Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 08-07-2019, 06:45 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Default Tinfoil Hat Theory: War and Peace, the two gods of Warcraft

There are only two gods in Warcraft, War and Peace

All cosmic forces fall under them. Like Nature and Order (and others) under Peace, and Disorder (and others) under War.

Light and Shadow are at the meeting points of War and Peace, which is why you see both strong representations of peaceful light, warlike light, peaceful shadow and warlike shadow.

Both War and Peace choose their champions (more than one) and influence them by inspiring their subconscious. It was War who told Vol'jin to make Sylvanas Warchief. But Vol'jin, as a champion of peace (like Baine, Anduin and Velen), has been touched by the hand of valor (the hand of Peace) after his passing.

Sylvanas' actions since the end of Wrath were a direct influence of War, which grew stronger over time, culminating on Teldrassil and the wish to kill hope.

Because there is no Peace without hope.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:09 AM

Druid of the Talon

Huh, interesting, just yesterday I was thinking the same thing, at least about the war side of it.
Sylvanas after getting Xal'atath says some lines, including ".. War is a living thing. It writhes, it grows, twisting and turning until its final form is revealed." and I thought, what if she is talking literally, not figuratively? Because "Everything that is, is alive." (from Unbroken), which in Warcraft usually means that even abstract concepts have some kind of an avatar or a spirit, that can interact with the world.

After reading your post I thought that maybe Elune would be a good fit for the spirit of peace. But she has a face for war too, which... I don't know, kind of defeats the purpose? Unless peace is not complete peace and can maybe fight for peace in the most dire circumstances, like.. not for conquest, not for personal gain or power, but for sheer survival and the restoration of peace.

On the other hand, if we have an avatar for peace and one for war, waging war for self-defense and survival is the job of this avatar too, not only conquest and power. That would make it more... morally grey on the whole. ....if we still think that entities can be grey.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:06 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Would Death be on the side of Peace, because it's the most passive state of 'existence'? Life on the other hand, is chaotic, unpredictable, so it would seem to fall into the side of War since you can not have war without living beings.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:24 AM

Druid of the Talon

I'm not sure if I would count death as being on the side of peace completely, it depends on what you think a spirit of death would be, I guess.
If you only count death as a state of being dead then yea, it would be part of peace, as in 'the peace of the grave'. If you count the procedure of dying as 'death' , then no, because violent deaths would also fall into that spirit's realm.

Also I think that part of the job of 'death' is sorting out the souls and where they go. Like in Bwonsamdi's case, where some of the spirits say they'll finally have peace and celebrate with Bwonsamdi in the afterlife, but if you lead a 'bad' life you'll have some really bad times ahead after your death.

So in my view death is a completely separate and independent entity from both peace and war, because death is present in every scenario and no matter what happens in a world, as long as there is a flow of time on it.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:40 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

There's more life with peace and more deaths with war, though.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:45 PM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

I was thinking Azeroth might become a War Titan.