Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 09:42 AM

Sentinel Queen

If Blizz made the NElves more like they're described in the new TCG cards, everything would be great. I want to see Orcs dropping with arrows in their throats, ambushes of patrols appearing from the shadows and wiping people out. That sort of thing.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:51 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niars View Post
If Blizz made the NElves more like they're described in the new TCG cards, everything would be great. I want to see Orcs dropping with arrows in their throats, ambushes of patrols appearing from the shadows and wiping people out. That sort of thing.
In your dreams. Night Elves are Blizzard's punching bag.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:57 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niars View Post
I think people need to realize that guerrilla warfare is fought from a position of weakness. That is if the NEs fully committed to this strategy they would have to yield all of their territory besides Teldrasil to the orcs, and either allow the existing population to live under occupation or extract any who qualify as civilians.

When you fight a guerrilla fight you hold no territory, therefore denying the enemy a chance to strike at you. At the same time you make strikes of opportunity against the enemy inflicting heavy attrition. The thing is if the enemy is willing to suffer attrition they will take all of the land.

So as long as civilian centers remain in Ashenvale and elsewhere which NEs are unwilling to abandon they will be forced to defend them, therefore they will be forced to engage the orcs in a more conventional manner.

That said this is Blizzard, considering what shit they've pulled I can see how people might see this as realistic in comparison, but the truth is that it isn't. If that doesn't bother you then enjoy.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:00 PM

World Builder

Runes

Except we have NPCs that note that the Elves do that sort of thing we just never see it.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:04 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
I think people need to realize that guerrilla warfare is fought from a position of weakness. That is if the NEs fully committed to this strategy they would have to yield all of their territory besides Teldrasil to the orcs, and either allow the existing population to live under occupation or extract any who qualify as civilians.

When you fight a guerrilla fight you hold no territory, therefore denying the enemy a chance to strike at you. At the same time you make strikes of opportunity against the enemy inflicting heavy attrition. The thing is if the enemy is willing to suffer attrition they will take all of the land.

So as long as civilian centers remain in Ashenvale and elsewhere which NEs are unwilling to abandon they will be forced to defend them, therefore they will be forced to engage the orcs in a more conventional manner.

That said this is Blizzard, considering what shit they've pulled I can see how people might see this as realistic in comparison, but the truth is that it isn't. If that doesn't bother you then enjoy.
Guerrilla warfare and hit run tactics were but one strategy. It's like I'm the only one who remembers the massive shields and armor clad huntresses. The easiest slaughter in all of WC 3 was a regiment of huntresses backed by archers and druids of the talon. Hit and run for night elves gets vastly overplayed on both forums.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:25 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Hit and run and Stand and fight aren't mutually exclusive. Hit and run won't defend places, but ambushes are certainly effective. Especially if you know the terrain, can traverse through the flora and turn invisible.

No one ever said anything about total hit and run. Just, you know, actually seeing it used far more often to harrass the enemy

If I die, blame it on BfA
Old 11-08-2012, 12:34 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Hit and run and Stand and fight aren't mutually exclusive. Hit and run won't defend places, but ambushes are certainly effective. Especially if you know the terrain, can traverse through the flora and turn invisible.

No one ever said anything about total hit and run. Just, you know, actually seeing it used far more often to harrass the enemy
Are the orcs so retarded as to not know the terrain by now? Can they really turn invisible? Can't the enemy use these same tactics too? Questions worthy of consideration I think.

My main point was that guerrilla warfare is not as effective as some people might think it to be. If the enemy has equal or greater numbers then you take a risk by having hit and run attacks because you might lack those troops if the enemy makes a concerted effort at a strategic location. Nothing is without its drawbacks.

When all things are considered it is likely that these limited hit and run attacks are happening and they are just not that effective, as is reasonable. However I get the feeling that the people I am addressing this towards don't really care much for realism when it concerns their pet race.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:40 PM

Sentinel Queen

I never actually suggested guerrilla warfare. My idea of NElf fighting is more akin to how special forces are used. Whilst they do have the tough units, they're not as common as archers and druids, and they take full advantage of terrain and stealth to weaken the more traditional formats of Orc (and indeed most of the Horde) armies. If I was Varian, I'd have them running hit-and-run campaigns rather than defending walls or... laying siege to temples, although I understand that wasn't his choice.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:19 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Other news from that interview.

-The new gryphon and wyvern models won't replace flight point taxis.

-The armored gryphon and wyvern are exalted rewards from Operation: Shieldwall/Dominance Offensive (we know this), but there will be a quest chain the rewards unarmored versions of those mounts.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:31 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I still don't get why the wyvern has horns.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:32 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
The Warchief demands it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 11-08-2012, 04:33 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Or Green glowing eyes...
Old 11-08-2012, 04:34 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Or Green glowing eyes...
Fel wyvern!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 11-08-2012, 04:35 PM

The Digger

Quote:
Or Green glowing eyes...
I feel as if it would be appropriate to add an ominous "dun... dun... DUNNNNNNNNN!!!" here.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:40 PM

Loremaster

Let's not forget that night elves can turn freaken invisible at night via shadowmeld.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:42 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki View Post
Let's not forget that night elves can turn freaken invisible at night via shadowmeld.
And day.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:43 PM

Elune

Quote:
Invisibility can't stop the almighty Horde axe.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
It can stop the arm wielding it from even attempt to strike at the one who's invisible.

Site Staff - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
Fel wyvern!
Hello good mount vendor sir, please take all of my gold coins for your fel wyvern there.

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
An arrow to the knee from an invisible bow can render the almighty Horde axe pointless lol.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:48 PM

Elune

Quote:
It can stop the arm wielding it from even attempt to strike at the one who's invisible.
Quote:
An arrow to the knee from an invisible bow can render the almighty Horde axe pointless lol.
I guess you guys forgot who's writing the quests/story.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:52 PM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

Quote:
That's how Garrosh's fight will end. He'll take an arrow to the knee and then have to give up the mantle of Warchief to drink in bars all day.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:56 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
Except we have NPCs that note that the Elves do that sort of thing we just never see it.
Which is why Blizzard fails at storytelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Are the orcs so retarded as to not know the terrain by now? Can they really turn invisible? Can't the enemy use these same tactics too? Questions worthy of consideration I think.
The Horde has used the same tactics (plus additional things like shredders and magnataur) in Wolfheart... and pretty much schooled the night elves. The night elves did take down some of the Horde's forces, however.

Quote:
However I get the feeling that the people I am addressing this towards don't really care much for realism when it concerns their pet race.
If realism were in play the Horde would have had its ass carpet bombed in the moment the night elves joined the Alliance, and the Forsaken would have been killed faster than Garithos.

If realism were in play, the Alliance wouldn't have suffered amnesia about being at war with the Horde.

If realism were in play the night elves would have taken Orgrimmar while Garrosh was busy trying to take down Theramore. Or at least made a second attempt at it rather than sending Shandris to Theramore the long way around.

So do us all a favor and stop talking about realism.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.

Last edited by Millenia; 11-08-2012 at 05:01 PM..
Old 11-08-2012, 04:57 PM

I used to be a Warchief like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:12 PM

Eternal

Isn't the point of invisibility to not be seen? Or am I just mistaken? Night elves are using shadowmeld all the time! There is one in your room right now!
Closed Thread