Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft RTS Discussion

Old 06-12-2016, 10:38 AM

Default [Theorycraft] Warcraft 3 CO-OP Commanders

So, basic premise: what if warcraft 3 had a co-op mode similar to Starcraft 2?

For those of you who don't know: In the co-op mode you control one of (currently) 8 commanders, while your teammate controls another. The commanders are modified versions of the multiplayer races, including but not limited to units and tech featured in the campaign. More often than not, the commander has a certain theme/gimmick, which determines the kind of strategies you can use. E.g.: You have Raynor, who focuses heavily on infantry and uses droppods, while Swann focuses on mech units (and in fact, can't build infantry at all) and has a laser drill turret from the get go.

Anyway, my point of the thread is:
What commanders could Warcraft 3 have and how could they work?

For example, you could have Rexxar as a Horde commander who doesn't use the barracks, and instead builds the Beastiary on Tier 1 and got special upgrades for them, as well as having some unique beast units.

On the other hand, you could have Gazlowe who has access to a goblin laboratory instead of a Beastiary, and focuses an more reinforced structures.

I'll go in detail later, but I thought it could be fun to brainstorm this a bit.

I am handclaw and this is my favorite thread on Scrolls of Lore!... oh wait, nope... Just another bitching thread.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:52 PM

World Builder

All Commanders have themselves as a hero unit, since they were more intrinsic to Warcraft than Starcraft.

Thrall: Baseline Horde with some extra shamanistic buffs. Can make spirit lodge earlier, wolf riders are frostwolves and have a freezing ability in addition to the net.

Gazlowe: Makes shredders, zeppelins, and sappers out of goblin labs. Can also make a goblin observatory to reveal areas of map for extended periods of time.

Jaina: Baseline Alliance with extra caster buffs. Can make the arcane sanctum earlier, and Hydromancer units in addition to priests and sorceresses, who can summon water elementals.

Muradin: Can play to two playstyles depending on whether Frostdwarf research is done or Bronzebeard research is done. Frostdwarves have heavier air units with Frosteagles to support the wildhammer and gyrocopters. Bronzebeard research has buffed steam tanks, riflemen, and dwarf shieldbearers.

Sylvanas: Focus on overwhelming larger numbers, and staying power. Can make dark rangers (weaker than hero unit sylv herself) but no nerubians or frost wyrms, etc... Banshees respawn with no mana when the unit they possessed is destroyed but this ability has a long cooldown (Similar to protoss purifiers self-rebuild).

Tyrande: Baseline nelfs with ranged focus. Moonwells can rejuvenate at a greater distance around the base. Elune research lets units rejuvenate while shadowmelded. Scouting owl abilities have cooldowns now instead of single uses.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 06-12-2016, 01:21 PM

Glaive Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Sylvanas: Focus on overwhelming larger numbers, and staying power. Can make dark rangers (weaker than hero unit sylv herself) but no nerubians or frost wyrms, etc... Banshees respawn with no mana when the unit they possessed is destroyed but this ability has a long cooldown (Similar to protoss purifiers self-rebuild).
Arthas should be the one to focus on overwhelming numbers (as he is Scourge).

Sylvanas should be less but more powerful, maybe? Also, Banshees come fully upgraded and Possessed units are more powerful.

Maybe Archimonde/Tichondrius for a third one. Weaker units on Tier 1 and Tier 2 overall but at Tier 3 there's a tech that allows you to build Demons on undead structures.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:37 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk, the Bard View Post
Arthas should be the one to focus on overwhelming numbers (as he is Scourge).

Sylvanas should be less but more powerful, maybe? Also, Banshees come fully upgraded and Possessed units are more powerful.

Maybe Archimonde/Tichondrius for a third one. Weaker units on Tier 1 and Tier 2 overall but at Tier 3 there's a tech that allows you to build Demons on undead structures.
You're reading that backwards. Sylvanas units are designed to -kill- large numbers of weaker units. Basically an Anti-Scourge/Zerg group.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 06-12-2016, 01:48 PM

Glaive Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
You're reading that backwards. Sylvanas units are designed to -kill- large numbers of weaker units. Basically an Anti-Scourge/Zerg group.
Oh, that makes sense. Maybe some melee units with cleave and Val'kyrs with Dispel Magic because Destroyers are too expensive.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:56 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk, the Bard View Post
Oh, that makes sense. Maybe some melee units with cleave and Val'kyrs with Dispel Magic because Destroyers are too expensive.
I was thinking more apothecaries and plague catapults with wide area aoe's and dots.

My Worldbuilding:

Tags
game mechanics, warcraft 3