Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Site News

Old 01-25-2008, 02:21 PM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Default WotLK Bestiary Online!

Finally, after quite awhile of light Wrath of the Lich King updates, we have something interesting - a Bestiary. Only two entries right now, but it lists a few more that look to be upcoming in the future. Go check it out.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:19 PM

Arch-Druid

We will finally get to see the Magnataurs from the RPG book. Would be interesting to find out their origins.

The Darkfallen .... are those gonna be faceless ones or revenants? Curious. Looking forward to find out more.

Flesh Giant? Hmm ... Scourge or a hint we will see more of Ethereals and their flesh eaters.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:29 PM

Keeper of Lore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medievaldragon View Post
We will finally get to see the Magnataurs from the RPG book. Would be interesting to find out their origins.

The Darkfallen .... are those gonna be faceless ones or revenants? Curious. Looking forward to find out more.

Flesh Giant? Hmm ... Scourge or a hint we will see more of Ethereals and their flesh eaters.
You know Magnataurs are in War 3, right?
Old 01-25-2008, 06:31 PM

Eternal

Unhappy

and in... dota
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:21 PM

Ranger

Invisibility

ok so in WoTLK we'll see Magnataurs, which are like..half-man/half woolymammoth? I've never read the rpg so I'm based on what I've seen in WoW Wiki.
We'll see Tuskarr, whcih are half-man/half-walrus. Hopefully that'll be a faction.
Ice Trolls, I hope there's a friendly Ice Troll faction somewhere.
Nerubians, hopefully another cool faction.
Vyrkul, which are basically vampiric vikings......sounds too bad ass. They're bad guys but fighting them should be cool.
The Taunka which are like Tauren, but instead of being half-man/half-steer they're half-man/half-buffalo.
Plague Eruptor which are Scourge minions, I'm guessing Flesh Giants are too.
Darkallen.....no idea.
Shoveltusk: I've seen a picture of one. They seem to be elk with tusks that well...form like a shovel. Actually they look to me like half-moose/half-bulldozer.
Proto-Dragon's which are the white dragons we see flying around in the cinematic. I read on WoW Wiki that the word proto suggests that they are the first flight of dragons. And as such they have no magical abilities since they're patron was not blessed by the titans. So from that I'm guessing that the Jorumgar Wyrm is the patron of the proto-dragons. Which means that he/she could be the oldest living dragon. Or they could be the oldest living proto-dragons. I mean those are just some theories.

All in all I'd have to say that this stuff sounds really cool and I can't wait for WoTLk to come out.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:04 PM

Keeper of Lore

http://battle.net/war3/neutral/magnataurs.shtml

Also, I wouldn't base any opinions on WoWWiki speculation. Honestly too, "Proto" especially has a lot of meanings. They could be experimental prototypes (like the Chromatic Flight), or maybe even "unevolved" dragons. Who knows. I think it would be odd for them to be the "first dragonflight" though.

Last edited by Warlock; 01-25-2008 at 09:07 PM..
Old 01-25-2008, 10:04 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Why are people thinking the jormungar is related to dragons? Look it up on WoWWiki, it is like a dune-ish sandworm, it is more likely connected to the old gods than dragons.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:09 PM

Ranger

Invisibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Why are people thinking the jormungar is related to dragons? Look it up on WoWWiki, it is like a dune-ish sandworm, it is more likely connected to the old gods than dragons.
because it says jormungar "WYRM" Wyrm is an alternate spelling of the word "wurm" which is european for dragon. Not jormungar "worm"
Old 01-25-2008, 10:22 PM

Ranger

Invisibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
http://battle.net/war3/neutral/magnataurs.shtml

Also, I wouldn't base any opinions on WoWWiki speculation. Honestly too, "Proto" especially has a lot of meanings. They could be experimental prototypes (like the Chromatic Flight), or maybe even "unevolved" dragons. Who knows. I think it would be odd for them to be the "first dragonflight" though.
Idk, what if there was a dragonflight before all the others? Nowhere does it there are ONLY 5 kinds of dragons, just 5 MAIN dragonflights. I think proto-dragons will a minor flight of dragons.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foeslayer View Post
because it says jormungar "WYRM" Wyrm is an alternate spelling of the word "wurm" which is european for dragon. Not jormungar "worm"
Wyrm is old english for any animal vaguely worm shaped- the term wyrm became worm in English, but back then it applied to snakes, worms and some forms of arthropods like caterpillars. Dragons come from the term "Draco", which means snake, and dragons are commonly portrayed as winged and legged snakes (their more reptillian or dinosauroid appearance is a relatively new concept) and that is why wyrm is associated with them, but the word wyrm is just as much draconic as it is wormlike.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:11 AM

Ranger

Invisibility

Quote:
Wyrm is old english for any animal vaguely worm shaped- the term wyrm became worm in English, but back then it applied to snakes, worms and some forms of arthropods like caterpillars. Dragons come from the term "Draco", which means snake, and dragons are commonly portrayed as winged and legged snakes (their more reptillian or dinosauroid appearance is a relatively new concept) and that is why wyrm is associated with them, but the word wyrm is just as much draconic as it is wormlike.
Point is, the Jormungar Wyrm is going to be some kind of dragon.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:52 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

A giant worm. Draconic, perhaps? But a worm.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 01-26-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Point is, the Jormungar Wyrm is going to be some kind of dragon.
Point is, it isn't. It's "wurm", not "wyrm", and there are already non draconic wyrms in warcraft (storm wyrms).
Old 01-26-2008, 10:34 AM

Ranger

Invisibility

Quote:
Point is, it isn't. It's "wurm", not "wyrm", and there are already non draconic wyrms in warcraft (storm wyrms).
Yea but a storm wyrm is a big lizard. You don't have to breath fire and have wings to be classified as a dragon. To be a dragon you have to be a big reptile with mystical or magical qualities. Breathing lightning qualifies as a magical quality. Back to the main point Jormungar Wyrm=draconic mob.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:24 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

DISCUSSION ABOUT WURMS, WYRMS AND WORMS REDIRECTED TO THE FORUM LEGION HOME THREAD.

LINK HERE!

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:33 PM

Ranger

Invisibility

anyways, back to the main point, besides slaying arctic dragons I can't wait for the new factions.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Yea but a storm wyrm is a big lizard. You don't have to breath fire and have wings to be classified as a dragon. To be a dragon you have to be a big reptile with mystical or magical qualities. Breathing lightning qualifies as a magical quality. Back to the main point Jormungar Wyrm=draconic mob.
Lizards have spines, there's no way the Jormungar is a vertebrate.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:20 PM

Ranger

Invisibility

Quote:
Lizards have spines, there's no way the Jormungar is a vertebrate.
I'm telling you Omacron its going to be a lizard/dargon thingy.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I'm telling you Omacron its going to be a lizard/dargon thingy.
To just repeat something what Omacron posted in the other thread:

Old 01-26-2008, 03:41 PM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by handclaw View Post
To just repeat something what Omacron posted in the other thread:

That's what I saw! But why call it "wyrm" when it's clearly a "worm"?
Old 01-26-2008, 06:55 PM

Loremaster

Wyrm and Worm mean the same thing you tool.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:58 PM

Ranger

Invisibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki View Post
no its not. atleast not in WoW its not. "worm" is a Ouro or the crust buster mobs in Outland. "Wrym" is a dragon or something draconic in nature....why the fuck would Blizz call it a wyrm when it's clearly not draconic? They make no fuckin sense!
Old 01-26-2008, 07:03 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
no its not. atleast not in WoW its not. "worm" is a Ouro or the crust buster mobs in Outland. "Wrym" is a dragon or something draconic in nature....why the fuck would Blizz call it a wyrm when it's clearly not draconic? They make no fuckin sense!
Things are subject to change. It could be called "The Titanic Turd" by release for all we know.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:10 PM

Ranger

Invisibility

Quote:
Things are subject to change. It could be called "The Titanic Turd" by release for all we know.
poo is never a good thing
Old 01-26-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
In old English they were, and I'm pretty damn sure that the word for snake and worm are similar in germanic languages, probably Norwegian or Swedish, and Dragon derives from the Greek and Latin Draco, for snake, hence the relation.