Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 10-27-2010, 07:05 AM

Loremaster

Default Death or Return of Falstad

Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere, but I figured it would be something interesting to talk about. During the lore panel someone actually got up and asked about Falstad Wildhammer, and how The Shattered says he is joining the Council of Three Hammers, but in beta was replaced by Kudran.

Metzen was being Metzen and basically said "Isn't he dead?" to which the fan corrected him about his survival of DOTD and his appearance all through the game so far at Aerie Peak. Him and Alex then said they would fix that.

So I am curious, what do you guys think "fix" will be in this case? Will Falstad return as member of the Council of Three Hammers, or will Metzen instead make sure he didn't look silly by killing him off screen?
Old 10-27-2010, 07:34 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Apophis#2440

Yeah I saw this too.
They will probably just replace Kurdran for Falstad and place Kurdran somewhere else nice.

Pretty weak that the lore department seemed unaware of this.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:47 AM

Chimaera

Its not weak at all, he's the vp of creative development, where as throwing falstad in Aeerie peak was probably not his decision to begin with. He's not their lore historian despite what people think, its not that crazy to think he forgot, theres TON of stuff that happened in classic wow that isn't that remarkable.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:58 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themiskan View Post
Its not weak at all, he's the vp of creative development, where as throwing falstad in Aeerie peak was probably not his decision to begin with. He's not their lore historian despite what people think, its not that crazy to think he forgot, theres TON of stuff that happened in classic wow that isn't that remarkable.
I wasn't talking about metzen personally. I said lore department, who are responsible for these kinds of things. And seeing as this is a classified as a mistake because he said it would be fixed, it is weak that no one in the lore/creative development department would have noticed that Falstad is not dead and that he was said to rule in the council of 3.

And to be honest, if most people here can remember almost 90% of what occured in warcraft history it is pretty remarkable that he forgets some things, seeing as he works with the material for a living.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:02 AM

Demon Hunter

Maybe Christie Golden made the mistake.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:29 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
Maybe Christie Golden made the mistake.
Falstad was original part of the Council of Three Hammers in the beta. More then likely that was the design, and thus what they told Christie in her original notes. If that is the case it was not her mistake, she was going off the information they told her.

At some point they may have decided to throw Kudran in instead, but Falstad was already written in the novel since that was the plan originally.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:07 AM

Arch-Druid

I honestly think they should keep Kurdran on the council. The guy was leader of the Wildhammer and now that he's back, Falstad can forward him to the coucil, while he continues to run Aerie Peak... I'd say Kurdran is more experienced, but the Alliance is a different animal now than it was decades earlier, so I'm not sure that's a valid statement.

Also, Kurdran is voice acted, a better looking model, etc. and they probably wouldn't want to waste too much development time this late into the game when all they have to do is give Kurdran a line when you talk to him saying Falstad sent him their to represent the Wilhammer.

...on the other hand, you also see Kurdran featured in the Twilight Highlands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
I think I could go down to McDonalds, order a strawberry milkshake, take the bus to the park, enjoy the weather, and then go home, and it'd still be enough to somehow piss off alliance players.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:32 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anasterian View Post

...on the other hand, you also see Kurdran featured in the Twilight Highlands.

And as Kurdran plays a big role in Twilight Highlands while there's a dwarf leave in charge of Aerie Peak. It is a perfect role for Falstad to be in the Council of the 3 Hammer.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:04 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curll View Post
And as Kurdran plays a big role in Twilight Highlands while there's a dwarf leave in charge of Aerie Peak. It is a perfect role for Falstad to be in the Council of the 3 Hammer.
Not really.

Sylvanas leads the charge in Silverpine. She's still sitting around Undercity despite that. Kurdran can be in Twilight Highlands and still be on the Council of Three Hammers.

Quote:
Will Falstad return as member of the Council of Three Hammers, or will Metzen instead make sure he didn't look silly by killing him off screen?
Neither. Falstad will just be put in the game somewhere else.

Kurdran's already got voice-acting and stuff.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:49 AM

World Builder

PvP Symbol - Horde

Falstad and Zaela should fly over the Twin Peaks BG and toss out random buffs to friendly players and randomly disorient or slam enemy players from atop their mounts as they fly overhead...

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 10-27-2010, 11:50 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScytheRexx View Post
Falstad was original part of the Council of Three Hammers in the beta. More then likely that was the design, and thus what they told Christie in her original notes. If that is the case it was not her mistake, she was going off the information they told her.

At some point they may have decided to throw Kudran in instead, but Falstad was already written in the novel since that was the plan originally.
Ah, ok.
Then the whole mistake was, that they forgot, they already mentioned it in the book, which in my opinion is forgivable. In such a huge universe you can sometimes lose track of some things. Still, must have been embarrasing, when that kid mentioned it at Blizzcon.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:11 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Ah, ok.
when that kid mentioned it at Blizzcon.
I reckon the kid was Insane Guy of Doom of this forum.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:32 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

It's a shame on the lore department, imo.

You have people WORKING on keeping the lore correct, and they don't even check their latest novel.

In my opinion, Kurdran is better. It's easy to fix. Hear this, Blizzard:

-Give Kurdran a speech saying how he replaced Falstad in his duty at the Council of the Three Hammers, because he was busy with the trolls in Hinterlands, and preparing defenses for a possible forsaken invasion.

Easy as that. After all, this is called progression, which is just the opposite of pure and blatant "it didn't happen" retconning.

Anyway, someone should post this simple idea at the official forum and cross fingers so they read it.

And by the way, ask why Fenran's name was changed to Dagran II.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 10-28-2010, 05:59 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
It's a shame on the lore department, imo.

You have people WORKING on keeping the lore correct, and they don't even check their latest novel.

In my opinion, Kurdran is better. It's easy to fix. Hear this, Blizzard:

-Give Kurdran a speech saying how he replaced Falstad in his duty at the Council of the Three Hammers, because he was busy with the trolls in Hinterlands, and preparing defenses for a possible forsaken invasion.

Easy as that. After all, this is called progression, which is just the opposite of pure and blatant "it didn't happen" retconning.

Anyway, someone should post this simple idea at the official forum and cross fingers so they read it.

And by the way, ask why Fenran's name was changed to Dagran II.

A good idea on changing the seat to Kurdran. But I don't think there's any problem to use Dagran II. Because the name Fenran was only showed in Magni's Nightmare, which was Magni's imagination. Moira wouldn't know his dad named her child in his dream. Moira used Dagran to honor and remember the name of her husband was totally understandable.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:40 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curll View Post
I reckon the kid was Insane Guy of Doom of this forum.
Indeed it was

I wouldn't be surprised if they made it into a joke like some people on youtube suggested with ncps asking "Where's Falstad?" as it seems Blizzard's style of humor.

I can see it now, a gnome in a red shirt standing near the Ironforge Throne Room who occasionally says:

"Hello... I was sent from Aerie Peak to ask... about how Falstad Wildhammer was supposed to be on the Council of Three Hammers... but Kurdran Wildhammer is and Falstad is not here at all... what happened to him?"

EDIT: One commentor said Falstad should be put back in the game and say someting along the lines of a guy wearing red saved him. That would be funny too.

Last edited by Insane Guy of Doom; 10-28-2010 at 06:43 AM..
Old 10-28-2010, 09:36 AM

Hippogryph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
Indeed it was

I wouldn't be surprised if they made it into a joke like some people on youtube suggested with ncps asking "Where's Falstad?" as it seems Blizzard's style of humor.

I can see it now, a gnome in a red shirt standing near the Ironforge Throne Room who occasionally says:

"Hello... I was sent from Aerie Peak to ask... about how Falstad Wildhammer was supposed to be on the Council of Three Hammers... but Kurdran Wildhammer is and Falstad is not here at all... what happened to him?"

EDIT: One commentor said Falstad should be put back in the game and say someting along the lines of a guy wearing red saved him. That would be funny too.
Coming out of long-time lurking here to say this, but: THAT WAS YOU? If so, my wife and I were watching it on the stream and she looked over at me after they said they'll fix it and she said, "PWND".

Tip of the hat, sir.

EDIT: OMG, I just saw my avatar after having been lurking for many months. I need to change that.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:27 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedpissah View Post
EDIT: OMG, I just saw my avatar after having been lurking for many months. I need to change that.
Dude, what the hell is that
Old 10-28-2010, 10:39 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

This may be the second time someone from Scrolls of Lore influenced the lore - I hope. I want to see Falstad used, not forgotten. Just like back in the day when I had Blizzard remember Luc Valonforth and get him included in the Lich King novel, and even indirectly after when Falric dropped loot with Valonforth's name in it.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:53 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salomit View Post
This may be the second time someone from Scrolls of Lore influenced the lore - I hope. I want to see Falstad used, not forgotten. Just like back in the day when I had Blizzard remember Luc Valonforth and get him included in the Lich King novel, and even indirectly after when Falric dropped loot with Valonforth's name in it.
I'm still disappointed that the finalee against the Lich King didn't end in Luc coming out of nowhere and stabbing Arthas through the face then saying everyone else's angst and bitching about what Arthas had done was nothing compared to the hell he had gone through.

There were also dragons.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:04 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Well, if Knaak has anything to say about it, Falstad wont die. I'd like to think/hope he had a chit-chat with Metzena fter I brought the problem to his attention.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:09 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Well, if Knaak has anything to say about it, Falstad wont die. I'd like to think/hope he had a chit-chat with Metzena fter I brought the problem to his attention.
Did you ask about the fate of the Raptor Army or where they're holding the guy that wrote "Day of the Dragon"?
Old 10-28-2010, 11:24 AM

Hippogryph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apophis View Post
Dude, what the hell is that
I have no idea, which is why I used it

Here's where I found it, oh so long ago.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/yacomink/hot-makeout-sessions

Last edited by Wickedpissah; 10-28-2010 at 11:26 AM..
Old 10-28-2010, 12:05 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedpissah View Post
Coming out of long-time lurking here to say this, but: THAT WAS YOU? If so, my wife and I were watching it on the stream and she looked over at me after they said they'll fix it and she said, "PWND".

Tip of the hat, sir.

I think he was just joking.
Oh and... gross avatar.

edit: damn if that really was him, kudos to you, my dear sir.

Last edited by Nindoriel; 10-28-2010 at 12:59 PM..
Old 10-28-2010, 12:08 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Oh and... gross avatar.
Pretty much, but deer kissing things is generally adorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Thank goodness Golden handled Rise of the Horde, or it might have started with the tale of the Eredar leaders Archie and Jay being seduced by the power of the Dark Titan Gary while their close friend Lenny fled Argus to escape the corruption.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:21 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
Indeed it was

Someone change his title to "Time-Lost Proto Nerd."