Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > General Blizzard Discussion

Old 10-28-2011, 05:07 AM

Arch-Druid

Default Apology from Mike Morhaime

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...01466?page=1#1

Quote:
Dear members of the Blizzard community,

I have read your feedback and comments about this years BlizzCon, and I have also read the feedback to the apology from Level 90 Elite Tauren Chieftain. Id like to respond to some of your feedback here.

As president of Blizzard, I take full responsibility for everything that occurs at BlizzCon.

It was shortsighted and insensitive to use the video at all, even in censored form. The language used in the original version, including the slurs and use of sexual orientation as an insult, is not acceptable, period. We realize now that having even an edited version at the show was counter to the standards we try to maintain in our forums and in our games. Doing so was an error in judgment, and we regret it.

The bottom line is we deeply apologize for our mistakes and for hurting or offending anyone. We want you to have fun at our events, and we want everyone to feel welcome. Were proud to be part of a huge and diverse community, and I am proud that so many aspects of the community are represented within Blizzard itself.

As a leader of Blizzard, and a member of the band, I truly hope you will accept my humblest apology.

Mike Morhaime
President, Blizzard Entertainment
So hopefully the whole ETC/End Event debate will end now...
Old 10-28-2011, 06:21 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Sad
Old 10-28-2011, 06:24 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

What the hell happened?
Old 10-28-2011, 06:26 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...01466?page=1#1

So hopefully the whole ETC/End Event debate will end now...
Nope, the "Alliance fans" will take a couple of days to crow about their victory before finding something else to moan about.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:31 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

It's pretty pathetic that rabid whiny Alliance fans can't take a joke. It's gotten to the level where Blizzard feels the need to censor themselves and publically apologise so they don't have anymore temper tantrums over stupid shit and will just shut up.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:32 AM

Elune

Wait, the Alliance got up in arms over this? Seriously?
Old 10-28-2011, 06:36 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

That and "Rogues do it from behind" being potentially interpreted as sodomy.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:38 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DedChikn#1567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It's pretty pathetic that rabid whiny Alliance fans can't take a joke. It's gotten to the level where Blizzard feels the need to censor themselves and publically apologise so they don't have anymore temper tantrums over stupid shit and will just shut up.
It's also good business philosophy to not be part of anything that insults your customers.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:39 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
That and "Rogues do it from behind" being potentially interpreted as sodomy.
Wait, what? People got into a tizzy over that song of all bloody things, too? But that... I just...

Old 10-28-2011, 06:39 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded Chikn View Post
It's also good business philosophy to not be part of anything that insults your customers.
There's a point where valid concern turns into useless bitching. Complaining that some guy called the faction you play in a video game "wussy" crosses that line.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:40 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Actually, I didn't hear about this part of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2yvZM1wn04

So yeah, the lead singer of a Metal band swore saying "Fuck the Alliance" and called them "Emo", "I might be a nerd but atleast I'm not fucking Alliance". Probably a bad buisness decision, I'll grant that, still think people are WAY too thin skinned.
-
Old 10-28-2011, 06:42 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
There's a point where valid concern turns into useless bitching. Complaining that some guy called the faction you play in a video game "wussy" crosses that line.
Like it or not there are some people out there that unfortunately associate themselves with a faction, which in a role playing game is semi expected.

And wasn't there more then just this video or am I being misled? I haven't really been keeping up on this since it doesn't pertain to me.
EDIT: There it is.

Thin skinned yes, but justifiable.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:42 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: JulianPatel#1800

This thing went out of the community. Most of the outrage is about the homophobia, not the faction bashing

http://www.journalfen.net/community/...dom/16870.html
Old 10-28-2011, 06:43 AM

Elune

Quote:
Actually, I didn't hear about this part of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2yvZM1wn04

So yeah, the lead singer of a Metal band swore saying "Fuck the Alliance" and called them "Emo", "I might be a nerd but atleast I'm not fucking Alliance". Probably a bad buisness decision, I'll grant that, still think people are WAY too thin skinned.
-
I can guaran-fucking-tee you that everybody bitching about that has said the same thing about someone playing the opposite faction. People are giant pussies now. Getting up in arms over that is pathetic.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:55 AM

Arch-Druid

On the one hand... yeah, I can get why people would be offended. That guy went above and beyond the call of duty of acting like how people view a stereotypical Horde player, and when you consider how large the hair across people's asses is on the faction bias, this is just bad. Plus, y'know, the homophobic remarks and telling people to kill themselves. That's not entirely cool anymore. I also get why people would be mad at Blizzard for showing that video and giving the impression that they support that kind of behavior.

On the other hand... it IS getting a bit ridiculous with just how quick people are to jump up and cry foul over everything.

But seriously, if people bitched about "Rogues Do It From Behind", I call shenanigans on humanity.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:56 AM

Arch-Druid

They are clearly apologizing for the language and homophobic attitude of the moron in the video and not his alliance bashing.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:58 AM

Elune

I'm sorry, but all these "problems" would go away if some people could tell the difference between reality and fantasy. If you've gotten so attached to a game that hearing someone trash-talk your preferred faction sets you off on such a tizzy, you should hang up the keyboard and stop huffing paint.

As far as the "homophobic slurs" go, get the fuck over it. They're just words. They only have the power you give them.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:05 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon View Post
They are clearly apologizing for the language and homophobic attitude of the moron in the video and not his alliance bashing.
Its ambigious really exactly what he is sorry for.

If hes sorry because they feel that in reflection the type of language used was inappropriate for the event, then I would agree that there might be a case to argue there with the regards to if really was appropriate.

If hes apologizing because some people are offended that some dude insulted a fictional faction in a video game, then I demand an apology for this apology and must ask Mr. Morhaime where he put his balls.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:07 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Quote:
As far as the "homophobic slurs" go, get the fuck over it. They're just words. They only have the power you give them.
I fully agree with that, I mean, a death metal singer using "fuck", "fag", "emo" and "pussy" to describe a portion of your player base at a big convention. I get it... bad buisness call... but the people losing their collective shit over it in my opinion, begging for CMs (two replied) and then an official apologie from the president of the company. Theres a ton of these whiney people saying "thats not enough". What? You want them to go back in time and prevent the mean words from hurting you?

Abhor the use of fag and what not myself. I do find it offensive , but at the end of the day it's just a word.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:10 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post

If hes sorry because they feel that in reflection the type of language used was inappropriate for the event, then I would agree that there might be a case to argue there with the regards to if really was appropriate.

If hes apologizing because some people are offended that some dude insulted a fictional faction in a video game, then I demand an apology for this apology and must ask Mr. Morhaime where he put his balls.
"It was shortsighted and insensitive to use the video at all, even in censored form. The language used in the original version, including the slurs and use of sexual orientation as an insult, is not acceptable, period."

How is that ambiguous?
Old 10-28-2011, 07:13 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post

We're sorry.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:24 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

All things considered this Blizzcon they catered to making the Alliance "feel better" far more than in the past I thought. Bleeps and Bloops of censored words in an attempt to get a crowd riled up having the dishartening effect it did for some is unfortunate. But at the end of the day this is a "grown up" game about war, bloodshed, racism and violence. Largely the getting tied emotionally to a faction outside of simple jest is unhealthy, you will get your feelings hurt. I get Blizzards intent, I get their near sightedness about this, and I get the reaction and fall out. I just think it's all very silly...
Old 10-28-2011, 07:26 AM

Elune

Old 10-28-2011, 07:33 AM

Lord of Time

Quote:
Hahaha, you beat me to it.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:39 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

I guess this goes towards Blizzard in the future tiptoeing around their vocal playerbases sensitivities in the future. Perhaps next Blizzcon they will plead "CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!" and avoid talking about the Alliance or Horde at all. I think for much of Blizzard they don't EXPECT people to take peoples faction flag waving seriously. They think its fun, they don't mind poking at it, but they forget some of these folks have irrational ties to their faction. I don't think anyone would ever expect people to be attached to shit they make up and to some extent it must surprise the fuck out of them. To the vast majority it's just a game like anything else. Theres ALWAYS going to be those unexpected fans who utter death threats to creators because their favorite character died on a show, or things didn't turn out like they did in their fanfiction.

My stance on this is as it has been before, extreme fandom on an emotional level is unhealthy. Because you made a video character on the blue team and there was an angry censored death metal singer on a screen calling you names, don't take it personally... its just a game. That being said showing a "fan" on the screen losing his shit in a similar manner isn't a wise course of action either. It was a dumb move, did it need all the apologies, no, should Blizzard likely not encourage factionist dumbasses, yes. I'm not sure that their intention was "actual" hurt, more just playful ribbing, as stupid as it may have been. People got offended on an expected level regardless...

So what this boils down too is in the future Blizzard is likely going to either say "fuck those whiney dipshits, we will call them whatever the fuck we want." or they will say "dude, you can't mention the Alliance or the Horde at Blizzcon, people will be mad!". Neither solution is good and the situation is lame to start with. I wish these people would just take the formal CEO apologie (meant or not) and just get on with their sad little lives.

Blizzard is likely going to have to be careful with their factionist divide (that they have taken efforts to instill), I wonder if this will cause them to realise it's just not fun for some (crazy) people who take things way too personally. What started off as a playful game of tag in the playground capture the flag has now devolved into name calling, hair pulling and tattle telling. Thats all there is to it...

Last edited by Sonneillon; 10-28-2011 at 07:47 AM..