Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 11-18-2010, 11:03 AM

Archer

Default Who is more powerful with the Arcane? The Alliance or the Horde?

Hey guys, Norgannon the Dreamweaver here! I decided to make this post to those who think the Horde beat the Alliance with the Arcane. I will tell you HOW the Alliance are more powerful with the Arcane then the HOrde. I will also tell you the population of the certain race. And please note that the population I am showing you is not the population of mages for that race, but the entire population of that certain race. And don't go nerd rage if you think the population is wrong. I got them from the only source of a WoW/Warcraft book which HAS the population. And in Cataclysm this could all change.

The Alliance Mage Races:

Alliance Humans. Population: Atleast 190,000. The Alliance Humans were taught by the High Elves with the Arcane, but the High Elves were very shocked to discover that the Humans could summon more raw magic then the High Elves ever could. But the Humans lacked the control the High Elves had. So the common Human Mage is considered a powerhouse of Arcane magic while the common High Elf is known for their control. The humans even built the number one city of the Arcane and learning of the Arcane, known as Dalaran. They even created the sect of the most powerful mages in all of Azeroth, known as the Kirin Tor. And MOST of the most powerful mages in the lore, ARE human. The human mages are indeed a very powerful. They are also known as very good learners. Also, in the lore it is said the humans are the most populated out of all magic users, mostly mages.

High Elves. Population: 25,000. The High Elves taught Humans the Arcane and were shocked to discover that the humans could summon more raw magic then they ever could. But the High Elves still had better control over the Arcane. So both races are somewhat different from eachother. The High Elves tend to use frost magic over fire magic. While their hated Blood Elves use fire magic over frost magic. At the moment, 90% of the High Elves became Blood Elves, with 15% of those Blood Elves joining Illidan in Outland, and who knows how much Wretched. The High Elves live longer then the humans which means they have more knowledge of the Arcane then them. The only race which knows more then them are the Dranei, who are the most knowledgable race playable due to their long lives. You could consider the High Elves being the better controllers of the Arcane for the Alliance, as aposed to most of the mages of the Alliance being powerhouse humans. Just like the Forsaken are the Hordes powerhouse of the Arcane, The High Elf mages are indeed very powerful.

Night Elves. Population: Atleast 45,000. The Night Elves were one of the FIRST mortal races to master the Arcane. And they were very skilled at it. But the most powerful and skilled of those Elves were the Highborne, especily Queen Azshara. They had the most powerful source of arcane magic on Azeroth the Titans had left for them. Known as the Well of Eternity. Which is more powerful then any known magical source today. Their magic attracted the fallen Titan known as Sargeras, and he tricked them into summoning him. Eventualy the war grew out of hand and the Night Elves ( Not the Highborne ) stopped them. But in turn the Well of Eternity blew up, and the entire world was changed forever. After the Sundering, which is when the Well of Eternity exploded, the Night Elves forbade Arcane magic, but some Highborne didn't listen, and they were cast out. They found the land of Quel'Thalas and created the Sunwell with ONE vial of the Well of Eternity. They eventualy became High Elves. In Cataclysm, Highborne will rejoin the Night Elves, which will bolster the Arcane might of the Alliance. The Night Elves are indeed a very powerful mage race, but most of them don't use the Arcane until Cataclysm. The Highborne joining are also over 8000 years old due to their immortality through that demon in Dire Maul. Which means they would be the second most knowledgable race of the arcane in the Alliance, after the Draenei.

Dwarves. Population: Atleast 55,000. The Dwarves are split up into 3 factons. Wildhammer, the Shamanistic and nature loving Dwarves. Ironforge, holy wieding and warrior like Dwarves who love to forge and drink beer! Yay!. Dark Iron, the Sorcerer and fiery from the deep parts of the earth Dwarves. Out of these Dwarves, the Dark Irons are the most known Dwarven Mages. But Ironforge Dwarves still have been known to mages, mabye not as much as the dark irons, but Blizzard never let them as a class. But in Cataclysm, the Dark Irons split up into TWO groups. Ones who join Ironforge, led by Moria, the daughter of Magni. And the ones who joined the Twilights Hammer. So I am guessing because of the Dark Irons joining, the Ironforge Dwarves will have a bigger population of mages. But from all this. It would seem proper as they are related to the Titans. Kinda. And as the Titans are far more powerful with any known magical type of any other race in the lore. So it would be proper for them to learn off of them. Even though most of them are not on Azeroth.

Gnomes. Population: Atleast 2,800. The Gnomes have ONE important thing to note. They are very smart! And Gnome Mages are known to be the most creative of all the mages accrording to the lore. Their spells either end up brilliant or very bad. Gnomes could also end up as Techno Mages, which are Mages who use technology with the Arcane, and knowing Gnomes, it could be a good combo for them.

Draenei. Population: Atleast 20,000. The Draenei are the immortal race of the Alliance. They were once called the Eredar, but now have changed their names to the Draenei, meaning "Exiled Ones" Though they are still Eredar, they are just another group of them, the other being the Manari Eredar who are the leading demons of the Burning Legion. They once lived on a wonderful world known as Argus, whose races were also inteligent. They mastered magic of all forms. And they were so powerful and talented with magic, that Sargeras even wanted them to be his number one demonic race. The Draenei now work with two things. First, their new great love for the Holy Light, which their Naaru friends are made of. And second, the path of the Arcane, which they have always followed. The Draenei are probobly one the most knowledgable mages in all of Azeroth due to their immortal lives. They would even more knowledgable then the High Elves, Blood Elves and the Highborne as the Draenei are known to have lived long before the Elves came to be. So it would seem they are the most knowledgable playable race in the game. Some of the Draenei have lived over 25,000. And example being Velen. Draenei being the most knoledgable race shows that they are one of most powerful mages in Azeroth.
The Draenei, Humans, High Elves, Highborne ( mabye gnomes and dwarves ) and the Worgen are probobly the most powerful Arcane users of the Alliance, as oposed to the Blood Elves and the Forsaken being the most powerful Arcane users of the Horde.

Alliance Worgen. Population: Unknown. Not much to explain here. the Alliance Worgen are just humans who have the worgen curse! Coolness extreme! So that means they are just another powerhouse of the Arcane like the common human mage.

The Horde Mage Races:

Horde Blood Elves. Population: Atleast 150,000. The Blood Elves are basicly High Elves who renamed themselves "Blood Elves" to honor their fallen bretheren and to remember the destruction of their kingdom. 90% of the High Elves became Blood Elves. 15% of those Blood Elves joined Illidan in Outland. And who knows how much Wretched came after. The Blood Elves and the Forsaken are probobly the most powerful mage races in the Horde. The Blood Elves use fire magic over frost magic, while their hated High Elves use frost magic over fire magic. They used to have a powerful source of the arcane, but not anymore. They got their Sunwell back, but it has holy magic now. ( new opening of belves in cata tells you ) Which was due to the spark of the dying Naaru in the raid. ( This does not means the Horde are more powerful with the Holy Light then the Alliance now ) This is also funny considering the Sunwell is now empowered by Naaru magic, but even more funny that the Draenei have a living Naaru in their city. So the Alliance have portable sunwell in a way. Hehe.

Forsaken. Population: Atleast 16,000. The Forsaken are basicly dead humans. Which means they are just another powerhouse of the Arcane for the Horde as oposed to the Blood Elves, being better controllers of the Arcane, Just like the High Elves are the better controllers of the Arcane for the Alliance.
The forsaken and the Blood Elves are probobly the most powerful arcane users in the Horde, as oposed to the Draenei, Humans, High Elves, Highborne and the Worgen being the most powerful Arcane users of the Alliance. Lore wise, the Forsaken like to use frost magic as they are cold in death.

Darkspear Trolls. Population: Atleast 6,500. The Trolls will learn anything for the better of their tribe, this includes the Arcane. Not much to say here.

Horde Goblins. Population: Unknown. The Horde Goblins have seen to be mages, so they could be brilliant mages just like the Gnomes, thought mabye not as brilliant, as the gnomes invent for fun, while Goblins just do it for cash, and they wont go far into fixing their probloms unlike Gnomes. Goblins could end up as Techno Mages, which are mages who use tecnology with the Arcane, and knowing the Goblins, it could be a good combo for them.

Horde Orcs. Population: Atleast 18,000. In Cataclysm, the Orcs will become mages, which makes sense as alot of Warlocks are former Mages, and alot of ARE Warlocks, which means it could go vise versa. Mage to Warlock. And mabye Warlock to Mage now. But that is only something to think about. But then again, some Orcs have been seen to be mage like. So I guess that is why they are mages. If Orcs are good warlocks, then mabye they can be good mages just like the humans.

Tauren. Population: Atleast 8000. I couldn't help but put them in this, because I have only seen one Tauren mage, the one in BRD. Though mabye I have seen more.

So in the end, it seems the Alliance have the better advantage over the arcane. Lore wise, the human race have the biggest population of mages on Azeroth. Though in the new book the Shattering it is revealed that the Alliance lost 50,000 during the war with the Lich King, and yet that is still not enough for the horde to over populate them. Though you can't expect the Horde to have lost none either.

What do you guys think? This post pretty much sums it up.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:04 AM

Site Staff - Admin

To be honest, we just don't have enough actual facts and figures to make a rational judgement. Draenei mages could be much more powerful with the arcane than say the Forsaken, but what if there are simply more Undead mages to balance that? Dwarf mages could also be stronger than the Orc mages, but how exactly are we meant to measure and compare them?

Last edited by Shaman; 11-18-2010 at 11:08 AM..
Old 11-18-2010, 11:22 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I'd say the combination of the Draenei and Highborne Night Elves' pedigree and long period of practice with the arcane combined with the balls-to-the-wall innovation of gnomes definitely gives the Alliance a one-up. The horde, by contrast, really, the only notable "mage race" the horde has are the blood elves, who, while impressive, don't hold a candle to their highborne ancestors.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:27 AM

Keeper of the Grove

You can't put hard and fast numbers on the races. Approximations, yes, but any hard numbers are just folly to claim as authoritative.

Anyways you can't count just numbers. The Alliance may well outnumber the Horde in arcane users/power of said users, but the Horde has control over the Sunwell, which is the most powerful source of magic on the planet that is possible to use (aka the dragons and the Night Elves/whoever's in charge of Hyjal now aren't going to let anyone use the Well of Eternity for spells).

Last edited by Daiol; 11-18-2010 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: forgot a line
Old 11-18-2010, 11:30 AM

Are you sure the horde "controls" it? Sunwell Isle was liberated by the SSO and high elf pilgrims are fully entitled to go to it. At the very least they probably HAVE to share the sunwell with the Alliance, and at worst they're simply using it with the permission of the SSO.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:34 AM

Arch-Druid

I actually wasn't aware this argument existed, but I think I would have always assumed that the Alliance would have had the advantage here regardless. Mostly Human nation of Dalaran, the Highborne, Draenei, Gnomes, now Dwarves as well. Was there a big "Horde is better at Arcane" argument going on that I wasn't aware of?
Old 11-18-2010, 11:34 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Are you sure the horde "controls" it? Sunwell Isle was liberated by the SSO and high elf pilgrims are fully entitled to go to it. At the very least they probably HAVE to share the sunwell with the Alliance, and at worst they're simply using it with the permission of the SSO.
Point, but honestly it could go either way. the Aldor could well have wanted to get back to Shattrath (or join Velen on the Azuremyst Isles), and I have a feeling the Scryers, if push came to shove, would side with Silvermoon over the (remaining) High Elves.

Also, if it did come down to it, the Horde could occupy the island much easier than the Alliance could. Would piss off the Sha'tar something bad tho.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:39 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

One on one, a draenei is gonna be the strongest mage. Just saying.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:45 AM

Eternal

Shadow Orb

I'm curious where exactly did you get those population numbers.

As Sarah said we don't have enough facts yet, though I imagine the alliance would have an advantage , with them having a bigger population and the races that form the alliance are generally more arcane orientated.
Not that I think there's any race in the Alliance that comes close to blood elves when it comes to affinity for magic, but blood elves are presumably few and just one race, the forsaken might come in handy but still that's 2 races with a strong tradition in magic vs 3 or 4 that are similar ? (highborne, humans, gnomes, draenei).

As far as I know orcs, trolls and goblins despite being able to be mages aren't exactly the most arcane inclined races. On the alliance only the dwarfs would be in a similar situation.

Of course it depends on how well the mages/warlocks can work together against the enemy.

Antonidas if I remember correctly commented once that the orc warlocks of the Old Horde worked together more efficiently then his own magi(who were too individualistic), but that was before the Alliance was formed so who knows.

Quote:
I'd say the combination of the Draenei and Highborne Night Elves' pedigree and long period of practice with the arcane combined with the balls-to-the-wall innovation of gnomes definitely gives the Alliance a one-up. The horde, by contrast, really, the only notable "mage race" the horde has are the blood elves, who, while impressive, don't hold a candle to their highborne ancestors.
Exactly how do you know that for sure? Dath'remar's highborne refined the arcane arts used by the highborne, plus didn't Rhonin consider them to be rather clumsy when he fought alongside/against them? I'm sure Rhonin wasn't above normal Kirin Tor training.

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the blood elves fully controlling the plateau while allowing the high elves to come there?
I never heard of any SSO npc's there when you go there and seeing the blood elf leaders there pretty much gave me that impression.

Last edited by Royalpimp; 11-18-2010 at 11:54 AM..
Old 11-18-2010, 11:50 AM

Glaive Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
One on one, a draenei is gonna be the strongest mage. Just saying.
Seems like that would be true, especially if we're talking about a 10,000 year old draenei. I'd say that highborne night elves and blood elves might give them a run for their money though.

I feel like I'm pulling this out of my ass, but isn't it written somewhere that humans really took to mage-craft? Like, something along the lines of "the high elves taught the humans some wizardry and were surprised at how well and how quickly the humans mastered it?" Please correct me if I'm wrong or just simply out of my gourd.

Last edited by Bedvyr; 11-18-2010 at 11:52 AM..
Old 11-18-2010, 12:11 PM

Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiol View Post
You can't put hard and fast numbers on the races. Approximations, yes, but any hard numbers are just folly to claim as authoritative.

Anyways you can't count just numbers. The Alliance may well outnumber the Horde in arcane users/power of said users, but the Horde has control over the Sunwell, which is the most powerful source of magic on the planet that is possible to use (aka the dragons and the Night Elves/whoever's in charge of Hyjal now aren't going to let anyone use the Well of Eternity for spells).
The Sunwell is NOT the most powerful source of the Arcane on the planet thank you. The second Well of Eternity is. And the Sunwell is holy magic now, proven in the new blood elf opening in Cata. It was empowered by the dead Naaru's spark of life, and when you think about it, the Draenei have a portable sunwell now compared to the naaru blessed sunwell. I also want to say that these population numbers are from the WoW RPG. Which is indeed cannon, though the power level page on the most powerful beings is not. (Saying Azshara is more powerful then Neptulon when his spells beat hers in the book. *giggle*)

Last edited by Norgannon the Dreamweaver; 11-18-2010 at 12:17 PM..
Old 11-18-2010, 12:16 PM

Eternal

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgannon the Dreamweaver View Post
The Sunwell is NOT the most powerful source of the Arcane on the planet thank you. The second Well of Eternity is. And the Sunwell is holy magic now, proven in the new blood elf opening in Cata. It was empowered by the dead Naaru's spark of life, and when you think about it, the Draenei have a portable sunwell now compared to the naaru blessed sunwell.
Actually it has both arcane and holy energies.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:18 PM

Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalpimp View Post
Actually it has both arcane and holy energies.
No it isn't. It is gone. Anveena destroyed herself ( the remaining sunwell magic ) to help defeat Kil'Jaeden. Then the Naaru spark reblessed it with holy magic.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgannon the Dreamweaver View Post
No it isn't. It is gone. Anveena destroyed herself ( the remaining sunwell magic ) to help defeat Kil'Jaeden. Then the Naaru spark reblessed it with holy magic.
Metzen said it himself that it's pretty much 50/50 Arcane and Holy.
http://www.blizzplanet.com/blog/comm...ideo_interview
Old 11-18-2010, 12:23 PM

Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedvyr View Post
Seems like that would be true, especially if we're talking about a 10,000 year old draenei. I'd say that highborne night elves and blood elves might give them a run for their money though.

I feel like I'm pulling this out of my ass, but isn't it written somewhere that humans really took to mage-craft? Like, something along the lines of "the high elves taught the humans some wizardry and were surprised at how well and how quickly the humans mastered it?" Please correct me if I'm wrong or just simply out of my gourd.
Yes, the High Elves taught the Humans, and they discovered that the Humans are very good at the art, they even noted that they can summon more raw magic then they could, though they lacked the control the elves had. So the average human mage is a powerhouse, while the average elf is a better controler. Both are different.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:25 PM

Archer

Quote:
Metzen said it himself that it's pretty much 50/50 Arcane and Holy.
http://www.blizzplanet.com/blog/comm...ideo_interview
Oh jebus, just gave me some more lore gasms. I love finding videos of Chris Metzen talking about lore. Regardless, even with that, I don't think they are more powerful. They can't just BRING the sunwell to the alliance lands can they? It is not portable you know.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:26 PM

Eternal

I will make it simple.

Horde
Orc: No strong Arcane connections here.
Troll: No.
Tauren: No.
Goblin: No.
Forsaken: Yes, they were once humans. Some of them might have once been Dalaranians (lol xD). +1
Blood Elf: Their whole kingdom is built around magic. +2
Horde gets +3 points.

Alliance
Human: Yes. The High elves teached them. Look at Dalaran. +1
Dwarf: Not really.
Gnome: Nope.
Night Elf: The Highborne are Night elves but they still do not have a kingdom built around magic like the Blood elves. +1
Draenei: The Eredar were said to be masters of the Arcane but tbh, we have not really seen many major Draenei mages and it was a looooong time ago when the Eredar lived on Argus.
Worgen: Isolated from the rest of Lordaeron. No.
Alliance gets +2 points.

Horde won just because Blood elves are the only race with a magical country. I guess you could give the Draenei a point but since we haven't seen any significant Draenei mage, I asume that their roles are much smaller than they were on Argus.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:28 PM

Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post
I will make it simple.

Horde
Orc: No strong Arcane connections here.
Troll: No.
Tauren: No.
Goblin: No.
Forsaken: Yes, they were once humans. Some of them might have once been Dalaranians (lol xD). +1
Blood Elf: Their whole kingdom is built around magic. +2
Horde gets +3 points.

Alliance
Human: Yes. The High elves teached them. Look at Dalaran. +1
Dwarf: Not really.
Gnome: Nope.
Night Elf: The Highborne are Night elves but they still do not have a kingdom built around magic like the Blood elves. +1
Draenei: The Eredar were said to be masters of the Arcane but tbh, we have not really seen many major Draenei mages and it was a looooong time ago when the Eredar lived on Argus.
Worgen: Isolated from the rest of Lordaeron. No.
Alliance gets +2 points.

Horde won just because Blood elves are the only race with a magical country. I guess you could give the Draenei a point but since we haven't seen any significant Draenei mage, I asume that their roles are much smaller than they were on Argus.
Wrong facts is wrong. I am going to list them for you, without saying why I already wrote them in the big post above. This is going to be 1 to 3 in rating.

Alliance:

Humans - +3
High Elves + 3
Draenei + 3
Worgen + 3
Night Elves (Highborne ) + 3
Gnomes + 2.5
Dwarves + 2

Horde:

Blood Elves + 3
Forsaken + 3
Orcs + 2
Trolls + 2
Goblin + 2
Tauren + 1

Last edited by Norgannon the Dreamweaver; 11-18-2010 at 12:39 PM..
Old 11-18-2010, 12:47 PM

Archer

Seems like this thread just died.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:49 PM

Guru of Gilneas

My interpretation of arcane ability of the player races. Rating of 0, .5, 1, 1.5, 2 .

Horde
Orc: .5
Troll: 1
Tauren: 0
Goblin: 1
Forsaken: 1.5 (2?)
Blood Elf: 2

Arcane Total: 6

Alliance
Human: 1.5 (2?) - sole remaining humane arcane school in the EK
Dwarf: .5 (new warlocks and mages)
Gnome: 1.5
Night Elf: 1
Draenei: 1.5 (2?)
Worgen: 1 - while previously human, no dedicated arcane school apart from sending mages to Dalaran for training.

Arcane Total: 7
Old 11-18-2010, 12:55 PM

Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
My interpretation of arcane ability of the player races. Rating of 0, .5, 1, 1.5, 2 .

Horde

Alliance
Worgen: 1 - while previously human, no dedicated arcane school apart from sending mages to Dalaran for training.

I will say this again. Lore wise, Humans, Draenei, High Elves/Belves and the Highborne are all equal with the arcane. Mabye gnomes are there. So Humans, Draenei, forsaken and Night Elf ( only put Highborne as 2 ) should be 2
Old 11-18-2010, 12:59 PM

The Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post

Horde

Alliance

You have to remember that the Night Elf and Dwarven mages are not from Teldrassil and Ironforge. The Night Elves are bloody Highborn, whose society is just as magic-centric as that of the blood elves, except each individual highborn has been at it for at least ten millenia. And as for the Dwarves, they're Dark Irons, the folks who managed to summon Ragnaros (even if it didn't work out too well, that's still a hell of an accomplishment).
Old 11-18-2010, 01:02 PM

Archer

Why is this thread dying!? D:
Old 11-18-2010, 01:02 PM

Eternal

Shadow Orb

Oh cool, I wanna play too!

Alliance:
Humans:2.5-3 - lack of control but a powerhouse is a powerhouse
Dwarf:0.5-1
Gnome:1.5-2 - smart bastards like these can be destructive(both to their allies and their enemies)
Draenei:3
Night elf highborne:2-2.5 - I've seen no proof that they've refined their 'techniques' like the high elves.
Worgen-1.5 perhaps? - As humans I don't know, but no matter what as worgen I doubt they can manage to concentrate nearly as much as they could as humans.

11-13

Horde:
Blood elves:3
Forsaken:2.5-3 - blast them humans
Orcs:0.5-1
Trolls:1 - savage or not they always struck me as more in tune with magic then other primitive races.
Tauren:0-0.5 - I think I've seen one tauren mage once in an instance.. I think.
Goblin:1.5-2 - I presume they're kind of like gnomes.

8.5-10.5

Imo alliance wins, ignoring how the mages/warlocks work together, numbers etc.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:06 PM

Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalpimp View Post
Oh cool, I wanna play too!

Alliance:
Humans:2.5-3 - lack of control but a powerhouse is a powerhouse
Dwarf:0.5-1
Gnome:1.5-2 - smart bastards like these can be destructive(both to their allies and their enemies)
Draenei:3
Night elf highborne:2-2.5 - I've seen no proof that they've refined their 'techniques' like the high elves.
Worgen-1.5 perhaps? - As humans I don't know, but no matter what as worgen I doubt they can manage to concentrate nearly as much as they could as humans.

11-13

Horde:
Blood elves:3
Forsaken:2.5-3 - blast them humans
Orcs:0.5-1
Trolls:1 - savage or not they always struck me as more in tune with magic then other primitive races.
Tauren:0-0.5 - I think I've seen one tauren mage once in an instance.. I think.
Goblin:1.5-2 - I presume they're kind of like gnomes.

8.5-10.5

Imo alliance wins, ignoring how the mages/warlocks work together, numbers etc.
You forgot High Elves for the Alliance. They may not be playable, but they are a main race in the Alliance.