Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you like about the endgame grind?
Daily quests (repeatable) -- i.e. Sporeggar dailies 3 9.68%
Daily quests (gated) -- i.e. Molten Front dailies 16 51.61%
Daily quests (traditional) -- i.e. Tol Barad dailies 10 32.26%
Killing -- i.e. Battlefield: Barrens 9 29.03%
Gathering -- i.e. Timeless Isle 10 32.26%
Treasure -- i.e. Timeless Isle 17 54.84%
Tokens -- i.e. Krasarang Wilds 7 22.58%
PvP -- i.e. Krasarang Wilds 6 19.35%
Bosses and Rares -- i.e. Isle of Thunder 19 61.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2013, 06:50 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: mjbmitch#1158

Default Favorite endgame grind?

MoP tried a bunch of different ways to cater in different ways for some sort of grind. As you all may remember, Blizzard received a lot of negative feedback from daily quests and deviated from that method of grinding.

Which way do you think is more favorable and what about it makes it so (or just what activity have you most enjoyed with the evolved activities)?
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace was the most disappointing thing since my son. I mean, how much more could you possibly fuck up the entire backstory to Star Wars? And while my son eventually hanged himself in the bathroom of a gas station, the unfortunate reality of the Star Wars prequels is that they'll be around... forever. They will never go away. They can never be undone.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:58 PM

Eternal

LFR is fun until it isn't. Then it sucks.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:01 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Klaxxi rep wasn't too bad the first time through - the story was interesting, and the finish was satisfying. #ThatsWhatSheSaid
Old 09-26-2013, 07:05 PM

The Digger

The only one I ever enjoyed was early Cata's heroic grind. It was legitimately challenging content that provided progression at a satisfying clip. Perhaps if I hadn't been on medical leave at the time I would have found it too demanding to be enjoyable, but as it was that was the only "grind" I ever really liked.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:10 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: mjbmitch#1158

I like how Timeless Isle is in the adventure/exploration sense of things, but it lives and breathes off of rares and treasure chests (which come down to loot). It's essentially a catch-up zone, but the same concept (of killing and exploration) can be used to reward appropriate loot when necessary.

However, players are likely to get tunnel vision for specific objectives with the Timeless Isle's stance on having almost no dailies. Why bother fighting this mob when I can just ride by it towards the chest? I think having some daily quests could alleviate this. The quests could potentially require the player to do similar things he or she would already be doing, albeit in slightly different ways such as having a focus on quest items.
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace was the most disappointing thing since my son. I mean, how much more could you possibly fuck up the entire backstory to Star Wars? And while my son eventually hanged himself in the bathroom of a gas station, the unfortunate reality of the Star Wars prequels is that they'll be around... forever. They will never go away. They can never be undone.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:19 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Timeless Isle, Argent Tournament, Kurenai/Mag'har and Sporeggar !!

It is insane just how much i loved doing them and i am kind of addicted... Before every character had all of your stuff i would religiously grind Sporeggar, Argent Tourny and Kurenai/Mag'har rep.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:46 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Ilse of Thunder was the highlight of endgame grind: lots of rares, challenging but soloable bosses (with plenty of people to help out because they're quest targets), lots of quests, gated solo scenarios to give a sense of progression and a gameplay that reflected that and one or two nice gimmicks - Saurok Leap! Meaningful, not too expensive rewards that also aren't too powerful. All of that alongside one of the best (even if rather lame themed - Trolls and Mogu, really?) raids WoW has ever done.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:08 AM

Hippogryph Rider
BattleTag: Arbi #1298

Anything that isn't dailies to the point where it's a second job. I don't want to feel like a HAVE to log in and daily every day for valor/gold. And I didn't *Have* to but the alternative is farming dungeons for hours on end-just as boring.

A mix of timeless isle and fewer but more rewarding dailies/weeklies would be perfect. Also make dungeons/Heroic scenarios more rewarding so you honestly don't have to daily if you don't want to.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:17 AM

Demon Hunter

I thought the 5.1 Krasarang dailies did it best.

You get your daily fix, with story doled out to you every other day (and then every day), you get to fight over towers and shit, you get to PvP with the other faction.
The gnome, for example, could be impressed by the technology of a conqueror, the goblin by his riches, the elf by his respect for the arcane, the draenei by his moral integrity, the tauren by his calm authoritative bearing. But the orc, who is impressed by none of these things, must always be struck to the dust, and struck down again as he rises, and struck again as he lies groaning. While his wounds still pain him he will respect the hand that dealt them.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:03 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ku'ja View Post
Sporeggar !!
I did Sporeggar rep on every tank I had in TBC, because the shield was part of my essential "farm the shit out of Scarlet Monastery" set.

Throw a spike on it, equip Figurine of the Colossus from Shattered Halls, and pull the entire cathedral at once. Pop trinket when health gets low, watch huge group of trash die on the shield. Inspired by Hobbs...

Those were the days...

Old 10-10-2013, 12:41 AM

Wisp
BattleTag: WildMalakain#2892

So far, the isle of thunder and the timeless isle have been my favourites, due to the huge number of "rares" as well as just how nice it feels when you get something cool like a pet or a vanity item.

Last edited by malakain; 10-10-2013 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: rares > "rares"
Old 10-10-2013, 05:11 AM

Eternal

5.1 and 5.2 had probably the best use of dailies.

The story quest tie-ins to the reps was a really, really good idea. Like one of my favorite ideas ever.

The dailies themselves had variety almost every day and the only shitty dailies were the ones in the cave for 5.1 (and that's only because the cave was too small). The ability to choose PvE or PvP quests in 5.2 was - again - a really, really good idea.

The rares for both 5.1 and 5.2 were really nice touches too.

The only bad part about 5.2 was that by the time everything unlocked it was too many dailies spread over the island. Didn't enjoy the running around.

But it isn't likely we'll see anything like that again. Blizz seems to want to shift to the boring isle Timeless Isle thing completely - so they're probably going to jump from one extreme (too many dailies spread across too many zones) to the other (a handful of Timeless Isle hubs).
Old 10-10-2013, 11:06 AM

Eternal

My favorite so far has been the Isle of Thunder, with the Landfall content just behind it.

I thought Isle of Thunder was fantastic. A good amount of dailies, fantastic atmosphere, progressive storyline, fun solo scenarios, the PvE vs. PvP aspect, rares, variety of achievements to go after, and it all culminating in a massive raid. Hands down my favorite.

Landfall is like a mini version of Isle of Thunder. The dailies in Krasarang were fun, the altered terrain was a good reflection of the Alliance and Horde showing up en masse, and the gated storyline that brought us across Pandaria, Kalimdor and Dalaran was great.

In the middle there's the original expansion endgame daily grind. Personally, I love dailies, but I found the sheer amount of them annoying. And if I found them annoying, then non-daily lovers must've hated them. Even then though, it wasn't too bad. I just focused on one faction at a time. Golden Lotus was a bitch and a half though.

Finally, we have the ones I don't like. Battlefield: Barrens and Timeless Isle.

Battlefield: Barrens was just...not much. Especially Alliance side, since our lead in questchain was pretty short and memorable for the wrong reasons ("mechanical cat spying!"). Then the actual Barrens content was alright for a couple days, but then I got what I wanted and that was it for the rest of the patch.

Timeless Isle is something different. I'll admit upfront I haven't played much of it due to having a LOT more hours at work and not wanting to spend my few hours of free time on grinding in WoW. But what time I did spend there just felt aimless. I joined a raid where we took down the August Celestials. That was fun, if not particularly challenging. Then I wandered around some and looted a fire chest. I wasn't sure what else to do so I logged off and haven't gone back.

Last edited by Tilgath; 10-10-2013 at 11:10 AM..
Old 10-10-2013, 12:28 PM

Glaive Thrower

I liked the rep grinds where there is some sense of progression in the world because of my actions.

Operation: Shieldwall/ Dominance Offensive was quite fun because of the amount of story we got at certain check points within the rep grind that seemed highly achievable within a short span of time (like 2-3 days).
The Isle of Thunder factions were also good with their progressing story and world to match our actions. I would however have preferred somewhat more story as to be on par with the 5.1 factions. Also the daily grind was a lot worse.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:34 PM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

Definitely not gear grins in LFR.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:42 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garotar View Post
Definitely not gear grins in LFR.
LFR loot system is definitely bollocks.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:33 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

One thing in sort of sad never resurfaced was the Dungeon Set upgrade quest and challenges. I remember that fondly, should have always existed in vanilla endgame. Stuff like new bosses in stagnant old dungeons, the strath gauntlet, wish they still did that. Kind of miss dungeon sets too for that matter.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:39 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

The Molten Front is the only end-game stuff I've ever participated in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 10-10-2013, 11:49 PM

Elune

BC prof grind to get high level armor in the form of FSW.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:50 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Nyarsz#1553

Krarasang and isle of thunder did it best. I like rares and bosses.

The problem with the Timeless isle, is that it lacks progression. everything is there to explore, and when you do that, people will consume everything in the first 2-3 days and then leave. everyone was doing the celestials on the first week, and now you have to jump into oqueue to get one, and on specific times.

Gated progression could have worked here nicely. It is not bad to gate progression behind a story, the only problem was with 5.0 and the most interesting reps behind the Golden Lotus rep.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:49 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

5.1 content still is great (lion's landing with the battle at tower + potion of luck = 1.5k g an hour just from gold and vendoring the greys, selling the other stuff can net you about 3.5k+ extra (4.5k/HOUR+) Which is nice...
Old 10-12-2013, 11:28 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

To me combining the exploration of Timeless Isle with a daily quest story, regular daily quests and (this is an important one) actually having the stuff deal with the current story would be nice. Then of course 5 mans since LFR queues take too long and have too low of a drop rate for them to be a replacement for 5 mans.

Tags
dailies fall into lava, world of warcraft