Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 03-23-2016, 05:09 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
I thought all they did was heal the tree, not explicitly bless it with immortality?
Actually, that's right. Alexstrasza and Ysera re-blessed it, but not Nozdormu. Presumably to make it proof against corruption.

Then Deathwing removed their blessings off-screen between 4.2 and 4.3 because...I dunno, I guess Blizz decided they made a mistake and forgot that the ending of Cataclysm would be sufficient reason for the blessings to be gone rather than a handwaved "um, Deathwing did it I guess."
Old 03-23-2016, 05:10 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Actually, that's right. Alexstrasza and Ysera re-blessed it, but not Nozdormu. Presumably to make it proof against corruption.
Hmm, wasn't it Teldrassil that got blessed by both, in the Stormrage book?

Now I'm really confused...

Edit:
Ahh, now I remembered Sean's answer to my question regarding Maiev. If Nozdormu never offered to give them immortality back, it stands to reason that he never re-blessed anything.

Last edited by Nazja; 03-23-2016 at 05:16 PM..
Old 03-23-2016, 05:20 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Hmm, wasn't it Teldrassil that got blessed by both, in the Stormrage book?

Now I'm really confused...
Yeah, I'm struggling to recall for certain myself. The whole World Tree thing got screwy when we went out of our way to save Thrall so he could help heal it, then decided to go bear witness to Thrall's wedding instead.

That's still just...I kinda get the Malfurion/Tyrande one in Stormrage (sorta/kinda; it's still enormously dumb) but it's just incomprehensibly bizarre that they felt it was necessary for two aliens from a tribal hunter/warrior society on another planet where their spiritual beliefs are rooted in elemental shamanism to basically have a Judeo-Christian wedding with an Aspect as the priest.

Incidentally, without the Aspects and their blessings, every single World Tree left on Azeroth is probably a huge liability just waiting for an Old God to slither into its roots and corrupt it.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:37 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

I think people overthink weddings.

Remember that short story with Thrall and Deathwing? Didn't they bless the tree then? Not sure if you people are neglecting that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:52 PM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvant View Post
where can i find information on what happened in the kingdom of stormwind between its fall and wow ?

Where there horde settlement or did all the orcs move toward the burning steppe to pursue their conquest ?

What about their interaction with the locals ( human or not ) ?

Also, anything about the reconquest ?
?
Old 03-24-2016, 02:23 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Leveled a character through outland and wanted to go back to something that bugged me:

The broken draenei are said to be incapable of using the light, right? Not like the blood elves who lost faith in the light and regained it, but there's something that physically, literally changes in them that cuts them off, correct?

Was there any explanation for why the Murkblood Healer NPCs in the Underbog can use priest abilities, then?

Also: I'm sure I didn't come up with this theory, but is there any evidence for or against that the blood of Seethe which turned the high arakkoa into their current forms was what turned the Draenei into Broken?
Old 03-24-2016, 02:27 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Also: I'm sure I didn't come up with this theory, but is there any evidence for or against that the blood of Seethe which turned the high arakkoa into their current forms was what turned the Draenei into Broken?
I think that it was either Kosak or someone else said that while it may look similar, there is no connection between the "Red Mist" of Outland and the Blood of Seethe.

As for the Murkblood. I figured that it had something to do, either with gameplay, or Illidan.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:28 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post
I think that it was either Kosak or someone else said that while it may look similar, there is no connection between the "Red Mist" of Outland and the Blood of Seethe.

As for the Murkblood. I figured that it had something to do, either with gameplay, or Illidan.
I haven't heard anything about them not being connected. I'd love if you can provide a source.

It's just, to me, the red mist seems like such a powerful weapon that could be used against the Orcs' and Legion's enemies and yet it's only ever used on Shattrath once. Imagine if the paladins of Stormwind were cut off from their light, or the Sisters of Elune? It's almost as bad as the Forsaken plague and yet it's never mentioned again.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I haven't heard anything about them not being connected. I'd love if you can provide a source.

It's just, to me, the red mist seems like such a powerful weapon that could be used against the Orcs' and Legion's enemies and yet it's only ever used on Shattrath once. Imagine if the paladins of Stormwind were cut off from their light, or the Sisters of Elune? It's almost as bad as the Forsaken plague and yet it's never mentioned again.
While I also have no sauce, I remember seeing the tweet MCA is talking about. I think that it was an answer to one of Xarthat's questions.

Maybe it was engineered to harm draenei specifically (since Kil totes hates them), so it doesn't work on other races. Maybe adapting it, so it works on other races, can only be done if you actually have test subjects/the genetic material.

Last edited by Nazja; 03-24-2016 at 02:32 PM..
Old 03-24-2016, 02:34 PM

Elune

I'll have to dig through twitter to find it. All I remember was being disappointed in that answer because like you, I thought that we finally know where that "Red Mist" came from and a possible answer as to why we haven't seen it used since.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:49 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Stncold#1786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morvant View Post
Where can I find information on what happened in the kingdom of Stormwind between its fall and WoW ?
There really isn't much information. After Stormwind fell it was nearly completely destroyed by the Horde and they probably just left a small force behind. After the Second War it was rebuilt and then just kinda did its own thing. Not much known about that era other than the stuff with the stonemasons that led to the formation of the Defias Brotherhood.

Quote:
Where there horde settlement or did all the orcs move toward the burning steppe to pursue their conquest ?
I don't really think so. After Stormwind fell the orcs followed the surviving humans north to conquer more lands. Doomhammer claimed Blackrock Spire as their base because he felt it was a good omen that it held the same name as their clan, but I don't believe he was gonna stay there forever. He wanted the Horde to settle in Lordaeron for good once they conquered it.

Quote:
What about their interaction with the locals ( human or not ) ?
They pretty much killed everyone they came across except the trolls.

Quote:
Also, anything about the reconquest ?
If you mean the reconquest of Stormwind I don't think anything has ever been mentioned of it.

I imagine that since the Horde was broken and leaderless it was pretty easy. Assuming that Doomhamer had left any orcs there to defend it. The city was already fairly rebuilt two years after the Second War.

Last edited by Yorenec; 03-24-2016 at 02:53 PM..
Old 03-24-2016, 03:07 PM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorenec View Post
snip
Thanks !
Old 03-24-2016, 04:19 PM

Hippogryph Rider

Greetings.

Does somebody know where it is stated that Thorim's power could turn a continent to dust? i've read it in wowpedia. But it has no source and i want to know if it is true.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjiro Aragaki View Post
Greetings.

Does somebody know where it is stated that Thorim's power could turn a continent to dust? i've read it in wowpedia. But it has no source and i want to know if it is true.
Flame Leviathan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brann Bronzebeard
Ah, the tower of Krolmir. It is said that the power of Thorim has been used only once... and that it turned an entire continent to dust.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:32 PM

Hippogryph Rider

Quote:
Flame Leviathan.
My deepest thanks.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:44 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Currently debating on Wowpedia: Does anything in WotLK (or pre-Chronicle) give a timeline to the creation of the iron races (even relative to each other and other things)?

With the iron vrykul as the original from of the vrykul, the iron armies plot may now make less sense.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
Currently debating on Wowpedia: Does anything in WotLK (or pre-Chronicle) give a timeline to the creation of the iron races (even relative to each other and other things)?

With the iron vrykul as the original from of the vrykul, the iron armies plot may now make less sense.
The encounter journal of Halls of Stone implies that vrykul were made out of iron from the start, since Sjonnir was already around when Loken got corrupted. In other words, Chronicle isn't the only thing that messes the story up.
Quote:
While some resisted Loken's corruption, Sjonnir the Ironshaper was eager to turn the Forge of Wills to a darker purpose. He considers his new creations vastly superior to the earthen, and will unleash them on any who defy Loken's will.
However, Sjonnir might just share the iron vrykul model and be made out of another metal, instead of iron-saronite. (Problem: Is it confirmed that they're made out of saronite?)

If saronite is a part of the alloy they're made out of, then you can calculate how old they are.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:03 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
The encounter journal of Halls of Stone implies that vrykul were made out of iron from the start, since Sjonnir was already around when Loken got corrupted. In other words, Chronicle isn't the only thing that messes the story up.
Yes. However, Sjonnir is the first iron vrykul seen, and a major part of Halls of Lightning is a factory where more are made.

So, if he predates Loken's corruption, then why are the iron races ALL evil, when there are at least multiple generations?

Quote:
However, Sjonnir might just share the iron vrykul model and be made out of another metal, instead of iron-saronite. (Problem: Is it confirmed that they're made out of saronite?)

If saronite is a part of the alloy they're made out of, then you can calculate how old they are.
That is only confirmed to be true for the Iron Colossus, I think.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Yes. However, Sjonnir is the first iron vrykul seen, and a major part of Halls of Lightning is a factory where more are made.

So, if he predates Loken's corruption, then why are the iron races ALL evil, when there are at least multiple generations?
Exactly, I was just pointing out that Chronicle isn't the only wrinkle.

Maybe he's actually made out of another metal, so there's actually no pre-corruption iron races generation?

Other option: most pre-corruption vrykul got hit by the CoF, so besides Sjonnir, all the iron vrykul, dwarves and giants were created after Loken got corrupted?

Quote:
That is only confirmed to be true for the Iron Colossus, I think.
That's what I think too. However, they all seem to be immune to the CoF; that sounds like an effect that being made out of a saronite alloy would have. After all, if they already serve Loken, why weaken them?

Edit:
Other thing that's weird:
Sjonnir seems to be the makes of the iron races, and according to Chronicle, Ignis and Volkhan (and that other fire giant) make golems.

However, Volkhan also makes iron vrykul (and presumably all the other races in Loken's legions), without using the Forge of Wills?

Last edited by Nazja; 03-29-2016 at 05:21 PM..
Old 03-30-2016, 09:13 PM

Revenant - Moderator

I wrote some observations about the Broken Isles' location in Legion. It seems like there were two Broken Isles at some point. I wonder what the story is there.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:02 AM

Eternal

With the RPG non-canon, is there anything saying makrura have any sort of society? They seem like just animals in-game.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:16 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
With the RPG non-canon, is there anything saying makrura have any sort of society? They seem like just animals in-game.
There's Makrura servants of Arkorran and there was some sort of organized effort going on around the shores of Pandaria, so there definitely some intelligence hiding in their shells.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:08 AM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
Warcraft 3 makrura creeps had names like tidecaller, deepseer and tidal lord.

It is what it is, but that could suggest them having some sort of social structure.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:11 AM

Keeper of the Grove

So, as Legion nears, I'm looking to get together the backstory of my Demon Hunter. One thing I've wanted is for him to be ex-Highborne.

AFAIK from Chronicles, all the non-Shendralar Highborne turned into High Elves, which leaves the only option being as old as the Sundering, correct? This also brings me to... Demon Hunters. Chronicles had nothing on who they were, and how they got started. I took a break from WoW lore for a while, so has any info surfaced in Legion to the backstory of Demon Hunters themselves? Is there anything on them at all?

"Icrecrown: I hear the natives can be real liches..."
Old 04-11-2016, 11:39 AM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingGod View Post

AFAIK from Chronicles, all the non-Shendralar Highborne turned into High Elves, which leaves the only option being as old as the Sundering, correct?
I believe there was a third group that tried to mess with the Blue Dragonflight and ended up making the Crystalsong forest. Not sure if that helps though.

Tags
isn't taran zhu dead?, lore, newbie, where are illidans pants