Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Site News

Old 05-19-2007, 02:34 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephalim View Post
I have this fear that DuGalle will come back and they'll be all "oh you didn't see him get shot. He didn't die."
That would truly be lame. Though one of my greater concerns about the UED is that (assuming they even appear in the new story) hopefully they'll do something to make them unique from the colonial human planets. It was moderately understandable from a development time standpoint not to give them an entirely different tech tree. However, at the same time it never really made logical sense that the earth humans, with access to earth's resources and long-developed governments and infrastructures, would be using the exact same level of technology as the Koprulu humans who had to start from scratch when they arrived on their new homes and whose planets are often only a cut above being uninhabitable wastelands. Supposedly they banished all of the mutating and criminal "undesireables" from earth, so it raises the question of where they got all their own "ghost"-type agents and violent criminals to be rewired into space marines. Plus, their ships and vehicles all had the same sort of "rustic and bolted together' feel as all the Koprulu ships had. Would be kinda cool to find in out that in reality they have shinier, more professional-looking fleets built to look more polished and less slapdash.

Hopefully they'll make use of the other factions too. I'd hate for the Kel'Morian Combine and Umojan Protectorate to become the Gilneas and Kul Tiras of the Starcraft universe, especially since each is said to have played host to their own fully equipped and extensive militaries, though we never saw them actively get involved in the events of SC.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:47 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

I hope the high heels are just a trick of the light... because seriously that's just weird. "I AM THE QUEEN OF BLADES!" *Struts in on high heels, everyone looks around weirdly.)

And I agree that it's Kerrigan and not a hybrid.

Quote:
To tell you the truth, in the demo mission they were playing, I kept thinking the protoss that would pop up and "brief" you was Artanis.
That portrait looks nothing like Artanis, and it's a female (But the voice is male there... um...). It's the Mothership's portrait I think. Unless you're referring to something else.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:01 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScytheRexx View Post
Also, one observation of the cinematic trailer, I think they actually spliced in scenes from what will be the future cinematics.
I have no doubt about that. This was a teaser trailer, not an actual movie.

Also, the thing fighting probably Zeratul could easily be some other zerg.

Last edited by Nephalim; 05-19-2007 at 03:04 PM..
Old 05-19-2007, 03:08 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

With arms and legs?
Old 05-19-2007, 03:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Dunno how any of you can make out anything in that fraction of a second we see a Protoss we assume is Zeratul.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:16 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
That portrait looks nothing like Artanis, and it's a female (But the voice is male there... um...).
Its a male voice because the guy in the portait is male, I don't see how you get female out of him at all. He appears long before the "mothership" appears.

Quote:
It's the Mothership's portrait I think. Unless you're referring to something else.
I am talking about the "Protoss Commander" that appears constantly throughout the gameplay missions, the only thing that does not make me think of Artanis is his greeting, which was the classic En Taro Adun, though he makes up for it later when he says En Taro Tassadar after blackholing those cruisers.

Actually I see what you mean now since the Mothership did use him as the portrait, but that could have been a placeholder, that is more likely then grabbing some deep voiced korean to so the voice in the much more important mission briefings.

Last edited by ScytheRexx; 05-19-2007 at 03:28 PM..
Old 05-19-2007, 03:51 PM

Sentinel Queen

heheheh

Try pausing the cinematic trailer during the first few seconds (before the Blizz logo appears).. see if you can find the secret picture
Old 05-19-2007, 03:53 PM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

What's the secret image? The Arbiter vortex thing?
Old 05-19-2007, 03:57 PM

Sentinel Queen

it's a photo of blizz staff having a party

edit: hmm, is it possible to take screens from videos with the newest Windows Media Player? I can't seem to do it even with video acceleration off (worked before for the older version)

edit2: nevermind, works now

edit3:

^_^

Last edited by Tysar; 05-19-2007 at 04:21 PM..
Old 05-19-2007, 04:03 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
I am talking about the "Protoss Commander" that appears constantly throughout the gameplay missions, the only thing that does not make me think of Artanis is his greeting, which was the classic En Taro Adun, though he makes up for it later when he says En Taro Tassadar after blackholing those cruisers.
What about the fact that he doesn't look a thing like Artanis? =P Hm, actually maybe the commander photo is a placeholder too.

But yeah, alot of placeholders. Except for the mothership every single protoss unit has the same portrait. (I think it's the zealot's)

Quote:
Dunno how any of you can make out anything in that fraction of a second we see a Protoss we assume is Zeratul.
Download it and hit the pause button?

Last edited by Aldrius; 05-19-2007 at 04:09 PM..
Old 05-19-2007, 05:20 PM

Eternal

Quote:
EDIT: Is this Mengsk and Nova?
There´s an artwork of a City with the sign of the Sons of Korhal with statues of the old man there, so it´s safe to assume it´s Mengsk.

The ghost chick i don´t know, i don´t remember well but wasn´t Nova supossed to be in the Sons of Korhal faction?

Also, Kerrigan is hot.

Warlock, Lord of Scrolls of Lore: Shut up, Timolas

Last edited by Vicious; 05-19-2007 at 06:26 PM..
Old 05-19-2007, 06:06 PM

Loremaster

Mengsk was 38 I believe at the start of Starcraft, so he'd have to have aged a little bit to look that old. Though leadership and stress can do that to you. For example look how old it's made President Bush since he first took office.

Also, if Sarah Kerrigan came walking up to me with stilletos (sp) I'de faint literally

Last edited by Kenzuki; 05-19-2007 at 06:09 PM..
Old 05-19-2007, 07:09 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
What about the fact that he doesn't look a thing like Artanis? =P Hm, actually maybe the commander photo is a placeholder too.
Possible.

I don't see why you are so set on the fact he does not look the same as Artanis, considering the only times we see Artanis are in a small little box and a crude (yet great for its time) cinematic.

Look at RAYNOR for instance, the guy still shows the personality but looks nothing like the balding hick portrait we see of him from StarCraft, so why can't Artanis become "more" badass with armor and such?
Old 05-19-2007, 07:36 PM

Loremaster

Jim Raynor is hot....I could see Hugh Jackman playing him in a movie.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:55 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScytheRexx View Post
Possible.

I don't see why you are so set on the fact he does not look the same as Artanis, considering the only times we see Artanis are in a small little box and a crude (yet great for its time) cinematic.

Look at RAYNOR for instance, the guy still shows the personality but looks nothing like the balding hick portrait we see of him from StarCraft, so why can't Artanis become "more" badass with armor and such?
I'm not that against it being Artanis. It's just if it is, it's not a very accurate picture of him, and one of the things I liked about him was his design.

Nothing to do with armor. Has everything to do with the shape of his face. I'm all for Artanis getting awesome gold battle-armor and other things to make him look more adult and tough. (Loved his character development in Brood War) I just doubt it's him.

Last edited by Aldrius; 05-19-2007 at 09:58 PM..
Old 05-19-2007, 10:52 PM

Priestess of the Moon

If it is Artanis, it does look completely different to him. So yeah, it could be him, or it might just be another random protoss guy (I assume they are releasing more storyline characters.) And it definetly looks like Zeratuel is fighting a hybrid, which makes sense - at the end of Brood War he was pretty much the only one who knew what was happening behind the scenes.

I wonder if Duran will come back...
Old 05-19-2007, 10:57 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Er... the most common speculation is he's fighting Kerrigan (who I guess is a Hybrid in her own right. ) and not a Protoss/Zerg Hybrid. =S

Just so you know. Feel free to speculate.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:32 AM

Eternal

Well seriously, the list of survivors is so meager it's probable that everyone who survived Brood War will make an appearance.

Also, we get, in no capacity, a clear shot of what Zeratul is fighting.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:14 AM

Loremaster

Seems like assuming anything we see is a hybrid without spoken approval from the game or Blizz is jumping the gun. Especially since there could be any number of new, strange-looking Zerg strains introduced in the form of new units. There's no telling what sort of physical traits might manifest, and the only actual hybrids we've "seen" were generic stasis tank doodads in Brood War's hidden mission. For all we know, there might not actually be any in existence yet. Despite his supposedly numerous research facilities, Duran still might lack some vital ingredient for the final hybridization to succeed.

Besides, the whole idea of the hybrids as some grand threat is based wholly on the assumption that they'll actually be some sort of "perfect" being or at the very least, some kind of super-race. That was all derived from the beliefs of the Xel'Naga, and so far both of their known efforts to engineer races to their predesigned desires were ultimately failures due to their own short-sightedness and inability to accept that their intentions could be flawed from the start. They went from one extreme to the other, opting for purity of essence after thier failed attempt at creating a purity of form. They didn't even necessarily engineer the Protoss and Zerg with the intention of someday smashing them together and whipping up a successful result from the two lesser projects. It seemed like they pretty much wrote off the Protoss entirely.

There also seems some tendency to assume that somehow the Xel'Naga are now a malicious force, when the indications in their backstory are that they had good intentions in what they did (or at least the amorality of clinical, somewhat detached scientific curiosity). If they really had some sinister plan behind their efforts to engineer biological perfection, then it seems like they'd have purged the Protoss when it became clear that they had failed on Aiur, rather than lament the actions of their "children" and simply depart sadly to embark on thier next endeavor.

Last edited by ARM3481; 05-20-2007 at 02:16 AM..
Old 05-20-2007, 03:57 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Hmm... I've heard rumors that SC2 Internet Play is going to cost monthly.

I hope Blizzard isn't that stupid.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:44 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrah View Post
Hmm... I've heard rumors that SC2 Internet Play is going to cost monthly.
They are putting it on Battle.net, which has never held a fee, as they get money on advertising, and you know tons of companies are going to pay for those banner space for this game.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:07 AM

Ranger

It would be stupid to charge for a non-mmorpg anyway.

Also, Timolas, get on MSN.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:12 AM

Eternal

Yeah, there's no need to charge for battle.net, and if they did, it would piss a lot of people off. I mean, it's one thing to charge for an MMO, which is hardly a precedent, but they've had battle.net going for ten years and have yet to charge for it.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:14 AM

Priestess of the Moon

While the Xel`naga had never been mentioned as being malacious in any form, Duran however was most definetly not a good guy, and he was not human. the scope of his manipulation as well suggests that there is a great plan in the works. If he wasn't working with the Xel`naga, there is someone else in the great void who wishes to betroy harm on the major civilisations - and it could be someone completely random, no reason why not.

Not to mention, it was said in the final movie of brood war that despite Kerrigan's victories, she still felt unsettled for reasons unknown. (Am completely paraphrasing here.) Going by all those points, it does suggets that there is something else out there, and it will become a threat. Whether or not that will happen in starcraft 2 remains to be seen, but I can't actually see Blizzard making another game where the struggle is just focused primarily on the three races. With every game they have expanded their scope (with the real exception of Warcraft 1 and 2, and that did add alot more elves and dwarves and so forth.)
Old 05-20-2007, 11:58 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Well, Duran was not necessarily a 'bad guy' when he showed up in Dark Origins no more than he was a 'good guy' when the UED found him, or a 'bad guy' when he teamed up with Kerrigan. He wound up being ambivilent. Someone who considers himself and his experiments to be beyond the scope of Zeratul or Kerrigan's understanding. We don't know who he really is, or what his goals are, but I'm sure we're going to find out.

Oh, and we know so very little about the Xel'Naga or what the purpose behind their experiments were, don't we? I can't remember if there's any mention of why they were doing these things in the manual.