Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 05-18-2014, 09:59 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
Before BotH I'd have said SWP was a new structure the blood elves had built around the old Sunwell Grove, but it was apparently a full-fledged plateau all along (Dar'Khan went there in BotH to kill the Convocation), so eh. Maybe the plateau was a separate complex before it got demolished, and was re-constructed around the old grove.
Maybe :/ It conflicts with the scene depicted in the trailer (which is also depicted in BotH), in which Kael'thas and company destroy the Sunwell.

It is confusing. My bet is that the chamber itself (but not the sorrounding buildings) is new (as it depicts K'J), but it was originally a walled Sunwell grove.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 05-19-2014, 06:01 PM

Revenant - Moderator

I have trouble reconciling that too. My current head-canon/fanon is that the entire structure was new in TBC, but the Dead Scar rotted the new buildings.

BotH putting the plateau buildings there... I dunno.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.

Last edited by Revenant; 05-19-2014 at 06:04 PM..
Old 05-19-2014, 06:19 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
I have trouble reconciling that too. My current head-canon/fanon is that the entire structure was new in TBC, but the Dead Scar rotted the new buildings.

BotH putting the plateau buildings there... I dunno.
Maybe the grove was located in the Plateau, but was sorrounded by the "southern walled garden" (now divided by the Dead Scar) and Parhelion Plaza to the west.

After the grove explode, Kael'thas could have built the chamber that now contains the Sunwell.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 05-23-2014, 09:08 AM

Elune

I'm reading Blood of the Highborne right now.

I think I have an answer for the changing depictions of the Sunwell and the Grove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood of the Highborne, Chapter #3
One by one the Farstriders, the healers, and finally the magisters and Kael'thas himself dissappeared as the blinding white beam exploded outward, vaporizing everything and everyone in its path.

And when it dissipated, it left nothing of the Sunwell but a dark and empty hole.
It matches with the manga depiction:

If we add the fact that the raid shows a pristine chamber, depicting Kil'jaeden, while parts of the complex are crumbling ruins (and even depict construction laders), it points to the fact that at least the modern chamber we see in-game is... modern, new, and was not originally present.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 05-23-2014, 09:35 AM

Arch-Druid

Nice, though Lor'themar finding it like this during the invasion is still a bit of a hole.

Minor retcon? It fits pretty well save for that one panel.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:10 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
Nice, though Lor'themar finding it like this during the invasion is still a bit of a hole.

Minor retcon? It fits pretty well save for that one panel.
That whole scene has been retconed. In the manga and old con, Dar'Khan destroyed the Sunwell by accident. In the new con (from WotLK to present), it was Kael'thas who destroyed it, teleporting everyone (Lor'themar included) before the explotion.

The thing I love of Blood of the Highborne is that is explains the apparent non-sensical trailer of Fury of the Sunwell. When the trailer was released, I hated that they depicted Kael'thas as present in Quel'thalas when the Sunwell fell; now, we know the trailer depicted Kael's ritual to denotate the magical fountain.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 05-23-2014, 11:10 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
That whole scene has been retconed. In the manga and old con, Dar'Khan destroyed the Sunwell by accident. In the new con (from WotLK to present), it was Kael'thas who destroyed it, teleporting everyone (Lor'themar included) before the explotion.

The thing I love of Blood of the Highborne is that is explains the apparent non-sensical trailer of Fury of the Sunwell. When the trailer was released, I hated that they depicted Kael'thas as present in Quel'thalas when the Sunwell fell; now, we know the trailer depicted Kael's ritual to denotate the magical fountain.
...How did he destroy it by accident? B.R.B. ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:20 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshadow View Post
...How did he destroy it by accident? B.R.B. ?
This is The Warcraft Encyclopedia recaunting the old -con.

As the undead armies closed in on the Sunwell, a high elf named Dar'Khan Drathir aided Arthas by lowering the shields surrounding the Sunwell. In betraying the high elves, Dar'Khan hoped to gain the favor of the Lich King. However, the most immediate result of his treachery was an explosion that knocked him unconscious and scattered most of the Sunwell's powers.

The wizard Borel sensed the mystical energy being unleashed and succeeded in trapping a portion of it inside an avatar disguised as a young human girl, Anveena. Unaware of Borel's deed, Arthas then used the remaining energies of the Sunwell to reanimate the spirit of Kel'Thuzad in the form of a nightmarish lich. The Sunwell was left defiled and drained of all its magic.

In the manga, Dar'Khan was distracted by some elves and when he tried to re-cast, the Sunwell went BOOM!

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 06-05-2014, 11:18 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

So. Today I resubbed to WoW.

After my computer broke down a week or so after Blizzcon, I stopped paying attention to WoD news. I now need to be brought up to speed on WoD's lore, including the events of War Crimes. I only vaguely know that Garrosh was pardoned, escaped to the past somehow and started up the iron horde. I'm really interested in other possible storylines and major characters, so basically: gimme the sparknotes.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:31 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post

After my computer broke down a week or so after Blizzcon, I stopped paying attention to WoD news. I now need to be brought up to speed on WoD's lore, including the events of War Crimes. I only vaguely know that Garrosh was pardoned, escaped to the past somehow and started up the iron horde. I'm really interested in other possible storylines and major characters, so basically: gimme the sparknotes.
Garrosh was not pardoned; instead, his followers (and Kairoz and Wrathion) engineered his escape through a wormhole.

There's some stuff involving Durotan Horde-side, and some stuff involving Velen dying Alliance-side.

QQ Horde bias, you know the drill, phat l00t, etc.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:39 PM

Warden

Garrosh escaped with the help of the Dragonmaw and the Infinite Dragonflight.
Kairoz is allied with Wrathion. Somehow they think that having a new Horde from the past invading MU Azeroth is going to help a lot when the time comes and the planet has to face the Burning Legion again.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia View Post
Garrosh was not pardoned; instead, his followers (and Kairoz and Wrathion) engineered his escape through a wormhole.

There's some stuff involving Durotan Horde-side, and some stuff involving Velen dying Alliance-side.

QQ Horde bias, you know the drill, phat l00t, etc.
And why are Kairoz and Wrathion helping him?
Old 06-06-2014, 12:20 AM

Elune

Quote:
And why are Kairoz and Wrathion helping him?
Kairoz? According to Chromie, a growing faction of discontent within the Bronze dragons believes they should change history to make a better future, though Chromie isn't sure herself what a better future even is now that they can no longer see history with clarity following Deathwing's defeat. So Kairoz is one of them.

Wrathion? He said it's thanks to Anduin inspiring him to change the world and he thinks that in the end this will be the best for Azeroth.

As for other storylines going on, Ner'zhul and the Shadowmoons are using the Void through a darkened naaru named K'ara. Shadowmoon Valley ends with alternate Velen sacrificing himself to turn K'ara back to the light.

At some point Drek'Thar merges with a fire elemental.

Chief Fenris of the Thunderlord clan is Durotan's brother who he thought was dead.

Gul'dan and the Shadow Council are doing stuff. Cho'gall is at Oshu'gun and Teron is at Auchindoun. Alternate Garona attacks Khadgar.

The high arakkoa worship the sun and are going to burn the earth with what basically amounts to a big magnifying glass burning ants. The cursed arakkoa worship Anzu and the old god Sethe, and we seem to ally with them against the sun ones.

Last edited by Reignac; 06-06-2014 at 12:27 AM..
Old 06-06-2014, 12:26 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignac View Post

The high arakkoa worship the sun and are going to burn the earth with what basically amounts to a big magnifying glass burning ants. The cursed arakkoa worship Anzu and the old god Sethe, and we seem to ally with them against the sun ones.
I'm pretty sure the fact that we are allying with an Old God and his minions to defeat someone else is pretty fucking ironic. Especially, since on the Outland, we do our best to kill the cursed Arakkoa/Anzu.
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 06-06-2014, 03:19 AM

Warden

So the Sethekk got retconned into being servants of the now official Old God of Draenor Sethe instead of following that nonsense of Darkfire or something like that and Ikiss just being "I am Terokk" right?

At least now all the talk about Anzu and the Old Gods makes sense.

Now, the high arakkoa follow the Light or they use arcane/spirit/elemental magic?

Last edited by Whitrix; 06-06-2014 at 03:23 AM..
Old 06-06-2014, 04:53 AM

Alright, so we got Orc and Arakkoa lore. Any lore for any of the other Draenic species? Ogres? I know we saw a lotta new Gronn models. Sporelings?
Old 06-06-2014, 05:01 AM

Elune

Quote:
Alright, so we got Orc and Arakkoa lore. Any lore for any of the other Draenic species? Ogres? I know we saw a lotta new Gronn models. Sporelings?
The orcish lineage has been expanded.

We now have ogronns (ogre-like gronn, with straight backs) and gronnlings (seem to be either baby-gronn or a less-inteligent caste of gronn).

Fomors were revealed, but they're lineage is not clear (I believe they are the mid-link between gronn and grom).

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 06-06-2014, 05:50 AM

Elune

Don't forget those adorable frog-like element-eater guys, who also seem to be related.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:52 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Don't forget those adorable frog-like element-eater guys, who also seem to be related.
So many orc relatives can only mean that storm giants will somehow turn out to be part of the human family tree, as will earthen, fire giants and all the others that remotely resemble them. Besides gnomes, that is. Those are their robot servants, after all.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:58 AM

Aren't humans already related to storm giants and earthen?

Also where do Ettin fit into this? And with the proliferation of gronn, do we know if they have their own society? Do they fit into ogre society somehow?
Old 06-06-2014, 11:06 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

We have little idea how Ettin fit into things.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:16 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, but I meant more closely.

Quote:
Also where do Ettin fit into this? And with the proliferation of gronn, do we know if they have their own society? Do they fit into ogre society somehow?
We only know that they evolved from ogres long enough ago for there to be fossils on Outland.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:16 AM

Elune

Quote:
Same creators and presumably a similar mechanism, but no common ancestors.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:05 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:

Not that much has come out.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:19 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitrix View Post
So the Sethekk got retconned into being servants of the now official Old God of Draenor Sethe instead of following that nonsense of Darkfire or something like that and Ikiss just being "I am Terokk" right?
The Sethekk worshiping the Old God was established a few years ago:
Who is the arakkoa "master" that Isfar talks about? It is not Terokk…
There are more Old Gods than just the ones trapped on Azeroth. It takes a lot for them to become manifested on a physical plane, however; see the quest line in Shadowmoon Valley that ends with "Thwart the Dark Conclave" for more information.

They never worshiped Ikiss, he just claimed he was Terokk, and they went along with that because all arakkoa revere Tetrokk as their greatest king.

Quote:
Now, the high arakkoa follow the Light or they use arcane/spirit/elemental magic?
Fire and wind magic. Everything else, especially dark magic, is actually outlawed and the punishment for being caught with it is exile.

Tags
isn't taran zhu dead?, lore, newbie, where are illidans pants