Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 05-17-2014, 07:53 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutinz View Post
Which ones would you go for? Wolf Beast Genn? Maybe a felblood Lor'themar?
So basically killing more AU characters that are even cooler than the ones we have right now?
Old 05-17-2014, 07:53 PM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
Yes. She's always there. I want to know her name.
What are the odds that Golden mains a Warlock?
Old 05-17-2014, 08:04 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
Yes. She's always there. I want to know her name.
i think she and the night elf priest are supposed to be PCs
Old 05-17-2014, 08:36 PM

There will never be a formidable warrior or paladin character Alliance side so long as Varian lives.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:47 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
ermm Darnassus, Stormwind, the Pandarian Alliance citadel thing, Ironforge and most of the questing zones?
And what if I see a mongrel in the streets? What should I do? Should I avert my gaze in shame? Should I slay him where he stands? Endure my own disgust, as I watch him defile the very ground on which he walks?
Old 05-17-2014, 08:56 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagan View Post
And what if I see a mongrel in the streets? What should I do? Should I avert my gaze in shame? Should I slay him where he stands? Endure my own disgust, as I watch him defile the very ground on which he walks?
you can start by stopping to post here
Old 05-17-2014, 08:59 PM

Elune

Quote:
You're as bad as Xil, seriously.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:06 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
You're as bad as Xil, seriously.
I'm merely making a point, dear fellow. I don't know why 'savagery' in the sense of animalistic barbarism-style savagery belongs in the Alliance. It doesn't, and that was never the aesthetic of the Alliance, and was never an aesthetic that the Alliance needed.

Night Elven-style savagery works, because they are the definition of the 'graceful savage'. Their culture is refined, developed, interesting, but they will (perhaps 'would' is more appropriate at this juncture) stop and nothing to protect their forests.

The idea of Worgen slashing up people, having "packs", eating meat…none of that makes sense in an Alliance context. It just doesn't. It feels queer and disjointed, and it tarnishes the integrity of the Alliance aesthetic, which is already weak.

What defines the Alliance, at this point? It isn't entirely clear, and that's bad. Part of the problem is that the Alliance has been muddied with the introduction of the Worgen. Part of it is that making Varian a figurehead was inappropriate, as he doesn't embody the Alliance, but the Horde, with his savagery and wolfness.

What we need is not more weakness. We need fortification of the Alliance aesthetic. Shoring up the defences which have been torn down by years of false attempts by Horde-obssesed developers to push the Horde's aesthetic onto the Alliance.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:09 PM

Elune

Quote:
I'm merely making a point, dear fellow. I don't know why 'savagery' in the sense of animalistic barbarism-style savagery belongs in the Alliance. It doesn't, and that was never the aesthetic of the Alliance, and was never an aesthetic that the Alliance needed.

Night Elven-style savagery works, because they are the definition of the 'graceful savage'. Their culture is refined, developed, interesting, but they will (perhaps 'would' is more appropriate at this juncture) stop and nothing to protect their forests.

The idea of Worgen slashing up people, having "packs", eating meat…none of that makes sense in an Alliance context. It just doesn't. It feels queer and disjointed, and it tarnishes the integrity of the Alliance aesthetic, which is already weak.

What defines the Alliance, at this point? It isn't entirely clear, and that's bad. Part of the problem is that the Alliance has been muddied with the introduction of the Worgen. Part of it is that making Varian a figurehead was inappropriate, as he doesn't embody the Alliance, but the Horde, with his savagery and wolfness.

What we need is not more weakness. We need fortification of the Alliance aesthetic. Shoring up the defences which have been torn down by years of false attempts by Horde-obssesed developers to push the Horde's aesthetic onto the Alliance.
So this whole time has been dedicated to you misreading me and assuming I want Worgen to abandon their Gilnean culture and aesthetic in order to be wolf animals, when instead I want them to mix sophistication with savagery because I feel that's a more compelling mix than going towards either equally boring opposite extremes?

Gotcha.

Maybe in the Worgen thread I will establish to you on what it is that I specifically want, since I don't wish to bog anyone else down further in this thread.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:19 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:22 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowtide View Post
I learned a new word today: wolfness.
Welcome to the furry community, we've been expecting you.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:55 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganishka View Post
~~~~
Oh, I'm very discriminatory. It is in my nature.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:58 AM

Elune

Quote:
Old 05-18-2014, 09:06 AM

Eternal

I think dark gothic werewolves could fit the alliance. The Alliance always struck me as the civilised and refined as opposed to the primal and 'raw' traits of the horde.

A bit less druidness and a bit more industry and the Worgen would probably seem a better fit.

You can have civilised savagery.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:09 AM

Elune

Quote:
I think dark gothic werewolves could fit the alliance. The Alliance always struck me as the civilised and refined as opposed to the primal and 'raw' traits of the horde.

A bit less druidness and a bit more industry and the Worgen would probably seem a better fit.

No apparently they have no place in the Alliance because the idea of steampunk, Victorian gothic werewolves is just too cool and unique.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:19 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
No apparently they have no place in the Alliance because the idea of steampunk, Victorian gothic werewolves means someone besides Stormwind has an identity.
Yea, I dont like this blue horde
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:47 PM

Eternal

Quote:

The Night Elves are the definition of civilised savagery, and already fill that role. Their beauty conceals their savagery. The Worgen do not have the benefit of beauty.

One could've made Victoriana, but one could've done so without contradicting the aesthetic of Victoriana itself. Victoriana is about the ornate, the adorned, but also about self-restraint. Animals are none of these things. In fact, if the present Gilnean Worgen were truly Victorian, I could imagine them wearing elaborate masks and robes to try and conceal their curse in shame.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:21 PM

Eternal

Quote:
The Night Elves are the definition of civilised savagery, and already fill that role. Their beauty conceals their savagery. The Worgen do not have the benefit of beauty.

One could've made Victoriana, but one could've done so without contradicting the aesthetic of Victoriana itself. Victoriana is about the ornate, the adorned, but also about self-restraint. Animals are none of these things. In fact, if the present Gilnean Worgen were truly Victorian, I could imagine them wearing elaborate masks and robes to try and conceal their curse in shame.
OOOOOOH so only if its beautiful is it important!

This whole puritist thing you got going here, you don't see how it makes you into a gibbering twit do you?
Old 05-18-2014, 03:43 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

I find it hilarious how Eagan is obviously trolling and having a laugh, and you guys are taking him seriously.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:01 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
I find it hilarious how Eagan is obviously trolling and having a laugh, and you guys are taking him seriously.
yeah I think your right. oh well.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:10 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Quote:
This is Eagan we're talking about. Either he's as dedicated to trolling as Slowpoke is, or he is the epitome of the middle class loon that makes so many afraid to describe themselves as such.

If I die, blame it on BfA
Old 05-18-2014, 04:16 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

Quote:
Quote:
I thought there was something odd about this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:04 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganishka View Post
I thought there was something odd about this post.
I wouldn't say I was "trolling". I do believe that "beauty" is very important, and I do believe that aesthetic is essential to the definition of character. I do "discriminate" when it comes to aesthetic, and I am quite touchy in that regard.

Quote:
This is Eagan we're talking about. Either he's as dedicated to trolling as Slowpoke is, or he is the epitome of the middle class loon that makes so many afraid to describe themselves as such.
To this, I take offence. I do not know what one means by "middle-class loon", but I can assure you that my origins are of the most peasanty sort.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:02 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

And peasant in American culture is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:09 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
And peasant in American culture is?
I'd imagine it's a bit like Bolvar, but without the money.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.

Tags
garrosh is a war criminal, jaina, literature, mop sucks, warcraft, what a tweest!, yeah right