Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 11-30-2016, 04:06 PM

Eternal

Default Chronicle Vol. 2 - What can we expect and what not?

Seeing how the next volume of Chronicle is slowly approaching, I've figured we could use a thread containing all the info we have of its contents, of which is there quite a plenty.

General information

1. Volume II should be a little bit longer than Volume I.

2. Dates will be again shown at the beginning of each chapter, no timeline.

3. The book covers the history of Draenor, Warcraft I, Warcraft II and Beyond the Dark Portal, ending with the destruction of Draenor.

Draenor

1. As for Draenor, there is going to be focus on ancient Draenor as well as the Rise of the Horde. Not much about Argus.

2. An ancient orcish war is going to be featured.

3. No information about the Blood River War, due to space constraints.

4. The fate of the Apexis is going to be revealed.

5. The fate of Goria is going to be explained.

6. There are going to be maps showing territorial changes pre and post rise of the Horde.

7. Some minor orcish clans are going to be talked about.

8. Chronicle will focus solely on the Main Universe Draenor.

9. Some of the Lords of War events are going to be mentioned. However, the Blackhand comic will likely not.

10. Blackhand is getting focus in his prime.

11. Teron Gorefiend is going to get some focus.

12. The Draenei during the time between their escape from Argus and arrival on Draenor are going to be delved into. The level of detail was unknown at the time.

Azeroth

1. There's going to be a territorial pre-First Map of the Easten Kingdoms, showing borders of its nations.

2. Alonsus Faol will get some spotlight.

3. There will be a lot of information about major races. Some will get more spotlight, but others will get delved into as well.

4. There might be something about an interaction/conflict between Stormwind and the Gurubashi.

5. Medivh's life before the Dark Portal is going to get some detail.

6. Nothing about the Brotherhood of the Horse.

7. A little bit about Varian's mother.

8. There's going to be some general info about the Runestones. Nothing specific about the one at Caer Darrow, though.

9. Zul'jin is going to be featured.

10. There will likely be some genuinely new information concerning the First War.

11. The naval battles of the Second War are going to be looked into.

12. The battle of Crestfall is going to be covered.

13. The invasion and liberation of Khaz Modan are going to be covered.

14. Danath as a hero of the Second War is going to get a mention.

15. There will be a little about the story concerning the Scepter of Sargeras.

To be continued...

Last edited by Marthen; 02-12-2017 at 01:08 PM..
Old 11-30-2016, 04:09 PM

Elune

get ready for the garithos chapter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:14 PM

Elune

Haven't read Vol.1 as I wanted to see if they continue making them. I'll get it along with Vol.2. I want more info on the human kingdoms, mainly Alterac.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:19 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Haven't read Vol.1 as I wanted to see if they continue making them. I'll get it along with Vol.2. I want more info on the human kingdoms, mainly Alterac.
Well, there is a little bit of new information concerning Alterac in the first volume. As for the second one, we will finally know its borders at the very least.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:30 PM

Sentinel Queen

Screenshots of the preview they showed at Blizzcon courtesy of Kiraser:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiraser View Post
I've managed to screenshot all of them. ^^

Here you are.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:02 AM

Eternal

Looking at the orc on the left, it seems like they are using the movie design for Blackhand. Not that I mind that, the way Blackhand looked in the movie was one of its (few) highlights.

Last edited by Marthen; 12-01-2016 at 02:06 AM..
Old 12-01-2016, 02:27 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mending View Post
Screenshots of the preview they showed at Blizzcon courtesy of Kiraser:
^^

Plus, a better resolution of the fight between Grond and Botan, the progenitors of the Breakers and Primals. They are enormous.

Some additional info about Vol. 2 from Blizzcon:

- The origins of Draenor. The devs promised that it's an interesting story, since it's very different from the ancient history of Azeroth. For example, while the elements of Azeroth bathed in the primordial chaos, the elements of Draenor strived to live in harmony and were quite passive (maybe it's because Draenor is rich with the Spirit element, since there's no world-soul to consume it).

- History of ancient Draenor civilizations: Apexis, ancient orcish clans and ogre empire.

- No ancient history of Argus and the eredar in Vol. 2. But the devs would like to write a story about these topics in the future.

- Vol. 3 will have some info about the tauren culture prior to the Third War.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:54 AM

Elune

Not a fan of movie Blackhand. I want a proper depiction of him wearing his antler helmet. Same with Gul'dan. I prefer him without spikes coming out of his back. I hope Lothar doesn't get Ragnar'd... Sure I liked the movie but lets keep it separate from the games.

Anyway any chance we'll get more info on Blackhand's children, mainly Maim and Griselda. The temporary existence of the Black Tooth Grin would also be nice.

Burning Blade pls along with proper definition of what a blademaster actually is.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:23 AM

Banished

Must admit, I'm really looking forward to V.2

Though I'm still fairly salty we didn't get more Dwarven fluff in V.1, especially relating to the events before the War of the Three Hammers, and it's aftermath.

Can only hope they do the Orcs justice with V.2, because right now, when it comes to pre-Azeroth Orc Lore? All we've got is WoD. Top kek.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:54 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Not a fan of movie Blackhand. I want a proper depiction of him wearing his antler helmet. Same with Gul'dan. I prefer him without spikes coming out of his back. I hope Lothar doesn't get Ragnar'd... Sure I liked the movie but lets keep it separate from the games.

Anyway any chance we'll get more info on Blackhand's children, mainly Maim and Griselda. The temporary existence of the Black Tooth Grin would also be nice.

Burning Blade pls along with proper definition of what a blademaster actually is.
Well, that Blackhand does not his helm in that art does not have to mean he does not have it period. It is not exactly a combat situation. And other than the helmet, what's wrong with that look? I find it great.

Also, Gul'dan's spikes were a thing as far as Warcraft III goes, so, uhm, yeah. I was not a fan of theirs either, but at this point, it's basically too late to change that.

Agree on the rest, nonetheless.

Last edited by Marthen; 12-01-2016 at 05:56 AM..
Old 12-01-2016, 06:02 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Well, that Blackhand does not his helm in that art does not have to mean he does not have it period. It is not exactly a combat situation. And other than the helmet, what's wrong with that look? I find it great.
Its not very unique or memorable. Just spikier pauldrons. Screams generic orc boss to me.

Quote:
Also, Gul'dan's spikes were a thing as far as Warcraft III goes, so, uhm, yeah. I was not a fan of theirs either, but at this point, it's basically too late to change that.
Nah, those were just stakes with skulls on top of them, kept in his backpack! Watch the Tomb of Sargeras cutscenes and you'll see his backpack.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:19 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Its not very unique or memorable. Just spikier pauldrons. Screams generic orc boss to me.

Nah, those were just stakes with skulls on top of them, kept in his backpack! Watch the Tomb of Sargeras cutscenes and you'll see his backpack.
How is an antler helmet less generic? And those are not just spikier pauldrons. He wears Warchief's plate (the same kind Doomhammer and Thrall later wear, though presumambly not the same set) with Rylak skulls attacked to it, how exactly is that generic orc boss? I mean, alright, but at that point, we could literally consider most of the orc chieftains generic.

As for Gul'dan, I am aware of that. The thing is that those skeletal things are simply attached to Gul'dan's body armor, which is not really that different from being in bag. I know the movie made it seem like they grow out of Gul'dan's body, but that's actually not the case in the game universe, as shown in the Gul'dan and the Stranger comic.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:33 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Check his new model. They are actually part of his body, not his armor.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:03 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Check his new model. They are actually part of his body, not his armor.
Which model?

Edit:

Ah, you are speaking of this one.

Well, I am not sure if we should take it that seriously, this is half-demon Gul'dan after all, and it's not like AU Kilrogg did not have a few skulls grow on his beard after drinking the blood. But alright, fair point, my apologies. Still, I really do not see this as a glaring issue.

(I guess I should have let it go immediately, but I just like being devil's advocate sometimes.)

Last edited by Marthen; 12-01-2016 at 07:24 AM..
Old 12-01-2016, 07:18 AM

Elune

Quote:
How is an antler helmet less generic? And those are not just spikier pauldrons. He wears Warchief's plate (the same kind Doomhammer and Thrall later wear, though presumambly not the same set) with Rylak skulls attacked to it, how exactly is that generic orc boss? I mean, alright, but at that point, we could literally consider most of the orc chieftains generic.
Personal preference s'all. I think this look makes him stand out from other warriors and makes him look like a leader, not a mook or general.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:25 AM

Eternal

No problem. That Warchief's plate does about the same for me, but as you said, personal preference.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:43 AM

Elune

Orc Icon (War3)

Soooooo fucking PUMPED for this volume, lads.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:15 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
Soooooo fucking PUMPED for this volume, lads.
Aye, it covers the best era (old Draenor and the old Alliance) there is in Warcraft. I hope it won't dissapoint, but I have faith in Matt after Volume I.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:04 AM

World Builder

Always wondered where it came from, a Talbuk? Or was it from the first thing they killed in Azeroth like some random deer or something? Blackhand doesn't seem the type to much respect herbivores so why's he wear it?

... was it a gift from Griselda or Rend/Maim or something? I wonder if Urugal ever came to Azeroth or if she stayed in Draenor.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-02-2016, 09:08 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Always wondered where it came from, a Talbuk? Or was it from the first thing they killed in Azeroth like some random deer or something? Blackhand doesn't seem the type to much respect herbivores so why's he wear it?

... was it a gift from Griselda or Rend/Maim or something? I wonder if Urugal ever came to Azeroth or if she stayed in Draenor.
Rylak. Already mentioned it here, by the way.

Edit: Oh, you mean the antler helm. Yeah, I've found that pretty weird as well, in all honesty.

Last edited by Marthen; 12-02-2016 at 09:25 AM..
Old 12-02-2016, 10:15 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Rylak. Already mentioned it here, by the way.

Edit: Oh, you mean the antler helm. Yeah, I've found that pretty weird as well, in all honesty.
Yeah and no offense but fuck Rylak, frickn Discount chimera awkwardass gangly neck things.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 12-02-2016, 10:23 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Yeah and no offense but fuck Rylak, frickn Discount chimera awkwardass gangly neck things.
Ok.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:37 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Gameplaywise, I agree. Considering how diverse other hunter pet families are, there was no reason to separate rylaks from chimeras.

Lorewise, I disagree. Even if the fauna and flore of both planets are very similar, there should be differences. Making them chimeras would also have been detrimental to the night elves.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:02 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Gameplaywise, I agree. Considering how diverse other hunter pet families are, there was no reason to separate rylaks from chimeras.

Lorewise, I disagree. Even if the fauna and flore of both planets are very similar, there should be differences. Making them chimeras would also have been detrimental to the night elves.
You misunderstand completely.

I don't want them as Chimeras. I want them to NOT EXIST.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 12-02-2016, 12:30 PM

Eternal

Quote:
You misunderstand completely.

I don't want them as Chimeras. I want them to NOT EXIST.
Well, that's your holy right, but with all due respect, I am glad you are not the one making the calls.

Tags
lore, warcraft