Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2017, 07:43 AM

Elune

Summon Monster I + Invisibility: Invisible Scorpion to poison the orc your teammate is gonna have to duel at the death. Have the monster only attack at the last second, so that it vanishes almost immediately after attacking, reducing the chances of it being seen. (sadly, didn't get a chance to test this. Couldn't find out which orc was the champion in time, didn't want to risk it during the fight)

Idea for future variation: Attack someone with an invisible scorpion (or maybe the centipede. It's bigger), have it attack earlier so that it definitely gets spotted, then use ghost sound to make it seem like there are more invisible animals roaming the area.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:43 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Under D&D rules, a dagger does 1d4 base damage. The average human has a Strength score of 10, adding no bonuses. Several of them, due to the military background of many, likely had strength or dexterity scores of 11-14. But only two or three, and quite a few would be frail with old age, sinking to 8-9 strength. All in all, we can only add a total of +1 damage per round from Brutus.

An estimate of sixty men were involved in Caesar’s actual murder. Not the wider conspiracy, but the stabbing.

Julius Caesar was a general, which is generally depicted as a 10th level fighter. Considering his above baseline constitution and dex, weakened by his probable history of malaria, epilepsy, and/or strokes (-1 dex modifier), and lack of armor at the time of the event, he would likely have something along the lines of AC 9 and 60 HP. The senators would likely hit him roughly 55% the time.

So the Roman senate had a damage-per-round of 66, more than enough to kill Caesar in one round even without factoring in surprise round advantage.
http://etherealsuperposition.tumblr....agger-does-1d4

Happy Ides of March

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 03-16-2017, 08:34 AM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
There's a d&d concept known as the hectopeasant, which is a unit of measure for the amount of damage that can be dealt in a single round by one hundred peasants each armed with a crossbow.

Your post reminded me of that little fact, is all.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:32 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
There's a d&d concept known as the hectopeasant, which is a unit of measure for the amount of damage that can be dealt in a single round by one hundred peasants each armed with a crossbow.

Your post reminded me of that little fact, is all.
Is that from the notion that a bunch of first level bards armed with crossbows could buff each other to the point of killing the Tarrasque?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-16-2017, 10:24 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Is that from the notion that a bunch of first level bards armed with crossbows could buff each other to the point of killing the Tarrasque?
I think you're talking about the peasant railgun, which requires the DM simultaneously ignore physics in favour of game mechanics, and inore game mechanics in favour of physics.

Basically, you get an arbitrarily large number of peasants, put them in a straight line, and have each of them ready an action. The one in the back takes a javelin and passes it to the guy in front, who uses his ready action to pass it to the guy in front, etc. The argument goes that when the javelin gets to the front of the line, the last peasant throws the javelin, and because this all took place in the span of a single 6 second round, the javelin has technically traveled a great distance in a short of time, so it must follow that the peasant is somehow capable of throwing the javelin at relativistic speeds.

Needless to say: No DM worth their salt would allow that kind of ruling, because it simultaneously violates both physics and the game rules.

The hectopeasant is just the amount of damage one hundred peasants can do in a single round in any given system, and doesn't require any bullshitting of the rules beyond actually arming hundreds of peasants with crossbows, getting them all to agree with your plan, getting them all in range of whatever it is you want to kill, etc.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:28 AM

World Builder

Quote:
I think you're talking about the peasant railgun, which requires the DM simultaneously ignore physics in favour of game mechanics, and inore game mechanics in favour of physics.

Basically, you get an arbitrarily large number of peasants, put them in a straight line, and have each of them ready an action. The one in the back takes a javelin and passes it to the guy in front, who uses his ready action to pass it to the guy in front, etc. The argument goes that when the javelin gets to the front of the line, the last peasant throws the javelin, and because this all took place in the span of a single 6 second round, the javelin has technically traveled a great distance in a short of time, so it must follow that the peasant is somehow capable of throwing the javelin at relativistic speeds.

Needless to say: No DM worth their salt would allow that kind of ruling, because it simultaneously violates both physics and the game rules.

The hectopeasant is just the amount of damage one hundred peasants can do in a single round in any given system, and doesn't require any bullshitting of the rules beyond actually arming hundreds of peasants with crossbows, getting them all to agree with your plan, getting them all in range of whatever it is you want to kill, etc.

No no, the latter is much more what I had in mind, basically the notion is that bards have some ability that gives a +1 to attack and damage, so if you have a few hundred of them mixed in with peasants firing on a Tarrasque so long as it can't march over and kill them they'll eventually murder it.

Quote:
Method 5: The Macross Way

There's an extremely cheesy anime called "Macross" in which we learn that
the power of song can defeat any evil. This example demonstrates the
truth of that lesson.

Bards have an ability called "Inspire Courage" which grants all who hear
it a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls. This ability is usable even at
Level 1. So, get an army of 50 bards with slings and march, singing, on
the Tarrasque. Each of your bards has +50 to-hit and deals something like
1d4+50 damage. Since your weapons aren't magical, Tarrasque's damage
reduction will ignore the first 25 points of damage, but he still takes at
least 25 damage per hit. 50 hits at 25 damage each is 1250 damage total,
which puts him way into the negative hit points in one round.

Now, you could follow this up with a 30000gp Wish spell. But why bother?
Let each of your fifty bards draw a knife and, singing happy
chopping-up-the-Tarrasque songs, cut the monster into hundreds of little
pieces, each of which can go in its own little jar. (Actually, you'd need
a whole lot of jars. Tarrasque is a Colossal sized creature, and he
weighs 130 tons. That's 2.5 tons of Tarrasque per bard. Maybe you'd
better invite some guests from the nearest village.) Tarrasque meat is
one of the rarest things in the universe, even if there's rather a glut of
it on the market just at the moment - in a hundred years, each of these
pieces might be worth a fortune.

Cost: Hiring a bard costs a gold piece per day. Getting that many bards
to come to one place might be a problem unless you lure them there with
the promise that they'll witness the demise of Tarrasque. This exercise
is cheap (or free) to implement, and if you hold onto your chunk of
Tarrasque for a while before selling it, you can probably turn a hefty
profit. A+.

Level: A level-1 character could do this. Fifty level-1 characters are
equivalent to approximately a level-8 party, but that's still way below
the Level-13 experience threshold. A.

Time: Figure about a week for the bards to gather in one place. B.

Experience: The experience would get split fifty ways or more; a bunch of
Level 1 bards would go up to Level 2. D+.

Legality: ...Unfortunately, morale bonuses don't stack. This tactic is a
complete fraud, as you have hopefully realized long before now. F.

Sensibility: See Legality. This only works in bad anime. D-.
Oh there we go, Morale bonuses don't stack so it doesn't actually work, bah. Probably for the best though.

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dkb1/dnd/tarrasque.txt

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-25-2017, 07:44 PM

World Builder

Well shoot. My group's tank has bowed out of the game, they weren't having fun. Basically they felt it was hard to participate / felt a little ignored, they are at same place as DM, Australia, and so their sound and internet would often drop or they'd have to participate through text while the rest of us were on voice.

I feel bad, I kinda talked over them a bit at the last game during a fight where I and the healer nearly died (Boss seemed a bit overtuned, both of its spells did in the 40s of damage when me and the healers health top out in the twenties and low thirties)

On the plus side, we may have an open slot, will discuss what to do with remaining folks soon.

If it opens up, is anyone interested in Saturdays 6-7PM CST so I can refer you to our DM if they don't already have someone lined up or want to proceed with 3 folks?

Also... is it bad taste advertising this soon? I feel a bit guilty about it but I just wanna be practical.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-25-2017, 08:07 PM

Priestess of the Moon

I've never understood DMs that have it out for the players. The point of a game is to have fun; if the players are steamrolling then buff the encounters, if they're getting stomped despite reasonable efforts then apply a nerf or a break of some sort.
"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs."
Charles James Napier
Old 03-25-2017, 08:23 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbourean View Post
I've never understood DMs that have it out for the players. The point of a game is to have fun; if the players are steamrolling then buff the encounters, if they're getting stomped despite reasonable efforts then apply a nerf or a break of some sort.
Talk to your DM about your expectations for the game. It might be your DM thinks what you want is a harsh experience full of brutal enemies and challenges which allow the players to really flex their tactical muscle and get the bulk of their fun from overcoming tough obstacles. Make sure everyone's on the same page.

Course, could just be your DM's a sadist, but hopefully that ain't it.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:50 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Talk to your DM about your expectations for the game. It might be your DM thinks what you want is a harsh experience full of brutal enemies and challenges which allow the players to really flex their tactical muscle and get the bulk of their fun from overcoming tough obstacles. Make sure everyone's on the same page.

Course, could just be your DM's a sadist, but hopefully that ain't it.
I was just generalizing. I'm quite satisfied with my DM. Naturally if everyone's on the same page its different, but I was more referring to the types that set your low level party against something like a dragon with no forewarning of any kind.

But yes I agree that every group is different.
"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs."
Charles James Napier
Old 03-25-2017, 08:57 PM

World Builder

Quote:
I don't think it's intentional, we kind of murdered our way through a few of the earlier encounters WAY too easily (We like, two-shot a cultist he'd been building up) So I think he was trying to retune the fights to be a challenge and accidentally overshot it.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-26-2017, 02:20 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Sagara#2842

Quote:
I don't think it's intentional, we kind of murdered our way through a few of the earlier encounters WAY too easily (We like, two-shot a cultist he'd been building up) So I think he was trying to retune the fights to be a challenge and accidentally overshot it.
Which is respectable. Only downside is - if one doesn't talk about it, others are likely to draw their own conclusions.

Enigma will take you where Dogma cannot.
We do not create the path to Ascension, we explore it.**

**That message hasn't.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:04 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagara View Post
Which is respectable. Only downside is - if one doesn't talk about it, others are likely to draw their own conclusions.
He seems to have it well in hand, we fought a Bulette at the end of our last session which we managed to kill without too much trouble despite our lack of a tank. It missed its bites, thankfully I have a pretty high dex save and I was able to keep it off our cleric (Though it did take a chunk out of our poor cleric initially and so I had to have my hobgoblin shoot arrows at it and shout expletives to get its attention till our cleric and rogue could sneak up behind it and finally put it down.

It was a very fun fight since we were scrambling on rocks in the desert and it was leaping out at us, our rogue had a REALLY clever idea that sadly didn't pan out.

He had a "dust of choking" item, which was always 'too awesome to use' and also a bit dangerous cause of its radius. So recently we killed a "Free Enclave Navy" guy that was secretly an earth cultist and we looted a cloak that belonged to a pirate-king the navy guy had killed, it makes an air-bubble around the head of the wearer. He tricked the cloak into thinking he was underwater by soaking himself in water so it gave him an air-helm so he didn't breath the stuff in, sadly the Bulette made its con save and got out but otherwise it would've been an instant-kill, we gotta get him some more of that stuff because now that we know the trick works though, since it didn't kill -him-.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 05-28-2017, 12:35 AM

Priestess of the Moon

I've really been enjoying this guys videos. It's been a fantastic repertoire of D&D lore.

Charles James Napier
Old 05-28-2017, 01:52 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
I've really been enjoying this guys videos. It's been a fantastic repertoire of D&D lore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5hpVslGEKE
I liked the idea behind the videos, but the ones that I saw felt uncoordinated, as if he hadn't rehearsed them enough.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 06-02-2017, 09:49 PM

World Builder

This is a neat little RPG, I like the design of the kobold-esque mouse people, having the head-candle be a part of their helmet is a clever choice.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 06-21-2017, 08:36 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Member #14
Old 06-21-2017, 09:25 PM

Priestess of the Moon

The party was in the middle of an abandoned village square when zombies startled shambling from the houses....

I got extra experience points for re-enacting the Wilson Fisk/Russian mobster car door scene from Daredevil.
Charles James Napier
Old 06-21-2017, 10:33 PM

World Builder

Our party had our first character death, our Rogue/Warlock Juhnan died at the hands of what we -think- was a druid (It was in Horse-with-claws form the whole dang time and seemed convinced he was a demon-worshipper despite the situation being... more complicated than that).

My Worldbuilding:
Old 06-22-2017, 09:35 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
Yoooo, so I just started watching Critical Role because I need something to fill the DnD-shaped hole in my heart between my own game's sessions.

How did I not know about this sooner? Only two episodes in but I'm already loving it.
Wow. I started watching Critical Role exactly four months ago. I've been caught up now for about a month, though. So it took me roughly 3 months to catch up from episode 1 to episode 99.

I don't think I'm quite as enthusiastic about it as when I started. It's still good, but they've let politics bleed into their games. So, I watch it and stuff but I don't donate or buy their merch.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:27 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

There's a google doc of a bunch of compiled Starfinder info.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...5zJRJRYUI/edit
Member #14
Old 07-08-2017, 12:59 AM

Elune

Soon, I will be DM'ing my first game. Pretty crazy.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:08 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Will you be a merciful DM or go for TPK (total party kill)?
Charles James Napier
Old 07-08-2017, 09:45 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
Soon, I will be DM'ing my first game. Pretty crazy.
What system will you be running?

I'd offer to give you advice, but I only really have a single campaign's worth of DM'ing experience to draw from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
There's a google doc of a bunch of compiled Starfinder info.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...5zJRJRYUI/edit
I've been loosely following the development of Starfinder, seeing as I don't have any experience running or playing Pathfinder, but the fluff is what I'm really interested in. Still looking a little light on that, but hey, maybe it'll surprise me.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:14 PM

Elune

Quote:
Will you be a merciful DM or go for TPK (total party kill)?
I'll play the monsters and villains according to their intelligence and personalities.

I won't fudge rolls but I'm not going to be trying to kill my players at every moment. I don't view the role of DM as adversarial to the players. It's all about making sure everyone has fun, in the end.

Quote:
What system will you be running?

I'd offer to give you advice, but I only really have a single campaign's worth of DM'ing experience to draw from.
5e. I plan to run Lost Mine of Phandelver and then transition to Storm King's Thunder.

Tags
dnd, dungeons, gameplay, lightning bolt!