Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Site News

Old 11-03-2008, 11:04 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default The Echoes of War: Blizzard Soundtracks

http://www.echoes-of-war.com/

Blizzard recently announced the impending release of a soundtrack collection spanning across all three of their major titles, Starcraft, Warcraft, and Diablo, as well as guest conductors/composers assisting in remastering several tracks. Performed by the Eminence Symphony Orchestra, Echoes of War is now on pre-release in two editions, one regular including 2 cd's and another Legendary with a documentary on its creation, 9 art cards, and a 32 page wide format booklet.

A Flash player with four samples is uploaded as of now, and I've got to say it sounds incredible. Even though it's a hefty $30 (not including tax/shipping) I'd definitely spring for the regular box set from what they've provided so far.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.

Last edited by Warlock; 11-03-2008 at 03:11 PM..
Old 11-03-2008, 11:09 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

There's music in Diablo?

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:11 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrah View Post
There's music in Diablo?
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH DUM - DUM DA DUM DUM.

DUM DA DUM DUM DUM DA.

DUM DUM DUM DADADA DA DO DUM DU DU DU DUM.

DA DA DA DA DA.

Kind of.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:23 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Actually, the Diablo 2 expansion had some of the best music i've ever heard in video games. I even have the bnet music player book marked for it since I can't seem to parse the files from the actual disc.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:25 AM

Eternal

Quote:
There's music in Diablo?
The soundtrack of Arreat stirs my hearth like few things do, I can still hear the trumpets roar in the distance while I clean the sacred mountain and my homeland from Baal´s insufferable minions!

To arms sons of Arreat! battle awaits us the descendants of the great king of old Bul´Kathos!
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:32 PM

Elune

I guess I missed it because of the million demons screaming of rage and pain on top of it.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:35 AM

Eternal

Quote:
I guess I missed it because of the million demons screaming of rage and pain on top of it.
Trigger happy teenager, cant you hold your finger to stop and contemplate how much has the homeland suffered to the hand of these ravaging demons!?
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:49 PM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

I just pre-ordered the Legendary Edition. Expensive as hell shipping ($14!) but oh well.

I do hope it at least has the following:
-WarCraft 1 "Swamp" music
-The majority of the WarCraft 2 music (ALL of the music in that game kicks ass!)
-Diablo 1 Tristram theme
-Several of the StarCraft tunes (can't recall how it picks music, but it's either the Terran theme, or it's Mar Sara.. that song is esp. cool)
-WarCraft 3 - Call to Arms (trailer music), not so much the race themes as I found them to be so-so.
-WoW - Just about anything, but especially the new Lich King stuff is FANTASTIC

I honestly don't remember enough of the music from Diablo 2 to comment on that one.

Edit:
http://www.echoes-of-war.com/?info/preview-tracklist

Aww, it's all new stuff

Last edited by Warlock; 11-04-2008 at 08:54 PM..
Old 11-05-2008, 01:36 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
Aww, it's all new stuff
I knew it!

Old 11-05-2008, 02:18 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
Aww, it's all new stuff
I guess it would be too hard to make a musical arrangement of the earlier games' music for an orchestra.
But still, it's disappointing when you know that the tracks in Echoes of War are already good orchestral versions.

By the way, the Eternal Conflict diablo track is the Tristram theme.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:32 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

It still sounds gorgeous to me, I just wish I could order it. For some reason paypal won't accept my credit/debit cards.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:11 AM

Keeper of Lore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagren View Post
I guess it would be too hard to make a musical arrangement of the earlier games' music for an orchestra.
But still, it's disappointing when you know that the tracks in Echoes of War are already good orchestral versions.

By the way, the Eternal Conflict diablo track is the Tristram theme.
Yeah, this is exactly why I was hoping they'd do it. There isn't going to be a huge difference because Blizzard pretty much already went big orchestra with WarCraft 3 and maybe before that.

And yeah, I was listening to that - it's one of the samples on their site. I love that song.

I am slightly disappointed with the number of tracks given the price though. I suppose part of that cost is the DVD.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:41 AM

Eternal

Wow, Eternal Conflict really impressed me.

Maybe i´ll get the normal version.

Warlock, Lord of Scrolls of Lore: Shut up, Timolas
Old 12-03-2008, 10:19 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock
Yeah, this is exactly why I was hoping they'd do it. There isn't going to be a huge difference because Blizzard pretty much already went big orchestra with WarCraft 3 and maybe before that.

And yeah, I was listening to that - it's one of the samples on their site. I love that song.

I am slightly disappointed with the number of tracks given the price though. I suppose part of that cost is the DVD.
While I think Diablo 2 was orchestral, or at least they were doing live instrumentation, Warcraft 3 was definitely made up with digital instruments. Same with the the in-game music in WoW. Only in tBC did they change over. You can tell because the music from the Barrens and other places with a dominant trumpet/horn sound are off-key in a way only a keyboard can make.

I don't know if they did orchestral version for the sound tracks shipped on the Collector's Edition so i'll have to find a way to listen to those before I can say anything.

So, since I couldn't work through Paypal for some strange reason, I borrowed a copy from a friend who got the regular version. The initial tracks from Warcraft are really impressive, especially those related to War 3 and tBC. Their homage to the Terran's theme is also a treat, and the work on the Protoss theme is also pretty good.

Unfortunately, the Zerg sound track seems strange, almost out of place in the collection. They went for a "remix" feel with electronica moments that just don't quite fit.

The Diablo tracks are also a bit overbearing, especially for the last two. The female solo vocalist has a very rough/heavy, nasal voice that doesn't complement the song in the least. With her as the foreground, you can't quite tell which themes are being played in the background.

Overall, if you're a fanatic for the music it's worth it for the first disc alone, but if you aren't stirred or thrown back to your gaming days by it, find a friend to burn a copy from.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:59 AM

Keeper of Lore

Yeah, I liked it a lot. I'm still trying to figure out if they snuck a WarCraft 1 theme into that first track. I swear it sounds like it, but I'm having a hard time recalling all the music from that game.