Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 02:52 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Am I the only one who finds it weird that, despite being tortured by demons for 25,000 years and then directly controlled by Sargeras, Argus doesn't have any fel-green accents?
That's my view of the issue:

It seems that Argus was turned into flesh and bone against his will, so his weird appearance sort of makes sense. He isn't even a full-sized titan, more like a glorified avatar. But think about it, his world was turned into a hellish wasteland and is twisted beyond recognition - his body represents the fate of his planet.

Thousands of years spent in eternal tourment, the betrayal of the Eredar, torned apart shreds of scorched earth that remain of the once glorius planet - all of this is reflected in his tormented visage. It's just that Argus couldn't end up looking any different.

The noble titans are somewhat reminiscent of humans in their look, well, to bre precise - it's the other way around. Humans are the ones that bare some likeness to these glorious beings. Titans embody beauty and perfection that are beyond humanity, and it's merely their physical shell. Yet Argus is different: his morbid blue skin is speckled with swollen veins and scabs, his very flesh is withered. His face is hidden by a helmet, and it's for a reason - basically, Argus doesn't even have a normal face, just bare bones covered by sick skin, he lacks nose and lips. Moreover, he doesn't have a scalp, and blue flame always burns from his open skull.

So it's not that surprising that Argus lords over the powers of... Death and Decay. His unending pain, his appearance of seemingly dead person - all of this finds a response in the power of Death. It seems that his own tragic fate has bounded him with this dark force of creation.

That's why he bears the title of the Unmaker. Perhaps, that was Sargeras' plan for his lost brother all along, for this is the role that the Fallen Titan has bestowed upon Argus. The Unmaking of Creation. And this role eerly corresponds with the definition of Death power from the Chronicle:

"Death, in the form of necromantic magic, acts as a counterbalance to Life. It is a an unavoidable force that breeds despair in mortal hearts and pushes everything towards a state of entropic decay and eventual oblivion."

Some of Argus' abilities have fitting names for such a role in Sargeras' plan - for example, Edge of Obliteration.

It's hard to say, whether his powers are mostly Death or Decay oriented. After all, this titan doesn't rise undead minions. Yet, the set of his abilities speaks for itself: Cone of Death, Death Fog, Blight Orb and Wasting Plague (even the Scourge should be envious of such power).

Argus has another interesting card up his sleeve - lordship over the souls. He reaps souls with his scythe and can control their power. Sounds like Malthael, right? But it's not the most interesting part here. In Argus' power is the ability to expose the volatility in living souls in order to... explode them.

And it made me think of something. Argus is a titan, thus he has a strong inborn affinity for the Arance. Even the world-souls themselves look like masses of this brand of magic. The term volatility is often used to describe the Arcane. And there's that peculiar place, the Reliquary of Souls in the Black Temple - a source of arcane magic seemingly powered by souls. Perhaps, a soul of an ordinary denizen of the Great Dark is a tiny spark of the Arcane? Who knows.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:08 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Christ Kiraiser it's like I'm editing undergraduate English papers again. Even Prince would tell you to un-purple some of that prose.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:23 PM

Banished

DidnĀ“t an undergraduate english student make you lose the job you wanted at blizz?
Old 09-28-2017, 03:27 PM

Eternal

I was thinking something similar with Argus, the death themed abilities is odd, along with his appearance. A Titan of death is an interesting concept on its own.

I wonder if Sargeras truly made him attuned to the forces of death or is he naturally attuned to them? In the same sense that Eonar is with life, Khaz'goroth with fire/earth, Golganneth with sea and sky and Norgannon is with the arcane (well all Titans are arcane but he seems to be especially good at it). If titans can be attuned to several other types of magic naturally then theoretically why not death?
Old 09-28-2017, 03:44 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
I was thinking something similar with Argus, the death themed abilities is odd, along with his appearance. A Titan of death is an interesting concept on its own.

I wonder if Sargeras truly made him attuned to the forces of death or is he naturally attuned to them? In the same sense that Eonar is with life, Khaz'goroth with fire/earth, Golganneth with sea and sky and Norgannon is with the arcane (well all Titans are arcane but he seems to be especially good at it). If titans can be attuned to several other types of magic naturally then theoretically why not death?
Maybe it's based on personality traits (fo example, Eonar valued life above all things and got attuned to Light, Aggrmar embodied bravery and pation, so he got connected to the Fire element etc), so we didn't see a Death titan before, because such power goes against their usual motto. The dungeon journal does imply that Sargeras set Argus loose on the universe, but it's true that we don't know if it was always part of his plan.

It might somewhat address the lack of Fel corruption. If Sargeras planned Argus to be his reaper from the very beginning as an emergency option to fight against a manifested void lord or as a part of Dark Pantheon during the last Legion march, he could've minimize the chances of his corruption to better connect him with Death element. I mean, the whole world-soul platform is full of corrupted titan-tech mixed with Legion one, so Sargeras should have a good control over the area. And it's not even that green. The other idea is that Argus' soul wouldn't stand such a direct exposure to Fel. So he was protected from it, just his soul, so he won't die.

The text is wonky, yeap. I tried to translate part of my Russian article, but my usual writing style doesn't look too well in English. I got used to translating stuff into Russian, but the reverse process is a different thing. Well, gotta improve myself.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:43 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Dude you play hearthstone how haven't you heard of turtle people?
I assume you refer to my avatar. It's from some roulette a long ways back, can't even remember what it was about. (Other than hearthstone, not sure what the card itself was supposed to mean.)

Last edited by Ardeiute; 09-28-2017 at 05:06 PM..
Old 09-28-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiraser View Post
Actually, someone just turned of the helm asset off on this one. There is no such model. The model isn't intended to be seen like this. (if you check it close, it has clear holes all over it)

I am handclaw and this is my favorite thread on Scrolls of Lore!... oh wait, nope... Just another bitching thread.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:54 PM

Eternal

I wonder if Kil'jaeden made the Lich King with the death-powers of Argus?

Anyway, it would be cool and dramatic if while possessed by Sargeras, Argus drained the life from every single krokul on the planet, killing them all in a similar tactic that Sargeras used while possessing Medivh in Karazhan.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:31 PM

Sha of Disappointment

I mean, i AM red/green colorblind, so that has to be it, but i was under the impression that the fire on Argus IS green. ish.
Also: due to the same problem i never realized Korkruun and the Shithole are supposed to be fleshy. Even looking for it i still don't see it. I honestly just see the same detailless dark rock as in the Broken Isles.
I kind of dread a void expansion. There's red in purple; it all just looks incoherently dark blue to me.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:42 PM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

as i said several years ago the fact is that legions story as predicted by me 8 years ago would end in mythic with sargeras semi merging but not really with argus, thus making the mythic version non-canon like always.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:01 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
I mean, i AM red/green colorblind, so that has to be it, but i was under the impression that the fire on Argus IS green. ish.
Omacron was talking about Titan Argus.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:36 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
Omacron was talking about Titan Argus.
... this is getting confusing.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:43 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
Saberon are weird to me because even after Chronicle we still don't know anything about them.
Aye. In general they just feel like a completely pointless and weirdly isolated part of the world. Blizzard could have removed them during the Warlords of Draenor beta and replaced all of their appearances with pale orcs or something and it wouldn't really have made any difference at all as far as the story went. The only time they were ever mentioned in Chronicle was a slight elaboration of a historical arakkoan event that we were already shown and told about in WoD. A short sentence of where they're supposed to have come from, even if it was just "They evolved from big cats that learned to use tools" would have been nice.

Previous avatars: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Old 09-29-2017, 03:09 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Stormstout View Post
Aye. In general they just feel like a completely pointless and weirdly isolated part of the world. Blizzard could have removed them during the Warlords of Draenor beta and replaced all of their appearances with pale orcs or something and it wouldn't really have made any difference at all as far as the story went. The only time they were ever mentioned in Chronicle was a slight elaboration of a historical arakkoan event that we were already shown and told about in WoD. A short sentence of where they're supposed to have come from, even if it was just "They evolved from big cats that learned to use tools" would have been nice.
That type of world building has sadly never been Blizzards strong point unlike what you'll see in FF14 and GW2.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:10 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Saberon are Draenor's gnolls, a glorious people oppressed by Blizzard's most evil loremasters.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:19 PM

Banished

so.... Blizzcon pre show will be on the fucking twitch stuff right i want to spam trihard and chit Residentsleeper and shit during the stuff which will most likely be disappointing but i would love for blizzard to actually prove me wrong and actually bring something that isnt "hey guys gamergate amirite lolz" or "we have a big hearthstone expansion" "here are some heroes for overwatch and hots" I mean i get it the commentators will talk about the reveal stuff and how excited they are because they are really doing it for the money.

Anyway please tell me it will be on twitch

Given we are in a HUUUUUUGE news drought...

I would love blizzard to surprise me with either legacy or warcraft 3 hd, the former would be more surprising homever, Its inarguable that blizzard games doesnt have the same polish and quality they used to.

you simply cant argue against it.

If you try to prove that blizzard games are good likethey used to the only thing you will get back in response is:

n-word please.

Last edited by Gurzog; 09-29-2017 at 05:31 PM..
Old 10-02-2017, 01:40 AM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
They are not canon, but they are in Hearthstone, so there's the potential of them becoming canon.

Particularly, I don't like more beast-people. The Saberon were a total waste of resources in WoD, and most beast-people are boring. But sometimes a new beastman race is cool (Arakkoa, for instance).
To be Frank most of WoD was a Waste of Development
Old 10-02-2017, 10:29 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
To be Frank most of WoD was a Waste of Development
I stand by that what it did for Draenor itself was good, even if it took until Chronicle to tie things up.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:36 PM

Banished

Legion is a waste of manhours.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:44 PM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
I stand by that what it did for Draenor itself was good, even if it took until Chronicle to tie things up.
Most of what it did good for Draenor itself could have been directly left to Chronicle and spared us a couple of game patches masquerading as an expansion
Old 10-02-2017, 11:40 PM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Saberon are Draenor's gnolls, a glorious people oppressed by Blizzard's most evil loremasters.
*creates a like button and then smashes it for this post*

When will the "mongrel" races get their day in the sun?
Old 10-03-2017, 12:06 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mending View Post

Most likely when Blizzard runs out of cosmic villains to use and are instead forced to resort to reusing old scrapped expansion concepts.

World of Warcraft: Rise of the Mongrel Horde 2020.

Previous avatars: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Old 10-03-2017, 12:47 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mending View Post

Never
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:13 AM

Faerie Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Stormstout View Post
Most likely when Blizzard runs out of cosmic villains to use and are instead forced to resort to reusing old scrapped expansion concepts.
Blizzard, 2020 : "You thought the Void Lords were the big baddies ? That's because you haven't heard of the Barons of Creation yet. They made the Void and the Light.

Blizzard, 2022 : "You thought the Barons of Creation were the big baddies ? That's because you haven't heard of the Cosmic Existence yet. It is the creator of the Barons of Creation. In fact, the Existence created multiple Barons for the multiverse, and the previous ones were only our universe's."
Old 10-03-2017, 05:35 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMindWontQuiet View Post
Blizzard, 2020 : "You thought the Void Lords were the big baddies ? That's because you haven't heard of the Barons of Creation yet. They made the Void and the Light.

Blizzard, 2022 : "You thought the Barons of Creation were the big baddies ? That's because you haven't heard of the Cosmic Existence yet. It is the creator of the Barons of Creation. In fact, the Existence created multiple Barons for the multiverse, and the previous ones were only our universe's."
This is written as a joke, but it's exactly what I see happening. Blizzard is running out of Big Name Villains. We only have N'zoth, Azshara and the Void Lords to go, and I'm convinced that the first two will be used together, so it's only material for two more expansions... Unless they start recycling old villains, like having Bolvar turn evil/mad (not unlikely at all, though I imagine the backlash would be on the heavy side) and bringing Deathwing back, and a Multiverse would be great for this.
Closed Thread

Tags
world of warcraft, wow legion