Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2076  
Old 11-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Niars Niars is offline

Sentinel Queen
Niars's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 842

Default

If Blizz made the NElves more like they're described in the new TCG cards, everything would be great. I want to see Orcs dropping with arrows in their throats, ambushes of patrols appearing from the shadows and wiping people out. That sort of thing.
__________________
If you could play any race in WoW lore, what would it be? Why?
Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler:
I've always been partial to orcs. Also liked the nelfs when they were fierce.

  #2077  
Old 11-08-2012, 09:51 AM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,980

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niars View Post
If Blizz made the NElves more like they're described in the new TCG cards, everything would be great. I want to see Orcs dropping with arrows in their throats, ambushes of patrols appearing from the shadows and wiping people out. That sort of thing.
In your dreams. Night Elves are Blizzard's punching bag.
  #2078  
Old 11-08-2012, 11:57 AM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,152

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niars View Post
If Blizz made the NElves more like they're described in the new TCG cards, everything would be great. I want to see Orcs dropping with arrows in their throats, ambushes of patrols appearing from the shadows and wiping people out. That sort of thing.
I think people need to realize that guerrilla warfare is fought from a position of weakness. That is if the NEs fully committed to this strategy they would have to yield all of their territory besides Teldrasil to the orcs, and either allow the existing population to live under occupation or extract any who qualify as civilians.

When you fight a guerrilla fight you hold no territory, therefore denying the enemy a chance to strike at you. At the same time you make strikes of opportunity against the enemy inflicting heavy attrition. The thing is if the enemy is willing to suffer attrition they will take all of the land.

So as long as civilian centers remain in Ashenvale and elsewhere which NEs are unwilling to abandon they will be forced to defend them, therefore they will be forced to engage the orcs in a more conventional manner.


That said this is Blizzard, considering what shit they've pulled I can see how people might see this as realistic in comparison, but the truth is that it isn't. If that doesn't bother you then enjoy.
  #2079  
Old 11-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,374

Runes

Except we have NPCs that note that the Elves do that sort of thing we just never see it.
  #2080  
Old 11-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,144

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
I think people need to realize that guerrilla warfare is fought from a position of weakness. That is if the NEs fully committed to this strategy they would have to yield all of their territory besides Teldrasil to the orcs, and either allow the existing population to live under occupation or extract any who qualify as civilians.

When you fight a guerrilla fight you hold no territory, therefore denying the enemy a chance to strike at you. At the same time you make strikes of opportunity against the enemy inflicting heavy attrition. The thing is if the enemy is willing to suffer attrition they will take all of the land.

So as long as civilian centers remain in Ashenvale and elsewhere which NEs are unwilling to abandon they will be forced to defend them, therefore they will be forced to engage the orcs in a more conventional manner.


That said this is Blizzard, considering what shit they've pulled I can see how people might see this as realistic in comparison, but the truth is that it isn't. If that doesn't bother you then enjoy.
Guerrilla warfare and hit run tactics were but one strategy. It's like I'm the only one who remembers the massive shields and armor clad huntresses. The easiest slaughter in all of WC 3 was a regiment of huntresses backed by archers and druids of the talon. Hit and run for night elves gets vastly overplayed on both forums.
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
  #2081  
Old 11-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Torch Torch is offline

Eternal
Torch's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,279
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Default

Hit and run and Stand and fight aren't mutually exclusive. Hit and run won't defend places, but ambushes are certainly effective. Especially if you know the terrain, can traverse through the flora and turn invisible.

No one ever said anything about total hit and run. Just, you know, actually seeing it used far more often to harrass the enemy
__________________
"Terrorism, a job for lazy people and wankers"

If I die, blame it on BfA
  #2082  
Old 11-08-2012, 12:34 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,152

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Hit and run and Stand and fight aren't mutually exclusive. Hit and run won't defend places, but ambushes are certainly effective. Especially if you know the terrain, can traverse through the flora and turn invisible.

No one ever said anything about total hit and run. Just, you know, actually seeing it used far more often to harrass the enemy
Are the orcs so retarded as to not know the terrain by now? Can they really turn invisible? Can't the enemy use these same tactics too? Questions worthy of consideration I think.

My main point was that guerrilla warfare is not as effective as some people might think it to be. If the enemy has equal or greater numbers then you take a risk by having hit and run attacks because you might lack those troops if the enemy makes a concerted effort at a strategic location. Nothing is without its drawbacks.

When all things are considered it is likely that these limited hit and run attacks are happening and they are just not that effective, as is reasonable. However I get the feeling that the people I am addressing this towards don't really care much for realism when it concerns their pet race.
  #2083  
Old 11-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Niars Niars is offline

Sentinel Queen
Niars's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 842

Default

I never actually suggested guerrilla warfare. My idea of NElf fighting is more akin to how special forces are used. Whilst they do have the tough units, they're not as common as archers and druids, and they take full advantage of terrain and stealth to weaken the more traditional formats of Orc (and indeed most of the Horde) armies. If I was Varian, I'd have them running hit-and-run campaigns rather than defending walls or... laying siege to temples, although I understand that wasn't his choice.
__________________
If you could play any race in WoW lore, what would it be? Why?
Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler:
I've always been partial to orcs. Also liked the nelfs when they were fierce.

  #2084  
Old 11-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Insane Guy of Doom Insane Guy of Doom is offline

Time-Lost Proto Nerd
Insane Guy of Doom's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,983

Default

Other news from that interview.

-The new gryphon and wyvern models won't replace flight point taxis.

-The armored gryphon and wyvern are exalted rewards from Operation: Shieldwall/Dominance Offensive (we know this), but there will be a quest chain the rewards unarmored versions of those mounts.
  #2085  
Old 11-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

I still don't get why the wyvern has horns.
__________________
  #2086  
Old 11-08-2012, 04:32 PM
HalfElfDragon HalfElfDragon is offline

The draconic Titleless - Mod
HalfElfDragon's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 15,541
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I still don't get why the wyvern has horns.
The Warchief demands it!
__________________
Quote:
Lucio Benado be wanting to say, Hey, what's up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
  #2087  
Old 11-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,374

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I still don't get why the wyvern has horns.
Or Green glowing eyes...
  #2088  
Old 11-08-2012, 04:34 PM
HalfElfDragon HalfElfDragon is offline

The draconic Titleless - Mod
HalfElfDragon's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 15,541
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Or Green glowing eyes...
Fel wyvern!
__________________
Quote:
Lucio Benado be wanting to say, Hey, what's up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
  #2089  
Old 11-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Volkrin Volkrin is offline

The Digger
Volkrin's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 9,019

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Or Green glowing eyes...
I feel as if it would be appropriate to add an ominous "dun... dun... DUNNNNNNNNN!!!" here.
  #2090  
Old 11-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Kenzuki Kenzuki is offline

Loremaster
Kenzuki's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Gates of Twilight
Posts: 9,954

Default

Let's not forget that night elves can turn freaken invisible at night via shadowmeld.
  #2091  
Old 11-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,895

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki View Post
Let's not forget that night elves can turn freaken invisible at night via shadowmeld.
And day.
  #2092  
Old 11-08-2012, 04:43 PM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,980

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki View Post
Let's not forget that night elves can turn freaken invisible at night via shadowmeld.
Invisibility can't stop the almighty Horde axe.
  #2093  
Old 11-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,895

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Invisibility can't stop the almighty Horde axe.
It can stop the arm wielding it from even attempt to strike at the one who's invisible.
  #2094  
Old 11-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Shaman Shaman is offline

Site Staff - Admin
Shaman's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Barrens
Posts: 12,447

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
Fel wyvern!
Hello good mount vendor sir, please take all of my gold coins for your fel wyvern there.
  #2095  
Old 11-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Kenzuki Kenzuki is offline

Loremaster
Kenzuki's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Gates of Twilight
Posts: 9,954

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Invisibility can't stop the almighty Horde axe.
An arrow to the knee from an invisible bow can render the almighty Horde axe pointless lol.
  #2096  
Old 11-08-2012, 04:48 PM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,980

Default

Quote:
It can stop the arm wielding it from even attempt to strike at the one who's invisible.
Quote:
An arrow to the knee from an invisible bow can render the almighty Horde axe pointless lol.
I guess you guys forgot who's writing the quests/story.
  #2097  
Old 11-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Garotar Garotar is offline

Site Staff - News
Garotar's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,772
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki View Post
An arrow to the knee from an invisible bow can render the almighty Horde axe pointless lol.
That's how Garrosh's fight will end. He'll take an arrow to the knee and then have to give up the mantle of Warchief to drink in bars all day.
__________________
I used to take Warcraft lore seriously, then the lore took a Rule of Cool to the knee.
  #2098  
Old 11-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Millenia Millenia is offline

Elune
Millenia's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10,836
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Except we have NPCs that note that the Elves do that sort of thing we just never see it.
Which is why Blizzard fails at storytelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Are the orcs so retarded as to not know the terrain by now? Can they really turn invisible? Can't the enemy use these same tactics too? Questions worthy of consideration I think.
The Horde has used the same tactics (plus additional things like shredders and magnataur) in Wolfheart... and pretty much schooled the night elves. The night elves did take down some of the Horde's forces, however.

Quote:
However I get the feeling that the people I am addressing this towards don't really care much for realism when it concerns their pet race.
If realism were in play the Horde would have had its ass carpet bombed in the moment the night elves joined the Alliance, and the Forsaken would have been killed faster than Garithos.

If realism were in play, the Alliance wouldn't have suffered amnesia about being at war with the Horde.

If realism were in play the night elves would have taken Orgrimmar while Garrosh was busy trying to take down Theramore. Or at least made a second attempt at it rather than sending Shandris to Theramore the long way around.

So do us all a favor and stop talking about realism.
__________________
"All right, I'll get that kid to eat. Where's my screw driver and my plumber's helper? I'll open up his mouth and I'll shove it in."


The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.

Last edited by Millenia; 11-08-2012 at 05:01 PM..
  #2099  
Old 11-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,895

Default

I used to be a Warchief like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.
  #2100  
Old 11-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Mshadowz Mshadowz is offline

Eternal
Mshadowz's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North of the border
Posts: 3,716

Default

Isn't the point of invisibility to not be seen? Or am I just mistaken? Night elves are using shadowmeld all the time! There is one in your room right now!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Mshadowz wins the scroll of lore, forever ever.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.