Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 06-01-2014, 05:50 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Smile Azeroth Weekly - Recruit that Race

So... here's the deal:
Each week (starting on Wednesday, except on this week) everyone gets one vote for an NPC race. The votes will be kept track of in the OP and carry over from the previous weeks. After the week is over the race with the most votes wins, and everyone gets to tell us how they'd make that race join one or both factions. How elaborate this recruitment process is is up to each of you.

FAQ:
  • How will the voting function?
    Just make a post with the name of the race once per week, so one of these posts between Sundays.
  • Can a race win more than once?
    Nope. After winning once it gets added to the Hall of Fame, and any subsequent votes for it will be ignored.
  • Can I use this thread to tell everyone that Blizzard shouldn't add more playable races?
    I'm not your boss, but I'd rather have you use other threads for that kind of post. I want everyone to have fun, so let's keep the negativity out of this thread.
  • What kind of posts should I make in this thread, then?
    Votes, posts telling us how you'd have the winning race joins the factions or comments.
  • Do I have to vote for existing races?
    Nope. If you're a fan of foxes and want a fox race simply vote for humanoid foxes. Just try t leave room for imagination when you vote for a non-existing race.

Voting starts today (01/06/2014), which means that the first week will have less days. This means that we can start writing the backstory for the winning race sooner and have to wait less. It'd be boring if we'd have a full week of simply tallying votes.

Votes:
  • Mantid: 1
  • Magnataur: 1
  • Ethereals: 1
  • Sporelings: 1
  • Unnamed legion survivors: 1
  • Nerubians: 1
  • Dohwar: 1
  • Darfellans: 1

Hall of Fame:
  • Ogres
  • Saberon
  • Arakkoa
  • Vrykul
  • Shape-Shifting Dragons/Drakes
  • Botani
  • Storm Giants
  • Succubi
  • Naga
  • Furbolg
  • High Elves
  • Satyr
  • Changelings
  • Mo'arg
  • Egyptian animal-people (Not Tol'vir)
  • Half Elves
  • Gnolls
  • Natural vampiric race with inborn necromantic powers
  • Nathrezim
  • Yetis
  • Egyptian air elementals linked to Ethereals
  • Gargoyles
  • Kitsune

Last edited by Nazja; 10-27-2014 at 08:07 AM..
Old 06-01-2014, 02:22 PM

Demon Hunter

>saberon
>replace worgen
Old 06-01-2014, 02:25 PM

Haha, i didn't expect many votes, at least initially, but I thought that at least Ijffdrie would vote.

Anyways, now that I don't have to double post, I'll vote for the Saberon too.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:27 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Vrykul.

Pls no more furries.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:35 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Mantid
Old 06-01-2014, 08:37 PM

Eternal

Ogres
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:35 AM

Arch-Druid

Succubi
Old 06-02-2014, 03:31 AM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

Actually Magnataur.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:40 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

Well, I have to say "Arakkoa" first, of course!

Question: does "kvaldir" count as a race for the purposes of this thread, or only general "vrykul" does?
Old 06-02-2014, 01:43 PM

Eternal

Ogre
Old 06-02-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthat View Post
Well, I have to say "Arakkoa" first, of course!

Question: does "kvaldir" count as a race for the purposes of this thread, or only general "vrykul" does?
It does. Of course, voting for vrykul would technically also be a vote for kvaldir, so you decide what's the smarter vote.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:58 PM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Half Elf
Old 06-02-2014, 01:59 PM

Elune

This thread needs more Ethereals!
Old 06-04-2014, 03:42 AM

Saberon and ogres are tied. Normally I'd flip a coin, but considering that I voted for saberon, I can't do that this time. Wouldn't want to be accused of favoritism.

Congratulations for our ogre overlords!

(You can start voting for this week now, and I'll be expecting to see some stories dealing with the ogres' recruitment.)

I'll vote for stormgiants.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:56 AM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Shape-Shifting Dragons/Drakes
Old 06-04-2014, 08:58 AM

Eternal

Can I say arakkoa again?

I guess it's vrykul this week. Though kvaldir > normal vrykul.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthat View Post
Can I say arakkoa again?

I guess it's vrykul this week. Though kvaldir > normal vrykul.
You can, but I'll take that vrykul.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:06 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
You can, but I'll take that vrykul.
Ah, I guess I'll keep saying arakkoa from now on.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:12 PM

Arch-Druid

Arakkoa
Old 06-06-2014, 12:06 PM

Eternal

Mark! Skull! How would you implement Ogres?

Alliance: I'm somewhat imagining a group of Seafaring Ogres, (Island Dwarfism stunts their growth to the point where they and Tauren are fairly comparable in height, but they're still quite large). These brigands and buccaneers attempted to invade Kul'tiras shortly after the 3rd War. They've been at it for a while, and this is why KT's been out for so long. You start during the final battle, in which Ogres lose to KT, who offer to spare their lives. You live as a second class citizen in KT society, rebuilding them so they can return to the Alliance. The rest of the Alliance is a bit uneasy about this. Alliance more complicated and controversial: check. Alliance winning something and acting like they won: check. Kul'Tiras: Check.

I'm going to wait until we learn more about the Ogres in WoD before I do my Horde version.

Classes: Warrior, Shaman, Mage, Warlock, Monk, Priest. Maybe DK. Not confident on that one.

Hey Nazja, how are you breaking the tie?

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 06-08-2014 at 11:47 AM..
Old 06-09-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
Hey Nazja, how are you breaking the tie?
Hmm, I think this time I'll just allow Saberon to get the spot. They were the first to reach 2 votes, after all. A week before Vrykul too.

I'll edit this post later and include how I'd introduce ogres.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:54 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Hmm, I think this time I'll just allow Saberon to get the spot. They were the first to reach 2 votes, after all. A week before Vrykul too.

I'll edit this post later and include how I'd introduce ogres.
Any comment on my Tirasian Ogre Slaves?

Btw, I don't have a clue what to do with Saberon as I haven't seen any background on them yet. I don't know that I'd make them neutral, and I'm not sure which side they'd be more drawn toward. Kinda leaning toward Horde just to offset worgen, but I'm not sold on it. Either way they'd probably join to pay a debt. I'd give them warriors, hunters, rogues, shaman, monk would be cool, and I kinda want to see at least priest and maybe even paladin to let me indulge my Ajani fantasy. No overwhelming desire for a Druid IMHO. I kinda want them to be tribal, nomadic, and maybe have them ride boars, or maybe talbuks.

EDIT: oh hell, Neutral Saberon: you choose your faction via Gladiatorial Combat. You choose opponents from whichever side you choose, and eventually (you'll get a clue it's coming) you will choose between combatants from either side that you can't beat. Whichever one you choose, you loose and you swear allegiance to that champion's faction.

In the mean time, this time I'll stick with shapeshifted drakes.

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 06-09-2014 at 07:01 PM..
Old 06-09-2014, 06:59 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Furbolg
Old 06-11-2014, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
Any comment on my Tirasian Ogre Slaves?
Pirate ogres? Sure, seems fun. Just make sure that we get a pirate hat out of the starting zone. If I were Blizzard I'd take advantage and allow people to also create KT humans, changing the quest text a bit and maybe the first 5 (?) levels. (They should've done this with Worgen too.)

One of the reasons why I regret having voted for Saberon is how little we know about them, so I agree with you there.

Anyways, to my ogres...

After the death of Imperator Gor'vidus his two children, Ogri'la and [name of son], want to join one of the factions to save their race and to steer it towards a different path than the path of violence of their father. The son favors the Horde and the daughter, Ogri'la, the Alliance. Usually such disagreements would be settled via civil wars, but since these ogres are more enlightened, the decision depends upon the outcome of a gladiatorial match between champions trained by the Horde and Alliance. Obviously the fight isn't to the death.

The player is a young ogre going through their rite of passage, and the first 5 levels deal with ogre customs and rituals. Afterwards, they come into contact with the Horde and Alliance emissaries and choose which faction they prefer after a bit of questing. Said faction sees something special in them and trains them so that they may be their champion in the upcoming match. The Alliance player wins, but the Horde ogre was suffering from a bad case of food poisoning after eating food sold by a goblin street vendor. As a result Ogri'la becomes the empress, but in her wisdom, decides that they'll join neither faction and simply support both. Lorewise the playable ogres would not kill ogres fighting for the opposite faction as they're just a step above mercenaries and won't kill their kin for the factions.

Edit:
Oh yeah, it'd be great if the first 5 levels change a bit depending on your clan. I'm envisioning some elder asking you which clan you belong to. After the player picks, he'd reminisce about the clan, telling the player what he needs to know about the clan he picked, and ask you if you're sure, allowing the player to see what all the clans are about before actually choosing.

Edit:
The new week starts today, so Saberon win and everyone may vote again. If you missed the chance to write about ogres, you can still do so.

My vote goes to Vrykul, making them the first to reach 3 votes. Henceforth, if races are tied for first place, the list is now first come first served.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:28 AM

Eternal

I want yetis, at full size. Then I can stand in front of the mail boxes and auctioneers and claim full control of the markets.

Tags
playable arakkoa when, weekly