Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Xilizhra Xilizhra is offline

Elune
Xilizhra's Avatar
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,971

Default Fate of the Forsaken

The Forsaken have been... controversial, of late, much to my annoyance. It's one of the two things that makes me feel like Cataclysm is like a delicious blueberry pie, except two of the berries are rabbit droppings; the Forsaken being all evil and potentially treacherous should have been wrapped up in WotLK. However, I doubt this state of affairs can last, simply because the Forsaken are never going to leave the Horde, and I seriously doubt the Horde will be made to be the canonically evil faction, not with Garrosh's sort of redemption.

So Sylvanas is going to be an issue. Unlike the Forsaken as a whole, she might fall, which would piss me the hell off for numerous reasons. Her being corrupted even now is really annoying. So I'm holding out hope that she's been possessed by Detheroc; either that or she redeems herself by the end of the expansion. Or we could all agree that the Forsaken's actions haven't been that evil, but that would surprise me even more.
__________________
"I'll tell ya what de Horde is. De Horde that me an' Thrall built. It be a family. When de whole world try ta put us down, da family come an' pick us back up."
Vol'jin
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

"Corrupted"? This is how Sylvanas normally acts. Her actions in Cata are more in line with her actions in WCIII and TFT than the rest of WoW, if anything, she was acting out of character from Vanilla-Wrath.

I'm pretty sure that in a future game, WoW 2 or Warcraft IV, what have you, the Forsaken will end up striking out on their own, possibly taking the blood elves along with them, and end up as either a third playable faction or an enemy faction for both sides to fight against.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Xilizhra Xilizhra is offline

Elune
Xilizhra's Avatar
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,971

Default

She had no actions in WCIII, and she was freshly dead and barely out of the Scourge curse in TFT. She was much less a twisted caricature from vanilla up until Wrath, and I liked her far more.
At least she's not as bad as the naga. Yet.
__________________
"I'll tell ya what de Horde is. De Horde that me an' Thrall built. It be a family. When de whole world try ta put us down, da family come an' pick us back up."
Vol'jin
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilizhra View Post
She had no actions in WCIII
Did you not play the undead campaign in WCIII? Even back when she was the living ranger general of Quel'thalas she was willing to do some nasty things to win
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Zaelsino Zaelsino is offline

Arch-Druid
Zaelsino's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: England
Posts: 1,708

Default

She isn't going anywhere if it makes you feel any better. The entire faction has been hit hard with the villain bat, but eh, it's having the desired effect.

Also, it was either this or lose all relevance to the plot and become draenei.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Xilizhra Xilizhra is offline

Elune
Xilizhra's Avatar
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,971

Default

Quote:
Did you not play the undead campaign in WCIII? Even back when she was the living ranger general of Quel'thalas she was willing to do some nasty things to win
Like... retreat from utterly lost positions?
__________________
"I'll tell ya what de Horde is. De Horde that me an' Thrall built. It be a family. When de whole world try ta put us down, da family come an' pick us back up."
Vol'jin
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Xilizhra Xilizhra is offline

Elune
Xilizhra's Avatar
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,971

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
She isn't going anywhere if it makes you feel any better. The entire faction has been hit hard with the villain bat, but eh, it's having the desired effect.

Also, it was either this or lose all relevance to the plot and become draenei.
What was the desired effect?
__________________
"I'll tell ya what de Horde is. De Horde that me an' Thrall built. It be a family. When de whole world try ta put us down, da family come an' pick us back up."
Vol'jin
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Zaelsino Zaelsino is offline

Arch-Druid
Zaelsino's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: England
Posts: 1,708

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilizhra View Post
What was the desired effect?
I take it you've seen the like 8 million threads about her since beta right?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Xilizhra Xilizhra is offline

Elune
Xilizhra's Avatar
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,971

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
I take it you've seen the like 8 million threads about her since beta right?
Actually, this is the first time I've paid serious attention to Warcraft since... 2009 when I lost interest and money.
__________________
"I'll tell ya what de Horde is. De Horde that me an' Thrall built. It be a family. When de whole world try ta put us down, da family come an' pick us back up."
Vol'jin
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Zaelsino Zaelsino is offline

Arch-Druid
Zaelsino's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: England
Posts: 1,708

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilizhra View Post
Actually, this is the first time I've paid serious attention to Warcraft since... 2009 when I lost interest and money.
Heh, well, she breeds conflict. Often it's a 26 page back and forth between fanboys, but either way, she breeds conflict. And Cataclysm is all about the conflict.

She does a better job at it than even Garrosh.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Jon Targaryen Jon Targaryen is online now

Arch-Druid
Jon Targaryen's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,426
BattleTag: JulianPatel#1800

Default

My first thought was that Blizzard had announced a new Comic series and you were informing us of that fact.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-29-2011, 01:27 PM
Xilizhra Xilizhra is offline

Elune
Xilizhra's Avatar
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,971

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
Heh, well, she breeds conflict. Often it's a 26 page back and forth between fanboys, but either way, she breeds conflict. And Cataclysm is all about the conflict.

She does a better job at it than even Garrosh.
If it were only this, I'd still play Cataclysm. However, while it annoys me, it isn't what infuriates me... but that really deserves its own thread.
__________________
"I'll tell ya what de Horde is. De Horde that me an' Thrall built. It be a family. When de whole world try ta put us down, da family come an' pick us back up."
Vol'jin
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-29-2011, 01:31 PM
HalfElfDragon HalfElfDragon is offline

The draconic Titleless - Mod
HalfElfDragon's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 15,545
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Default

I have to agree with Omacron. Cataclysm re-railed the characterization of Sylvanas. She's finally her old self from TFT again, the good ole days
__________________
Quote:
Lucio Benado be wanting to say, Hey, what's up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Erthad Erthad is offline

Elune
Erthad's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Stromgarde
Posts: 9,556
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Footman

What I don't get is why Sylvanas feels so attached to Lordaeron while she is an elf.

I can understand some Forsaken having these feelings but it is just wierd when Sylvanas does it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Xilizhra Xilizhra is offline

Elune
Xilizhra's Avatar
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,971

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I have to agree with Omacron. Cataclysm re-railed the characterization of Sylvanas. She's finally her old self from TFT again, the good ole days
To me, it just feels like character regression. Would you want the Horde to be demonic blood-gorged maniacs?
__________________
"I'll tell ya what de Horde is. De Horde that me an' Thrall built. It be a family. When de whole world try ta put us down, da family come an' pick us back up."
Vol'jin
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-29-2011, 01:36 PM
Volkrin Volkrin is offline

The Digger
Volkrin's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 9,019

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erthad View Post
What I don't get is why Sylvanas feels so attached to Lordaeron while she is an elf.

I can understand some Forsaken having these feelings but it is just wierd when Sylvanas does it.
She probably doesn't but she knows her people do. Pretty much every time she brings of Lordaeron it's in the context of making a case for conquering it, so in all likelihood she's just using it to motivate her people.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Xilizhra Xilizhra is offline

Elune
Xilizhra's Avatar
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,971

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
She probably doesn't but she knows her people do. Pretty much every time she brings of Lordaeron it's in the context of making a case for conquering it, so in all likelihood she's just using it to motivate her people.
Also, she's extremely attached to her people and while she doesn't really care about having a claim on Lordaeron personally, she does care about theirs.
__________________
"I'll tell ya what de Horde is. De Horde that me an' Thrall built. It be a family. When de whole world try ta put us down, da family come an' pick us back up."
Vol'jin
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Erthad Erthad is offline

Elune
Erthad's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Stromgarde
Posts: 9,556
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Footman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
She probably doesn't but she knows her people do. Pretty much every time she brings of Lordaeron it's in the context of making a case for conquering it, so in all likelihood she's just using it to motivate her people.
Yeah she probably needs something to direct her peoples attention to, first it was the Lich King and now it is Lordaeron/the Alliance.

It also doesn't really make sense to me. There have to be many members that just don't give a shit about Lordaeron, such as her Val'kyr and former Scourge who saught to destroy Lordaeron. Then she also has elves, dwarves, and gnomes under her control as well as humans from other nations so unless all of the "For Lordaeron" shit is about the continent it doesn't really make that much sense to me.

Quote:
Also, she's extremely attached to her people and while she doesn't really care about having a claim on Lordaeron personally, she does care about theirs.
So is it possible that with Sylvanas raising humans from every nation save Theramore that she will start making speaches about how the Alliance is denying these people their lands?
__________________

Last edited by Erthad; 05-29-2011 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Shaman Shaman is offline

Site Staff - Admin
Shaman's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Barrens
Posts: 12,448

Default

Really, the whole "Forsaken are just trying to retake Lordaeron" thing is bogus. If there were trying to do that, then they would have no business in Arathi, Gilneas and Hinterlands which were all areas that even Terenas didn't control. Sylvanas is an aggressive warmonger and her intentions are not defensive or rational. You even have apothecaries, people who spend their days and nights creating deadly plagues, leaving the Forsaken because they think Sylvanas is too extreme.

Plus, she's got a hypocritical attitude. She rages about how Arthas conquered and resurrected innocents into undead servitude and then goes and does the exact same thing. If anything, her actions should be creating a whole lot of anti-Sylvanas characters.

Last edited by Shaman; 05-29-2011 at 01:45 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-29-2011, 01:47 PM
Xilizhra Xilizhra is offline

Elune
Xilizhra's Avatar
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,971

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
Really, the whole "Forsaken are just trying to retake Lordaeron" thing is bogus. If there were trying to do that, then they would have no business in Arathi, Gilneas and Hinterlands which were all areas that even Terenas didn't control. Sylvanas is an aggressive warmonger and her intentions are not defensive or rational. You even have apothecaries, people who spend their days and nights creating deadly plagues, leaving the Forsaken because they think Sylvanas is too extreme.

Plus, she's got a hypocritical attitude. She rages about how Arthas conquered and resurrected innocents into undead servitude and then goes and does the exact same thing. If anything, her actions should be creating a whole lot of anti-Sylvanas characters.
All reasons I think her current characterization is terrible. Though I still stand by my "possessed by Detheroc" theory.
Of course, now, there's a major war with the Alliance; she wasn't trying to take Gilneas or the Hinterlands before now, and only the Defilers were concerned with Arathi earlier.
__________________
"I'll tell ya what de Horde is. De Horde that me an' Thrall built. It be a family. When de whole world try ta put us down, da family come an' pick us back up."
Vol'jin
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-29-2011, 01:48 PM
RobLore RobLore is offline

Eternal
RobLore's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sweden!
Posts: 4,164

Default

damn I thought Sylvanas story had been released or something like that xD

Sylvanas is more awesome than ever now. It is to bad that WoW is such a non-dynamic game. I am really hoping for a PvP patch which will feature Thassarian trying to rescue Kolthira and then we will find out the truth behind Sylvanas. Because yes, she is hiding something. Like what did the pact with the Val'kyr truly mean? What did she do to gain their trust? Both NPCs and Blizzard have hinted that something is going on and I hope its not "LOL N'ZOTH CORRUPTED HER!!11111"

Sylvanas is one with her people and she cares about them. That is why she cares about Lordaeron.

Last edited by RobLore; 05-29-2011 at 02:01 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Erthad Erthad is offline

Elune
Erthad's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Stromgarde
Posts: 9,556
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Footman

The future of the Forsaken storyline is going to be connected to the Val'kyr. The pact they made with Sylvanas and why they say things like this:
Quote:
Different master, same insatiable thirst for power.
are things that are going to be expanded on in the future.
Quote:
she wasn't trying to take Gilneas
They were not Alliance when she attacked them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Revenant Revenant is offline

Revenant - Moderator
Revenant's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,278

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilizhra View Post
To me, it just feels like character regression. Would you want the Horde to be demonic blood-gorged maniacs?
You know, according to BlizzCon and The Shattering, Garrosh modeled the new Grommash Fortress off of Hellfire Citadel.
__________________
^Ignored again.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Zaelsino Zaelsino is offline

Arch-Druid
Zaelsino's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: England
Posts: 1,708

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erthad View Post
They were not Alliance when she attacked them.
In the eyes of everyone, Alliance and Horde alike, they were a nation of pricks who gave the finger to the world and hid behind a wall for years. If Blizzard weren't so dead-set on whitewashing the Alliance as "generic good guys," then we might've seen some of that in-game, instead of the refugee nation of neutered puppies off hugging trees in Kalimdor.

Also, IIRC Gilneas was having peaceful talks with Alliance night elves before the Forsaken invaded. That's not really a good sign.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Xilizhra Xilizhra is offline

Elune
Xilizhra's Avatar
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,971

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
You know, according to BlizzCon and The Shattering, Garrosh modeled the new Grommash Fortress off of Hellfire Citadel.
Perhaps it's good that I got out when I did, then.
__________________
"I'll tell ya what de Horde is. De Horde that me an' Thrall built. It be a family. When de whole world try ta put us down, da family come an' pick us back up."
Vol'jin
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.