Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 08-02-2006, 09:06 AM

Loremaster

Default Why do people think Gnome Warriors don't make sense?

Listen for a second, I hear a lot of people saying that Gnome Warriors don't make sense, because they are small and weak. I have heard this before, but it seems to be popping up more and more thanks to the Blood Elves losing the Warrior class.

Who says they are small and weak? We know they are weaker then most races, but that does not mean they would hit you with the force of a 3 year old. Goblins are just as small as Gnomes, and one of them nearly choked Rhonin to death with the strength of an Orc. Size does not change strength, why do you think Dwarves are stronger then most Humans or Night Elves while being 4-5 feet shorter?

And don't even try to argue "but how can such a little Gnome tank Nefarion!" because then I have to ask you, what the hell makes ANYTHING tank Nefarion? I don't care if you are a Gnome or a Tauren, you get blasted once in real life by something as powerful as Nefarion's breath or one swip of his tail and you will be nothing but cooked meat on the floor.

Warriors are implied to be good with weapons and utilize their skill with arms, Gnomes, instead of sitting there like a fool and taking hits to the face, would run around, chop at their knees and feet, and use the small size to avoid damage. The "tanking" factor is only a gameplay mechanic and has no basis on the lore of the Gnome Warrior.

I mean, really... do you think Doomhammer and Lothar when they had the duel at Blackrock Mountain, just stood there tanking eachother until one of them fell over dead? No, they moved, dodged, parried, maybe got a small cut here and there till one of them reached victory and stabbed/crushed the other.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:21 AM

Loremaster

As I've always said, gnome warriors made sense because they had to learn to fight the troggs didn't they? Naturally they would have had some warriors fighting underground like they did.

Also, +50 dkp for the Nefarian part hehe.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:59 PM

Eternal

Now i´m complaining solely because of the Blood elf change, they come with the excuse that "anyone can grab a sword and shield, this is the world of warcraft after all".
And now they pulled this BS with the Blood elves, they say anything to justify their actions.

Warlock, Lord of Scrolls of Lore: Shut up, Timolas
Old 08-02-2006, 01:01 PM

Loremaster

They basically said it came down to warriors and hunters, and that from a lore standpoint it made more sense to have hunters than it did to have warriors. And I do agree with that statement.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:05 PM

Eternal

I don´t care, they should have kept warrior and take another one.

Spellbreaker - Elven warrior trained to disrupt and contort magical energies. These Blood Elven warriors, fresh from the destruction of their homeland, have turned a new eye towards the dying land of Lordaeron. Can it possibly remain their home? Has Spell Immunity. Attacks land units.

Dragonhawk rider - Swift flying unit mounted by an Elven warrior. The fierce warriors of the Dragonhawk battalions are often the first into combat, picking apart the enemy ranks and surrounding enemy towers with dense fog so that reinforcements can strike unhindered by enemy defenses. Attacks land and air units.

Last edited by Vicious; 08-02-2006 at 01:19 PM..
Old 08-02-2006, 01:18 PM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

The thing is, BEs should have never had Paladins. Blizzard just *had* to balance the damn scales though, so some class had to get the axe because of it. It's really, really stupid.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:24 PM

Ranger

Yeah, Blizzard putting game balance over lore is teh suxxors. I wish they would just ignore the masses and stick to their lore, no matter the outbreak of the general population.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:38 PM

Loremaster

No one is saying that Blood Elves should never have had warriors or anything like that, I personally think they would fit better the Rogues, but Blizzard decided otherwise. I think Blizzard wants to promote the Blood Knights, and will most likely come up with a story that all the warriors of the Sin'dorei have moved to work under the Blood Knights because they wish to gain more power and sedate some of the hunger for magic that is deep inside them.

We will see how it turns out, but this thread is specifically about Gnomes, who are fine as warriors.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:58 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki
They basically said it came down to warriors and hunters, and that from a lore standpoint it made more sense to have hunters than it did to have warriors. And I do agree with that statement.
I agree. Besides, it's not like blood elven warriors will cease to exist. Warriors are such a basic concept that they'll always exist in every race even if they're not playable. On the other hand, if Blizz had taken out another class (rogue or hunter), then lore would likely be written for that class to no longer exist in blood elven culture.
Member #14
Old 08-02-2006, 02:29 PM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Damn they removed Belf Warriors. Now that's kinda stupid.

You mentioned Spell Breakers and Dragonhawk riders. You forgot, Blood Elf Swordsmen.

I imagine removing Rogues is better than removing Warriors from a lore perspective.
Oh well.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:14 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScytheRexx
Who says they are small and weak? We know they are weaker then most races, but that does not mean they would hit you with the force of a 3 year old. Goblins are just as small as Gnomes, and one of them nearly choked Rhonin to death with the strength of an Orc. Size does not change strength, why do you think Dwarves are stronger then most Humans or Night Elves while being 4-5 feet shorter?
Dwarves and most Goblins are very muscular, Gnomes are as muscular as me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScytheRexx
And don't even try to argue "but how can such a little Gnome tank Nefarion!" because then I have to ask you, what the hell makes ANYTHING tank Nefarion? I don't care if you are a Gnome or a Tauren, you get blasted once in real life by something as powerful as Nefarion's breath or one swip of his tail and you will be nothing but cooked meat on the floor.
http://www.worldofwar.net/comics/her...ter9/index.php

Im not saying that "Remove Gnome Warriors!", no im not. Instead im saying that if Gnomes had 7 classes, Warriors would be the ones to be removed as well. And besides, why cant a race have more than 6 classes?

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:49 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
I don´t care, they should have kept warrior and take another one.

Spellbreaker - Elven warrior trained to disrupt and contort magical energies. These Blood Elven warriors, fresh from the destruction of their homeland, have turned a new eye towards the dying land of Lordaeron. Can it possibly remain their home? Has Spell Immunity. Attacks land units.

Dragonhawk rider - Swift flying unit mounted by an Elven warrior. The fierce warriors of the Dragonhawk battalions are often the first into combat, picking apart the enemy ranks and surrounding enemy towers with dense fog so that reinforcements can strike unhindered by enemy defenses. Attacks land and air units.
Those were warriors, but even then they were not the up in your face tank warriors.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:59 PM

Eternal

Why are we assuming that all warriors in wow are tanks warriors?

I can´t see gnomes as the best tank warriors in wow, Blood elves are certainly better.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:28 PM

Loremaster

Gnomes technically are a hardier race than high elves, but that's not my point. My point is that while it makes a helluava lot more sense to take away rogue than it did warrior, that's not what they did. I do believe that given the choice between warrior and hunter that hunter makes alot more sense to be their class. If it came down to that. But like Warlock said, they should not have got paladins to begin with.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:16 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrah
Dwarves and most Goblins are very muscular, Gnomes are as muscular as me.

http://www.worldofwar.net/comics/her...ter9/index.php

Im not saying that "Remove Gnome Warriors!", no im not. Instead im saying that if Gnomes had 7 classes, Warriors would be the ones to be removed as well. And besides, why cant a race have more than 6 classes?
Name two races that could have 7 classes.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:05 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuber8900
Name two races that could have 7 classes.
Besides Blood Elves?

Humans (i, unlike so many others, see Human Hunters a possibility) and Trolls (Troll Warlocks).

Old 08-03-2006, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Those were warriors, but even then they were not the up in your face tank warriors.
Blood Elven Swordsmen
Old 08-03-2006, 01:39 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas
Blood Elven Swordsmen
Aye, there the rub. I'm just saying if the choice had came down to purely hunters and warriors, blood elven hunters make more sense is all.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Aye, there the rub. I'm just saying if the choice had came down to purely hunters and warriors, blood elven hunters make more sense is all.
True, Elves have always been the Archers in all fantasy worlds more than the swordsmen.
Just a shame that we will be having a crap load of Lololas and Legilas and Legolas wannabes now. Had enough of those with Night Elf Hunters with names like Haladir, a guy I used to do BG with in lower levels and still hasn't hit level 60 (Haldir, a Lotr Elf) etc.

EDIT: When it comes to Elven Hunters I'm an exception though :p I'll make a Blood Elf Hunter; but only because I have always played the marksman. Guild Wars, WoW, Oblivion, you name it.
Kinda off topic, whats the traditional class of you people overall in most games you play?

Last edited by Timolas; 08-03-2006 at 03:15 PM..
Old 08-03-2006, 03:41 PM

Elune

Necromancer or something like that.

Old 08-03-2006, 04:37 PM

Loremaster

I'm going to be a female blood elf ranger, because I wanted to do so ever since Warcraft II. So what if it's unoriginal, who the *&%$ cares.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I'm going to be a female blood elf ranger, because I wanted to do so ever since Warcraft II. So what if it's unoriginal, who the *&%$ cares.
Yeah, I'll make a Belf hunter and dress him up to look like the Wc2 archers and run around the border shaking my fist at lower level adversaries. I'd love to try an RP server, but I just hate levelling so badly, and gold farming for my mounts. X_x Gosh, remembering what I went through to get my Nelf his horse damages me.

Nonetheless; you and I Kenzuki, shall roam the crowded golden fields of Silvermoon filled with patriotism and pride! Or something like that... >_>

EDIT: Nothing will please me more than raiding Exodar and avenging my hopes that the new Alliance race would be real Draenei (Lost Ones) as their automated defenses fail and Velen is cut down and executed!
I've decided to play BC; calmed down about the latest changes. :p Waiting for more to come along and foul my mood.

Last edited by Timolas; 08-03-2006 at 05:05 PM..
Old 08-03-2006, 05:33 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Why would they even consider ruling out the hunter in the first place?

Edit:Sucks that i can´t make my Blood elf spellbreaker...ho well, Warlock for me then.

Edit 2:Now that i´m alittle pissed...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jdWk9TzgO...rch=lore%20lol

Last edited by Vicious; 08-03-2006 at 05:43 PM..
Old 08-03-2006, 08:57 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
Why would they even consider ruling out the hunter in the first place?
Why would BE's join Horde? Why would Alliance get Shamans? Why would Horde get Paladins?
Old 08-04-2006, 05:20 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuber8900
Why would BE's join Horde? Why would Alliance get Shamans? Why would Horde get Paladins?
Why do people make movies about Garfield?