Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > StarCraft Discussion

Old 05-30-2019, 06:20 AM

Druid of the Claw

Default Reboot the lore?

Over in the Warcraft lore sub-forum, there are a few discussions on rewriting the lore of Warcraft to be less absurd. There was a huge thread years ago detailing an account of the second war as if it was actual history.

I wonder whether something along the same lines could be done for Starcraft. Is anyone interested in that?

There was a huge thread a couple years ago trying to do something similar for Starcraft, but there didn't seem to be much interest from the fandom. Anyway, I loved the overall premise presented there but disagreed with some of the details.

There are a bunch of different directions I could imagine a realistic reboot going. I went through a bunch of different ideas myself over the last couple years.

If anyone is interested in hearing my ideas or discussing this further, then leave a reply.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:47 PM

Ranger

I don't see the problem with trying.

I think the difference is that Warcraft ended up as a much bigger franchise than Starcraft and so more are invested in its world then get dissapointed in how the world develops.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:19 AM

Ranger

Double post, but I'll do it. I think if one reboots Starcraft one should lay down what each faction is like compared with canon, what is to be done about the Kerrigans and Mengsks, etc.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:25 AM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacofonix View Post
I don't see the problem with trying.

I think the difference is that Warcraft ended up as a much bigger franchise than Starcraft and so more are invested in its world then get dissapointed in how the world develops.
Definitely.

Quote:
Double post, but I'll do it. I think if one reboots Starcraft one should lay down what each faction is like compared with canon, what is to be done about the Kerrigans and Mengsks, etc.
Long story short, the narrative would be faction- and character-driven rather than plot-driven. Instead of Amon arbitrarily deciding to destroy the universe, it would be the Zerg deciding to remake the universe in their own image because that's how they always evolved to work.

So the major differences in the factions compared to canon would be:
  • The terrans are composed of a number of nation-states and power blocs that have their own political motives and desires. You can oversimplify it as "Confederacy/Dominion evil, Protectorate/Directorate good," but in truth every faction has members of variable morality. Due to the bureaucracy and politics, it isn't actually feasible for a single person to rule everything with an iron fist. Killing Evil Emperor Mengsk won't magically solve the systemic problems with the Confederate states (every Old Family rules at least one). You need to actually reform the government into a democracy.
  • The zerg are the main villains and are so alien that they might as well be evil for all that it matters to everyone else. They are not peaceful space orcs enslaved by space Satan, they are vicious monsters whose natural behavior is to consume and dominate. They are a true hive mind, not a slave race, so it isn't possible for one person to take control of them and change their goals. Anyone who tries will invariably abandon any prior goals in favor of advancing the zerg's domination. You can use drugs and tech to trick zerg broods into doing stuff for you, but this is playing with fire and doesn't change their essential nature. Even so, the zerg do have a highly advanced albeit alien culture that other races simply never see.
  • The protoss are not a dying race dependent on stolen xel'naga tech, but rule a galactic empire in the middle of a cultural and technological renaissance. They could mop the floor with the terrans and zerg if they cared too, but arrogance and compassion prevents them from doing so. Their civilization is composed of a dizzying variety of tribes with distinct cultures. Some of these are part of the Protoss Empire, while heretics form their own nation-states living in the shadows.

The first contact war or whatever you wish to call it occurs as a result of the zerg invading the terran sector to assimilate humanity's myriad psychic mutations (which were ironically engineered based on researching protoss/xel'naga ruins) in order to develop weapons against the protoss. The protoss discover zerg probes and send an expedition to investigate the threat. Things rapidly spiral out of control until the terran sector falls into a free-for-all with numerous factions duking it out for the fate of humanity.

I'm working out some timelines that I will post eventually.

Regarding Kerry and Mengsk, they might exist but they aren't going to have arbitrary control over the terran sector like they did in canon. Their story is small-scale and tangential to the sector as a whole. I don't like their canon characters at all because they are badly written, but if I had to then I could try and salvage them.

My latest idea is to retroactively apply their SC2 characterization.
  • Arcturus was always an evil villain who personally oversaw the murder of his family and the destruction of Korhal so that he could reform the sub-sector into his Dominion, a member state of the greater Confederacy.
  • Kerry was a victim of Confederate experiments with the zerg: she was infested and then injected with anti-zerg nanomachines that restored her humanity. She's terrified of the zerg and distrusts any control experiments.*
  • Valerian is now a leader (but not THE leader) of the Sons of Korhal, and he is the one who rescued Kerry and decided to assist the revolt on Mar Sara. As the Sara system is within the Dominion sub-sector, this means that they'll be dealing primarily with Dominion armed forces.

* Remember the tutorial mission in HotS when Kerry said the zerg cannot be controlled while controlling them herself? I thought that was bloody stupid, so if it happened under my watch then it was because she actually lost control during experiments. She's not a mary sue who can control the zerg any more.

As for the UED, a fan favorite, my idea was to place Earth in the terran sector and make them a member state of the Umojan Protectorate. Earth is one of the planets purified in the opening battles of the war, so the UED has a personal vendetta against the zerg swarm and the protoss empire.

The protoss expedition is divided between two factions, one that considers the terrans' lives forfeit and another that wants to rescue the terrans.

A new power bloc, taken from the old alternity rpg, is the Alliance. It is composed of Umojan Protectorate states, sympathizers in the protoss schism, and some dark protoss who decided to help humanity fight for democracy.

I have plenty of other ideas, but those are some big ones.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:07 AM

Ranger

I see how you'd call Kerrigan bad writing. Same goes for Mengsk. What about other notable characters like pre-retcon Overmind, Artanis, Raynor, the Ghosts?
Old 06-04-2019, 03:21 AM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:
I see how you'd call Kerrigan bad writing. Same goes for Mengsk. What about other notable characters like pre-retcon Overmind, Artanis, Raynor, the Ghosts?
In general, I would prefer to treat the setting as a sandbox rather than give a particular character epic hero privilege because I prefer a more down-to-earth atmosphere.

More Specifically:
  • Overmind is fine as the Zerg’s God. It has a simple, alien and IMO compelling motivation because it represents the Zerg’s basic instinctual drives. Devour all and maximize the Zerg’s existence. Effective.
  • Artanis doesn’t have a personality that I can see.
  • Raynor was fine as a space outlaw with Tychus, but canon turned him into a mass murdering psychopath. (Several of the cast have this problem.)
  • The ghosts are brainwashed super soldiers. What about them?