Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 04-02-2014, 07:03 PM

Sentinel Queen

Default Why did Shokia join the rebellion

When Shokia is introduced in MOP, she's shown as a hardliner, extreme Garrosh loyalist with no sympathetic qualities like basically all orcs in MOP. She captures Anduin, and excitedly brings up the subject of torturing him.
Even on timeless isle, Shokia is shown as loyal to Garrosh, warning the player not to step out of line.

I'm guessing blizzard realized last minute that there were no sympathetic orc characters in MOP aside from Thrall, Saurfang, and Eitrigg, and thus made Shokia join the rebellion last minute. But if so, they totally failed at making a sympathetic or good orc character in the expansion.

Why didn't they use preexisting orc characters that already had sympathetic qualities like Zaela, Bloodhilt, Runthak, or Nazgrel rather then making them entirely unsympathetic with no explanation or forgetting about them entirely is beyond me.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:06 PM

Elune

Did she even know there was a rebellion going on?
Old 04-02-2014, 07:06 PM

Arch-Druid

Gorgonna would've been a great face to bring back too. Her victory over Krenna was very much in line with what the "good" orcs were supposedly trying to do about Garrosh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Did she even know there was a rebellion going on?
Pretty sure she shows up in the Underhold to repair your shit.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:11 PM

Sentinel Queen

Nazgrel hasn't even mentioned once since Burning Crusade. We don't even know how he reacted to Garrosh being Warchief, or the rebellion or anything. He was just totally forgotten entirely.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:18 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Maybe they wanted to show that even some of the more bloodthirsty orcs still thought Garrosh was going too far/had loyalty to all of the Horde (Shokia never seems racist to the non orc members of the expedition, then again, neither does Nazgrim, but he seems to regret being on Hellscream's side and just thinks he has to be).
Old 04-02-2014, 07:20 PM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
Maybe they wanted to show that even some of the more bloodthirsty orcs still thought Garrosh was going too far/had loyalty to all of the Horde (Shokia never seems racist to the non orc members of the expedition, then again, neither does Nazgrim, but he seems to regret being on Hellscream's side and just thinks he has to be).
Then why did they make the sympathetic orcs evil for no reason or show Shokia's change? She just goes from one of Garrosh's most loyal followers, even more then Nazgrim, to joining the rebellion for no reason other then a very half-assed attempt to show one good orc.

The whole Siege Of Orgrimmar and Garrosh is EVUUL was a huge disaster of writing.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:25 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Shokia: Hey guys, I wanna join Garrosh!

Zaela: Excuse me? You're going to try to join us? There's a one-woman limit in this raid, and it's gonna be me.

Shokia: Fuck you too! I'll join the rebels then.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:30 PM

Sentinel Queen

Also Shokia is shown to resent the Hozen, so she is shown as racist against non-orcs, Insane guy of Doom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia View Post
Shokia: Hey guys, I wanna join Garrosh!

Zaela: Excuse me? You're going to try to join us? There's a one-woman limit in this raid, and it's gonna be me.

Shokia: Fuck you too! I'll join the rebels then.
They should've killed off Shokia instead of Zaela. Zaela was the one depicted positively, and accepting of the other races of the Horde. Plus, the reason she liked Garrosh, was gone entirely in his trainwreck of a portrayal in Mists Of Pandaria.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:00 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeAxe View Post
Also Shokia is shown to resent the Hozen, so she is shown as racist against non-orcs, Insane guy of Doom.

They should've killed off Shokia instead of Zaela. Zaela was the one depicted positively, and accepting of the other races of the Horde. Plus, the reason she liked Garrosh, was gone entirely in his trainwreck of a portrayal in Mists Of Pandaria.
I wouldn't hold her feelings about hozen on the same level as the player horde races. None of them seem to actually like the hozen, aside from Kiryn.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:01 PM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
I wouldn't hold her feelings about hozen on the same level as the player horde races. None of them seem to actually like the hozen, aside from Kiryn.
The player disapproves of her attitude towards the Hozen based on the description of her note.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:01 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Would you like a species that constantly is dealing with poop jokes, references, etc. It's like working with the Blizzard quest developers
Old 04-02-2014, 09:51 PM

It's a time of war for the Horde and the Rebels really didn't have a good cause. Basically everything boiled down to a personal dislike of Garrosh and if you happened to like and agree with him, you would remain loyal to him. Unless you were the PC character. Then you got shoehorned into fighting against him.

Quote:
Wasn't that because he had a diverse Horde? In case you hadn't noticed, Garrosh was very open to other races in MoP. His stance had softened considerably from what it was in Cata. The thing is Garrosh didn't like people he thought were disloyal and disloyalty was cut along racial lines for the most part.

Garrosh likes the PC character, regardless of their race or gender. He thinks your a wonderful and honorable champion of the Horde!

Last edited by Westlee; 04-02-2014 at 09:55 PM..
Old 04-03-2014, 02:45 AM

Arch-Druid

Ehmm, killed off?
Zaela is still alive and will be in WoD. We only killed Galakras, not her.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:50 AM

Eternal

Again, Zaela's fate was sealed the moment Blizzard got wind of those Garrosh-Zaela shippers back in Cataclysm.

Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, DailyMotion, DTube, FruitLab, or Brighteon.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:51 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujimasa Hojo View Post
Again, Zaela fate was sealed the moment Blizzard got wind of those Garrosh-Zaela shippers back in Cataclysm.
First Thraggra, and now Garrola! Orcs getting into relationships everywhere!
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 04-03-2014, 02:54 AM

Eternal

Saurfang was the earliest with the cleave.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:56 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullcrusha View Post
Saurfang was the earliest with the cleave.
Saurfang and his Cleavage are certainly something special.
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 04-03-2014, 03:04 AM

Eternal

As for Shokia, Blizzard had her join the rebels because she was with the PCs more recently thus making her more familiar with the players.

Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, DailyMotion, DTube, FruitLab, or Brighteon.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:49 AM

Banished

Quote:
Nazgrel hasn't even mentioned once since Burning Crusade. We don't even know how he reacted to Garrosh being Warchief, or the rebellion or anything. He was just totally forgotten entirely.
Just one of the many fucks that makeup the clusterfuck of current Horde Lore.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:57 AM

Elune

I still don't get why they didn't throw Rexxar in, even if he didn't get his 5.3 appearance, he still could have been down in the Underhold at least, maybe with some flavour dialogue afterwards.

I mean that's about as much as Baine got. Huehue.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:01 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

Gorgonna and Rexxard should have made cameos. As should Genn Greymane.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:05 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
Gorgonna and Rexxard should have made cameos. As should Genn Greymane.
Gorg/Rexx? Yes.

Genn? I understand (or, just theorise) why they didn't include him. Genn not calling out Varian's bullshit and/or not wanting to kill Sylvanas there and then would have been even more moronic. It's the one time I'll accept the Worgen being off-screen.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:17 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
Just one of the many fucks that makeup the clusterfuck of current Horde Lore.
Honestly, Nazgrel probably should have been Thrall's first choice for a replacement.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:20 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
Gorg/Rexx? Yes.

Genn? I understand (or, just theorise) why they didn't include him. Genn not calling out Varian's bullshit and/or not wanting to kill Sylvanas there and then would have been even more moronic. It's the one time I'll accept the Worgen being off-screen.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Honestly, Nazgrel probably should have been Thrall's first choice for a replacement.
Indeed, that was my first thought when reading The Shattering

They just aren't even trying anymore.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:22 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
You actually think Blizzard thought of that when they didn't include Genn Velen and Genn were cut because their "spots" were taken by Anduin and Jaina.

Tags
lore, mop rocks, mop sucks