Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > StarCraft Discussion

Old 09-16-2019, 03:21 PM

Druid of the Claw

Since this thread was last active, we got the new war chests. The ihan-rii are yet another new protoss faction that Blizz pulled out of thin air. Egon Stetman has become a walking punchline. He cannot remember what happened five seconds ago and programs robot zerg to act like domestic dogs.

Damn, that is a huge change from the dark and edgy atmosphere of SC1. It’s a huge change from SC2, which while cartoony still pretended to be serious. The new comics are a blatant sitcom.

I’d probably be upset if I hadn’t been told a few years ago that Starcraft’s writing had always been questionable at best. The subplot about the zerg invading Koprulu just to capture Kerry because she’s a special snowflake is probably what broke my SoD when I went back to analyze the story in retrospect. SC1 has a serious atmosphere, but when you stop to critically think about the story you realize how silly it is.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:51 PM

World Builder

What's thr IhanRii?

Also, did they retcon it to bring "any psychic" to Kerrigan specifically?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 09-17-2019, 06:46 AM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
What's thr IhanRii?
https://starcraft.fandom.com/wiki/Ihan-rii

They are a new protoss faction that Blizzard pulled out of the woodwork as a marketing ploy in order to sell war chests. Their ships and robots are built out of animated stone covered in runes that repel heretics. Their culture is essentially identical to the taldarim, being fanatical xel'naga worshipers.

Quote:
Also, did they retcon it to bring "any psychic" to Kerrigan specifically?
Ouros prophesied that Kerry would kill Amon to save the universe. We see a mural of what is supposed to be her in LotV mission #5. https://forums.spacebattles.com/posts/19765873/

Originally, the zerg were never looking for just "any psychic." They came to consume all of humanity, because that is their whole shtick. Their backstory made it very clear that they consume entire worlds and species, and have done so for countless millennia. From a writing POV, this is a justification for them to fight terrans indefinitely because the story is ultimately meant to be a supplement to the gameplay of the RTS.

The zerg should not get what they need just by capturing one person and running away. That is bad writing on Metzen's part to force them to stop attacking the Dominion after episode 1, rather than continuing the war indefinitely. Furthermore, Kerry contributes pretty much nothing of value to the zerg. You can get a more detailed analysis in this fanfic that liberally bashes her: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1261835...rth-of-a-Queen

The SC2:HotS evolution missions depicting eating just one or a few creatures are game mechanics. I am sure we all know gameplay is not a literal representation of the fictional world.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:51 AM

Druid of the Claw

Okay, so I'd like to start up some more conversation. Here's a subject that should prove sufficiently controversial: the future of the Starcraft storyline.

Given Blizzard's past history with their game stories, I expect that any future Starcraft stories will be similarly poorly conceived. I'm ignoring supplemental fiction like the short stories and novels because Blizzard doesn't take those into account when writing the game stories; the events of the Evolution novel and the comics won't have any impact on the story of the next installment of the games.

Blizzard will most likely repeat the same formula they do for all their games: the sides are contrived to wage war despite previously making peace (which itself staggers belief since the sides generally committed countless war crimes against each other and never seek restitution), some external threat comes out of the woodwork and the sides briefly team up to shank it before resuming their eternal war. Wash, rinse, repeat.

After Amon got shanked, the UED is last remaining external force that can motivate the three races to team up. In fact, early ideas for the plot of SC2 involved the zerg obliterating Earth.

At this point it's impossible to predict any details given that Blizzard's modus operandi is to retcon and rewrite everything to fit their desires at that moment. We can predict with certainly that Blizzard will contrive reasons for the three races to fight again and pull new antagonists out of the woodwork, but it is impossible to predict how Blizzard will do this.

Technically impossible, anyway. I somehow managed to predict the premise of the ihan-rii to a T while making a joke about a lost civilization of protoss awakening from stasis to resume war couple of months before they were actually revealed.

We can make other predictions for the future of the Starcraft story using Warcraft as a model.

The xel'naga, while originally presented as a simple plot device to justify the zerg and protoss backstory, have since been retconned as the equivalent of both titans and demons from Warcraft, even down to being immortal unless killed in the Twisting Nether... I mean "the Void," but we all know it's the twisting nether. Like Sargeras that he was cloned from, Amon will most likely be retconned as a good guy who went insane while trying to stop the void lords.

Like the Lich King ironically based on it rather than vice versa, the Overmind has already been retconned as a "good" guy trying to stop the bad guys. Also like the Lich King, I expect that we will eventually get some silly metaphysical rule about how "there must always be an Overmind" because it's been promoted to a metaphysical constant now. They already resurrected the Overmind once and Stettman's research notes state that every larvae contains the instructions to recreate it, so there's already lore justification to do it without making retcons. Although I expect Blizzard will retcon the explanation anyway.

Like with the Horde, there are probably going to be factions among the writers who disagree over the peace/war retcons. One side will want to continue the peace and contrive external threats for the three races to team up against. The other will want to return to the SC1 three-way war status quo and contrive reasons for them to fight again.

Like the Horde, especially the Iron Horde, I expect that the zerg will be retconned into bad guys again. This is actually a reversal of the retcon that made them good guys and I would have liked it, but the problem is that SC2 effectively removed any good reason for them to fight the terrans and protoss without introducing retcons. In the SC1 manual, it was explained that essentially they wanted to assimilate the purity of form plot device from the terrans in order to give them a fighting chance against the otherwise invincible protoss empire. This was immediately discarded in the game in favor of making Kerry into zerg jesus because Blizzard thought the zerg were boring without her and turning the protoss into wimps who needed a deus ex machina to defeat the invincible zerg (which is ironically a logical reversal of the manual's plot hook). Blizzard will contrive some reason for the zerg to wage war again, either using some flimsy explanation or retconning everything yet again.

The basic shtick of the zerg is that they hunt other species to consume their essence for the sake of self-improvement. So the Third Great War, Second End War or whatever stupidly named war comes next has a fairly high chance of using that explanation regardless of previous events making it nonsensical (i.e. the terrans and protoss are wimps who offer nothing of value to the zerg). So the zerg will restart the war in order to eat the terrans and protoss for whatever retconned benefit their essence will provide. Or for some blatantly stupid reason like Niadra arbitrarily wanting to kill all protoss because that was her last order and (like most zerg characters other than the Overmind and cerebrates, since Blizzard prioritized Kerry over all else) she's an idiot incapable of introspection.

Contriving a reason for the terrans and protoss to fight anyone for any reason will be much stupider. Back in SC1, the protoss were genocidal gardeners of the galaxy and glassed terran worlds; the terrans never brought this up again and were happy to team up with the protoss later. Why would they fight this time? Because the terrans want to harvest the resource-rich protoss worlds? Because the protoss again decided the zerg are too dangerous to continue living?

Regardless of how contrived and stupid the new reasons for war will be, Blizzard will do it anyway.

As for new external threats... gee whiz.

Earth is the last remaining one from existing canon. Blizzard will retcon in more later no doubt. They already introduced the ihan-rii who had zero prior support in the lore. They will probably do the same countless more times. New terran factions, zerg factions, etc that will drive a new war plot. Heck, they will probably introduce new xel'naga factions despite previously saying all the xel'naga are dead.

Anything is possible where Blizzard is concerned, so it's impossible to predict what will happen other than the general formula.

What do you think?
Old 10-04-2019, 07:40 PM

World Builder

You're pretty much spot on I bet.

I noticed in the games and even in the book they seemed to intentionally set up awhole bunch of subsets to each faction.

For the Terrans there's the UED and the Dominion and to a lesser extent still the Dominion / Umojans/KelMorians which oddly got referenced for the first time in years in SC2

For the Zerg there's the 'murder all protoss brood' that Kerrigan started with Niadra which is stuck on a ship, while Zagara is now 'good' with her plant-esque zerg and Abathur is rebellious, plus the primal zerg.

Then there's the Protoss which united on the surface but still has the Tal'darim as their evil counterpart and the Purifiers off on their own.

So any future game can grab any set of these and mishmash them any which way to have good/evil conflicts from any combo.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 10-07-2019, 08:48 AM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:
You're pretty much spot on I bet.

I noticed in the games and even in the book they seemed to intentionally set up awhole bunch of subsets to each faction.

For the Terrans there's the UED and the Dominion and to a lesser extent still the Dominion / Umojans/KelMorians which oddly got referenced for the first time in years in SC2

For the Zerg there's the 'murder all protoss brood' that Kerrigan started with Niadra which is stuck on a ship, while Zagara is now 'good' with her plant-esque zerg and Abathur is rebellious, plus the primal zerg.

Then there's the Protoss which united on the surface but still has the Tal'darim as their evil counterpart and the Purifiers off on their own.

So any future game can grab any set of these and mishmash them any which way to have good/evil conflicts from any combo.
The frustrating part is that most of that is vastly inferior to the political status quo setup in the decades old SC1 manual.

The Confederacy, Conclave, and Overmind were great as far as conflict motivators went. Their replacements are really boring.

I've constantly harped about how it was a terrible decision to kill them, but it falls on deaf ears. Maybe in another decade or two people will finally be fed up enough with the increasingly terrible Starcraft story to entertain a reboot where they never got shanked.

Some day somebody might be motivated to rewrite Starcraft like Marthen is doing for Warcraft. I'm no good at trying because I'm no military historian and wouldn't know the first thing about working out the logistics of an interstellar war.

Tags
gameplay, general thread, lore, speculation, starcraft