Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > Diablo Discussion

Old 01-30-2016, 01:43 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Default My Thoughts on D3

Diablo 3 going to $20 convinced me to buy it. I have mixed feelings toward the franchise; I can't deny it's fun. There's something satisfying about wading into a horde of enemies and annihilating them. At the same time, it always ends up feeling a bit bland.

As someone who's too impatient to really do the number-cruching needed to optimize character, the Diablo series fundamentally comes down to cheap thrills for me.

I'm toward the end of Act 2. So far, I'm happy. I actually love the new art style. The settings are stunning, and make me wish there was more to the game. Wandering around and hearing snippets of conversation is also fun; I like it when the game reflects your actions, even if only to a limited degree.

But holy crap, this game is easy. I haven't died a single time, and I've already raised the difficulty. If I do another play through, I'll put it on one of the higher levels.

I'm playing the Monk, whose personality is rather tiresome. I hear that the Witch Doctor is more likable, so I'll probably play one of them next time. The banter with the other characters is entertaining, however.

Khejistan is interesting. Seems like there's a major cultural difference between the region around Kurast (Mayan) and Caldeum (Turkish/Persian). This sort of thing wasn't necessarily unusual in a medieval empire, though I'd have been curious to learn more about this, especially how a culturally distinct Kurasti nobility mingles with the society of Caldeum.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 01-30-2016, 01:50 AM

Arch-Druid

Orb of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
But holy crap, this game is easy. I haven't died a single time, and I've already raised the difficulty. If I do another play through, I'll put it on one of the higher levels.
It should be as they don't want a repeat of release-Inferno. The difficulty comes when you're pushing higher level Greater Rifts if you're fully geared, and pushing torment levels to find gear if you don't have a set complete.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:13 AM

World Builder

Glad you're enjoying it, it's a fun little game.

Try wizard sometime, they're pretty fun.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 01-30-2016, 03:11 AM

Eternal

Quote:
I'm playing the Monk, whose personality is rather tiresome. I hear that the Witch Doctor is more likable, so I'll probably play one of them next time. The banter with the other characters is entertaining, however.
Get the expansion and try the Crusader. He/She has a great personality. Very laid back and a great sense of dry humor. Totally not what you would expect from a holy warrior. I was very meh about the class at first, but the personality alone completely won me over.
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 01-30-2016, 07:10 AM

Eternal

The only entertaining heroes are female barbarian and wizard. They also happen to be the ones with the best character design in the game.

Really complaining about the game being easy? Okay.

Allow me to sing you the song of difficulty as i spam every affix imaginable on you while you are helpless to fight back.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:38 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
The only entertaining heroes are female barbarian and wizard. They also happen to be the ones with the best character design in the game.

Really complaining about the game being easy? Okay.

Allow me to sing you the song of difficulty as i spam every affix imaginable on you while you are helpless to fight back.
I'm doing single-player. It's very, very easy, though Malygos was saying there was a reason for that.

Easy isn't really a bad thing, I'm just surprised. As someone who's a mediocre gamer at best, it's pretty unusual that I can get this far without dying a single time. Hell, I haven't even been in a real threat at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
Get the expansion and try the Crusader. He/She has a great personality. Very laid back and a great sense of dry humor. Totally not what you would expect from a holy warrior. I was very meh about the class at first, but the personality alone completely won me over.
Cool. I'm tired of the stoic badass archetype.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 01-30-2016, 09:52 AM

World Builder

It doesn't get harder really, you can crank up the difficulty pretty high and once you've got drops from the newly difficult enemies you'll cut through them like a hot knife through butter.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 01-30-2016, 10:04 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

That's why you have to go into the higher Grifts.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:03 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
That's why you have to go into the higher Grifts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
It doesn't get harder really, you can crank up the difficulty pretty high and once you've got drops from the newly difficult enemies you'll cut through them like a hot knife through butter.
How does this work, exactly? Is there really no way to increase the challenge? If that's the case, I'm unlikely to play it again. Seriously, Diablo 3 is about as intense as a fluffy kitten at this point.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:04 AM

World Builder

Quote:
How does this work, exactly? Is there really no way to increase the challenge? If that's the case, I'm unlikely to play it again. Seriously, Diablo 3 is about as intense as a fluffy kitten at this point.
You can increase the challenge but you -really- have to get up there into the difficulty levels.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 01-30-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Well, there's torment 1 - 10, but you have to beat the game first to unlock torment, afaik.

Then, upon reaching level 70, you can go into adventure mode and do greater rifts, whose difficulties go beyond torment 10.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:19 AM

Elune

Huh, okay. I'm going to have to read up on how all this works.

Just seems like there's a problem when I'm entering the shadowy domain of absolute evil, and feel no tension whatsoever because a million bad guys can't even bring my health down to 50%.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:50 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Just seems like there's a problem when I'm entering the shadowy domain of absolute evil, and feel no tension whatsoever because a million bad guys can't even bring my health down to 50%.
Don't worry. They will once you get into higher Torment levels.
Out of curiosity, what difficulty are you playing the campaign on? And are you playing a seasonal character or a normal one?
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 01-30-2016, 05:04 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
Don't worry. They will once you get into higher Torment levels.
Out of curiosity, what difficulty are you playing the campaign on? And are you playing a seasonal character or a normal one?
I'm playing on Difficult, at the moment. Seasonal's only for RoS characters, right? I haven't bought the expansion.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I'm playing on Difficult, at the moment. Seasonal's only for RoS characters, right? I haven't bought the expansion.
Difficult? Must be a vanilla thing.

These are the RoS difficulties:
  • Normal: 100% Health, 100% Damage, 0% extra gold bonus, 0% extra XP bonus
  • Hard: 200% Health, 130% Damage, 75% extra gold bonus, 75% extra XP bonus
  • Expert: 320% Health, 189% Damage, 100% extra gold bonus, 100% extra XP bonus
  • Master: 512% Health, 273% Damage, 200% extra gold bonus, 200% extra XP bonus
  • Torment I: 819% Health, 396% Damage, 300% extra gold bonus, 300% extra XP bonus
  • Torment II: 1311% Health, 575% Damage, 400% extra gold bonus, 400% extra XP bonus
  • Torment III: 2097% Health, 833% Damage, 550% extra gold bonus, 550% extra XP bonus
  • Torment IV: 3355% Health, 1208% Damage, 800% extra gold bonus, 800% extra XP bonus
  • Torment V: 5369% Health, 1752% Damage, 1150% extra gold bonus, 1150% extra XP bonus
  • Torment VI: 8590% Health, 2540% Damage, 1600% extra gold bonus, 1600% extra XP bonus
  • Torment VII: 18985% Health, 3604% Damage, 1700% extra gold bonus, 1900% extra XP bonus
  • Torment VIII: 41625% Health, 5097% Damage, 1800% extra gold bonus, 2300% extra XP bonus
  • Torment IX: 91260% Health, 7208% Damage, 1900% extra gold bonus, 2750% extra XP bonus
  • Torment X: 200082% Health, 10194% Damage, 2000% extra gold bonus, 3300% extra XP bonus
Old 01-30-2016, 05:33 PM

Elune

The story goes awry in the last two chapters. Reaper of Souls is excellent though.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:39 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
The story goes awry in the last two chapters. Reaper of Souls is excellent though.
I haven't really been blown away by the story so far, but story isn't why I play Diablo.

The opening to Act 3 is pretty badass. It's actually getting a bit tougher, and that was a really cool set piece. Starting to feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:41 PM

Eternal

Act 3 is the high point. For Act 5 the high point is the moment you get into westmarch then falls faster than you can say "literally who?" the very moment you leave.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:09 PM

Elune

I'm in Act 4. It's going well, though the High Heavens look a little too much like a colorless Aiur.

Already knew about Leah turning into Diablo, though I didn't really care that much about her (she seemed nice, but never got a good feel for her personality, so meh). Honestly, I was more affected by the bereaved woman and the slain old couple in Bastion's Keep.

Act 3 was mostly to my satisfaction. I didn't find Bastion's Keep as interesting as Caldeum (it felt too much like the ruined castles in Act 1), but that's a fairly petty thing to complain about. Overall, quite good.

Oh, and I did die once in Act 3. Felt almost like an accomplishment. Dying in Diablo 3 is almost as tough as dying in Planescape: Torment.

Last edited by HlaaluStyle; 01-31-2016 at 12:12 PM..
Old 01-31-2016, 01:37 PM

The Digger

I never really cared for D3 until recently. Then I learned that it's a great game to play when I'm high out of my mind and easily immersed. Never thought I'd reach the point in my life when I was mentally freewriting the backstory and character of a crusader who had come to a partial (though still quite madness-inducing) realization of how he exists in the nihilistic and ultimately meaningless dopamine-dispensing purgatory that is adventure mode.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:12 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
I never really cared for D3 until recently. Then I learned that it's a great game to play when I'm high out of my mind and easily immersed. Never thought I'd reach the point in my life when I was mentally freewriting the backstory and character of a crusader who had come to a partial (though still quite madness-inducing) realization of how he exists in the nihilistic and ultimately meaningless dopamine-dispensing purgatory that is adventure mode.
I usually cook up a backstory for the character, but I just don't find the monk very inspiring. May do so with a different character.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:22 PM

Elune

Okay, started a new game on Master difficulty as the witch doctor. A lot more fun, so far. I actually have to think about my approach, and the monsters can hurt me.

Just wish the witch doctor had better posture.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:42 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Okay, started a new game on Master difficulty as the witch doctor. A lot more fun, so far. I actually have to think about my approach, and the monsters can hurt me.

Just wish the witch doctor had better posture.
Agreed! All the others are in their physical prime but poor Nazeebo is a wrinkled old man

Even barbarian doesn't hunch despite being almost as old

My Worldbuilding:
Old 02-02-2016, 09:56 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Agreed! All the others are in their physical prime but poor Nazeebo is a wrinkled old man

Even barbarian doesn't hunch despite being almost as old
I chose a male monk last time, so I picked a female witch doctor for this game. She's a lot younger, so I don't know what her excuse is.

Ballroom dancing did wonders for my posture. The witch doctors of Diablo 3 should consider it, is all I'm saying.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:35 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
The only entertaining heroes are female barbarian and wizard.
The guy Witchdoctor man, his VO is phenomenal and he's just a great character (I haven't played lady witchdoctor, but I'm sure she's got similar panache).

Even better is when you play Witchdoctor with the Enchantress. They have some of my favorite conversations the game has to offer. Highly recommend.

Tags
diablo, diablo iii