Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2012, 03:40 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalpimp View Post
And I think I'll try out KARA too, been hearing good things about them.

This was the first song of their's that I heard (thanks to Bolvar) and it remains my favorite.

This is their most recent Korean single. They have a bunch of J-Pop too (I think they're the biggest Korean group in J-Pop, actually), but I'm not so into that.

They went through a few big style changes early on but since about mid-2009 they've had a relatively consistent style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 10-22-2012, 07:33 PM

Arch-Druid

Today I discovered this....

Old 10-22-2012, 08:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Wonder Girls seem intent on breaking into the American market, but I'm not sure if a Christmas song is the way to do it. That tends to be the territory of already successful people and of one-hit wonders. WG isn't the former and definitely shouldn't want to be the latter...

Plus the English song they released a few months back was pretty bad.

(On a side note, the occasion visit to allkpop is the best way I know of to learn of new K-Pop stuff. Is how I discovered AOA and HyunA's new song, amongst other things.)

Quote:
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 10-24-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Old 10-24-2012, 02:34 PM

Master Worldbuilder

There's no reason for that dance to be so popular. But I suppose that's what makes memes special, isn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:48 AM

Eternal

I checked out Kara. To be honest beyond their absurdly good looks, I don't really like them at the moment. Not really giving up yet since I couldn't stand SNSD either when I first listened to them but I'm a tad let down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
There's no reason for that dance to be so popular. But I suppose that's what makes memes special, isn't it?
Yeah? Well, there's no reason for you to exist either .

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
And that is the Drama to being part of the Horde. There are people out there who want you dead. You honestly can’t blame them. Do you lie down and die for them? No. You enjoy the challenge. You keep your head up and move forward.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:50 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Oppa overrated style!
/dance
Old 10-28-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I checked out Kara. To be honest beyond their absurdly good looks, I don't really like them at the moment. Not really giving up yet since I couldn't stand SNSD either when I first listened to them but I'm a tad let down.
That's too bad. Personal preference and whatnot, though, I suppose. What did you check out specifically?

Quote:
Old 10-29-2012, 01:21 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
That's too bad. Personal preference and whatnot, though, I suppose. What did you check out specifically?
Checked out Pandora, Jumping, Step, Mr. , Lupin, Speed up and another one I can't remember right now. I sort of like Step and Speed up but right now I wouldn't call myself a fan of their stuff. And for the love of Aisha they're pretty! Not sexed up like Hyuna, just pretty. K-pop's gonna turn me into a creep one of these days.

Quote:
And that is the Drama to being part of the Horde. There are people out there who want you dead. You honestly can’t blame them. Do you lie down and die for them? No. You enjoy the challenge. You keep your head up and move forward.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Checked out Pandora, Jumping, Step, Mr. , Lupin, Speed up and another one I can't remember right now. I sort of like Step and Speed up but right now I wouldn't call myself a fan of their stuff. And for the love of Aisha they're pretty! Not sexed up like Hyuna, just pretty. K-pop's gonna turn me into a creep one of these days.

Speed Up is actually amongst their J-Pop catalogue. Which is extensive.

This being their most recent release.

Unlike, say, SNSD, KARA doesn't really do the whole 'same song in different languages' thing. And if they do, its normally only of their K-Pop songs translated into Japanese, and rarely the other way around. Which annoys me because I'm a fan and I like the sound of Korean more. They didn't even make a Korean version of the Mister video, and the song was originally in Korean.

There's a lot of songs on the STEP album that I like that don't have videos. (Yes, I don't only watch the videos).

But, yeah, they are very very pretty.

Quote:
Old 11-01-2012, 04:23 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Speed Up is actually amongst their J-Pop catalogue. Which is extensive.

This being their most recent release.

Unlike, say, SNSD, KARA doesn't really do the whole 'same song in different languages' thing. And if they do, its normally only of their K-Pop songs translated into Japanese, and rarely the other way around. Which annoys me because I'm a fan and I like the sound of Korean more. They didn't even make a Korean version of the Mister video, and the song was originally in Korean.

There's a lot of songs on the STEP album that I like that don't have videos. (Yes, I don't only watch the videos).

But, yeah, they are very very pretty.
I sort of like 'Wanna'. This thing with translating songs in Japansese sort of annoys me too, not really a fan of it when SNSD or f(x) do it.

I've recently gotten into 2NE1, sort of. I like that they don't try to be cute like other kpop group, even though I have the feeling they try a bit too hard to be 'fierce'. I also dislike their leader, shame she seems to get more lines than the other girls.

Quote:
Old 11-01-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
This thing with translating songs in Japansese sort of annoys me too, not really a fan of it when SNSD or f(x) do it.
I think SNSD is releasing a new Japanese album soon.
Quote:
I've recently gotten into 2NE1, sort of. I like that they don't try to be cute like other kpop group, even though I have the feeling they try a bit too hard to be 'fierce'. I also dislike their leader, shame she seems to get more lines than the other girls.
I've tried to get into 2NE1 but its just not happening. I like Can't Nobody and I Am the Best but that's about it.

Quote:

Last edited by HalfElfDragon; 11-01-2012 at 05:31 PM..
Old 11-06-2012, 06:52 PM

Needs A Hug

Because we all know that North Korea is Best Korea.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:15 PM

I present the most hilariously bad K-Pop performance I've ever seen.

I've been listening to miss A a lot recently.

Quote:

Last edited by HalfElfDragon; 11-30-2012 at 05:46 PM..
Old 11-30-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Old 12-20-2012, 08:59 AM

Eternal

I've been listening to T-ara lately. 'Day by day' and 'I go crazy because of you' got me hooked. I'm just a bit bummed out they kicked Hwayoung out. Even if she wasn't really bullied or anything, I still liked her the most. Her raps always gave their songs a little extra oomph.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:10 AM

Quote:
I've been listening to T-ara lately. 'Day by day' and 'I go crazy because of you' got me hooked. I'm just a bit bummed out they kicked Hwayoung out. Even if she wasn't really bullied or anything, I still liked her the most. Her raps always gave their songs a little extra oomph.
Yeah, that whole controversy really put me off T-ARA, whether it was true or not. I do listen to 'Roly-Poly' on occasion, though.

I've recently started watching the wondrous thing that is Invincible Youth. In terms of music, I've been listening to KARA's solo songs. I think either Seungyeon's or Jiyoung's is my favorite of them, even though Gyuri or Nicole tend to me my favorites of the group. Hara's is probably the closest to sounding like KARA's normal songs. IU's You and I has been getting a lot of listening by me too.

Anyways, Girls' Generation is releasing a new album in January...

Quote:
Old 12-21-2012, 09:55 AM

Arch-Druid

First video to reach 1 BILLION views!

Old 12-21-2012, 09:59 AM

Elune

Old 12-21-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I'm just a bit bummed out they kicked Hwayoung out.
She's going into acting, apparently, instead of a solo music career or something.
Quote:

Quote:
Old 12-23-2012, 05:32 AM

Eternal

Quote:
She's going into acting, apparently, instead of a solo music career or something.
Well that's just disappointing. I was hoping to see more stuff from her, even if rap isn't exactly my favorite style. Guess she could still release something at some point when she's in the mood/has time.

Also @SNSD releasing a new album, I'm pleased to hear it, maybe they'll finally do something that will make me like their leader for once(never got why she's so popular).

Though I'm looking forward more to seeing f(x) and 2NE1 release something new. f(x) in particular is kind of underrated imo.

EDIT: Quite a few people I know have started watching Invincible Youth, even those who have no idea what kpop is. I've been tempted to try it out myself, though I don't have much free time for it.

Last edited by Royalpimp; 12-23-2012 at 05:39 AM..
Old 12-23-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Well that's just disappointing. I was hoping to see more stuff from her, even if rap isn't exactly my favorite style. Guess she could still release something at some point when she's in the mood/has time.
Apparently CCM is set to add a new member to T-ARA soon, Dani. She's only something like 14, which seems ridiculously young to me.

Quote:
Also @SNSD releasing a new album, I'm pleased to hear it, maybe they'll finally do something that will make me like their leader for once(never got why she's so popular).
I didn't even remember who their leader was with using Wikipedia. I dunno why Taeyeon is popular either, but I'm not really that familiar with SNSD so I dunno. (Well, now that I've watched some of Invincible Youth I can say that I'm familiar with Yuri and Sunny I suppose)

Personally, I'm hoping that SM gets different producers/composers for it. Their lead tracks have been downhill since Gee, in my opinion. The music, I mean, not the singing. And I think that's because they've been basically adapting American and Swedish pop instead of actually doing K-Pop. I'm not especially optimistic about this, however.

Quote:
Though I'm looking forward more to seeing f(x) and 2NE1 release something new. f(x) in particular is kind of underrated imo.
I think that of all of SM's group, f(x) would probably have the best chance in the American market. Better than SNSD, I think. Though, what do I know? I wouldn't want them to anyways.

I have been listening to Electric Shock recently, and NU ABO for a while now. I just need to fill in the gap there, I guess. For whatever reason the non-Korean K-Pop stuff that falls flat with SNSD works for them, I think. I'm a fan.

I just haven't been able to get into 2NE1, though. I think they're supposed to have a comeback soon. Though YG is going to debut a new girl group in a couple of months which might effect the timing on that.

Quote:
EDIT: Quite a few people I know have started watching Invincible Youth, even those who have no idea what kpop is. I've been tempted to try it out myself, though I don't have much free time for it.
It is really fun. Especially seeing a lot of the girls who I'm used to having very matures concept being, well, anything but mature. Like Narsha from Brown Eyed Girls, which has probably the most sex-ed concepts of any K-Pop act that I know of. (Yes, even more than HyunA)

I wasn't sure I'd enjoy it because I wasn't especially into any of the G7 (G7 being Sunny and Yuri from SNSD, Goo Hara from KARA, Sunhwa from Secret, Hyomin from T-ARA, Narsha from BEG and Hyuna [from 4Minute, but I think she's better known for her solo stuff by now]). But I've really enjoyed it. It has my full endorsement.

Quote:
Old 12-23-2012, 04:19 PM

Arch-Druid

I don't know about you guys, but this video sounds slightly similar to Gangnam style (there's also a part where the guy says "oppa oppa(?)":

Bearing in mind that this came out 4 years ago...

Wishful thinking amuses me.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:47 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Apparently CCM is set to add a new member to T-ARA soon, Dani. She's only something like 14, which seems ridiculously young to me.
Yeah, I heard about the new girl. Even ignoring her absurdly young age, I don't think I'll actually be following their progress as a group after all. I was hooked after listening to some of their songs(especially Day by Day and I go crazy because of you) but the more I listen the more I get put off for some reason. Not sure if the recent controversy is finally getting to me or not.

Quote:
I didn't even remember who their leader was with using Wikipedia. I dunno why Taeyeon is popular either, but I'm not really that familiar with SNSD so I dunno. (Well, now that I've watched some of Invincible Youth I can say that I'm familiar with Yuri and Sunny I suppose)

Personally, I'm hoping that SM gets different producers/composers for it. Their lead tracks have been downhill since Gee, in my opinion. The music, I mean, not the singing. And I think that's because they've been basically adapting American and Swedish pop instead of actually doing K-Pop. I'm not especially optimistic about this, however.
I'm familiar with them and I still don't find it easy to remember her as part of the group, she's the blandest one in the group in my opinion, although I guess she's a good singer.

I'm ok with their music so far, just not the biggest fan of their Japanese stuff(same goes to pretty much every other k-pop group).

Quote:
It is really fun. Especially seeing a lot of the girls who I'm used to having very matures concept being, well, anything but mature. Like Narsha from Brown Eyed Girls, which has probably the most sex-ed concepts of any K-Pop act that I know of. (Yes, even more than HyunA)

I wasn't sure I'd enjoy it because I wasn't especially into any of the G7 (G7 being Sunny and Yuri from SNSD, Goo Hara from KARA, Sunhwa from Secret, Hyomin from T-ARA, Narsha from BEG and Hyuna [from 4Minute, but I think she's better known for her solo stuff by now]). But I've really enjoyed it. It has my full endorsement.
Until you reminded me now, I totally forgot Sunny and Yuri were on it! And from what wikipedia says, Victoria and Amber from f(x) are(or were) on it too! I think that's reason enough for me to make time and see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
I don't know about you guys, but this video sounds slightly similar to Gangnam style (there's also a part where the guy says "oppa oppa(?)":

Bearing in mind that this came out 4 years ago...

Wishful thinking amuses me.
Besides the 'oppa oppa' part, I can barely hear a very slight similarity and that's likely because you pointed it out. I think Psy will hardly have to worry about being accused of even being inspired by this.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I heard about the new girl. Even ignoring her absurdly young age, I don't think I'll actually be following their progress as a group after all. I was hooked after listening to some of their songs(especially Day by Day and I go crazy because of you) but the more I listen the more I get put off for some reason. Not sure if the recent controversy is finally getting to me or not.
I generally get put off by groups they have frequent line-up changes.

Quote:
Until you reminded me now, I totally forgot Sunny and Yuri were on it! And from what wikipedia says, Victoria and Amber from f(x) are(or were) on it too! I think that's reason enough for me to make time and see it.
I haven't gotten to the point of Season One when Victoria joins. And then Amber is season two and I certain haven't gotten that far. If you like Sunny and Yuri, they get a lot of screen time. Like I said, I wasn't really a fan of any of the girls before watching it. And now, I am.

Quote:

Last edited by HalfElfDragon; 12-23-2012 at 05:28 PM..

Tags
cute, korea, music, south korea is best korea