Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

View Poll Results: Which of these allied race combos would you prefer?
Vrykul (A)/MU Clans (H) 11 28.95%
Kul Tirans (A)/MU Clans (H) 16 42.11%
Kul Tirans (A)/AU Clans (H) 9 23.68%
Vrykul (A)/AU Clans (H) 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2009, 03:09 PM

Eternal

Default Sub-Races

So what if we dont get real races with new capitals and starting zones etc and get "sub-races" instead such as Mag'har, Taunka, High Elves and Furbolg?

For instance, Taunka could start in Mulgore and share Orgrimmar. High Elves in Elwynn. Furbolgs in Darnassus and Mag'har in Durotar.

What do you think?
Im neutral about it. On one side they wouldnt need to bother to create a large starting zone etc but on the other side it doesnt really make sense to me and if there would be new races then I think Blizzard should bother to do new unique races.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:12 PM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Won't happen. Especially not without capitals (Gnomes and Trolls got screwed by being added last to the game, and thus Blizzard ran out of time to give them a proper starting area).
Old 07-09-2009, 03:17 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

I had an idea about sub-races once. Mine amounted basically to them being minor re-skins or re-models of the existing races.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:13 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthat View Post
I had an idea about sub-races once. Mine amounted basically to them being minor re-skins or re-models of the existing races.
Exactly. Basically, just give more skin options if anything. That way if you really simply must roleplay your Blood Elf as a High Elf, your Darkspear Troll as a green jungle troll, or your Dwarf as a Dark Iron then you have the option.

Giving a whole new model as a “sub-race” is not a sub-race at all, its an entirely new one.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:31 PM

Arch-Druid

I'm pretty much in agreement with Xar and Gurt. It would be easier (and make more sense) just to make the sub-races a model off-shot of the originals rather than make them entire races in their own right.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:18 PM

Hippogryph Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil View Post
That way if you really simply must roleplay your Blood Elf as a High Elf
Old 07-09-2009, 07:50 PM

Eternal

Thats pretty much how the idea is. They have the exact same classes etc.

Though some races like Furbolgs would need new models. It would be unfair if only some races got sub-races.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:29 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default Playable subraces: a step further on customization

There are a lot of cool races that won't ever become playable for a simple reason: they are too similar to the already playable ones, or they can't build themselves a proper home.

What if, instead of "new races", we got "new subraces"?. First of all, what's a playable subrace? It's basically a new race that, instead of getting its own capital and storyline, sticks to an already playable one's. This would make them mainly aesthetic, and would let Blizzard introduce new races without having to design all their background. Just create the model and drop it in-game.

Of course, the new subraces should have something in common with the already existing ones. You can't go an drop, I don't know, Furbolgs in Stormwind. It doesn't make sense without a story, and subraces aren't supposed to need one.

Let's give some examples:

New models:
-Draenei -> Broken
-Undead human/Blood elf -> Undead elf
-Night elf -> Furbolg
-? -> Ogre

New skins:
-Mountain dwarf -> Wildhammer dwarf
-Orc -> Mag'Har
-Jungle troll -> Forest troll
-Gnome -> Leper gnome

Most of them aren't viable, but we have some that would fit fine, like the broken and the undead elf. For example:

-Broken would start in Exodar, with the same classes as the draenei, removing the holy ones and adding rogues.
-Undead elves would start in Undercity or Silvermoon, and have the same classes as the undead humans/blood elves without paladin.

Other subraces are different only for the skin, like the Mag'har. They'd just have to allow it to be selected by players.

Opinions?

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 01-19-2010, 10:10 AM

Sentinel Queen

This seems like a good idea with the exception of the Furbolgs. I wouldn't really call them a subrace, they aren't biologically related to the Night Elves or a part of their society.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:16 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peger View Post
This seems like a good idea with the exception of the Furbolgs. I wouldn't really call them a subrace, they aren't biologically related to the Night Elves or a part of their society.
Nah, they were just an example. I put them there because a lot of people wants them and ogres. If we consider them tied enough to one of the playable races, they could be attached to them.

I would mostly focus on the more logic decisions: there are already broken npcs at the Exodar, and the forsaken have a good pack of dark rangers.

Glad you like the idea .

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 01-19-2010, 11:45 AM

Demon Hunter

Instead of Heroic Classes, I think these would work great as Heroic Races.

Once you reach the point in the game where you've been sufficiently exposed to the race (like lvl 67 or so for the Broken and Mag'har) you get the choice of rolling a new toon using those skins. Or it could be quest-related or rep-related, like achieving exalted with the mag'har, telaar, timbermaw, tranquillien, so on gives you the playable mag'har, broken, furbolg, and undead elf.

Something to make the new skins special, but requiring enough commitment on the part of the main that by the time they unlock the skins, they'll be sufficiently committed to their original toon that we wouldn't be flooded by wildhammers and furbolg and ogres.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:17 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsider View Post
Instead of Heroic Classes, I think these would work great as Heroic Races.

Once you reach the point in the game where you've been sufficiently exposed to the race (like lvl 67 or so for the Broken and Mag'har) you get the choice of rolling a new toon using those skins. Or it could be quest-related or rep-related, like achieving exalted with the mag'har, telaar, timbermaw, tranquillien, so on gives you the playable mag'har, broken, furbolg, and undead elf.

Something to make the new skins special, but requiring enough commitment on the part of the main that by the time they unlock the skins, they'll be sufficiently committed to their original toon that we wouldn't be flooded by wildhammers and furbolg and ogres.
Nah, requirements of that type aren't fair for the players. If they add something special to them, it should be their starting level and/or a limit of characters of the race.

Also, skins /= models. Broken and undead elves (undead elves should) have different models from their partner races'. Mag'Har and Wildhammer dwarves don't, it's just a skin.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:32 AM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Default Thought on Subraces

From what I gather, the devs are putting serious thought toward allowing us to play subraces, particularly of the races that are having their models revamped, to which I say awesome.

However, while dwarves, orcs, trolls, and tauren, and to a lesser extent gnomes, have excellent options for this, humans, night elves, draenei, blood elves and undead do not have many obvious options for these....... or do they.

I'm starting with my favorite, Blood Elves for the reason that they are key to a possible solution for another race (I know your thoughts blood elf fans: "subrace? why mess with perfect?"). Blood elves do actually have a sub-section that, if made playable in the right way, many would enjoy: High Elves. However, given the lore, a splashing blue eyes on to the model wouldn't be enough, given the lore on the politics of said race. So, might I suggest blood elves give up the model of their high elven subrace (yes, I know it's not a separate race, but for functional purposes I'm going to call it that) to either humans or night elves (leaning toward the latter really). They would have the blue eyed high elf model, but they would have the class options of the race they are going to (I'd give their druid lynx models although I'm not sure how I'd modify the bear). In return, I propose they get highborne night elves as their subsection (lore being that some of the highborne are dissatisfied with life in under the rule of the druids and as such have moved in with their more like minded Sin'dorei kin), again, using blood elven class options instead of night elven (which probably puts warlocks that much closer to actually fulfilling the role they've poached: the demon hunter).

This does not much help undead, humans (unless we give them the high elf model, but I digress), or draenei. I doubt anyone would accept this sort of solution for humans and undead. Draenei could give some horde race that has access to warlocks eredar, but I have no idea what they'd get in return. The reason I'm not counting broken right now, despite the fact that I like broken more than regular draenei, is that broken are a completely different models and lorewise don't have the same lore options as normal draenei.

Alternatively if we don't want subraces to cross factions, blood elves could give their revamped subrace to the undead in the form of playable darkfallen (if you can't tell, I'm making this up as I go), although I'm not sure what they'd get in return. The wretched model does use the undead skeleton, so that could be a start but that just means we get more undead elves, and darkfallen look better and are cooler. Night Elves could give their subrace option to Worgen (or would that be the other way around?). Still leaves humans, night elves, and draenei in the cold.

How would you give these races subraces?
Old 01-11-2014, 07:57 AM

Banished

I only want Sub-races that make sense in-lore, aren't forced in to satisfy silly demands, and fit the game itself.

Wildhammer/Dark Iron Dwarfs? Fine.
Mag'har Orcs? Fine.
Taunka for the Tauren? Fine. (Although there's no female model)

There's not many others I can think of that work given the above mentioned criteria.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:12 AM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
I only want Sub-races that make sense in-lore, aren't forced in to satisfy silly demands, and fit the game itself.

Wildhammer/Dark Iron Dwarfs? Fine.
Mag'har Orcs? Fine.
Taunka for the Tauren? Fine. (Although there's no female model)

There's not many others I can think of that work given the above mentioned criteria.
An understandable viewpoint. Additionally, it probably doesn't cause much divergence for these subraces during character creation.

Maghar, Dragonmaw/Blackrock and Dark Iron-just additional skin tones.

Still, I like to throw around ideas.

In the meantime, Darkfallen/undead elves isn't too much of a strech is it? It would be somewhat more difficult in character creation I suppose.

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 01-11-2014 at 08:21 AM..
Old 01-11-2014, 08:22 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

If it's just textures/skins, I really only see subraces for dwarves (DI, WH, frost and maybe earthen), orcs (Mag'har and Dragonmaw/Blackrock), tauren (Grimtotem) and maybe blood elves (Darkfallen).

Now, if divergences like the pandaren tail or even bigger are allowed, I'm sure we can come up with something for everyone. I mean, even Vrykul would be possible. They're not that different from humans, if it comes down to it.

Edit:
Forgot trolls in the first category... How foolish of me.

Last edited by Nazja; 01-11-2014 at 09:24 AM..
Old 01-11-2014, 08:36 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
tauren (Grimtotem)
Tauren already have a Black fur colour that works for them.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:53 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
That's what I'm hoping for too, not forcing any in just cause some races get an option.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:42 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
However, while dwarves, orcs, trolls, and tauren, and to a lesser extent gnomes, have excellent options for this, humans, night elves, draenei, blood elves and undead do not have many obvious options for these....... or do they.
Human subraces:
White
Black
Tirasian
Old 01-13-2014, 09:50 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Human subraces:
White
Black
Tirasian
Ok, aside from the probably not so politically correct idea on black, what is a Tirassian human like?
Old 01-13-2014, 09:56 AM

Elune

The blood elf subrace can be high elf and felblood elves.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:06 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
No.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 01-13-2014, 10:09 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
The firs one is not a subrace. The second one would probably not work because of the incompatibility with paladins and priests.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:10 PM

Eternal

Default Sub-Races: Drunken Xpac Ideas

So there's been some hulabaloo about the prospect of subraces on the battle.net forums, which is to say some fans ask for them and the Blues say it's an idea they've knocked around some. I've always been fond of the idea, and have come up with some ideas and starting experiences for each.

Now, in my fantasy where this has been implemented, subraces are only cosmetically different from their baseline race. They share all stats and racial abilities. This was sort of a guide when choosing the sub-races, because I figured if the racial bonuses no longer made sense, then the race constituted it's own, main race. I think sub-races should have to be unlocked; ideally through a specific questline, though realistically it would probably just be "have a character past level 80" or whatever. I give each of the original races 2 subs, and each expansion race 1. Some are more thought out than others. Let me know what you think.

Humans - humans are a bit tough, as they don't really have any subraces. I thought vrykul might be an interesting idea but they're too big to be practical and are really their own thing. So this is what I came up with:
Half-Elves - A small group of half-elves following Finnall Goldensword attempted to flee the Scourge-infested Lordaeron after the rise of the Forsaken, only to be captured by the Bloodsail Buccaneers and made into galley slaves. After years of slavery, Finnall and the player stage a daring escape, and row ashore to Westfall after setting their captors ship ablaze. They take refuge with the humans and then join them in repelling the pirates.
Trappers - The starting quests recount the corruption of Silverbrook and the player plays a character who rejects the Wolfcult, repels an assassination attempt, and flees into the Grizzly Hills, where they are harried by the Scourge, the Horde, and the Wolfcult. They are eventually rescued by Alliance agents battling the Wolfcult, and join them in killing Prince Theraldis. Trappers are essentially human, I realize, so will have access to facepaint, unique hairstyles and ornamentation that makes them appear more rugged and distinct. Now, in my opinion, the Trappers are the worst idea on this list. Not only are they just, at the end of the day, regular humans, no one's going to be "Oh sweet! Finally we get to play as trappers!" But short of inventing a new human subrace (like the Glaboglocks) this is the best I could come up with.
Dwarves - the dwarves have, frankly, too many related races making it difficult to choose, but ultimately I went with the most obvious choices, only because I don't actually care as much what's going on with the frostborn, iron dwarves, earthen, or whatever new dwarf race they announce next.
Dark Iron Dwarves - The player is a covert agent sent by Moira to infiltrate Shadowforge, where it is revealed her authority is not as steadfast as she might have the rest of the Alliance believe. Angerforge's successor and the High Priestess of Thaurissan remain loyal to Ragnaros and have turned much of the city against Moira. Though the players are successful in killing the leaders, they are chased out of Shadowforge by a fire elemental general, who then takes over the city, possibly heralding a redux of Blackrock Depths.
Wildhammer - the Wildhammers rejoin the Alliance in the aftermath of the events in the Twilight Highlands, and the player is part of an expedition attempting to resettle Grim Batol with aid from the Alliance. However, their leader and many of their fellows start going insane, and it becomes clear the curse of Grim Batol still lingers. The player spends most of the starting area fleeing Grim Batol, with a final boss being the Shade of Modgud, who has been promised resurrection by the Old Gods if she can facilitate their release.
Night Elves - Another tough one. The Highborne are an option, but have the same problem of lacking distinction, and the existing Highborne have just rejoined the main race anyway. I considered the possibility of using high elves as a night elf subrace, but high elves are too different and shouldn't be able to shadowmeld or have wisp form. Now, seeing what I select below, I can see people scoffing that my selections are further separated from the night elves than high elves are, and... well, I don't really have an argument for that.
Satyrs - a tribe of satyrs displaced by the cataclysm devise an elaborate scheme to guide and accelerate the corruption of Teldrassil, with the goal that it will eventually expel the night elves and provide a new home for the satyrs. They nearly succeed, but as they enact the final step of their ritual, their leader reveals himself to be an eredar, who plans on using Teldrassil as a base of operations for a new Legion offensive. The satyrs reject the authority of the Legion and join the Sentinels in battling the eredar and banishing him back to the Nether. However, their ritual has tied the life-forces of the satyrs to Teldrassil, and the night elves can't kill them without risking the tree. The night elves begrudgingly ally with the satyrs, but refuse to allow them to visit Teldrassil.
Children of Cenarius - the cataclysm wreaks havoc on the Barrow-Deeps, where a group of dryads and keepers have been living undisturbed for thousands of years. The few survivors find themselves beset by elemental spirits and black dragons, even after they find their way out of the mostly collapsed tunnels below Hyjal. The dragons eventually kill the keeper who leads the group, and use his corpse to power a spell that allows them to accelerate the growth of the twilight dragons (so THAT's how they did it). The remaining dryads and keepers are offered sanctuary in Darnassus and accept.
Gnomes - Pretty straightforward, I think. I resisted the urge to write a history for sand gnomes.
Leper Gnomes - the player starts out as an insane irradiated gnome still within the depths of Gnomeregan. Through the starting experience, they are eventually captured by Doc Cogspins forces who believe they have found a cure. This proves to be half-right, as they can partially restore their sanity and stop the damage from progressing, but cant repair the cosmetic damage. Despondent and furious, the leper gnomes turn on Thermaplugg, and (finally) finish him off for good.
Mechagnomes - gnomes de-cursed and brainwashed by Mechazod arrive at Ulduar, where they are greeted by Mimiron and brought into his service. They serve as soldiers fighting against the raid from Wrath. Fun idea: a significant battle is an NPC version of the highest level characters from the player's account. After Mimiron is freed, he undoes Mechazod's brainwashing, giving the mechagnomes back their free will, but can't reverse de-curse (it's been too long or something). The mechagnomes assist the raid by blocking reinforcements trying to defend Yogg-Saron during that encounter, then rejoin their kinsmen in the Alliance.
Draenei - Pretty obvious to me.
Broken - the Ashtongue are attacked by the Council Black Harvest and driven from the Temple of Karabor. Akama rallies his troops and they attempt to retake it, battling their way through the Black Harvest's demonic minions and finally confronting Kanrethad, only to find a warlock standing over his corpse and teleporting away just as the Ashtongue arrive. Akama deduces that they have returned to Azeroth, but stole the power of the Shrine of Lost Souls from Kanrethad. The player is sent to Azeroth to find the warlock (which, I guess, they never get around to).
Worgen - Kind of another tough call, as the worgen are essentially already a sub-race of human. But meh.
Nightbane Worgen - accidentally summoned by Jitters, the Nightbane worgen are the original devotees of Goldrinn who lost themselves to their animal side thousands of years ago. Their second form is night elven. Led by Nefaru, who is in fact a night elf priestess of Goldrinn, they stave off a host of invaders before deciding to abandon Roland's Doom. Eventually, it is revealed that the invaders are led by Belysra Starbreeze and Krennan Aranis, who capture the Nightbane and administer the elixir that frees their minds. The process is interrupted by the Dark Riders, who seem to be under the impression Belysra still has the Scythe of Elune. In doing so they destroy what remains of Aranis' elixir and free Nefaru. After the Dark Riders are dealt with, Nefaru turns on the redeemed Nightbane, and the player reluctantly kills her.
Orcs - A similar problem to the dwarves. There's a wide variety of potential orc subraces to choose from, and frankly, most are worth exploring. I also have this idea of bringing Mag'har orcs from the past-Draenor, but without details from the expansion I can't say how that might work. In the meantime:
Fel Orcs - The fel orcs on Outland are slipping into the same lethargy that the regular orcs experienced following Warcraft II. The remaining fel orcs have been all but defeated throughout the continent, desperately holding Hellfire Citadel. In the starting experience, the holdouts are driven from the Citadel by Shatar forces, and flee into the wastes. They are rallied by, why not, Tagar Spineeater, who convinces them to journey through the Dark Portal and find the orcs who resisted this before. The orcs capture the fel orcs, bring them to Orgrimmar, and condemn them as prisoners of war. After escaping their bonds, they attempt to flee Orgrimmar but are cornered. Tagar offers himself; he drank the blood of Mannoroth and his crimes are not theirs. He orders the players to stands down and gives himself up to be executed. Tagar's sacrifice stirs Vol'jin, who offers the remaining fel orcs amnesty. They get help with their magic addiction from the blood elves.
Mok'Nathal - The experience begins with the player kneeling at the deathbed of their friend, mentor, and possibly father, Gorsh Talonfang. He explains that you have adventured across this strange land for your whole life, and he only hopes he prepared you enough for the trials you are sure to face, before dying of old age. The player then strikes on out on their own, with Gorshs eagle companion for company. After some cool adventures, the player is soon captured by Sentinels who kill the eagle. Horde forces free the player and they join forces.
Tauren - Well the tauren have only two subraces in the lore right now, so might as well roll with it. I considered Grimtotem tauren instead of Yangol, but... didn't do it.
Taunka - the starting experience begins with the attack on Icemist Village, where the player is eventually overwhelmed by huge numbers of undead nerubians. They are taken into the depths of Azjol-Nerub, where they are to be fed to the spiderlings. The taunka leader devises a means of escape by facilitating the release of Hadronox, who has also been captured. The rest of the starting experience involves their escape from Azjol-Nerub, eventually surfacing near Taunka'lo, where they are told of the taunka's alliance with the Horde, and are asked for their allegiance.
Yaungol - the Ordon have been trapped on the Timeless Isle for what seems to be an eternity, as time has no meaning there. When adventurers from Pandaria arrive on the Isle, a young(ish) yaungol hunter believes the time of their escape may be upon them. He is executed for treason by the High Priest of Ordos, who claims that the Timeless Isle is a bastion of purity in an otherwise corrupt world. After the death of Ordos, however, the player and their allies flee the Ordon Sanctuary and battle their way to the shores, where they ride giant turtles to the Jade Forest. There, they are immediately captured by the Forest Hozen, who plan to eat them. They are saved by the merciful Sunwalker Dezco, who, upon hearing their plight, offers them the Sanctuary of Thunder Bluff.
Forsaken - Now, the Forsaken also represent a "too many possibilities" challenge because really, you could add undead versions of any race to them. Conversely, there's many types of undead. But banshees, geists, liches, and abominations all seem too class-specific. Among the considerations were Amani mummies, vargul and/or kvaldir, Rot Hide gnolls, and probably some others I forgot. I gave serious consideration to the Darkfallen as well, but they seem too powerful and far gone. I went with:
Skeletons - Gunter Arcanus and Annhylde the Caller lead an expedition into ancient catacombs beneath the Arathi Highlands - the burial grounds of the early human kings, where they begin reassembling and reanimating the skeletons there. However some still believe they are alive, and rebel, killing Annhylde and driving Arcanus and skeletons who do not suffer this delusion (including the player) from the catacombs. The starting experience ends with the player helping Arcanus reanimate the skeleton of King Thoradin, who is able to command the rebels to join the Forsaken with him.
Unyielding - the ghosts of Expedition Armoury allied with the Forsaken years ago. In the opening, they are raided by Danath and the Armoury is destroyed. The Unyielding journey to Azeroth to seek aid from the Forsaken. The Unyielding right now appear just as transluscent player models but if they were given the attention, the opportunity to come up with some really strange, creepy ghosts could also add some diversity to the current NPC lineup. I mean imagine if you could make a character that looked like this.
Troll - Holy another million options. We got ice, Zandalari, Atal'ai, dire, sand, lite, maxx, surfer... it just goes on and on. So I went with one obvious choice and one that was maybe a bit out there.
Forest Trolls - the Revantusk trolls are approached by the Zandalari who attempt to persuade them to join them on their journey to Pandaria. The Revantusk refuse, and the Zandalari sack their village in response. The player character and a handful of survivors attempt to flee the Zandalari hunting them long enough to find their Horde allies, both to seek aid and to warn them.
Dark Trolls - the Shadowtooth tribe has been all but obliterated by the Twilights Hammer when they laid waste to Mount Hyjal. The player joins the Guardians in their fight against the Twilights Hammer, and following Ragnaros defeat, they are invited by Darkspear trolls to seek refuge within the Horde.
Blood Elves - Look guys, I know everyone wants high elves. Seriously, I do too. But as it stands, the high elves belong in the Alliance. I was tempted to give the blood elves a subrace in the Alliance in exchange for getting the broken in the Horde, but really the broken belong in the Alliance too. I could fanangle an excuse to get the high elves in the Horde, but no one wants that, right? I could also give high elves as a "subrace" to the humans, but frankly that seems insulting to high elves. So....
Wretched - imprisoned Wretched are slowly beginning to overcome the debilitating effects of their arcane addiction with the aid of Rommath and other magisters. As their work nears completion, the player is approached by a magister who reveals himself to be a felblood, one of a large network undercover in Silvermoon as part of a stay-behind mission following the events on Quel'danas. He believes now that you've regained your sanity you'll reaffirm your devotion to Kael and he thinks the wretched are the perfect army for the felbloods, and you are the perfect general. You agree to aid him in avenging your king, deposing Silvermoon's traitorous rulers, and attempting to reestablish . But at the last minute, you reveal it was all a ploy to get the felbloods out of hiding. You and the other wretched kill the felblood leader and imprison the rest, and are granted your freedom in return for this service.
Goblin - I guess gilgoblins were an option too, but...
Hobgoblin - the player begins as a regular goblin who has just taken a contract working as a bodyguard for a goblin scientist. The player is tricked into getting alchemical treatments that, over the course of several levels and quests, turns them into a hobgoblin. This makes them much stupider, but after eating raw kaja'mite, the character regains enough of their intellect to regain their class abilities and turn on the goblin who tricked them. The player steals the scientist's notes and journeys to Orgrimmar looking for Hobart Grapplehammer, who they believe can use the notes to reverse the procedure. They are arrested, and Gallywix offers to spare them a prison sentence in exchange for the notes, which he then sells.
Pandaren - .... I have no idea. I was thinking furbolgs, but they're not really pandaren, and the racials don't fit. The pandaren have no subrace, and all the other Pandarian races are too distinct from them except maybe the hozen but I doubt they'd be very popular. So, yeah. Maybe just forego the pandaren?
Old 01-25-2014, 03:24 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

These all sound really doable. Obviously the model work would be kind of difficult, but I really enjoy the idea of different types of undead for example. You imagine an army of the living dead, it's not a bunch of uniform zombies with the same body-frames and similar faces, you imagine lumbering zombies, ghostly apparitions, all working in unison.

Dwarves are obvious. Enjoy those of course. Same with the Broken, Taunka, Gnomes, surprisingly Nightbane Worgen...

Only ones that don't do anything for me are the Humans and Night Elves... they don't really work unfortunately, but I understand the difficulty in figuring something out for them.

Tags
brace yourselves, drunk thread, eredar attaque, lordaeron is coming, races, warcraft, world of warcraft