Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 01-13-2014, 09:50 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom The Actually Official Scrolls of Lore Fanfiction: As Was Foretold

Squatting like the ripe carcass of a toad on the shores of once-gleaming Lake Knostaldia, mighty Sol, the city of ten thousand cesspits has fallen upon hard times.

Whatever good old days it might have known are long since passed. Where and when the decline began is a matter of occasional, half-hearted speculation. Some say it was the death of Good Lord Nyorloth at the hands of Bluecoat assassins. Others say that subsequent to the Great War the city was overcome with a suffocating apathy that would become its undoing. It is certain, however, that the steady deterioration came to a head with the coronation of the Slow King Polk.

Words fail to describe the King Polk's reign of terror. First came the Purge of the Senates, where dozens of the city's leading politicians were slaughtered. Then came the Bloodletting, and countless noble and aristocratic families were wiped out. Protests were crushed without mercy and resistance was met with the full force of the Palace Guard. A force of secret police was established, answerable only to the King.

At last, when he stood alone atop a mountain of bodies, the only civil and military authority left in the city, the Slow King settled down to enjoy his sovereignty. The austere Castle Wretkhan, proud and historic domicile of generations of past monarchs, was transfigured under the Slow Polk's twisted hand into a horrifying temple to carnality. No vice, no desire, no deranged passion was denied the unchallenged ruler of Sol, who assembled about himself a band of charlatans, whores and sycophants in sick mockery of the royal court and nobility he had deposed.

But it is a fact of human indefatigability that no tyrant, however cruel and powerful, can abuse his rule for long without stirring the wrath of his subjects. A small but determined band of revolutionaries gather in the shadows of fallen Sol, plotting the end of Polk's life and the restoration of Sol's tarnished glory.

And with them our story begins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.

Last edited by Anansi; 03-18-2015 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: Wretkhan'd!
Old 01-13-2014, 09:54 PM

Elune

Do we get to be characters in this one too?
Old 01-13-2014, 09:55 PM

Elune

Hey I got the official thing first! Get another good title!
Old 01-13-2014, 09:58 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

This is the Original Scrolls of Lore fanfiction. Before now, the story has existed only in a crappy first draft shared with only a few individuals, but with upstart whippersnappers such as certain unnamed parties getting IDEAS, I have been roused to action! The Allegory's time has come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Do we get to be characters in this one too?
You will see a great many familiar faces over the course of this story.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-13-2014, 10:03 PM

Elune

I think Trickster might portray me better though but we will see.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:04 PM

Needs A Hug

I actually enjoyed reading that.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:05 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post
I actually enjoyed reading that.
Spoiler: You have literally the best role in the later story.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-14-2014, 06:59 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Sol, the city of ten thousand cesspits, squats like an expired toad on the shores of the once-gleaming Lake Knostaldia, fed now by the putrid Warkraught River. There are some who say it was once a beautiful metropolis of noble, enlightened migrants from the motherland of Warforum, but in these dark times few can bring themselves to believe those tales.

If Sol ever had any good old days, they have long since passed. Some mark the precipice of the city’s decline as the date when Good Lord Nyorloth was assassinated by Bluecoats connected to the Royal House of Metzen. Others hold that it was the controversial political marriage of House Metzen to House Kosak which marked the beginning of the end. Still others lament the pollution of the Warkraught River, which in its effluence ultimately contaminated the precious waters of Knostaldia. All, however, agree that times have never been worse than they are now, now that the city languishes beneath the decadent tyranny of he who they call King Polk the Slow.

Polk’s rise to power followed a rash of deaths throughout the royal family of King Xie the Magnificent, culminating in a tragic accident involving a pair of salad forks which claimed the monarch’s own life. With no closer heir left alive, the crown of Sol fell to Xie's distant cousin Polk.

For a time the marginally corrupt and generally dysfunctional Twin Senates treated their sovereign with a casual disdain, for Polk quickly gained a reputation as extraordinarily soft-headed. It was fashionable in court to make a nonsense of his unfortunate speech impediment and wandering thoughts, and it took most people very little time indeed to forget the trail of corpses which had led him to the throne.

Needless to say, they were sharply reminded when one day, without warning, King Polk led a bloody purge of the Twin Senate and greater Sol aristocracy, killing indiscriminately and ransacking the ostentatious manors and palaces of the city. Few escaped the initial onslaught and even fewer survived the following days. Polk transformed the stately Castle Wretkhan into a madhouse, desecrated by heaps and pools of human refuse and populated by the most unsavory characters imaginable. Broad swathes of the city’s gentry were declared enemies of the state and hunted down for execution or enslavement to the king's and his court's twisted whim.

There follows now a reign of terror and madness. The skies themselves weep for the sorry fate of wretched Sol and the gutters vomit their roughage in disgust. Sol declines, as many had doubted it ever could, still further.

Yet there are some who resist. They flit among the shadows, meeting in secret dens and back rooms, scheming of murder and rebellion. They plot the end of Polk’s life and the restoration of Sol’s tarnished glory.

This is to be their story.
This is an awesome idea, I wonder if you have anything in store for me? (please don't forget me!!!!)
Old 06-28-2015, 11:36 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Sequel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:24 AM

Problemsolver

This is the Actually Official Scrolls of Lore Fanfiction Thread, not the Actually Official Thread for Fanfiction by members of Scrolls of Lore.

It's the thread where Anansi can live out his film noir SoL dreams.

I'd also like to take the the opportunity to agree with Noitora and shout out for a continuation of the grungy gangster drama.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:27 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
This is the Actually Official Scrolls of Lore Fanfiction Thread, not the Actually Official Thread for Fanfiction by members of Scrolls of Lore.

It's the thread where Anansi can live out his film noir SoL dreams.

I'd also like to take the the opportunity to agree with Noitora and shout out for a continuation of the grungy gangster drama.
This thread has an extremely deceptive title to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:09 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Panda

Continuation pls?
Old 07-28-2015, 10:17 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Exclamation Retcon in Progress

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-28-2015, 12:02 PM

Master Worldbuilder

It is hard to be inconspicuous in a nearly empty bar, and every eye excepting those of the comatose 'half-elf' turned to the pair in the corner. The newcomer glared back at them, and eventually they returned to their business, such as it was.

The newcomer pulled his hood back from his luscious golden locks and peered into the darkness where his contact waited. The Pink Hat blinked back at him. He took that as a challenge to his masculinity and said gruffly "What are you looking at?"

A slightly high-pitched voice responded. "You. I think you wanted to talk to us?"

The tenor of the Pink Hat's voice set the revolutionary at ease. He was still the manliest man in the room. He relaxed. "Yeah. About that. You know what we're trying to do?"

"Your organization is unhappy with our current monarch."

"We want him dead," growled the revolutionary, whose name was Iaska. "And it sounds like you lot have something we can use to do it."

"Maybe." A pink mouth lined with disturbingly sharp teeth yawned in the darkness, and the gangster leaned forward across the table. He seemed entirely unremarkable in the full light - just another dirty street urchin barely off the tit. His eyes were a dull brown and his smile betrayed nothing more than the stupid arrogance of a kid who joined a gang and thought that made him hot shit.

Mighty Iaska smirked his superiority. "Tell me."

"Hey, wait. First I need to know what you can do for us."

Unfortunately, at that moment something exploded in the street outside. The windows of the bar were blown inward and the door was blasted off its hinges. Kerrah threw himself behind the bar and the band scattered. The Red Lady was nowhere to be seen. Iaska reflexively threw up an arm against the debris, and when he turned back to his contact the Pink Hat had slid back into the shadows.

"We've been compromised!" the gangster hissed, slit eyes glowing yellow. "I won't do business with fools who can't cover their tracks!" He blinked and was gone.

The two musicians legged it for a back exit somewhere behind the bar, with Kerrah dragging the still senseless 'half-elf' not far behind. Iaska stumbled to his feet and lurched for the door. Retreat was for cowards, and he wanted to have a word with whoever had interrupted his business.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-30-2015, 10:33 AM

Master Worldbuilder

It was in all the papers, which is to say it was in the only paper the king allowed to print and which was staffed by a well-paid team of sycophants. "Anarchist Attack Thwarted!" A bomb had been detonated on the fringe of Lordaeron Town, but by the valiant efforts of the king's royal police force the culprits had been apprehended with hardly any innocent bystanders getting horribly murdered in the process.

"And look," Mrs Salad said. "It says here one of the prisoners is believed to have revolutionary ties!"

Her husband gave a non-committal grunt from the kitchen. Mrs Salad turned a page as she waited for her breakfast.

"You used to be with the police - did you ever catch any terrorists?" she called out.

"Ner," came the response.

"I can't imagine you were a very good police officer, then." She turned a page. "It looks like Dr Bolvar has reopened the Lordaeron Hall mental institution. I guess all those awful rumors about human experimentation were just silly gossip after all. Where's my coffee?"

Ragnahar shuffled in, carrying a tray laden with breakfast foods. He set it down gently on the table.

Mrs Salad sniffed. "You burned my toast."
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-30-2015, 11:15 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

I'm dying right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.

Tags
copyright infringement, creative, fanwank, hell it's about time, scrolls of lore, storytelling