Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Site News

Old 05-09-2007, 10:48 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Thank goodness they are plnning on making a woTA compilation. I can't find the darn book anywhere here in my country. As for "night of the Dragon" well if its as good as "Day of the Dragon" you wont see me complaining.
Btw I actual like the title "Night of the Dragon".
Old 05-10-2007, 12:29 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drirlake
Ohhh no not another god damn knaak story about dragons....
Sunwell triology, all three comics. sucked.
WOTA was stupid and pointless.
I will have to quote Flamestrider on that one
Hah! Drir agrees with me! The end of the world must be near.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:58 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Wait, that means Drir agrees with me too...

Now if we can get Neph, Vicious and Kenzuki in on this action the world will come to an end!!
Old 05-10-2007, 02:53 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

During desperate times, even the worst enemies can ally together.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:34 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
I really don't understand how either option is plausible. I just... yeah, I don't get it. Neither makes sense.
But there's not really any alternative. Either Metzen was lying or he was telling the truth.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:00 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Or he was so crazy with the thought of a Draenei race that look cool and are paladins, he didn't think twice about the reprucussions (I can't spell T_T) of introducing such a thing would mean!
Old 05-10-2007, 02:15 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
Or he was so crazy with the thought of a Draenei race that look cool and are paladins, he didn't think twice about the reprucussions (I can't spell T_T) of introducing such a thing would mean!
And nobody else on the story team either remembered or thought to remind him? Idiots. Or they lied about it. Assholes.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:22 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Yeah, but they've never screwed around with the story THAT badly before. There has to be SOMETHING we don't know about. =\

Not defending the writing team here, just saying...
Old 05-10-2007, 02:26 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephalim View Post
Here's how I see the "I just plum forgot about it" thing.

Option A: An entire team of writers, some of whom's sole job it is to keep on top of game history and, so they allege, make sure it's consistent, just up and forgot a detail which was minor in technicality but world-shaping in practicality. A detail, incidentally, which possibly millions had retained and immediately noticed when they posted something different.

Option B: They remembered, and opted to instead institute a completely avoidable retcon. When approached about it, having no good excuse save sloth for making the change, they fed their angry public a weak lie.

So which is it, Blizzard? Idiots or assholes?

It's times like this, and it's happened before, when it dawns on me, with absolutely no hubris, that I could do a better job handling something I love than the people handling it. And that's not me tooting my own horn. It's me crying in a corner.

You know it Neph. I could have come up with a better reason for Draenei to be this way.

The Draenei were Eredar who escaped from Argus before their brethren delved too deeply into arcane magic and became demons. Then the Bad Eredar went on to be imprisoned by Sargeras etc.

SEE! It would make sense!
Old 05-10-2007, 02:27 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

The simplest way to undo the ret-con is to say that Kil'jaeden corrupted the Eredar instead of Sargeras.

There.

That's like... a one-word change.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:22 PM

Site Staff - News
Send a message via MSN to Ersinus

Eredar Civil War is the best
Old 05-10-2007, 03:26 PM

Eternal

Or this:

The eredar as a species become corrupt as their technology and magic advances and advances. After destroying their world (Argus, I suppose) with these volatile customs, they began to move on to other worlds, in essence becoming what we know as demons. Basically, as a people, the eredar are self-corrupted.

The triumvirate of Archimonde, Kil'jaeden, and Velen we can keep. Perhaps they were the brains behind becoming man'ari or they could rise to power afterwards, it doesn't matter. After eons/whatever of feeding off the energies of world after world Velen has an epiphany. Perhaps he has a vision from K'ure, where the naaru rebukes him and his race from falling so far from where the naaru left them so long ago. Velen finds like-minded eredar but realizes that Archimonde, Kil'jaeden, and the rest of the eredar are probably not going to go for this. Kil'jaeden discovers his plan to defect, and tries to stop him. Velen succeeds in stealing the ata'mal crystals and leaving with the now draenei, but Kil'jaeden dogs them at every turn.

Velen then finds Sargeras - who is still good at this point - and tattles on the eredar. He reports where they can be found and what they've been doing. Sargeras goes and imprisons them, Kil'jaeden vows revenge, the draenei continue on their way. Velen seeks out K'ure, beseeches him for guidance, and K'ure takes the draenei under its wing.

Then Sargeras goes nuts, Kil'jaeden gets out, the eredar resume the hunt for Velen, and the story continues on exactly as it already did.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:34 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

That's not nearly as simple.

It's good, though.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:30 PM

Eternal

Well this accounts for basically everything being the same way it is now, plus, in my estimation, it gives Kil'jaeden more reason to hate and want revenge on Velen than he currently has.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:00 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Kinda makes the Draenei a little less boring too. Whereas right now they're completely dull and trite.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:28 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Well this accounts for basically everything being the same way it is now, plus, in my estimation, it gives Kil'jaeden more reason to hate and want revenge on Velen than he currently has.
Yeah, i liked it.

A retcon that includes everything in the old lore, now that would be a perfect way to makes the Draenei in Warcraft.

Warlock, Lord of Scrolls of Lore: Shut up, Timolas
Old 05-11-2007, 06:10 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

A man can dream.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:02 PM

Druid of the Talon

Warcraft Lore will still be good as long as there is no more time travel and pointless retconing bullshit, like in WOTA. To me there's just one official timeline. The other doesn't exist

Yes, no more time travel. Also, i find it stupid that everyone can access the Caverns of Time now and time travel for fun and to get epixx while Brann Bronzebeard himself had so much trouble finding this secure and ancient place. Bronzebeard couldn't fully explore it because of the weirdness in it and such noobs as us are able to explore it and even time travel!

Yes, I hope Blizz will not consider time travel a fundamental part of the story, and keep it only in books and instances that nobody care.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:45 PM

Loremaster

Well I like the CoT instances, they are alot of fun. You grannies can just take the panties out of your cracks and enjoy it too. I see MYSELF as a hero, and a hero that is helping save the World!
Old 05-13-2007, 07:00 PM

Eternal

You're free to like whatever you want. That doesn't make it good.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:08 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
You're free to like whatever you want. That doesn't make it good.
Doesn't make it bad either.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:42 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki
I see MYSELF as a hero, and a hero that is helping save the World!
Then why, pray, does the idea that you could kill a character of any importance whatsoever upset you?
Old 05-13-2007, 07:50 PM

Druid of the Talon

The instance may be fun in WoW (and that's good) but in future games and books it has to remain a secure and hidden place that no mortal is allowed to enter
Old 05-14-2007, 06:06 AM

Eternal

The caverns of time aren´t that bad lorewise considering what the "hero" has done before that, besides it´s fun to do it.

Sometimes you guys ask to much of this game like i did quite awhile ago, it´s a MMO, they need any justification to do instances and this was the "coolest" thing they could co with the place, live with it.

Warlock, Lord of Scrolls of Lore: Shut up, Timolas

Last edited by Vicious; 05-14-2007 at 06:13 AM..
Old 05-14-2007, 08:09 AM

Eternal

That's not even an argument. There are completely legitimate complaints about the Caverns of Time and your responses are "Well I like it, it's fun, so deal with it" as if it would be impossible for them to assuage these concerns, and still make it fun and likable.

And you're right, Kenzuki, your liking it doesn't make it bad. But it IS bad, nonetheless.