Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2019, 02:49 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardeiute View Post
I feel that the harsh moderation was because of the extreme toxicity. Unless that's what you were saying and it went over my head.
That's exactly what I'm saying.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 07-01-2019, 08:10 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
Now this is some next-level delusional nostalgia.
Nah many of us liked the absolute freedom of speech thing that was going on. When Cantus decided to mess with this place for the lulz it went sideways pretty fast and a lot of people left.

Obviously talking about the very public exile of right leaning posters. Ofc what most killed traffic on this site was the discord server.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:34 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Ofc what most killed traffic on this site was the discord server.
Fucking Skytotem ruining SoL!
Old 07-01-2019, 01:04 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
. Ofc what most killed traffic on this site was the discord server.
Id say it was a combination of that, and the long time that the site went through being a slug to load pages. Link a thread/next patch, going to another tab then finally the page would load after a minute. Just made the site practically unusable. Which is a pretty contributing factor to the Discord getting popular. And once people made the shift over there, once the site was brought back up to speed, the damage was done. People had already left, the community, or figured discord was more to their liking
Old 07-01-2019, 03:26 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardeiute View Post
Id say it was a combination of that, and the long time that the site went through being a slug to load pages. Link a thread/next patch, going to another tab then finally the page would load after a minute. Just made the site practically unusable. Which is a pretty contributing factor to the Discord getting popular. And once people made the shift over there, once the site was brought back up to speed, the damage was done. People had already left, the community, or figured discord was more to their liking
I disagree with that. Well maybe it is just me being a grognard who remembers dial-up but I felt people were being pampered babies when they complained about SoL speed. I mean yeah it sucked but open a few tabs you like and by the time you are done doing that the first loaded and you're set.

And indeed now the speed issue is fixed and people remain gone. Obviously the issue was never really about speed but people liking Discord more. Which is baffling to me, even on small discords your words are like a wave in a storm, no meaningful discussion can take place. And SoL discord is not small.

Well at least we can have memories of a forum from a more civilized time
Old 07-01-2019, 11:48 PM

Priestess of the Moon

I mean, I don't know about the rest of you, but I still use the site. Discord is great, but it's format doesn't allow for long form posts that you can save and repost for later. A board like this still has it's utility, which is why I maintain the hot-take thread.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:03 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Now this is some next-level delusional nostalgia.
In the early 2010's people had a superpower, nowadays lost:

When they didn't like a thread or post, they ignored it and moved along.

Quote:
Nah many of us liked the absolute freedom of speech thing that was going on. When Cantus decided to mess with this place for the lulz it went sideways pretty fast and a lot of people left.

Obviously talking about the very public exile of right leaning posters. Ofc what most killed traffic on this site was the discord server.
I'm talking about way before Cantus went full SJW though. The 2016 campaign was just the icing on the cake.

It began with Yuber8900 messing with posts, for the lulz, and got worse around the WotLK leaks, when Omacron started enforcing NDAs because he was cocksucking for an internship at Blizzard.

I remember how multiple users, including Rolandius, Xie, and Slowpoke were constantly harassed by people that didn't like them, some with mod powers, because they posted too much (or just happened to post at threads made by people who didn't like them).

And then I remember how those same mods were constantly spamming proto-memes and dumb crap all over the place, purposely ruining threads they didn't like, and no one gave a damn. Don't even try doing the same to them though, you'd get humiliated or banned.

Speaking of Cantus, he should have been instantly demoted the moment he accidentally deleted the original spam thread.

Moderation ruined this place.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 07-10-2019, 07:24 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Quote:

You and I have a very different recollection of what happened.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:19 PM

Elune

Quote:
You and I have a very different recollection of what happened.
Heh, alright.

And what is The Official SoL History by Saranus? Genuinely curious about your take on events despite the bit of snark.