Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > Overwatch Discussion

Old 07-04-2016, 12:36 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
In fairness, I didn't see the thing Dru mentioned, I was more aiming my salt at that trash talking moron McCree, who was garbage himself (which amused me) but when the guy has a Hanzo spamming Scatter Arrows on his team, well yeah. Amusing.

Hanzo is the one Hero that I legit get angry dying to, because half of the time, it's blind fucking luck due to his retardly generous/buggy hitbox. As if that's not bad enough, you then get Scatter Arrow which is literally "No Skill, Free Kill" if used in a small area. And we top it off with that fucking Ult.
So..

I main Hanzo (more accurate to say i chose him to get good at first ), and a few things ive noticed, read up on. With the caveat that im on Xbone, hes a pretty fun character as a more aggressive sniper, which is how i play him, generally.

Most of my non-ult PoTG are rapid succesion short range choke points (or mercy rezzes). When im feeling it, i average 15-23 kills a game, and at this point get POTG more often than not, unless im screwing around.

You complain about hanzos hitbox (Torj, I think Mei, mercy, and D.va have the same hit box, due to projectile vs hitscan) .. What would you do to fix it?

Weak arrows unless full draw a scatter shot that has to be saved for defence, unless you want to die, a higher skillcap for aiming, a slower bullet, and a 1.5 second drawback on the bow, with no rapid fire option like Widow.

I agree current hit box issues are a bit silly, but what would be a fix for you, considering Hanzos likely to see a buff based on competitive rankings more than a nerf?

Faster projectile in trade for a smaller hit box? I think youd see a greater skill gap with that option A faster charge on the bow, and higher damage on arrows not charged?

Personally, I think a proper fix is going to require redesigns of the core systems, otherwise its going to be an ongoing balancing act that swings from OP to UP every adjustment
Old 07-04-2016, 12:48 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Old 07-04-2016, 08:40 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
So..

I main Hanzo (more accurate to say i chose him to get good at first ), and a few things ive noticed, read up on. With the caveat that im on Xbone,
Let me stop you right there fam, because they're utterly different games depending on if you're PC or Plebsole. (Sorry )

Hanzo on PC needs absolutely fucking zero buffs, if anything his damage (especially given his Arrow's hitbox) needs a nerf. I can't speak for Console.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
You even gave us the "Psh, nothing personal, kid" line at the end.
You've got it wrong fam, he said that because, as I recall, either he or I had literally just killed people with Reaper during the closing stages/final push. People keep forgetting that "Nothing personal, kid" is Reaper's iconic line.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:00 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
Nah man, that was me. And it wasn't even really trashing, it was one douchy snark aimed at you because frankly, you were being pretty damn salty because...that one time, Hanzo snuck behind you, kinda fucked up and used an ability to kill you? I mean, really?
Hanzo players exclusively. Considering the MASSIVE hitbox Hanzo's arrows provide, coupled with range, coupled with two shots missing, it wasn't salt it was comedic. If the guy just headshotted me because of my poor situational awareness from behind then I wouldn't have given a damn. I get salty when Hanzo players kill me from behind a wall, when they get a 'headshot' that strikes my shoulder, when I die in one hit to the foot as Mercy.

Quote:
You even gave us the "Psh, nothing personal, kid" line at the end.
I say that literally every game a Reaper gets PotG, enemy, our team, Hammerbrew, whoever.

Quote:
I hate playing Lucio. It just doesn't feel like you're doing much when you play him.
Agreed. Even if I get a Gold or a commendation because of healing, it still doesn't feel satisfying. He may be the 'better' healer (at least on Attack) but with his Ult being fire and forget even when used at the right moment, it just feels... meh.

Last edited by Drusus; 07-04-2016 at 09:12 AM..
Old 07-04-2016, 09:04 AM

Eternal

Quote:
You've got it wrong fam, he said that because, as I recall, either he or I had literally just killed people with Reaper during the closing stages/final push. People keep forgetting that "Nothing personal, kid" is Reaper's iconic line.
Eh, fair enough. Let's just move on, no point in dwelling on that one time both teams were being dicks to eachother.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:12 AM

Elune

Quote:
Hanzo on PC needs absolutely fucking zero buffs, if anything his damage (especially given his Arrow's hitbox) needs a nerf. I can't speak for Console.
This.

The problem is that there's balancing for competitive and there's balancing for... everybody else. The competitive players will ALWAYS find an excuse to use one set of characters over another. That doesn't mean that hero is weak, it just means that the competitive circle jerk prefers X over Y. Hanzo's problem is that he's technically speaking a weaker Widowmaker without a scope. In competitive games - where players can actually aim worth a toss get far - this obviously makes her superior.

In the vast majority of games however, Hanzo is still such a highly chosen character because he's low risk, high reward. Most play him because he's infuriatingly rewarding for very, very little effort required. Most just lean out of cover and spam arrows/Scattershot in the enemy's general direction, because eventually some of them will connect with a high chance of finishing off characters like Zeyatta and Mercy if they've taken so much as a scratch. If I die to Hanzo it's very, very, rarely because the other player actually set up a proper kill with the intent to specifically pick me off. Instead they just spammed arrows and I so happened to wander into one (or in the vicinity of one considering how the hitboxes work).

The problem is that pure kills alone don't really help the team. He IS powerful but in a competitive environment where people care about pushing the actual objective over MUH K/D he's not nearly as powerful as Widowmaker's wall hack and team fighting potential. What Hanzo needs is a rework, NOT a straight up buff. The hitboxes need fixing, the damage needs reducing for the rest of the body but yes, he needs to get something else in return to make him more capable to help the team. Outside of the highest tiers however he's fine, it's just Widowmaker is much better in the hands of a good player.

Last edited by Drusus; 07-04-2016 at 09:18 AM..
Old 07-04-2016, 09:52 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
This.

The problem is that there's balancing for competitive and there's balancing for... everybody else. The competitive players will ALWAYS find an excuse to use one set of characters over another. That doesn't mean that hero is weak, it just means that the competitive circle jerk prefers X over Y. Hanzo's problem is that he's technically speaking a weaker Widowmaker without a scope. In competitive games - where players can actually aim worth a toss get far - this obviously makes her superior.

In the vast majority of games however, Hanzo is still such a highly chosen character because he's low risk, high reward. Most play him because he's infuriatingly rewarding for very, very little effort required. Most just lean out of cover and spam arrows/Scattershot in the enemy's general direction, because eventually some of them will connect with a high chance of finishing off characters like Zeyatta and Mercy if they've taken so much as a scratch. If I die to Hanzo it's very, very, rarely because the other player actually set up a proper kill with the intent to specifically pick me off. Instead they just spammed arrows and I so happened to wander into one (or in the vicinity of one considering how the hitboxes work).

The problem is that pure kills alone don't really help the team. He IS powerful but in a competitive environment where people care about pushing the actual objective over MUH K/D he's not nearly as powerful as Widowmaker's wall hack and team fighting potential. What Hanzo needs is a rework, NOT a straight up buff. The hitboxes need fixing, the damage needs reducing for the rest of the body but yes, he needs to get something else in return to make him more capable to help the team. Outside of the highest tiers however he's fine, it's just Widowmaker is much better in the hands of a good player.
All of this.

If we're talking Comp, there is literally no reason to ever play Hanzo. Ever. A -good- Widowmaker is a game changer; Hanzo isn't.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:45 PM

Eternal

Quote:
This.

I agree, however like you said competetive players will always find a reason why they prefer one character over the other. Reworking Hanzo could risk making him too good so that he in turn eclipses Widowmaker as the go to Sniper in the competive scene. Overwatch thrives on having a cast of characters that differ heavily from eachother even when they perform the same role and I think it's really hard to balance it to such a degree that every character has the same viability in competetive mode without taking away their uniqueness and making them too samey.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:50 PM

World Builder

Where the fuck is Sombra?

EDIT:

Didn't feel like editing the fanart thread AGAIN

Source: http://wigmund.tumblr.com/post/14697...d-he-is-healed

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; 07-05-2016 at 10:43 PM..
Old 07-06-2016, 06:33 AM

Elune

Old 07-12-2016, 04:34 AM

Elune

Whats the deal with the D.va doritos and mountain dew meme?
Old 07-12-2016, 05:11 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post
Whats the deal with the D.va doritos and mountain dew meme?
Because she's a gamer girl and the 'gaming fuel' is Doritos and Mountain Dew.

Frankly I'm sick of it already.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:35 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

I want a whole source filmmaker movie about this:

Old 07-13-2016, 04:03 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:

Nah it's fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:02 PM

Elune

Old 07-14-2016, 05:12 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

God damn you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:25 PM

Elune

Old 07-14-2016, 11:50 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

It's hard for me to hit anything with Hanzo, though I probably just haven't used him enough.

I did get MVP with Soldier: 76 yesterday!

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 07-14-2016, 11:55 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
It's hard for me to hit anything with Hanzo, though I probably just haven't used him enough.

I did get MVP with Soldier: 76 yesterday!
Are you self-inserting yourself into Hanzo?
Old 07-15-2016, 12:01 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Are you self-inserting yourself into Hanzo?
I can barely play Hanzo.

I'm best with relatively simple characters like Soldier: 76 and Bastion, though I can also do pretty well with Torbjorn, McCree, and D.Va. There are still a lot of characters I haven't tried, though.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 07-15-2016, 12:22 AM

Elune

Quote:

Shut your filthy mouth.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:43 AM

Elune

An inactive lifestyle and eating mostly mountain dew/Doritos sounds like a terrible idea.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:30 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Eating anything that contains cheese sounds like a terrible idea.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:43 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
An inactive lifestyle and eating mostly mountain dew/Doritos sounds like a terrible idea.
It'd be pretty hard to maintain a figure like D.Va's with such a diet.

Her idol manager or whatever probably just has her drinking some kind of diet solution that's colored to look like Mountain Dew.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:46 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
It'd be pretty hard to maintain a figure like D.Va's with such a diet.

Her idol manager or whatever probably just has her drinking some kind of diet solution that's colored to look like Mountain Dew.
It's the future so maybe mountain dew and doritos are healthy now.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/

Tags
blizzard tf2, meme