Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

View Poll Results: Which of these allied race combos would you prefer?
Vrykul (A)/MU Clans (H) 11 28.21%
Kul Tirans (A)/MU Clans (H) 16 41.03%
Kul Tirans (A)/AU Clans (H) 9 23.08%
Vrykul (A)/AU Clans (H) 3 7.69%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #251  
Old 05-09-2016, 05:00 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,046
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
How do people feel about Ethereals? While there's precedent for neutral playable races, I've always felt the Ethereals made a decent fit for the Alliance's style. If not aesthetically, then at least thematically, as in the Ethereals' Protectorate. Plus given the new focus on the Void as the major enemy, they've already got beef against an eventual threat.
I like them just because I really like mummies and the potential unique aesthetic they could bring.

Still iffy over certain aspects about them, like not having faces which makes it harder to think of how customization would go for them and emotes. Then again I wouldn't mind if their face bandages could move to determine their emotion, it'd be a little cartoony but I think it'd have a certain charm to it.

Like that mummy in Hotel Transylvania.
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 05-09-2016, 05:20 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,431

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Oh well, the world would be boring if everyone had the same opinions.

I just like being able to choose my faction independently from my character's race.
That'd be preferable for me too IF the game had been designed with that in mind from the ground up.

But it's definitely not the case for WoW.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old 05-09-2016, 05:58 PM
Ma Caque Attaque Ma Caque Attaque is offline

Elune
Ma Caque Attaque's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In your mind
Posts: 12,687

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
I've just never gotten a satisfying answer to the question of why anyone thinks the Amani should go Alliance.
If the Alliance approached the Amani and said that they would give them help to retake their land from the belves, then I would think that they would join.

But then you have another race who's primary story is driven by hating on another faction and will never get anything more then what they already own.

But if you had to put a troll race in the Alliance, then the Dark Trolls are you biggest choice.

Although I prefer the WC3 version and not the nelf version we got with Chronicle.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old 05-09-2016, 06:47 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,431

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post
If the Alliance approached the Amani and said that they would give them help to retake their land from the belves, then I would think that they would join.

But then you have another race who's primary story is driven by hating on another faction and will never get anything more then what they already own.

But if you had to put a troll race in the Alliance, then the Dark Trolls are you biggest choice.

Although I prefer the WC3 version and not the nelf version we got with Chronicle.
Alliance would never do that because High Elves and Trollbanes
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old 05-09-2016, 07:04 PM
MisterCrow MisterCrow is offline

Eternal
MisterCrow's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,421

Default

Ethereals: I could see a starting area on K'aresh that shows the ethereals giving up their physical forms in order to escape, and a pair of Nexus-Princes leading a tribe of ethereals to Azeroth. At the end of the starting experience, the two princes hatch a plot to profit from the faction war and send the PC to whichever faction they choose to ingratiate themselves appropriately. "And to really sell your loyalty, you can't ever run the risk of switching teams. Keep up the act even if you run into your counterparts who we send to join the other guys. It's not like we can really die here anyway." The princes then become faction leaders who basically make airs of totally wanting to kill each other in order to feign loyalty to Anduin and Saurfang, who completely buy it.

Arakkoa: I'm torn on separating the ascended and corrupted arakkoa along faction lines. I think I'm more interested in starting players as ascended, allowing players to make a choice during the starting experience that either corrupts them or doesn't, and then give players the ability to reverse that choice at a later level. The bottom line is that arakkoa make a lot of sense as a neutral race, but that goes for both corrupted and ascended, and in a post-WoD world, both sides of the race have got a reason to work together.

Ogres: I think if we really had to make ogres a neutral race, it wouldn't be hard to come up with a tribe of them interested in selling their brawn to the Alliance. You could even use them to intensify the faction war, because you've got two competing Gorian proconsuls trying to cajole the Horde/Alliance to help them become the new imperator, and the PC ogre's job ultimately becomes killing these proconsuls. (I could spin this into a whole narrative about the Gorian empire as an expansion, I think).

More to come later.
__________________
Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix


Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Reply With Quote
  #256  
Old 05-09-2016, 07:14 PM
Kellick Kellick is offline

Site Staff - Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 12,052
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post
If the Alliance approached the Amani and said that they would give them help to retake their land from the belves, then I would think that they would join.
What about the lands that were stolen by the Humans? And the lands that were stolen by the Dwarves? And the lands that were stolen by the Night Elves?

There's really no way to make justify it. Especially considering, again, some of the Amani are already on the Horde.
Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old 05-09-2016, 08:48 PM
MisterCrow MisterCrow is offline

Eternal
MisterCrow's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,421

Default

I'm going to rattle on down Mutterscrawl's list:

Jinyu: No reason not to have them on the Alliance, full stop. Barring getting unique animations and a reason to leave Pandaria for the wider world (they don't seem to have the same ingrained wanderlust as the pandaren do and they don't have a stake in the AvH conflict outside the Jade Forest) they'd bring a more philosophical and peace-minded race to the table.

Botani: This feels more like a neutral option than Alliance-specific, but I also question if they've got enough of a narrative to really get them off Old Draenor to begin with.

Dragonkin: Another neutral option in a post-Aspects world. There are plenty of reasons for them to align with either side when it comes to seeking leadership; it's just a matter of determining why the dragonkin would be interested in fighting with the mortal races instead of letting the Aspects continue calling the shots.

Furbolg: A shoe-in for the Alliance, but I don't see what they bring to the table that worgen, pandaren, and night elves don't already bring.

Mogu: This feels like a more reasonable neutral option, and it strikes me as pretty similar to ogres, especially if you run with the patrician Gorian ogres as a model rather than your old school brute squad. The mogu are similarly patrician (with a more Ancient China feel vs. Ancient Rome) and you could have a similar sense of dueling warlords picking sides in order to one-up their rivals, but all told I don't feel as connected to the mogu as I do with the ogres.

Unbroken (Faceless that rebel against OGs): u wot m8?

Saurok: Our last impressions of the saurok involved them covering themselves in shit and worshipping the corpse of a devilsaur. I don't feel like they bring something to the table that elevates them past being a mook race.

Sporeling: These feel like gnome botani to a grand extent. Even if you tried to draw a line with the podling progenitors these guys are mooks. It's like asking for troggs or...

Gnolls: fucking seriously mutterscrawl?

Nerubian/Qiraji/Mantid: Bundling all of these together because when it comes down to it, the Aqir make more sense as their own faction than they do aligning with the Alliance or Horde in any way. And that's without getting into the mechanism of them not being bipedal humanoids, which I largely feel is a prerequisite for any playable race. They've got enough history and culture to them that they'd be squandered as part of another faction, so honestly better for them to run their own thing. Would love to see the scorpar brought back into play somehow.
__________________
Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix


Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old 05-09-2016, 10:56 PM
Mending Mending is offline

Sentinel Queen
Mending's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 951

Default

The way they handled the playable pandaren outside of the Wandering Isle was a little disappointing. I was expecting Pandaria to have a lot of lore and conflict for the Huojin and Tushui. But I think neutral races are fine. It gives Blizzard a way to cut corners in multiple ways (which they love) and you don't have to go to another faction if you love the race.

I'd love to see playable furbolg, ethereal, arakkoa, Gorian Empire ogres, and maaaaaaaaaaaaybe naga.

The furbolg offers the Alliance a shamanistic and tribal warrior culture in the way that the draenei and worgen didn't. Furbolg shamans could be the notorious Alliance shaman race akin to how the blood elves are the Horde's notorious mage race.

If ethereals were made playable, I'd prefer them on the Alliance as a foil to goblins with their own cartel, but I don't mind them being neutral. They could take some inspiration in their themes from the Islamic Golden Age. I also don't think there's an issue with customization at all. Blizzard could design their faces so that their energy form takes on facial features and their wraps cover their faces in various ways or give them ~enchanted masks~ that have the functions of a normal face.

Outcast arakkoa I'd want because the racial roster lacks a primarily shadow magic using culture. We have the Forsaken, but we don't see them moving between dimensions or using illusions. At least as far as I know.

Gorian Empire ogres would work as a neutral race and would be great if they ever decide to take us back to AU!Draenor to the ogre continent or ~discover~ another chunk of Draenor floating through space.

I'd also like more races influenced by real world cultures that they haven't touched on. Multiple races inspired by different Oceania cultures and African cultures I'd especially like to see.
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old 05-09-2016, 11:12 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,046
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
Jinyu: No reason not to have them on the Alliance, full stop. Barring getting unique animations and a reason to leave Pandaria for the wider world (they don't seem to have the same ingrained wanderlust as the pandaren do and they don't have a stake in the AvH conflict outside the Jade Forest) they'd bring a more philosophical and peace-minded race to the table.

Furbolg: A shoe-in for the Alliance, but I don't see what they bring to the table that worgen, pandaren, and night elves don't already bring.
Well it's true that Furbolgs don't have anything to bring given that Worgen have already brought it, but what do Jinyu bring that Night Elves or Draenei don't already bring? You gave them a free pass, but unless I missed something Draenei have already mastered being philosophical and peace-loving to a capital T.

Honestly, I think the factions are fresh out of any unique roles or niches that they need filling. So at this point, the most Blizzard can do is just add races that don't fulfill any unique roles but still make a lot of sense being playable.
Reply With Quote
  #260  
Old 05-09-2016, 11:13 PM
Grenham Grenham is offline

Huntress
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 35

Default

I'd like to see Constellans added along with the Ethereals, with the former being the space observers and the latter being the rebellious space cowboy trope...thing.

We don't know much about the Constellans except for the fact that they observe planets and we don't know if all of them are Algalon level.

It's too futuristic though. But look, the Legion have SPACESHIPS! so do the Draenei and the Naaru.
Reply With Quote
  #261  
Old 05-09-2016, 11:45 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,431

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
I'm going to rattle on down Mutterscrawl's list:

Jinyu: No reason not to have them on the Alliance, full stop. Barring getting unique animations and a reason to leave Pandaria for the wider world (they don't seem to have the same ingrained wanderlust as the pandaren do and they don't have a stake in the AvH conflict outside the Jade Forest) they'd bring a more philosophical and peace-minded race to the table.

Botani: This feels more like a neutral option than Alliance-specific, but I also question if they've got enough of a narrative to really get them off Old Draenor to begin with.

Dragonkin: Another neutral option in a post-Aspects world. There are plenty of reasons for them to align with either side when it comes to seeking leadership; it's just a matter of determining why the dragonkin would be interested in fighting with the mortal races instead of letting the Aspects continue calling the shots.

Furbolg: A shoe-in for the Alliance, but I don't see what they bring to the table that worgen, pandaren, and night elves don't already bring.

Mogu: This feels like a more reasonable neutral option, and it strikes me as pretty similar to ogres, especially if you run with the patrician Gorian ogres as a model rather than your old school brute squad. The mogu are similarly patrician (with a more Ancient China feel vs. Ancient Rome) and you could have a similar sense of dueling warlords picking sides in order to one-up their rivals, but all told I don't feel as connected to the mogu as I do with the ogres.

Unbroken (Faceless that rebel against OGs): u wot m8?

Saurok: Our last impressions of the saurok involved them covering themselves in shit and worshipping the corpse of a devilsaur. I don't feel like they bring something to the table that elevates them past being a mook race.

Sporeling: These feel like gnome botani to a grand extent. Even if you tried to draw a line with the podling progenitors these guys are mooks. It's like asking for troggs or...

Gnolls: fucking seriously mutterscrawl?

Nerubian/Qiraji/Mantid: Bundling all of these together because when it comes down to it, the Aqir make more sense as their own faction than they do aligning with the Alliance or Horde in any way. And that's without getting into the mechanism of them not being bipedal humanoids, which I largely feel is a prerequisite for any playable race. They've got enough history and culture to them that they'd be squandered as part of another faction, so honestly better for them to run their own thing. Would love to see the scorpar brought back into play somehow.
Jinyu: Alliance yeah.

Botani: Cause orcs are like Breakers and they'd fit better with nelfs and worgen.

Dragonkin: The horde fucked up blue dragons for the focusing iris for the manabomb, red dragns in second war, and fucked up the nelfs who are green dragon buddies and green dragons have a history with jungle trolls.

Furbolg: That's admittedly a problem with them, but we don't know much about their history, so if a new Expac tied in with them or the Jalgar there's fertile ground.

Mogu: I just don't see Mogu realistically getting along with the Alliance, people can play up the "order" thematic all they want, but the Mogu are still brutal in ways that would prevent getting along with humans and nelfs for the most part.

Unbroken: An old fan theory regarding some mobs from TFT

Saurok: Agreed, would require a different tribe than the skum folks.

Sporeling: a guilty pleasure of mine

Gnoll: Well they fucked up stormwind in the past and they're all over the EK, if the Horde can unite them that'd be a big plus, realistically though they'd have to mutate or we'd have to get a group in their own area, probably closer to jackalmen

Nerubian: Horde side of the quests in Dragonblight are canon for aiding the nerubians, and live nerubians working with forsaken makes nice foil to undead nerubians with scourge

Qiraji: Who the fuck knows what they're up to, but no way they get along with nelfs.

Mantid: These could conceivably go Alliance due to their focus on order if they reject the Old Gods.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 05-10-2016, 12:18 AM
AckAck AckAck is offline

Keeper of the Grove
AckAck's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 612

Default

Furbolgs: Alliance, start off on Azuremist isle, with a lvl 1-5 starting zone that then ships you to Azure watch. Draenei Recruit the Stillpine hold Furbolg so we have a race other than night elves recruit an Alliance race.

Ogre: Horde, start off on a floating island off of Blades edge, recruited by Rexxar. lvl 1-5 zone, ogres affected by the appexis crystals there, but not a part of the Ogri'la.

Ethereals: Neutral. Start off on K'resh as the Ethereals go to its remains to gather survivors and try and reclaim as much wreckage as they can. Player is an Ethereal saved and wrapped right at lvl 1, 1-5 takes place on K'resh, then the player is sent to Netherstorm where they meet the Horde and the Alliance. Choose at lvl 10, then is sent to Orgrimmar or Stormwind.
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 05-10-2016, 12:21 AM
Grenham Grenham is offline

Huntress
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 35

Default

So...my take on how the races suggested might probably be added in the game. Ignored some because yeah.

Jinyu: Probably in an expansion where we learn about the origin of the Murlocs, then the Horde gets Furbolgs or Jalgar to relieve the conflict between the Gorlocs and Wolvar.

Botani: We need to return to AU Draenor which we all know won't be good, or maybe a missing chunk of MU Draenor where the Primals and the Breakers fight.

Dragonkin: In an expansion with Dragons maybe? We all know dragons are so much forgiving. Alexstrasza managed to forgive Garrosh yo!

Furbolg: We might probably see them in an Azjol'nerub expansion. Maybe some of the Furbolgs in Grizzly Hills went below and tried to purify Vordrassil but got stuck and they join us when we find them.

Mogu: Since Mogu are like Earthen and Vry'kul, we might probably see more of them but ones who got the curse and are less hostile than Pandaria Mogu.

Saurok: Similar to Grummles, Saurok might possibly be a different race that Lei Shen captured and turned into savage lizardmen. There's also a Lizardmen race mentioned somewhere and they're said to fight the Legion thousands of years ago.

Gnoll: The Alliance and the Horde hate them. Nah.

Qiraji and Mantid: Since they didn't die after we killed Y'shaarj and C'thun, there might be a way to purify them somehow.

Me gahd my English sucks.
Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old 05-10-2016, 05:38 AM
Menel'dirion Menel'dirion is offline

Eternal
Menel'dirion's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)
Posts: 2,551

Default

Just a thought, but people talk about Qiraji, Mantid, and Neubians....... But I wonder if perhaps we could have a 4th Aqir Race associated with N'Zoth. I'm kinda thinking something similar to a butterfly. A fey sort of bug.
Background idea: these Aqir fled from the trolls into the mountains where N'zoth's prison was placed. There they spun themselves into evolutionary cocoons and let their spirits serve the Old God in the dream. However, from within the dream, they could also be influenced by Druids, wild gods, green drakes, what have you, so some of them could be cleansed and start working with us.


In regards to Nazja's thought on heroic races, Dragons or dragon kin could be an option, and the existence of a nathrezim paladin puts them in a good spot. I have an idea or two for a new titanforged race, but I wouldn't mind seeing CoF anubisaths.
Reply With Quote
  #265  
Old 05-10-2016, 06:17 AM
Grenham Grenham is offline

Huntress
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 35

Default

Faerie Aqir sounds quite good, but I don't think people will react positively to them.
Reply With Quote
  #266  
Old 05-10-2016, 06:46 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,900

Orb of Lightning Thunderchuck!

We need squirrel people, so Anansi can finally feel represented.

Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old 05-10-2016, 07:19 AM
Sonneillon Sonneillon is offline

Lord of the
Assassin's League
Sonneillon's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canadaland
Posts: 9,990
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Default

I still want Naga and Vrykul and consider both to still be possible.
__________________
“Listen to the Chair Leg of Truth! It does not lie!”
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old 05-10-2016, 07:22 AM
MisterCrow MisterCrow is offline

Eternal
MisterCrow's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,421

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
Well it's true that Furbolgs don't have anything to bring given that Worgen have already brought it, but what do Jinyu bring that Night Elves or Draenei don't already bring? You gave them a free pass, but unless I missed something Draenei have already mastered being philosophical and peace-loving to a capital T.

Honestly, I think the factions are fresh out of any unique roles or niches that they need filling. So at this point, the most Blizzard can do is just add races that don't fulfill any unique roles but still make a lot of sense being playable.
The draenei are a long-lived race of itinerant clerics led by an immortal prophet who sees different fragments of possible futures. Their philosophy is born out of the hope that righteousness will overcome the corrupting darkness of the Legion that pursues them, while the prophet's visions allow them to elude capture.

The night elves are a long-lived race of druids and divine hunters led by an archdruid and a priestess of Elune, respectively. Their connection to the natural world is born out of their role as allies and protectors of nature, and they stand against whatever attempts to threaten that natural existence.

The jinyu are a relatively mortal race of mariners and riverfolk led by a waterspeaker who can see the future. Their philosophy is born out of the knowledge that just as water flows downhill, so does the destiny of the world, and by acknowledging the inevitability of destiny, one can contemplate and prepare for it as best as possible.

The philosophy of the jinyu is different because it's less reactive and more contemplative. They align more with the Alliance because the order the Alliance represents is naturally more conservative and less disruptive than the Horde. The idea that waterspeakers would want to explore and purify the rivers of the world outside Pandaria and help guide their allies by listening to the waters is much more temporal than the otherwise-immortal draenei and night elves.

And yeah, Grimtale is right, I'm not giving the furbolg a fair shake. The worgen represent the duality of bestial rage and refined civilization, and the furbolg to a greater extent demonstrate the brutality of the natural world without the accouterments of civilization. If the furbolg were something like the tauren for the Alliance, in terms of a very nature-oriented culture (one that's always been nature-oriented, and not nature-oriented out of guilt like the night elves) then that could be something different from what the worgen bring to the table.

Crow says: also, I think everyone expects that furbolgs would be druids, and how weird is it to have bear-dudes turn into actual bears, or bearcats, or bearstags?
Grimtale says: you've literally got cow-dudes turning into bears with horns, lions with horns, and stags. Also werewolf-cats. And you're tripping over bear-dudes turning into bears?
Crow says: ... i concede the point.
__________________
Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix


Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old 05-10-2016, 07:39 AM
Ma Caque Attaque Ma Caque Attaque is offline

Elune
Ma Caque Attaque's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In your mind
Posts: 12,687

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Alliance would never do that because High Elves and Trollbanes
Considering what is happening in Legion, the Alliance really doesn't care about what happens with the Trollbanes and never has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
What about the lands that were stolen by the Humans? And the lands that were stolen by the Dwarves? And the lands that were stolen by the Night Elves?

There's really no way to make justify it. Especially considering, again, some of the Amani are already on the Horde.
Sheesh, you asked a question a I gave an answer. I personally don't want any troll race in the Alliance. I'm not justifying anything. Just giving a scenario in which the Alliance would try to get the Amani on their side.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #270  
Old 05-10-2016, 01:21 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,046
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
The draenei are a long-lived race of itinerant clerics led by an immortal prophet who sees different fragments of possible futures. Their philosophy is born out of the hope that righteousness will overcome the corrupting darkness of the Legion that pursues them, while the prophet's visions allow them to elude capture.

The night elves are a long-lived race of druids and divine hunters led by an archdruid and a priestess of Elune, respectively. Their connection to the natural world is born out of their role as allies and protectors of nature, and they stand against whatever attempts to threaten that natural existence.

The jinyu are a relatively mortal race of mariners and riverfolk led by a waterspeaker who can see the future. Their philosophy is born out of the knowledge that just as water flows downhill, so does the destiny of the world, and by acknowledging the inevitability of destiny, one can contemplate and prepare for it as best as possible.

The philosophy of the jinyu is different because it's less reactive and more contemplative. They align more with the Alliance because the order the Alliance represents is naturally more conservative and less disruptive than the Horde. The idea that waterspeakers would want to explore and purify the rivers of the world outside Pandaria and help guide their allies by listening to the waters is much more temporal than the otherwise-immortal draenei and night elves.

And yeah, Grimtale is right, I'm not giving the furbolg a fair shake. The worgen represent the duality of bestial rage and refined civilization, and the furbolg to a greater extent demonstrate the brutality of the natural world without the accouterments of civilization. If the furbolg were something like the tauren for the Alliance, in terms of a very nature-oriented culture (one that's always been nature-oriented, and not nature-oriented out of guilt like the night elves) then that could be something different from what the worgen bring to the table.

Crow says: also, I think everyone expects that furbolgs would be druids, and how weird is it to have bear-dudes turn into actual bears, or bearcats, or bearstags?
Grimtale says: you've literally got cow-dudes turning into bears with horns, lions with horns, and stags. Also werewolf-cats. And you're tripping over bear-dudes turning into bears?
Crow says: ... i concede the point.
I think it's also that Worgen have a darker and creepier style than Furbolgs. I can never imagine Furbolg having a dark factor to them unless their proclivity to living in underground caves was emphasized.

If Furbolg were playable and got Druids, I actually think the best idea is to have their bear form be a Dire Furbolg form instead, just take straight from the RPG Ursa Totemic concept.
Reply With Quote
  #271  
Old 05-10-2016, 01:38 PM
MisterCrow MisterCrow is offline

Eternal
MisterCrow's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,421

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
I think it's also that Worgen have a darker and creepier style than Furbolgs. I can never imagine Furbolg having a dark factor to them unless their proclivity to living in underground caves was emphasized.

If Furbolg were playable and got Druids, I actually think the best idea is to have their bear form be a Dire Furbolg form instead, just take straight from the RPG Ursa Totemic concept.
I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but they need to double down on the dark/creepy aspects of the worgen.
__________________
Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix


Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Reply With Quote
  #272  
Old 05-10-2016, 09:05 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,046
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but they need to double down on the dark/creepy aspects of the worgen.
Ugh, I know! Doesn't seem at play when the spotlight is finally on them, but maybe in a later patch.

On another note, I can't help but think of The Descent but with humanoid bears with that last post I made.

Last edited by Lord Grimtale; 05-10-2016 at 09:20 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #273  
Old 05-10-2016, 10:11 PM
Mending Mending is offline

Sentinel Queen
Mending's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 951

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
If the furbolg were something like the tauren for the Alliance, in terms of a very nature-oriented culture (one that's always been nature-oriented, and not nature-oriented out of guilt like the night elves) then that could be something different from what the worgen bring to the table.
This is exactly what I had in mind for the furbolg as an Alliance race. More venerated tribal warrior and shamanism and less afflicted humans with severe anger issues. If you've ever seen anything about the norn in Guild Wars 2, that's what I had in mind for them in terms of themes. Hulking warriors and mystics living in intricately built lodges that are sometimes part cave hunting down demons and forest defilers with their bodies and weapons covered in tribal runes.

That's my own fan concept and I doubt Blizzard would see them as anything beyond a mook/sidekick race especially with the pandaren playable. ("Having two elf races is one thing, but two bears? Nah, man." -a dev probably) But boy do I hope that they see something in them one day.

@Grim even if they have their starting zone as an underground cave system, I don't think there's any way they'd start adopting shadowy themes. As I recall, Timbermaw Hold is well lit by torches.

Off topic, but speaking of bear people turning into bears, it bothers me that the pandaren don't have druids. A race that strives for balance both within and without themselves surely would have them as a class. There are much sillier things in WoW than bears turning into bears. *looks at Illidan talking to an Elder Naaru and gnomes using ray guns to turn orcs into mechanical chickens*

Last edited by Mending; 05-10-2016 at 10:15 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #274  
Old 05-12-2016, 12:38 AM
Vaximillian Vaximillian is offline

Eternal
Vaximillian's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Loredaeron
Posts: 2,690
BattleTag: Vaximillian#2212

Default

Alliance high elves. Or all races for both factions. Or dismantle the factions.
Reply With Quote
  #275  
Old 05-12-2016, 12:56 AM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mending View Post
This is exactly what I had in mind for the furbolg as an Alliance race. More venerated tribal warrior and shamanism and less afflicted humans with severe anger issues. If you've ever seen anything about the norn in Guild Wars 2, that's what I had in mind for them in terms of themes. Hulking warriors and mystics living in intricately built lodges that are sometimes part cave hunting down demons and forest defilers with their bodies and weapons covered in tribal runes.

That's my own fan concept and I doubt Blizzard would see them as anything beyond a mook/sidekick race especially with the pandaren playable. ("Having two elf races is one thing, but two bears? Nah, man." -a dev probably) But boy do I hope that they see something in them one day.

@Grim even if they have their starting zone as an underground cave system, I don't think there's any way they'd start adopting shadowy themes. As I recall, Timbermaw Hold is well lit by torches.

Off topic, but speaking of bear people turning into bears, it bothers me that the pandaren don't have druids. A race that strives for balance both within and without themselves surely would have them as a class. There are much sillier things in WoW than bears turning into bears. *looks at Illidan talking to an Elder Naaru and gnomes using ray guns to turn orcs into mechanical chickens*
I was thinking about that earlier today, too. Plus, the trolls got their "in" to druidism because of their Loa, and we now know the August Celestials who take a pretty active part of Pandaren life are also Loa/Ancients/Wild Gods... it's actually a bit odd that the Pandaren didn't have druids or something like them.

EDIT: On the other hand, to be a druid you basically have to be part of the Cenarion Circle (as opposed to just "using druid-like magic" like the harvest witches or early Yaungol/Tauren) and it'd be a bit weird for the pandaren to have been pen pals with the druids through the emerald dream.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brace yourselves, drunk thread, eredar attaque, lordaeron is coming, races, warcraft, world of warcraft

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.