Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2013, 11:34 PM

Elune

Default Legend of Korra, Book 2 & 3 & 4

If mods think this should be merged into the old thread go ahead. I just didn't want to bump it since it's been a year.

The panel at SDCC is tomorrow and I believe they're also airing the first episode as well.

But in more current news, check this out:

Ladies and gents, this is Wan. The very first Avatar, played by Steven Yeun from some show I've never heard of. He will be appearing in a two-parter during the new season. His story takes place 10,000 years ago.

---

So okay, here's I think everything that we know about book 2:

-Six months after book 1.
-One of the villains is a Dark Spirit living beneath the South Pole.
-Korra's cousins and uncle from the North Pole arrive for a festival of some sort.
--Korra's uncle is a fundamentalist and believer in the old wars of the water tribes (whatever that means). He is currently the leader of the North Pole.
-Asami leads her dad's company now.
-Bolin is still part of the Fire Ferrets, Korra and Mako are not.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.

Last edited by Reignac; 07-19-2013 at 12:31 AM..
Old 07-18-2013, 11:43 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

All the avatar shows suck. Self insistent pieces of shit.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:50 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
>The Last Airbender
>sucks

I call bullshit. It's apparent you haven't even watched the first show. There's NO WAY you watched the Last Airbender and you didn't fall in love with the setting or some of the characters, there's just... no way.

Last edited by Gortrash; 07-19-2013 at 12:11 AM..
Old 07-18-2013, 11:57 PM

Elune

Apparently Mike and Bryan brought back some of the original writers from TLA for Korra 2. They wrote book 1 on their own, and while they're good at world building and big plots I think book 1 shows they aren't too good on the details.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:11 AM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignac View Post
Apparently Mike and Bryan brought back some of the original writers from TLA for Korra 2. They wrote book 1 on their own, and while they're good at world building and big plots I think book 1 shows they aren't too good on the details.
*shudders at the horrible romance subplots* Yeah.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 07-19-2013, 12:14 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignac View Post
If that's true and we get settings and themes closer to The Last Airbender (the Spirit World) and the origin story of the first Avatar, Book 2 could be really awesome. One of the problems i had with Korra is that the show was too... modern?
Old 07-19-2013, 12:17 AM

The Digger

I thought the plot of non-benders rising up against their genetically blessed overlords was pretty cool. Then they gave us Amon's backstory and I died a little inside.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:18 AM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
I thought the plot of non-benders rising up against their genetically blessed overlords was pretty cool. Then they gave us Amon's backstory and I died a little inside.
Yeah they ignored the actual issue of Benders making nonbenders obsolete.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 07-19-2013, 12:24 AM

Elune

I didn't like Amon's backstory but I thought the idea of using bloodbending to stop bending was kind of cool. It felt like an evolution of Ty Lee's pressure points stuff.

So okay, here's I think everything that we know about book 2:

-Six months after book 1.
-One of the villains is a Dark Spirit living beneath the South Pole.
-Korra's cousins and uncle from the North Pole arrive for a festival of some sort.
--Korra's uncle is a fundamentalist and believer in the old wars of the water tribes (whatever that means). He is currently the leader of the North Pole.
-Asami leads her dad's company now.
-Bolin is still part of the Fire Ferrets, Korra and Mako are not.

With that said, goodbye.

Last edited by Reignac; 07-19-2013 at 12:31 AM..
Old 07-19-2013, 12:26 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Redeem thyself, show i want to like. Past mistakes are fruitful lessons!
Old 07-19-2013, 12:26 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gortrash View Post
>The Last Airbender
>sucks

I call bullshit. It's apparent you haven't even watched the first show. There's NO WAY you watched the Last Airbender and you didn't fall in love with the setting or some of the characters, there's just... no way.
I found the setting to be kind of offensive in a generic "Asian pastiche" sense, Katara was a relentless bitch, Zuko was the overplayed "animuu brooding guy" and Sokka and Ang were insufferable comic relief. The idiocy of the main characters made me feel that there were never any real stakes. I stopped watching it halfway into the first season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Yeah they ignored the actual issue of Benders making nonbenders obsolete.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:46 AM

Elune

Quote:
I found the setting to be kind of offensive in a generic "Asian pastiche" sense, Katara was a relentless bitch, Zuko was the overplayed "animuu brooding guy" and Sokka and Ang were insufferable comic relief. The idiocy of the main characters made me feel that there were never any real stakes. I stopped watching it halfway into the first season.
I disagree with your criticism about the setting, I don't consider it any more offensive than Pandaria. I give you points about the characters' flaws, although Aang and Sokka become a lot more serious later on. And the stakes were made clear early on in the show (Hell, it's all explained in the intro) and were set pretty high for Aang especially.

Overall, it's a really fun show to watch and I'm gonna apply Bolvar logic here and call you hipster scum for not liking what I like. But don't worry, my "hate" is almost immediately dissolved by my newfound respect for you for spelling the characters' names right.

Last edited by Gortrash; 07-19-2013 at 05:17 AM..
Old 07-19-2013, 08:27 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
This this this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:33 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:

I don't think any villain will live up to Amon (at least his early presentation).
Old 07-19-2013, 08:45 AM

Eternal

Quote:
That's because Korra's writing team is just George Lucas.

Quote:
The idiocy of the main characters made me feel that there were never any real stakes.
Stop agreeing with me you goddamn bastard.

Next you'll be agreeing with me on the finale, which used a blatant Deus Ex Machina because the writers didn't know what to fucking do because they wrote themselves into a wall.

Much like in Korra, when they just had Korra on the side of the oppressors and made the Equalists do a 180 degree heel dive. Yet instead of explaining the necessity of their actions and how this isn't like the fucking Holocaust (which they tried to fucking portray it as, genocide of jews) - they just go in with they are the Empire.

Let alone you people nearly forget this piece

Republic City was made for the sole purpose of satisfying the interests of Fire Bender Colonists who didn't want to leave.

Quote:
Stupid shit about isolationism, and bridal shit and - you people can't be seriously telling me you're expectin good things from this.

Stop now while you're at Episode 2, so when we're at Episode 3 I won't be able to fully mock you for your blind optimism.

A beloved archetype of modern era!" - Kir the Gul'dan
Old 07-19-2013, 08:50 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Seriously, it felt like they were actually gearing up to deal with the fact that the cosmology of that universe is desperately and despicably imbalanced, and that the Equalists, though violent and cruel, were totally justified in their anger if not quite their deeds. I was actually pretty excited to see them explore how people without magic powers can be just as valuable, strong and human as the demigods we're expected to treat as protagonists. Amon fighting against and beating benders as a mortal man, Mako choosing Asami over Korra, the police chief being stripped of her powers and forced to confront her own mortality as the rest of the world does every day. It was all so subversive and intelligent and cool!

Then literally all of it got flushed away for no reason. For fuck's sake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:53 AM

Eternal

Aren't Mike and Bryn the same fuckwits who made jokes about a shipping fandom within the fandom, and now are persistently defending their unrealistic fandom (Makorra) against critiques because it's worthless.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:12 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Eliphas View Post
Republic City was made for the sole purpose of satisfying the interests of Fire Bender Colonists who didn't want to leave.
Wait... what? Where the hell did that come from?
Old 07-19-2013, 09:22 AM

Eternal

One of the fucking shitty ATLA comic-tie ins. "The Promise."

Old 07-19-2013, 09:30 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Eliphas View Post
One of the fucking shitty ATLA comic-tie ins. "The Promise."
Oh. I've only heard about that comic, never read it.

Well, so far with Aang and Zuko's romanticized vision to build a city where benders and non-benders from around the world can live together.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:38 AM

Eternal

They try to BS it by having 'Earth Benders and Fire Benders work in harmony in the place of who gives a shit'. There's also cliches like "Promise me you'll end me if I turn out lik my father", which are unnecessary but I guess fuck it.

The whole thing is a conflict between the Harmony Restoration Movement and the Settlers who blended into the populace. OH GEE, OH MAI, a fucking girl with an earthbender and fire bender heritage who falls in love wih an earth bender who was given no dialogue throughout the series (Seers).

How I'm so conflicted over the Duty and Honor Zuko has to go through, and that the Hundred Years War may start again, despite the fact this is just an apologetic statement towards colonialism in how it's actually done rather than a way to bring about peace.

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/The_Promise (Read it for yourselves if you dare)

Old 07-19-2013, 09:41 AM

Hon hon hon

Default vatar shit.

There is only one thing whichmatters : Where the fuck is Sokka Legacy ? Where is his bloodline, etc ? I don't care about some ancient Avatar shit, I want Sokka !
Old 07-19-2013, 09:41 AM

Elune

Can we just pretend the comics are not canon?
Old 07-19-2013, 09:43 AM

Hon hon hon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gortrash View Post
Can we just pretend the comics are not canon?
Why : so far the Searh is good, and the previos one (whose name eludes me for now) was also good. Better than the Book 1 of LOK.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 AM

Eternal

Sure, just like we can pretend Book 1 never existed and George Lucas never made the prequels. We gotta face these thing some day though. I can give you pizza rolls as a way to cope.

Tags
crushed dreams, elphias hates this, entertainment, zhu li do the thing