Old 02-06-2015, 08:27 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
I call myself atheistic.
Quote:
Because I'm not an atheist.
What's the difference between being atheistic and being an atheist?
Old 02-06-2015, 08:31 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
I myself is an "atheistic" heathen. I honour the ways, morals and beliefs of the ancestors but I do not believe in the literal existence of the gods. I've spoken to several that do really belive and I'm fine with that. Modern paganism/heathenism is a very personal belief, free of the shackles of dogma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
Belief itself only works with dogma. Otherwise you're not believing, you're empirically acknowledging something.
See, I agree with miffy here (if I'm understanding correctly). An atheistic heathen and a deistic heathen may both agree that people in the past did some fine things... but from what you describe, the metaphysical worldviews are entirely different. Honestly, most people in the world probably honor the ways, morals, and beliefs of some ancestors. I know I do. But that probably wouldn't qualify me as a heathen.

You can refer to the shackles of dogma, but... I mean, do you ever discuss with other heathens the question of whether their understanding is correct or whether yours is? Are there some heathens that you agree with much more strongly than others? After a discussion with other heathens, has your mind been changed about a critical point, or have you changed someone else's mind? Answering yes to any of those is treading close to a common belief, plus evangelism. It's flirting with those very same shackles of dogma.

But that's not a bad thing, because let's face it: when we talk about something that isn't religion, we generally assume that one version is correct while the other versions are all wrong. It's not offensive; it's just the search for truth.

EDIT: And when you read that and think, "Grackle, that's because science and history are facts. But your religion is just glorified fanfiction within the real world!", that's you hearing something wrong and responding with the correct version. Your personal dogma that you would impose on the world, because truth is better than lies.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 02-06-2015 at 08:37 AM..
Old 02-06-2015, 08:34 AM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Quote:
Because I'm not an atheist, I'm an atheistic heathen.
Umm...there's no difference. Contrary to what some youtubers may try to spin, atheism is not a religion, or a movement, or an ideology.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:41 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
See, I agree with miffy here (if I'm understanding correctly). An atheistic heathen and a deistic heathen may both agree that people in the past did some fine things... but from what you describe, the metaphysical worldviews are entirely different. Honestly, most people in the world probably honor the ways, morals, and beliefs of some ancestors. I know I do. But that probably wouldn't qualify me as a heathen.

You can refer to the shackles of dogma, but... I mean, do you ever discuss with other heathens the question of whether their understanding is correct or whether yours is? Are there some heathens that you agree with much more strongly than others? After a discussion with other heathens, has your mind been changed about a critical point, or have you changed someone else's mind? Answering yes to any of those is treading close to a common belief, plus evangelism. It's flirting with those very same shackles of dogma.

But that's not a bad thing, because let's face it: when we talk about something that isn't religion, we generally assume that one version is correct while the other versions are all wrong. It's not offensive; it's just the search for truth.
Of course, we disagree with each others all the time, that's why there's several groups with different agendas and view points from the universalists to the rare extremists. Hell, there's pan-pagan groups that mix and blend but they're usually met with a sigh and a facepalm from the followers of celtic, norse or slavic faiths.

When I say heathen, I specifically mean norse paganism. We prefer to call ourselves heathens.

Quote:
Dogma is a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true.
There is no real authorities within heathenry, the closest to that are the various priests and high priests that are given respect for their extensive knowledge of the old ways. The vast majority of heathens are not members of any groups, like myself. Though I do align myself the most towards the viewpoint of the american Asatru Folk Assembly.

Quote:
Umm...there's no difference. Contrary to what some youtubers may try to spin, atheism is not a religion, or a movement, or an ideology.
Atheism is the absence of belief in deities. That is it's literal definition. but as I consider myself a follower of a faith with no belief in it's gods literal existence I prefer to say atheistic when I describe myself.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Last edited by Yaskaleh; 02-06-2015 at 08:43 AM..
Old 02-06-2015, 08:46 AM

Elune

Quote:
Of course, we disagree with each others all the time, that's why there's several groups with different agendas and view points from the universalists to the rare extremists. Hell, there's pan-pagan groups that mix and blend but they're usually met with a sigh and a facepalm from the followers of celtic, norse or slavic faiths.

When I say heathen, I specifically mean norse paganism. We prefer to call ourselves heathens.

There is no real authorities within heathenry, the closest to that are the various priests and high priests that are given respect for their extensive knowledge of the old ways. The vast majority of heathens are not members of any groups, like myself. Though I do align myself the most towards the viewpoint of the american Asatru Folk Assembly.

Atheism is the absence of belief in deities. That is it's literal definition. but as I consider myself a follower of a faith with no belief in it's gods literal existence I prefer to say atheistic when I describe myself.
There is no "faith without belief". Are you saying you like to follow the practices and traditions of some religious ideologies, without believing in them? What you are describing is basically mysticism and shamanism, nontheless a faith-based ideology.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:51 AM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:
There is no "faith without belief". Are you saying you like to follow the practices and traditions of some religious ideologies, without believing in them? What you are describing is basically mysticism and shamanism, nontheless a faith-based ideology.
Well, imo your "logic" is flawed. I can still be a heathen, that follows and honour the morals, laws and spirituality of the faith without believing in the existence of it's gods. I think you're confuced because you view it from abrahamitic world view. Everything comes from Jahveh in abrahamitic faith, while in heathenry everything comes from the Folk and the universe. As I said, I do not believe in Odin as a real entity but as an archetype.
Call it undeistic sprituality.

you wrote about shamanism and mysticism, that is two ways of describing many of the pagan faiths. Heathenry is quite shamanistic.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Last edited by Yaskaleh; 02-06-2015 at 08:54 AM..
Old 02-06-2015, 08:59 AM

Problemsolver

What are these honors and morals you follow, exactly?
Because the Norse religion have never, I repeat; NEVER, been a unified and organized religion. What people refer to when they talk about Norse religion and traditions are constructed ideals from the 19th century, a conglomeration of all the different beliefs that were present in Scandinavia prior to the christening of the nordic lands.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:07 AM

Elune

I think what Yaska is talking about is akin to being a Cultural Christian except not Christian but pagan. Being a CC means believing that Christian morals are right, that Christian traditions matter to <insert country>, that we should honor and respect these ways that so many of our ancestors did... BUT without actually believing that any of the "magical" stuff is true, you just respect Christianity as your culture, not your truth if you will.

Otoh he did mention spirituality which is decidedly not atheistic and puts him beyond the realm of being a Cultural Pagan.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:17 AM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
I think what Yaska is talking about is akin to being a Cultural Christian except not Christian but pagan. Being a CC means believing that Christian morals are right, that Christian traditions matter to <insert country>, that we should honor and respect these ways that so many of our ancestors did... BUT without actually believing that any of the "magical" stuff is true, you just respect Christianity as your culture, not your truth if you will.

Otoh he did mention spirituality which is decidedly not atheistic and puts him beyond the realm of being a Cultural Pagan.
You've almost gotten the hang of what I mean. No surprise to me, I've always considered you a bright person.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 02-06-2015, 09:27 AM

Hon hon hon

Quote:
Yaskaleh has a belief, but this belief is not that there is Gods to worship, but more conceptualized ideas and values to follow. In a sense, ancient Buddhism was close to that : a religion without a God to worship. Of course, in both case, us Westerners tend to say that it is a philosophy or way or life instead of religion, but it can be both or either for different members of said faith/philosophy.

So, in the case of Yaskaleh, he is more in the "faith" side, so he is technically correct in that he is an heathen (he doesn't hold the Creed of Christianity or any monotheism as his own) and an atheist (he doesn't believe in Gods). Obviously, such belief are alien for societies shaped by the abrahamic faiths, because in those God/Allah/Yahweh is central and you can't really be a believer if you don't believe that the Great Guy exist.

Last edited by Korath; 02-06-2015 at 09:30 AM..
Old 02-06-2015, 09:46 AM

Elune

Err..that still doesn't make you atheistic. Atheism doesn't just mean not believing in specific deities, but in any kind of supernatural explanation for real life occurences whatsoever. What you describe doesn't adhere to that.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:48 AM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:
Err..that still doesn't make you atheistic. Atheism doesn't just mean not believing in specific deities, but in any kind of supernatural explanation for real life occurences whatsoever. What you describe doesn't adhere to that.
Yes, I do not believe in the supernatural such as gods and deities. That is the only correct use of atheism in the context of religion.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 02-06-2015, 09:51 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
See, I'd say similar things to Cultural Christians.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:54 AM

Elune

Quote:
Yes, I do not believe in the supernatural such as gods and deities. That is the only correct use of atheism in the context of religion.
Well then you're an atheist ^^
There is no other context for atheism.

I think I understand your position now, I was just getting confused by the terminologies you were using.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:21 AM

Elune

Quote:
See, I'd say similar things to Cultural Christians.
Well I am pretty much one so what would you say to me?
Old 02-06-2015, 10:36 AM

Elune

Why is Obama talking about Christianity doing bad things centuries ago at the National Prayer Breakfast? It seems kind of irrelevant. Some atheists had done terrible things too and even some because they held religiosity in contempt and wanted to suppress it. There is no reason the western world can not judge barbarism or savagery in other parts of the world because of something that happened in the past. We have earned the right to ride on our high horse. Trying to rationalize a moral equivalence is nihilistic.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:04 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
We have earned the right to ride on our high horse.
We as a collective, as the Western world, have earned nothing of the sort. You may have personally earned a seat on the high horse, but don't fucking drag me along on that.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:46 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Rufin#1220

Quote:
Why is Obama talking about Christianity doing bad things centuries ago at the National Prayer Breakfast? It seems kind of irrelevant. Some atheists had done terrible things too and even some because they held religiosity in contempt and wanted to suppress it. There is no reason the western world can not judge barbarism or savagery in other parts of the world because of something that happened in the past. We have earned the right to ride on our high horse. Trying to rationalize a moral equivalence is nihilistic.
Remember all those democracies in South America we replaced with brutal dictatorships? Remind me how long ago that was?
Shut up your nipples are useless.
I'm a bit slow, but it's awesome.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:54 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufin View Post
Remember all those democracies in South America we replaced with brutal dictatorships? Remind me how long ago that was?
Oh pshhh. That's all in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:29 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Old 02-06-2015, 01:39 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
What's the difference between being atheistic and being an atheist?
"-ic" as a suffic generally means "characterized by/having tendencies like" a thing. So one could "be an athiest" or "be atheistic"... But that seems like kind of an arbitrary/silly dichotomy.

Quote:
Not quite. At least, not necessarily.

Atheist comes from the Greek "theos" meaning "god" and the Greek negation suffix "a-". Basically "without God".

Doesn't say anything about supernatural explanations. An atheist simply is 'without God'; does not believe in the existence of diety.
...Triumvirate has it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I like this guy.
If you're interested in creating custom factions & heroes in Warcraft 3, I mod that over at The Hive Workshop (Also at Wc3C.net).

My primary Project Thread:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads...ehere_.303712/
Old 02-06-2015, 02:06 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumvirate View Post
Not quite. At least, not necessarily.

Atheist comes from the Greek "theos" meaning "god" and the Greek negation suffix "a-". Basically "without God".

Doesn't say anything about supernatural explanations. An atheist simply is 'without God'; does not believe in the existence of diety.
The linguistic contours surrounding the connotation of 'atheism' have moved past its most basic denotation. But its meaning is dependent on its contextual use. For some, it's strictly the denotation while in others its the broader connotation. I.e., you can both be right in this case.

Last edited by Genesis; 02-06-2015 at 03:13 PM..
Old 02-06-2015, 02:13 PM

Elune

The contemporary context for "atheism" is definitely the acknowledgement of science and logic, and reason, to explain the world around us, and lack of any kind of faith or belief system. No shamanism, mainstream religion, or belief in any deity or supernatural powers.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:24 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Oh pshhh. That's all in the past.
It is in the past though. We can debate the objective of it or talk about alternate history but nothing can be done about it. How long do we have to self-flagellate over it or try justify it? I rather look at the big picture. I am glad communism is weaker but don't see the point in playing the what-if game about a decision I wasn't involved in.

It shouldn't lead to any passivity towards people that are torturing, raping, and murdering children in the middle east regardless.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:34 PM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:
The contemporary context for "atheism" is definitely the acknowledgement of science and logic, and reason, to explain the world around us, and lack of any kind of faith or belief system. No shamanism, mainstream religion, or belief in any deity or supernatural powers.
Nope it isn't. Triumvirate has it right.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Tags
i don't eat pork