Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 03-16-2016, 03:30 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Night Elf Icon (War3) A Couple Illidan Spoilers

I'm more than half way through Illidan, and am really enjoying it so far. Its definitely the darkest WoW novel, with some scenes on par with Bleeding Sun (the Sunwalker Dezco short story). I won't spoil everything or provide a summary (I still have to do a review for Blizzplanet a little closer to release), but here are a few things:

-The dreadlord homeworld is called Nathreza. It's not the world they were worshipping the void lords on mentioned in Chronicle.

-Worlds that belong to races in the Legion are not destroyed, instead they remain inhabited and intact. Nathreza is full of giant cities and gleaming obsidian towers, all fel-corrupted of course.

-These Legion worlds are among the "areas significantly covered in fel magic" mentioned in Chronicle. If a demon is killed on Nathreza or Argus, etc. they die permanently.

-Illidan's master plan which would have succeeded if a raid group didn't kill him, was to open a portal to Argus and kill Archimonde and Kil'jaeden there.

-It confirms the "only one Legion across all realities" stuff, and explains how that works, and that Archimonde is still alive after Warcraft III.

-Illidan is not portrayed as a hero, the idea being, and outright said by one of the main characters (a demon hunter named Vandel) is basically "Yes, Illidan's a madman, but he's the only one capable of defeating the Burning Legion so that's we follow him."

-The book isn't kind to Maiev. Even Akama says she's no better than Illidan.

-While we were busy questing in Outland, Illidan and his demon hunters committed the single greatest defeat the Legion had suffered "in millenia" by destroying Nathreza using the same portal magic that blew up Draenor.

Last edited by Shaman; 04-10-2016 at 01:30 PM..
Old 03-16-2016, 03:32 PM

Elune

Sounds good. Anything about Tichondrius?
Old 03-16-2016, 03:33 PM

Elune

Fuck.

Illidan doesn't mess around.

All splosions n shit.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:34 PM

Eternal

I'm liking this more and more. Especially the bit about Maiev not being a good person, because she isn't.

Could you elaborate on the multiple universes thing? Or is it not really elaborated on?

-
I wouldn't ask you to spoil everything either. We're a whole month out from the release.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:34 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Sounds good. Anything about Tichondrius?
He's a boss in Suramara Palace/The Nighthold, so apparently he wasn't on Nathreza when it blew up, or survived the explosion like the people on Outland.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:37 PM

Eternal

I knew Mr. King would not let me down. He never did.
-----
Does the one Legion work in a sensible way?
Old 03-16-2016, 03:37 PM

Elune

Didn't know he shows up in Legion. Thanks. I'll buy this book afterall.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:38 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
He's a boss in Suramara Palace/The Nighthold, so apparently he wasn't on Nathreza when it blew up, or survived the explosion like the people on Outland.
Dreadlords must be mostly dead then
Old 03-16-2016, 03:39 PM

Eternal

Mal'Ganis said he was going back to the homeworld in Wrath, didn't he? Then Nathreza must still have a bit of it floating around like Outland.

Also I expect Legion's final boss to be Archimonde and/or Kil'jaeden on Argus now. Probably KJ since we just had Archi.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:41 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
I knew Mr. King would not let me down. He never did.
-----
Does the one Legion work in a sensible way?
Sort of. The basic idea is that when Sargeras wants to destroy all of creation, he means all of it, so the Legion is trying to destroy every AU as well, since all of them stem from the MU.

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
Also I expect Legion's final boss to be Archimonde and/or Kil'jaeden on Argus now. Probably KJ since we just had Archi.
Why not both? Two unerfed final bosses is a nice concept not used often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Dreadlords must be mostly dead then
Does it mean he has the highest bodycount of most WC characters, besides divine beings?

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Lyvef1re#1109

Quote:
-It confirms the "only one Legion across all realities" stuff, and explains how that works, and that Archimonde is still alive after Warcraft III.
So, just to be clear, this will clear up why we don't have infinite Kil'jaedons etc?

I'm also disappointed they are really going to throw Archimonde at us again after already throwing him under the bus in Draenor. Him coming back after that shameful display is just kicking him while he's already down. Let the poor Eredar rest in pieces...

Eternal

Rip Nathreza. Dreadlords must be pissed against Illidan.
Quote:
Without spoling too much if you can't, would you say you like or dislike the explanation given in the novel?
Old 03-16-2016, 03:42 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Mal'Ganis said he was going back to the homeworld in Wrath, didn't he? Then Nathreza must still have a bit of it floating around like Outland.

My money is still on the Avatar of Sargeras for Legion's final boss. Now that we know Legion home worlds aren't just wastelands like Mardum, Argus could easily carry its own expansion for KJ and Archi to be the end bosses of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'danak View Post
So, just to be clear, this will clear up why we don't have infinite Kil'jaedons etc?
Not exactly. It says that it works and that they use this to destroy all the alternate timelines since their creations of the main timeline, but it doesn't explain how they have that ability, unless the the alternate timelines all having spun off from our own means that AUs don't have their own twisting nether maybe?
Old 03-16-2016, 03:43 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Sort of. The basic idea is that when Sargeras wants to destroy all of creation, he means all of it, so the Legion is trying to destroy every AU as well, since all of them stem from the MU.
I'm not entirely sure why we don't have multiple Kil'jaedens, Archimondes, Mannoroths, etc. then, but they also said Legion would go into it.

Quote:
My money is still on the Avatar of Sargeras for Legion's final boss. Now that we know Legion home worlds aren't just wastelands like Mardum, Argus could easily carry its own expansion for KJ and Archi to be the end bosses of.
That's true!
Old 03-16-2016, 03:45 PM

Elune

If Illidan is evil, I expect him to die.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:47 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Lyvef1re#1109

Quote:
That is the typical Blizzard formula. Good thing Illidan already found a loop hole, having already died before
Old 03-16-2016, 03:49 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'danak View Post
That is the typical Blizzard formula. Good thing Illidan already found a loop hole, having already died before
I'm surprised shadow moon wasn't fel enough.

Or mardune.

Or are demon hunters just flat out unkillable
Old 03-16-2016, 03:52 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
There is a line that seems kind of like its implying Illidan won't come back to life in Legion.

It's mentioned that if his soul were to be severed from his body, he could never be resurrected and would be stuck as a spirit for all eternity. That sounds a lot like what Gul'dan did with his body in Black Rook Hold.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:54 PM

Eternal

Quote:
There is a line that seems kind of like its implying Illidan won't come back to life in Legion.

It's mentioned that if his soul were to be severed from his body, he could never be resurrected and would be stuck as a spirit for all eternity. That sounds a lot like what Gul'dan did with his body in Black Rook Hold.
That is what Gul'dan did, but I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't actually bring him back. Especially since he's the posterboy of the expansion.

Honestly I'd like Illidan to just come back as a NE and keep his demon mode for Meta, but that'll never happen.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:55 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Not exactly. It says that it works and that they use this to destroy all the alternate timelines since their creations of the main timeline, but it doesn't explain how they have that ability, unless the the alternate timelines all having spun off from our own means that AUs don't have their own twisting nether maybe?
Well, since they are creations of the main timeline, what if they actually begin to branch out after the Legion is created?
Old 03-16-2016, 03:57 PM

Dryad

Angry

Quote:
-Illidan's master plan which would have succeeded if a raid group didn't kill him, was to open a portal to Argus and kill Archimonde and Kil'jaeden there.
So first he shits his pants when sees K'j's image, and then plans to go kill him and his brother. Also, he WOULD HAVE SUCCEEDED.
What the actual fuck?
Old 03-16-2016, 03:59 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargeras View Post
Also, he WOULD HAVE SUCCEEDED.
What the actual fuck?
Who says he'd succeed?
Old 03-16-2016, 04:00 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargeras View Post
So first he shits his pants when sees K'j's image, and then plans to go kill him and his brother. Also, he WOULD HAVE SUCCEEDED.
What the actual fuck?
His demon hunter army was his trump card. They tore through Nathreza's armies like a blade through tissue paper, with the added benefit of the demons' deaths being permanent.

Quote:
Who says he'd succeed?
Well I said it but that was just going by, as I mentioned above, how easily he and the player demon hunters destroyed Nathreza.

Last edited by Insane Guy of Doom; 03-16-2016 at 04:04 PM..
Old 03-16-2016, 04:02 PM

Eternal

I actually like that he wouldn't be able to come back. He'd still be able to help as an advisor but not directly interact.

Also adds to idea that Illidan's body possessed by Sargeras would be the final boss. Since I doubt that artwork for him in Legion is for nothing.

Tags
illidan, illidan is overrated, illidan stormrage, literature, warcraft