Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Site News

Old 11-04-2007, 06:00 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeedle View Post
So, it's been 12 months. Can we be annoyed now?
Yuuuuup.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:39 AM

Eternal

Anger !
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:51 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: DrunkenPanda#1589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeedle View Post
So, it's been 12 months. Can we be annoyed now?
Oh, it'll be updated.

Right before WotLK comes out.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:32 PM

Loremaster

Sadly, the Encyclopedia on their page seems to have basically been a means of educating the players on new lore that Blizz coudn't fit into previous games, because it's all based on events we haven't actually witnessed, rather than directly following the main storyline of WCIII and TFT. Since they've essentially abandoned the practice of including big, fat game manuals full of storyline with the games themselves, Blizz just came up with a new outlet for filling in the gaps. They know that a majority of those who couldn't care less about the lore will just chuck any instruction manuals they include into the nearest dusty old desk-drawer without reading, so it became more cost-effective and less futile to just post it online instead.

Every Blizz interview these days seems rife with Metzen and others repeatedly saying "we were gonna do this, but..." without explaining why rather than the usual "departure" from the original plans (like gradually whittling down the playable WCIII races or changing the resource mechanic for the Scourge for prcaticality and balance reasons), they instead seem to have just burned the old ideas in their entirety and moved on to completely divergent paths. It's borderline of had they decided halfway through WCII that "Hey, this'll be a Diablo title instead! Scrap everything, we're starting over!" So everything that got built up for TBC, like the Blood Elves and Draenei, the war with the Legion, and the possibility of traveling to do battle on other worlds, is being wrapped up or outright dismissed at breakneck speed so they can forget about it and move onto WotLK, an expansion in which the Blood Elves and Draenei will just be two more races with no more stake or personal involvement in the overall plot than the humans and orcs (hell, it makes even less sense for the Draenei. The Draenei still have armies of kinsmen stuck fighting in Outland, and now they're gonna redirect their heroes and soldiers to some backwater continent in Azeroth? Honestly, unless Blizz bothers to toss some Scourge soldiers onto the Exodar's doorstep, why should the Draenei care in the slightest what Arthas is doing up in Northrend?). They're severing all ties with TBC, because honestly, at this point neither the Legion nor Illidan are relevant to whatever future events take place in Northrend. We're being scaled down from battling the greatest enemy in creation with entire planets full of demonic foot soldiers to mopping up the messes made by a one-world, one-continent supervillain who seems as confused as anyone about why he's been sitting on his hands and doing nothing for the past several years.

Last edited by ARM3481; 11-04-2007 at 02:36 PM..
Old 11-06-2007, 03:21 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

They updated for WotA...

I don't think they'e going to update more... If they're going to they don't look like...

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 11-06-2007, 07:53 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
They updated for WotA...
War of the Ancients was around long before the encyclopedia. Everything that's currently on the encyclopedia was there in its initial release.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:25 AM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

I haven't looked yet to see if they put it there (I assume they did), but wasn't the Troll Lore done afterwards? Or am I remembering wrong?

Edit: haha, nevermind.. it's not in there...
Old 11-06-2007, 09:40 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
I haven't looked yet to see if they put it there (I assume they did), but wasn't the Troll Lore done afterwards? Or am I remembering wrong?

Edit: haha, nevermind.. it's not in there...
The troll section was earlier and followed by the murloc page...I think. Anyway, I'm inclined to agree that if the Warcraft Encyclopedia is going to be updated again it'll probably be for "Wrath of the Lich King" which is a bit of a shame because I was initially excited by the Warcraft Encyclopedia and its potential to serve as database for the franchise. Still, a background reference for expansions is better than nothing.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:56 AM

Eternal

While it's nice for us, I think the Blizzard lore department might have seen it as potentially peeing in their drinking water. It's one thing to have their other resources - stories and books and quests etc can be excused as just popular media and when they go against them, it's no big deal. However the encyclopedia was to serve as purely an information database. You wouldn't go there for a good read; the only purpose behind it is to extrapolate and detail the world, not to entertain. If you violate that information, then, it renders the encyclopedia useless in every capacity. I think the story team's kind of forgotten the "continuity is our golden calf" thing and would see the encyclopedia as a road block to any of the retcons they might want to make later.

And yes, I do think that's how they're thinking now.

And as I've said before, I suspect the encyclopedia (and the Troll Compendium, Road to Damnation, etc) isn't the brainchild of the story team but rather the web team, who have demonstrated, in my opinion, a fairly short attention span.

Last edited by Nephalim; 11-06-2007 at 09:59 AM..
Old 11-06-2007, 10:18 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

If not for the fact that I doubt it would work (plus it'd kind of kill everything you guys have worked towards here) I'd suggest a e-mail petition to let loremasters update the encyclopedia and just have the webteam/dev team review it for problems.

Hell, i'd do it for free, I just wish I had the time/energy/money (to spend on those novels) to do it.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:42 AM

Keeper of Lore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephalim View Post
And as I've said before, I suspect the encyclopedia (and the Troll Compendium, Road to Damnation, etc) isn't the brainchild of the story team but rather the web team, who have demonstrated, in my opinion, a fairly short attention span.
Yup, pretty much.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:48 AM

Loremaster

Didn't GFraizer get pissed at the community on his blog cause they just said they'd use WoWWiki instead?
Old 11-06-2007, 12:52 PM

Keeper of Lore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki View Post
Didn't GFraizer get pissed at the community on his blog cause they just said they'd use WoWWiki instead?
http://www.expectnothing.com/index.p...ory&post=11943
Old 11-06-2007, 01:00 PM

Elune

Quote:
They are getting new information/content they did not have before
Not.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:10 AM

Eternal

Sensible guy, isn´t he?

I remember when he started talking shit about Europeans when Warcraft 3 was at its prime.

Warlock, Lord of Scrolls of Lore: Shut up, Timolas
Old 11-07-2007, 07:50 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
I remember when he started talking shit about Europeans when Warcraft 3 was at its prime.
Why?

Old 11-07-2007, 10:26 AM

Loremaster

Maybe cause Europeans tend to talk shit about America?
Old 11-07-2007, 10:28 AM

Elune

What does that have to do with Warcraft?

Old 11-07-2007, 11:38 AM

Loremaster

I have no idea.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:45 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrah View Post
Why?
Don´t remember exactly but i do know that he had some kind of beef against Warcraft 3 european gamers.

Personally, they were just as bad as the american player base.

Warlock, Lord of Scrolls of Lore: Shut up, Timolas