexes), but basically what I'm trying to say is that shippers need to take a hard look at themselves and ask 'does this treat the original story with respect?'

But sure, yeah, more female roles in fiction. Absolutely. But don't use this as an excuse to debase perfectly decent and powerful stories just because your fevered mind demands imagined sexy times.

I'm just gonna say there's plenty of gay fic that doesn't have people having sex

Character can fall in love with a lady and not have sex with them, character can fall in love with a guy and not have sex with them

Just look at the Lego batman movie

My Worldbuilding:

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; 07-04-2017 at 10:24 PM..
Old 07-04-2017, 09:04 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
I'm just gonna say there's plenty of gay fic that doesn't have people having sex

Character can fall in love with a lady and not have sex with them, character can fall in love with a guy and not have sex with them

Just look at the Lego batman movie
Quibble all you like. Last I checked Gay = Homosex

We're back to 'love' having no meaning as long as the goalposts are in flux.
Quote:
Quote:

Tags
realspace, serious business