Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > General WarCraft Discussion

Old 07-19-2007, 02:32 PM

Eternal

Default WoW Comic Book?

It seems Blizzard is thinking about starting a WoW comic book series. Lets just hope they don't screw this up very badly if they really decide to go forward with it.

Here's the link to the news post on Blizzplanet:
http://blizzplanet.com/news/1516/
Old 07-19-2007, 03:12 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

You mean like Western Comics?

....?

*bursts into laughter*

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:37 PM

Loremaster

Western Comics suck, there will be more retcons and reboots than politics!

Manga>Western Comics
Old 07-19-2007, 03:55 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

The only good western comics are Donald Duck ones.

And in the case of Donald Duck, only Carl Barks, Don Rosa and very few others make comics that people older than 10 can enjoy.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:19 PM

Eternal

Umm.... Vertigo? SLG? Dark Horse?
Old 07-19-2007, 04:30 PM

Arch-Druid

didn't even read the article? It is Wildstorm (DC Comics). formerly known as Image Comics.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:30 PM

Eternal

If you're talking to me, I wasn't asking who would be doing the comic, I was addressing the statement that the only good Western comic is Donald Duck. Meanwhile, Vertigo, Slave Labour, and Dark Horse pretty much always have a few quality titles on the go, and have for a while.

In regards to the OP, I'm glad to see them going this route, but I can't say I'm optimistic. The trend seems to be that the more Warcraft branches out, the more flimsy it becomes. I would love to see this done well, but seriously, they've inspired little confidence, if the manga was any indication. If they get an in-house writer to write the Warcraft comic, it'll likely suck. Meanwhile, Wildstorm doesn't exactly have the best track record, in terms of licensed properties. I never read the Star Trek comics but heard they weren't very good, and their Resident Evil comics were retconned out of existence.

Last edited by Nephalim; 07-19-2007 at 05:40 PM..
Old 07-19-2007, 05:39 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

...why can't Micky and Chris just write it?

*Sigh*

Anyway.

Western Comics>Western Quasi-Manga.

Hell...

GOOD western comics>Good manga.

At least when it comes to WarCraft. The episodic format of western comics serves it a lot more than the never ending plot-lines of manga. The archetypes serve it better too.

Last edited by Aldrius; 07-19-2007 at 05:44 PM..
Old 07-19-2007, 05:49 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
...why can't Micky and Chris just write it?

*Sigh*

Anyway.

Western Comics>Western Quasi-Manga.

Hell...

GOOD western comics>Good manga.

At least when it comes to WarCraft. The episodic format of western comics serves it a lot more than the never ending plot-lines of manga. The archetypes serve it better too.
Dude, you are messed up in the head. In manga usually it's the SAME writter and artist doing the stuff, the guy who CREATED the thing. In western comics they just pic someone, who either creates an entirely new thing or retcons this and that. It's what has made me disgusted with them entirely. You can't make heads or tales of them. Besides, I like manga style better.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:56 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

What does that have to do with anything I said? How am I 'messed up in the head' when I said that comics are better than manga that's made in the states...? Or that GOOD comics are better than manga. I didn't even say what I consider to be 'good comics'...

In the 1960's, they had one artist and one writer too.

Unfortunately, after 40 years or even 70 years. The writers and artists... are kinda... dead in some cases. Different people work on the projects, and it's hard to keep things completely consistent.

But a brand new comic is not gonna have those problems... especially if they got Metzen and Nielson writing it. Hell, a brand new comic is not gonna be any different than the sunwell trilogy other than the style. A style which suits WarCraft about 300% more than the manga-style did...
Old 07-19-2007, 05:59 PM

Loremaster

If Metzen writes it, it has a chance of being good. Though, his recent work has not thrilled me.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:03 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

We don't even know what he writes... there were like 6 different people contributing to the scripts for Reign of Chaos (including Rob Pardo and Samwise Didier). Who knows how many for WoW...

Micky Nielson is another one of the oldies and one of Blizzard's premier writers. It seems to me like he pretty much invented the character of Kerrigan...
Old 07-19-2007, 06:22 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Judging from the people I talked to who met Samwise at the last Blizzcon, him writing anything would be awesome. And that last dwarf comic on sons of the storm aint bad, either.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:31 PM

Treant

Quote:
Micky Nielson is another one of the oldies and one of Blizzard's premier writers. It seems to me like he pretty much invented the character of Kerrigan...
Then he should never be allowed to write again.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:47 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Uh... why? She's probably Blizzard's greatest villain...
Old 07-19-2007, 06:50 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Uh... why? She's probably Blizzard's greatest villain...
I dispute that.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:52 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Oh? Then who would you consider better?
Old 07-19-2007, 06:54 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Oh? Then who would you consider better?
Kerrigan isn't a villan, she is a victim. She's not evil, just misunderstood. The people who hate her in Starcraft need to get over whatever they think she did to them, and realize that deep down inside her is a little girl wishing for a hug....is that too much to ask?
Old 07-19-2007, 06:57 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

She killed Fenix, Duke, Aldaris, forced Zeratul into killing Raszagal, manipulated Dugalle into killing Stukov and marooned Mengsk all for revenge and conquest...
Old 07-19-2007, 07:01 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
She killed Fenix, Duke, Aldaris, forced Zeratul into killing Raszagal, manipulated Dugalle into killing Stukov and marooned Mengsk all for revenge and conquest...
Good and evil are only opinions after all, I see nothing wrong there. Most of those people were just as bad.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:08 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

She thinks she's right to kill those people, though she felt guilty for killing Fenix. But from the standpoint of morality, Kerrigan is pretty much a bitch. She's endearing, and she's complex, but she is still a villain.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:11 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
She thinks she's right to kill those people, though she felt guilty for killing Fenix. But from the standpoint of morality, Kerrigan is pretty much a bitch. She's endearing, and she's complex, but she is still a villain.
Aldrius, stop forcing your wraped western view points on me!In my point of view Fenix was a villan!
Old 07-19-2007, 07:24 PM

Eternal

See, the major difference here between what we do to you when you make moral judgments and what's you're making a poor effort to do to Aldrius is that when we argue with you, there's some logic behind it, or at the very least, a stance. Allow me to demonstrate:
Quote:
Aldrius, stop forcing your wraped western view points on me!In my point of view Fenix was a villan!
Very good. Now, defend that.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:24 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Kerrigan just needs a good fucking. Problem is, she probably has teeth in her twat or something.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:35 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Interesting perspective. Now how about some facts to back it up.

Most of that 'warped western perspective' talk came from when we were talking about whether or not orcs were stupid. Never when we were talking about individual character motivation...

Last edited by Aldrius; 07-19-2007 at 07:46 PM..