Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

View Poll Results: Pick a game that's similar to the kind of single-player RPG you envision.
Mass Effect (real-time, over-the-shoulder, high degree of companion significance) 4 25.00%
Dragon Age (real-time, highly variable origin stories, personal customization, silent protagonist) 2 12.50%
Final Fantasy (turn-based, job system, linear, world-threatening narrative) 2 12.50%
SSI Gold Box D&D (turn-based, top-down grid, silent protagonists) 0 0%
Baldur's Gate (turn-based, party management) 2 12.50%
Something else (and be specific) 6 37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2016, 09:13 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
Could you be more specific?

Having avoided Dark Souls (because I don't really need a game to punch me in the dick) I don't really know what it brings to the table (aside from dick-punching).
I like the anxiety that comes with trying to avoid dick punch. Would really suit d1 actually.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:14 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Maybe a CRPG with possible co-op mode: e.g., Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, Planescape Torment, Torment: Tides of Numenera, etc.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:02 AM

Elune

Take the atmosphere and worldbuilding of Dark Souls and fuse it with pretty much everything about the The Witcher 3 and maybe dab a little bit of TES 3/4/5 on there. Bam. Perfect game.

No idea where it should be set, though. Orcs and humans would definitely need to be playable, though.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:33 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Anyone ever play Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?

It was a pretty big, third person open world action RPG. Aesthetically and gameplay wise, it's very similar to WoW; big, bright, cartoony, stylized graphics and shitloads of fetch quests in visually distinct, big zones. It was made to be a prequel to a MMO that ended up getting canceled (Look up the Curt Schilling video game controversy if you've got the time) so that's kind of to be expected.

Combat was the best thing about the game, being somewhat like God of War or even a spectacle fighter like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta. One of the things it did different from WoW was it was skill based and class based with a somewhat backwards system; you picked your skills across three broad fighter, rogue and mage talent trees, and then the game would assign you a class based on your skill choices that gave specific bonuses (I remember, for instance, that one of the more powerful rogue/mage trees replaced your combat roll with a teleport that would poison enemies you passed through).

While there were a few binary choices in quests, it was a mostly linear narrative unlike, say, Dragon Age, which is honestly what Legion is becoming. So yeah, a warcraft RPG would basically just be Kingdoms of Amalur with more distinct classes and familiar characters.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:36 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Anyone ever play Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?

It was a pretty big, third person open world action RPG. Aesthetically and gameplay wise, it's very similar to WoW; big, bright, cartoony, stylized graphics and shitloads of fetch quests in visually distinct, big zones. It was made to be a prequel to a MMO that ended up getting canceled (Look up the Curt Schilling video game controversy if you've got the time) so that's kind of to be expected.

Combat was the best thing about the game, being somewhat like God of War or even a spectacle fighter like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta. One of the things it did different from WoW was it was skill based and class based with a somewhat backwards system; you picked your skills across three broad fighter, rogue and mage talent trees, and then the game would assign you a class based on your skill choices that gave specific bonuses (I remember, for instance, that one of the more powerful rogue/mage trees replaced your combat roll with a teleport that would poison enemies you passed through).

While there were a few binary choices in quests, it was a mostly linear narrative unlike, say, Dragon Age, which is honestly what Legion is becoming. So yeah, a warcraft RPG would basically just be Kingdoms of Amalur with more distinct classes and familiar characters.
Yep! Still own the game too and had fun playing it when I did.

The gameplay reminded me mostly of Fable though.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:42 AM

Banished

I'd like something like Sacred (which is kinda like diablo i guess) with predeterminated classes.

Male:

Human Paladin
Orc Shaman
Dwarf Rifleman
Troll Berserk
Eredar Theocrat
Tauren Chieftain

Female:

Night Elf Huntress
Blood Elf Sorceress
Gnome Engineer
Goblin Shredder
Forsaken Apothecary
Worgen Druid
Old 06-29-2016, 11:48 AM

Eternal

I would give a nut for a Warcraft RPG made in the Kingdoms of Amalur style. That shit is awesome.

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
And that is the Drama to being part of the Horde. There are people out there who want you dead. You honestly can’t blame them. Do you lie down and die for them? No. You enjoy the challenge. You keep your head up and move forward.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:42 PM

Hippogryph Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
At a critical point in the game, the player discovers that he is Sargeras.
Knights of the Old Stormwind.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:52 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornedale View Post
TES3: Morrowind on steroids, basically.
Shit, that's actually the best description.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:31 PM

Hippogryph Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
I'd like something like Sacred (which is kinda like diablo i guess) with predeterminated classes.

Male:

Human Paladin
Orc Shaman
Dwarf Rifleman
Troll Berserk
Eredar Theocrat
Tauren Chieftain

Female:

Night Elf Huntress
Blood Elf Sorceress
Gnome Engineer
Goblin Shredder
Forsaken Apothecary
Worgen Druid
So basically men = fighters women = mages?
Old 06-30-2016, 01:03 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjiro Aragaki View Post
So basically men = fighters women = mages?
Shaman (more like wc3 version than wow's), Rifleman and Theocrat (Priest) wouldnt be exactly fighters.

Huntress (more like wc3 version than wow's), Shredder and Apothecary (more or less a rogue with more ranged tricks) wouldnt be exactly mages.

Last edited by GenyaArikado; 06-30-2016 at 01:07 AM..

Tags
fanwank, warcraft