Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 05-03-2018, 06:41 AM

Chimaera

I don't have a problem with the dialogue itself, from what I've seen, nor with the fact that the human survives instead of the elves - I mean, Shandris survives as well, and it seems to me she's the focus of that particular story.

I think the purpose was to cement that the Alliance is, well, an Alliance, and that all the races see each other as valuable companions. That is good.

That being said, I can see why people would dislike it as propping up humans to the detriment of Night Elves, especially considering Blizzard's record. Perhaps it would be a better idea to use other of the "young" races that not the humans? Maybe a gnome operative like Kelsey Steelspark? It would keep the theme of "young and capable soldier" being in awe of "10,000-year old super competent general", but avoid the human implications...

That being said, it only works if this not degenerates in a contrived romance later.

Last edited by Patrick_C; 05-03-2018 at 06:49 AM..
Old 05-03-2018, 07:10 AM

Arch-Druid

I woke up this morning to see I was in beta. The first thing I did was mog my staff into Aluneth, and I can confirm that talking artifacts still talk to you if you mog into them. My boyfriend didn't abandon me!
Old 05-03-2018, 07:25 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
I am usually with you on most topics Kyalin but I think you are going overboard here. Kishan literally says that he thinks Shandris is better and more valuable than him in every way to which Shandris says he is alright too. They are just affirming respect for each other and it's ok unless they try to have them have some contrived romance.
You're trying to justify it to me in the context of the scenario, and I have already rejected the writers' decision to include the scenario in the first place. They have complete creative freedom to construct a scenario where Shandris would see reason to heap this kind of praise - and I don't like that they did.

I have no problem if they want to make Keeshan a respectable, not-joke character. I have no problem with Night Elves appreciating their human allies. I do have a problem with Night Elves being used for no other reason, when they aren't being shoved into refrigerators, than to prop up a human character - and that's what this entire sequence of events appears to be.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:38 AM

Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
I woke up this morning to see I was in beta. The first thing I did was mog my staff into Aluneth, and I can confirm that talking artifacts still talk to you if you mog into them. My boyfriend didn't abandon me!
Does the spec matter?
Old 05-03-2018, 08:05 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
Does the spec matter?
Unfortunately, yes. As arcane I can't use Fel'melorn or Ebonchill.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:29 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
Unfortunately, yes. As arcane I can't use Fel'melorn or Ebonchill.
That sucks. I see no reason to still restrict the spec. Specially since there'll be times you'll be using a weapon that can't be mogged into the appropriate artifact (Casters will be suffer a lot with this. Holy pallies too).

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 05-03-2018, 11:17 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Shadow Orb

https://i.imgur.com/zkH5ac7.jpg

Face improvement for Void Elf men, finally.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:55 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
I feel like giving me a Beta invite was a bit of a waste but at least it lets me experience the GCD-changes early. I reject them completely, utterly and entirely. I could live with them if they at least let me bound spells into macros but my Thunder Clap / Demo Shout macro will no longer be useable. So instead of giving us new and exciting options they just fuck up the ones we have, and i have no idea what Avatar is doing being baseline for Prot Warriors. I already have carpal tunnel i don't need five new keys to smash every fifteen seconds. Speaking of which, whose idea was it to cut the amount of action bar keys? They're already full as fuck, anyone know if there's a way to return that to normal?
:^)
They gave Prot some baseline utility like Avatar, Shockwave, Rallying Cry and Intimidating Shout.
Because no one ever played Prot in challenging content because it has zero utility.
No worries, no one in LFR will notice you can't run your class on macros anymore.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:17 PM

Priestess of the Moon

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/...eaked-14578823

To my knowledge, there were no major releases in the first quarter of 2018 and yet ATVI is beating expectations by around 44%.

It's hard to say why that jump is happening. But the reason I am including it here is because revenue spikes can indicate subscription losses.

Here is how that works. Under GAAP, revenues tied in to a subscription service are recognized over a service period. This includes box sales, value-added services, and even subscriptions themselves, and this is based on Management's estimate for useful life. Some of the cash is recognized as revenue in the current period. Most ends up in a balance sheet account called "deferred revenue", to be recognized as revenue in later periods.

If you unsubscribe, your service period shrinks to reflect the cancellation date. If you have a cancellation date a month out, therefore, your deferred revenue account must all be recognized in the month you unsubscribed, which causes a spike because otherwise, it would have been based on a service period that could exceed a year depending on the average age of subscriptions.

Thankfully, when the 10Q actually does come out, I will know exactly where to look for the relevant disclosure, and I will be able to compare it against prior periods and expansions.

Time to see if Blizzard's BfA marketing campaign is actually working.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:24 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
Time to see if Blizzard's BfA marketing campaign is actually working.
From MMO-Champion's summary of the earnings report:

-World of Warcraft over-performed versus the prior expansion at this point in time, with higher engagement sequentially and strong community participation with in-game purchases.
-Preorders for the upcoming expansion, Battle for Azeroth, are ahead of plan.

So the marketing definitely seems to be working so far. I imagine that's in a huge part due to the allied races. For all the complaints they see here, it seems like they've been a pretty huge success given how half the discussion around the expansion has been trying to predict future ones or on coverage/datamining of the ones that have been confirmed.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:24 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Blizzard is on point with their marketing game.

The MDI is proof of that.

The way higher amount of logs in Warcraftlogs is proof of that.

The High Elf drama is an even bigger proof of that.

They know what they are doing and what they're saying.

EDIT:

A quick Google Trends comparison from BFA announcement to this day:

https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...ends,FFXIV,GW2

From 03/05/2015 to 03/05/2018:

https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...ends,FFXIV,GW2

Same time period, other terms:

https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...ny,hearthstone

Just don't forget that the overall MMORPG trend is in decline ever since 2010:

https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...e%20RPG,MMORPG

Last edited by Krainz; 05-03-2018 at 08:18 PM..
Old 05-04-2018, 12:46 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
From MMO-Champion's summary of the earnings report:

-World of Warcraft over-performed versus the prior expansion at this point in time, with higher engagement sequentially and strong community participation with in-game purchases.
-Preorders for the upcoming expansion, Battle for Azeroth, are ahead of plan.

So the marketing definitely seems to be working so far. I imagine that's in a huge part due to the allied races. For all the complaints they see here, it seems like they've been a pretty huge success given how half the discussion around the expansion has been trying to predict future ones or on coverage/datamining of the ones that have been confirmed.
It looks like the 10Q actually is out. Time to see what that looks like.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...-8669_110q.htm

As we can see on page 5, revenues are up by 239 MM. $211 of that is due to product sales. $28 of it is due to increases in subscription, licensing, and other revenues. It's notable that the latter category makes up 63% of revenues.

Flipping to page 7, adjustments to net income to reconcile to net cash provided by operating activities relating to deferred revenues is $551 MM. This represents cash already collected that are now being realized as income, I will remind you. That line item increased by $57 MM over the prior period.

The description of their revenue recognition policies appears on 12 through 14. You will find it helpful.

Regarding the new revenue recognition standard. The numbers appearing on this statement are comparable because when you adopt a new standard, you must restate the previous period for comparability. That will make future attempts to compare this 10Q with past data more difficult, however.

Moving further down into the notes, probably the best indication of where we are at appears on page 28 when compared to page 29. Page 28 shows segment net revenues. Note that the totals, 1,326 and 1,132, respectively, tie to segment net revenues on page 29. Revenues for page 29, after taking into account revenues from other segments and that change in deferred revenues brings us to consolidated net revenues of 1,965 - which ties out to total revenues per the income statement.

My point in bringing up these two pages is that segment net revenues are computed with the change in deferred revenues excluded. It also shows us how Blizzard is doing segment-wise, although it's not going to show us much in the way of changed subscriptions.

To summarize before we go forward. On the Income statement, we had a fluctuation of 239MM. 194MM can be attributed to changes in current period income. Of that, we can find 97MM and 60MM attributable to Activision and King, respectively. A little over 80% of the changes therefore are attributable to non-Blizzard sources. Those sources account for 64% of the company's revenues before other segments and the effects of changes in deferred revenues.

This leaves an increase of 37MM before the impact of deferred net revenues that may be attributed to Blizzard specifically, or an increase of 8%. Of that, extrapolating the percentages of revenue represented by product and online sales (which may not necessarily result in an accurate figure for reasons I will later explain), we end up with 33MM of that increase relating to product costs, and 4MM of the increase relating to subscription costs.

For comparison, Activision and King enjoyed revenue increases, measured on the same basis, of 45% and 15%, respectively.

I'm hesitant to say more about the next disclosure because it's not comparative, and it's not in the 2017 first quarter 10Q, but it does show where the changes in deferred revenues come from - and that's a quite useful thing. The biggest thing defeating my presumption that the noted increases in revenue are due to the accelerated realization of deferred revenues appears on page 32. 28MM of the total changes in deferred revenues are coming from Blizzard, and of that amount, none are coming from PCs as a platform. That tells me that Blizzard is not seeing a material net surge in players, nor a net defection, at least through March 31, 2018 - it is as stable as stable can get. This conclusion is explained further on page 42, as follows:

Quote:
The increase [in deferred net revenues recognized as revenue] was partially offset by lower net deferred revenues recognized from Blizzard of $140 million, primarily due to a net deferral of revenues for World of Warcraft, driven by revenues associated with in-game content delivered to customers upon pre-purchase of World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth in the first quarter of 2018 being deferred and recognized over an estimated service period, as compared to net deferred revenues recognized in the prior period from World of Warcraft: Legion, which was released in August 2016.
I would however point out that this is expected. At the beginning of an expansion, especially with a pre-order sale where the intent is to generate cash before the related services are earned, that should create an increase in deferred revenue liability. An increase in deferred net revenue liability is a decrease of the effect of changes in deferred net revenue on income (again, more revenue is being deferred, and that effect is going to relate more to product sales, not subscription sales. As we saw, fluctuations in product sales make up the lion's share of the combined company's increases in revenue - disproportionately so when stacked against the overall revenue distribution between product and subscription/other revenues). It is reasonable and expected that the effects of changes in deferred revenue should decrease, if they don't swing negative.

One other point I will raise for your consideration is the reason offered in the Management's Discussion and Analysis for overall increases in revenue, at least as they relate to Blizzard (see page 44):

Quote:
Higher revenues from World of Warcraft, primarily due to revenues associated with in-game content delivered to customers upon pre-purchase of World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth.
The only content that I can think of that would qualify for revenue recognition at this stage is Allied races. If you can only get them because you pre-ordered, then yes, content related to them is going to be recognized as revenue in the current period. Would I expect that to translate into an 8% increase in realized revenues before the effect of deferred net revenues? At least partially if not primarily, yes.

------------------

In summary, the actual data is nowhere near as clear as I would have been comfortable with to form any sort of conclusion with, and it simply is not possible to disentangle the effects of subscription fluctuations from the effects of revenues related to allied races. What I CAN say is that the Blizzard part of Activision Blizzard contributed the least to the combined company's year over year increase.

As for attempts to compare with prior expansions, that's going to take me a bit longer to work through, especially considering that the new revenue recognition standards will hurt comparability.

Last edited by Kyalin V. Raintree; 05-04-2018 at 12:54 AM..
Old 05-04-2018, 06:15 AM

Arch-Druid

You really need a healthy hobby.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:58 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltongue View Post
You really need a healthy hobby.
I believe it's her job.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:17 AM

Arch-Druid

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ers-Gnome-Lore)

Possible gnome allied race being seeded?

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 05-04-2018, 08:49 AM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ers-Gnome-Lore)

Possible gnome allied race being seeded?
I hope so. It’s got some good potential. Begs 2 questions: what happened to these Gnomes and how would it change them?

Off-hand theories:
Temporal displacement - Time Gnomes, with racials that might stasis lock an enemy (or ally, or the gnome itself). I love Hearth-Stone’s Toki the Time Tinkerer. Wouldn’t mind seeing more of that.

Old God Shenanigans - Faceless Gnomes. Gnomes that look like the Spawn of N’zoth, also from Hearthstone.

Uploaded into the mainframe - we build them new mechagnome bodies. Maybe mecha-Druidic transformers? (I mean with all those new mechanimals they’ve been doing for Gnomish Hunters, why not?)

Something pulled them away from their technological prowess and turned them into Forest Gnomes.

EDIT: quoted this post and the one it’s quoting over in the Peer Allied Race Botany thread. The Mechanical Druid idea is officially stuck in my head now.

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 05-04-2018 at 09:10 AM..
Old 05-04-2018, 10:04 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

I've been worried about this place since the new gnomish architecture hasn't been textured yet and the two other places that used it (a gnome town in Zuldazar that got replaced early one with the Dark Iron camp, and an island expedition map called "Mechagnome Island") both have been removed.

Though if they are being used to seed an allied race (probably mechagnomes) we might finally have the Kul Tiran equivalent to the worst kept secret of the vulpera.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:46 PM

Arch-Druid

Old 05-04-2018, 10:10 PM

Faerie Dragon
Send a message via MSN to Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_C View Post
I don't have a problem with the dialogue itself, from what I've seen, nor with the fact that the human survives instead of the elves - I mean, Shandris survives as well, and it seems to me she's the focus of that particular story.

I think the purpose was to cement that the Alliance is, well, an Alliance, and that all the races see each other as valuable companions. That is good.

That being said, I can see why people would dislike it as propping up humans to the detriment of Night Elves, especially considering Blizzard's record. Perhaps it would be a better idea to use other of the "young" races that not the humans? Maybe a gnome operative like Kelsey Steelspark? It would keep the theme of "young and capable soldier" being in awe of "10,000-year old super competent general", but avoid the human implications...

That being said, it only works if this not degenerates in a contrived romance later.
Because Keeshan is fucking Rambo.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:23 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
And? He’s not the most blatant, and there’s actual development for the guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:05 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
As far as I know he wasn't really originally a Rambo parody when he was first introduced back in vanilla (unlike other characters like Harrison Jones who were designed to be pop-culture references from the get-go), so I wouldn't particularly mind if Blizzard tried to make Keeshan more of an actual character and move away from the Rambo expy he became in Cataclysm.

Previous avatars: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Old 05-05-2018, 01:23 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
So you dislike the character.

What does that have to do with the quality (or lack thereof) of the dialogue?
Old 05-05-2018, 06:30 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltongue View Post
:^)
No worries, no one in LFR will notice you can't run your class on macros anymore.
A'ight, i'll bite.
Explain to me how i'd be a better player by not binding together two abilities that i literally want to use on cooldown in every single fight. Explain how putting two abilities that don't need to be two buttons on two buttons is better gameplay. Thunder Clap and Demoralizing Shout. Go.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:22 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
A'ight, i'll bite.
Explain to me how i'd be a better player by not binding together two abilities that i literally want to use on cooldown in every single fight. Explain how putting two abilities that don't need to be two buttons on two buttons is better gameplay. Thunder Clap and Demoralizing Shout. Go.
You shouldn't be using Demoralizing Shout on cooldown. The ideal way to play is to use it when a minor damage mechanic plays out (you would use your other defensive cooldowns on major damage mechanics).

Unless all you do is LFR, of course.

Last edited by Krainz; 05-05-2018 at 08:39 AM..
Old 05-05-2018, 07:41 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
You shouldn't be using Demoralizing Shout on cooldown. The ideal way to play is to use it when a minor damage mechanic plays out (you would use your other defensive cooldowns on major damage mechanics).
Demo Shout is a nice perk for a pull (and due to it's short cooldown it's available during just about every pull) but it's not going to save your life. It helps your healer but it's not worth saving. That's what you have major cooldowns for. And Ignore Pain. I'm going to let you speculate about what content i'm playing, it's fun.

Tags
alliance whining, azeroth literally dying, battle for azeroth, for the whored, gilgoblins, mop 2.0 sucks, mop sucks, more like cata 2.0 sucks, quilboar bias, world of warcraft