Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2011, 11:14 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
I'm just waiting for a "leaked" video to hit youtube that claims to be the cinematic and then cuts to a scene from Kung Fu Panda. Then again, there's probably hundreds already.
I could make this happen. There's nary a kids movie I don't own on DVD...
Old 11-15-2011, 05:52 PM

Elune

Well, I can safely say I enjoyed playing every class I tried (four of sixteen isn't a bad sample). I also have really enjoyed the content so far, though I never leveled past 15. Playing this on release for sure.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:33 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DedChikn#1567

An endorsement from Fordragon is good enough.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:35 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

So I got another beta key. This time, it doesn't mention anything about being restricted to weekends. Are there two separate betas, one running on weekends and one running all the time?
Old 11-16-2011, 10:57 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
So I got another beta key. This time, it doesn't mention anything about being restricted to weekends. Are there two separate betas, one running on weekends and one running all the time?
There are two different betas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:27 AM

Elune

Quote:
You should go ahead and try leveling up a new character if you got in the new beta. This patch today seems to have reworked a lot of the codex works, especially when concerning the ACs
Old 11-17-2011, 11:14 AM

Elune

Quote:
You've been invited to the upcoming Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta.

Your beta key is : XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX

To be invited into the upcoming test you must redeem the code by 11:59pm on Friday, November 18th, 2011 at:
http://www.swtor.com/redeembetacode/

Once the test date is set you will receive an email from the SWTOR team with instructions on how to start participating in the beta.
This legit?

I'm weary to accept anything I hadn't signed up for.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:49 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded Chikn View Post
This legit?

I'm weary to accept anything I hadn't signed up for.
you can always go to the real website and try it out. Just don't click on links from an email.

I don't know though, I got the real mail saying I was invited in the beta but haven't received my code yet.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyson View Post
you can always go to the real website and try it out. Just don't click on links from an email.

I don't know though, I got the real mail saying I was invited in the beta but haven't received my code yet.
That's the same as the PM I got on the Bioware Forums, not an email AFAIK. The link is strangely broken for me, though.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:16 PM

The Sun King

So, i've just finished reading "TOR - Revan" yesterday. Wanna read some spoilers?
Old 11-18-2011, 03:08 AM

Elune

I'll have to accept it then. Perhaps I'll even fix my computer in time to play it.

EDIT: Meh, link doesn't work.

Oh well.

Last edited by Ded Chikn; 11-18-2011 at 04:28 AM..
Old 11-18-2011, 01:26 PM

I had the same problem with the link. Remove the backspace at the end and it should be fine.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:39 PM

Elune

For those that don't know, the NDA has been lifted completely..

And a new PvP zone announced

http://www.redrancor.com/news-2/a-fi...utlaw%27s-den/
Old 11-18-2011, 05:02 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
So, i've just finished reading "TOR - Revan" yesterday. Wanna read some spoilers?
If you have the time, a review might be nice to read. I came across alleged "leaks" of the novel a while back that soured my opinion of the KOTOR universe, but first impressions (especially when they're based on secondary sources) aren't always accurate and the book might deserve more credit than I've given it.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:56 PM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan Seven View Post
If you have the time, a review might be nice to read. I came across alleged "leaks" of the novel a while back that soured my opinion of the KOTOR universe, but first impressions (especially when they're based on secondary sources) aren't always accurate and the book might deserve more credit than I've given it.
Alright.

SPOILER ALERT

The leaks were more or less accurate. The novel has two storylines that unite near the end. One deals with Revan/Exile, the other with the Sith Lord named Scourge (yes, the name is stupid and several characters make fun of it).

Revan lives on Coruscant with Bastila, the two are married. The canon ending is Light Side, and Revan is admired as a hero of the Republic, though the people somewhat forget his face by the start of the novel. I didn't really like Revan - while he often acts as your sarcastic player character, his views on the Force and the Jedi are clouded with his own ego. Turns out that after the game he tried to persuade the Jedi Council into accepting the use of "good emotions" by the Jedi to use the Force, 'cause he and Bastila did it and everything turned out OK (nevermind that that's Dark Side, that's what the Sith constantly bring up in their rants against the Jedi, yada yada). The Council, of course, refuses, some even propose to exile Revan, but they come to a compromise. The Council gives Revan the title of Jedi Master and lets him live together with Bastila away from the Jedi Order, while de-jure being a part of it; in exchange Revan would not spread his herecy among the Jedi. Revan hates it and treats all the Jedi Masters as nothing but stubborn fools who do not want to see his awesome and totally right view on the Jedi. Basti.a is absolutely loyal to Revan and his cause: the Jedi Order offered her and Revan to retrain themselves, because both of them were on the Dark Side for too long, but both refuse - Bastila because he Dark Side part completely united her with Revan, and Revan because he doesn't want some noname Jedi Master to teach him, who has seen both the Dark and the Light, like some lowly padawan. The Council was against the marriage of Revan and Bastila. but given the distance between them and the Order, they accepted it with gritted teeth. So, Revan is your usual EU "cool Jedi" main character - he acts and thinks nothing like a member of the canonical Jedi Order should, but he is still a good guy and doesn't fall to the Dark Side, even if he uses it.

Revan is haunted by dreams, memories about the Mandalorian Wars. He doesn't remember everything yet, but the memories suddenly appear whenever the plot needs it. He remembers Dromund Kaas but doesn't know how to get there. He also remembers some icy planet he visited with Malak to hide the Mask of Mandalore. Turns out the planet now swarms with Mandalorian clans that seek to find the Mask and elect a new Mandalore, among with them there is Canderous's Clan Ordo. Revan takes Canderous and T3M4 and sets the Ebon Hawk to the planet. Bastila is not taken, because she is pregnant, no mention of Carth, Mission and Zaalbar are running some business, the cat girl and Jolee are not taken, because they are too close with the Jedi Order (yes, it says it right there, Jolee motherfucking Bindo is too close with the Order. WTF). HK-47 is mentioned several times, but everyone hates him, talks about how crazy he is, and the Exile even gives him to the custody of a new Order. HK will, however, escape to seek Revan on his own (see Beta leaks for TOR).

Canderous and Revan arrive to the camp of Clan Ordo, Revan goes under the name Avner. The clan is ruled by Canderous's wife, their relations are bitter and she hates Canderous for abandoning her and the clan after the Wars. Revan suddenly has a vision of the place he and Malak took the Mask to and persuades mandos to travel therem saying he has Republic records about the Mask. They fight with some other clan, Revan uses his lightsaber (green, for some reason) and Canderous's wife sees that he is a Jedi. With a name like Avner she understands who he is, and when Canderous and Revan finally find the mask she ambushes them with four soldiers, tries to persuade Canderous to join her, but the bounty hunter stays loyal to Revan. Together they kill the wife and the mandos. Revan finds the info about the Sith he needed and gives Canderous the Mask of Mandalore, the rest of it you know from KOTOR 2.

T3M4 sets the Ebon Hawk to the plane of Nathema, that's where Revan's and Scourge's stories come together. Let's talk about Scourge.

Lord Scourge is a Red Sith ("pureblood"). He is a Sith Warrior and a late companion character for Jedi Knight in TOR. Scourge studied in the Sith Academy and was successful, but the jealous masters sent him to the Subjugated Worlds away from the capital, though he got some reputation even there and became a Sith Lord. By the order of the Sith Emperor he is sent to help a member of the Dark Council, Darth Nyriss, who is said to be a target of her rivals' assassins. Nyriss is wary of him, "tests" his strength and intelligence with false attacks, but, after all, agrees with his position. Scourge does some missions for her and comes into confrontation with his co-worker Sechel, Nyriss's advisor and main intelligence agent. After Scourge kills her rival councilor, Nyriss tells him that half of the councilors are part of the conspirancy against the Sith Emperor, who she describes as a madman. Scourge doesn't believe her, but goes with her anyways to Nathema to see the results of emperor's madness.

Nathema, long ago known under a different name, is a homeworld of the Sith Emperor, who is what one can actually call a Complete Monster. He was born here as a bastard child from a local Sith Lord and a farmer mother. His original name was Tenebrae. The child was very storng in the force, something the farmer family was never strong in, and the foster father got the idea that his wife cheated on him and tried to hurt her. Tenebrae at first protected his mom and killed the farmer, but then tortured her to death too, for being a disgrace to her family. As a teenager, Tenebrae subjugated the nearby towns and villages with his raw power and even killed his real father. Marka Ragnos saw his power and made him a Sith Lord, Lord Vitiate. Vitiate stayed silent on hte matter of Sith politics and didn't support Naga Sadow OR Ludo Kreshh. After the Great Hyprspace War he summoned the fleeing 800 Sith Lords to his homeworld with the promises of great power beyond thir imagination. Thinking that a lone Sith can't possibly hurt them, the Lords arrived and took part in the ritual, becoming a vortex of power...

That power is, really, copycat from Darth Nihilus, but Vitiate uses it not to sate his hunger (though he later has one, but it's not a big problem), but to become immortal. Vitiate drained life from the Sith Lord and then siphoned life AND the Force from all who lived on Nathema, leaving only the power of Void. No droid, no living thing has survived, even sound and colour were driven of the planet together with the Force. When Scourge sees the lifeless planet, he agrees that the emperor should be stopped. Same with Revan, who gets his ship abordaged by Darth Nyriss and Scourge and taken with them. T3M4 somehow escapes with the Ebon Hawk away from the captors.

Scourge, overall, is an OK character, but I felt that Drew thinks he is... not Sith enough (?) and tries to add some unneeded "eeevilness" to the guy ("Scourge was shocked what the emperor did to the planet... No no no, he would be OK with killing, even destroying planets, but THAT Force draining was going too far"). He was more interesting to read about than Revan, though, and he later show to be the most level-headed of the team.

TO BE CONTINUED... I've got some work to do.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:52 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Alright.

SPOILER ALERT

The leaks were more or less accurate. The novel has two storylines that unite near the end. One deals with Revan/Exile, the other with the Sith Lord named Scourge (yes, the name is stupid and several characters make fun of it).

Revan lives on Coruscant with Bastila, the two are married. The canon ending is Light Side, and Revan is admired as a hero of the Republic, though the people somewhat forget his face by the start of the novel. I didn't really like Revan - while he often acts as your sarcastic player character, his views on the Force and the Jedi are clouded with his own ego. Turns out that after the game he tried to persuade the Jedi Council into accepting the use of "good emotions" by the Jedi to use the Force, 'cause he and Bastila did it and everything turned out OK (nevermind that that's Dark Side, that's what the Sith constantly bring up in their rants against the Jedi, yada yada). The Council, of course, refuses, some even propose to exile Revan, but they come to a compromise. The Council gives Revan the title of Jedi Master and lets him live together with Bastila away from the Jedi Order, while de-jure being a part of it; in exchange Revan would not spread his herecy among the Jedi. Revan hates it and treats all the Jedi Masters as nothing but stubborn fools who do not want to see his awesome and totally right view on the Jedi. Basti.a is absolutely loyal to Revan and his cause: the Jedi Order offered her and Revan to retrain themselves, because both of them were on the Dark Side for too long, but both refuse - Bastila because he Dark Side part completely united her with Revan, and Revan because he doesn't want some noname Jedi Master to teach him, who has seen both the Dark and the Light, like some lowly padawan. The Council was against the marriage of Revan and Bastila. but given the distance between them and the Order, they accepted it with gritted teeth. So, Revan is your usual EU "cool Jedi" main character - he acts and thinks nothing like a member of the canonical Jedi Order should, but he is still a good guy and doesn't fall to the Dark Side, even if he uses it.

Revan is haunted by dreams, memories about the Mandalorian Wars. He doesn't remember everything yet, but the memories suddenly appear whenever the plot needs it. He remembers Dromund Kaas but doesn't know how to get there. He also remembers some icy planet he visited with Malak to hide the Mask of Mandalore. Turns out the planet now swarms with Mandalorian clans that seek to find the Mask and elect a new Mandalore, among with them there is Canderous's Clan Ordo. Revan takes Canderous and T3M4 and sets the Ebon Hawk to the planet. Bastila is not taken, because she is pregnant, no mention of Carth, Mission and Zaalbar are running some business, the cat girl and Jolee are not taken, because they are too close with the Jedi Order (yes, it says it right there, Jolee motherfucking Bindo is too close with the Order. WTF). HK-47 is mentioned several times, but everyone hates him, talks about how crazy he is, and the Exile even gives him to the custody of a new Order. HK will, however, escape to seek Revan on his own (see Beta leaks for TOR).

Canderous and Revan arrive to the camp of Clan Ordo, Revan goes under the name Avner. The clan is ruled by Canderous's wife, their relations are bitter and she hates Canderous for abandoning her and the clan after the Wars. Revan suddenly has a vision of the place he and Malak took the Mask to and persuades mandos to travel therem saying he has Republic records about the Mask. They fight with some other clan, Revan uses his lightsaber (green, for some reason) and Canderous's wife sees that he is a Jedi. With a name like Avner she understands who he is, and when Canderous and Revan finally find the mask she ambushes them with four soldiers, tries to persuade Canderous to join her, but the bounty hunter stays loyal to Revan. Together they kill the wife and the mandos. Revan finds the info about the Sith he needed and gives Canderous the Mask of Mandalore, the rest of it you know from KOTOR 2.

T3M4 sets the Ebon Hawk to the plane of Nathema, that's where Revan's and Scourge's stories come together. Let's talk about Scourge.

Lord Scourge is a Red Sith ("pureblood"). He is a Sith Warrior and a late companion character for Jedi Knight in TOR. Scourge studied in the Sith Academy and was successful, but the jealous masters sent him to the Subjugated Worlds away from the capital, though he got some reputation even there and became a Sith Lord. By the order of the Sith Emperor he is sent to help a member of the Dark Council, Darth Nyriss, who is said to be a target of her rivals' assassins. Nyriss is wary of him, "tests" his strength and intelligence with false attacks, but, after all, agrees with his position. Scourge does some missions for her and comes into confrontation with his co-worker Sechel, Nyriss's advisor and main intelligence agent. After Scourge kills her rival councilor, Nyriss tells him that half of the councilors are part of the conspirancy against the Sith Emperor, who she describes as a madman. Scourge doesn't believe her, but goes with her anyways to Nathema to see the results of emperor's madness.

Nathema, long ago known under a different name, is a homeworld of the Sith Emperor, who is what one can actually call a Complete Monster. He was born here as a bastard child from a local Sith Lord and a farmer mother. His original name was Tenebrae. The child was very storng in the force, something the farmer family was never strong in, and the foster father got the idea that his wife cheated on him and tried to hurt her. Tenebrae at first protected his mom and killed the farmer, but then tortured her to death too, for being a disgrace to her family. As a teenager, Tenebrae subjugated the nearby towns and villages with his raw power and even killed his real father. Marka Ragnos saw his power and made him a Sith Lord, Lord Vitiate. Vitiate stayed silent on hte matter of Sith politics and didn't support Naga Sadow OR Ludo Kreshh. After the Great Hyprspace War he summoned the fleeing 800 Sith Lords to his homeworld with the promises of great power beyond thir imagination. Thinking that a lone Sith can't possibly hurt them, the Lords arrived and took part in the ritual, becoming a vortex of power...

That power is, really, copycat from Darth Nihilus, but Vitiate uses it not to sate his hunger (though he later has one, but it's not a big problem), but to become immortal. Vitiate drained life from the Sith Lord and then siphoned life AND the Force from all who lived on Nathema, leaving only the power of Void. No droid, no living thing has survived, even sound and colour were driven of the planet together with the Force. When Scourge sees the lifeless planet, he agrees that the emperor should be stopped. Same with Revan, who gets his ship abordaged by Darth Nyriss and Scourge and taken with them. T3M4 somehow escapes with the Ebon Hawk away from the captors.

Scourge, overall, is an OK character, but I felt that Drew thinks he is... not Sith enough (?) and tries to add some unneeded "eeevilness" to the guy ("Scourge was shocked what the emperor did to the planet... No no no, he would be OK with killing, even destroying planets, but THAT Force draining was going too far"). He was more interesting to read about than Revan, though, and he later show to be the most level-headed of the team.

TO BE CONTINUED... I've got some work to do.
I love how you pointed out that the Emperor is a real Complete Monster. I'm rather surprised not many people have mentioned his numerous Moral Event Horizon crossings. Tortureing his own mother to death? Fuck, that is hardcore...

Quote:
Quote:
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:53 AM

Every teenager tortures his own mother. The Emperor just had the decency to put her out of her misery.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:55 AM

Elune

Quote:
Every teenager tortures his own mother. The Emperor just had the decency to put her out of her misery.
Your wit knows no bounds when it comes to amusing me, good sir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpnJe...el_video_title

Warning: spoilers.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Ganishka; 11-20-2011 at 12:11 AM..
Old 11-20-2011, 03:14 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganishka View Post
I love how you pointed out that the Emperor is a real Complete Monster. I'm rather surprised not many people have mentioned his numerous Moral Event Horizon crossings. Tortureing his own mother to death? Fuck, that is hardcore...
I actually hate that troper, but this guy... UGH! Even the Sith with their "egoticism justifies everyhting" philosophy were sick of his deeds.

Let's continue.

SPOILERS AHEAD, DON'T READ IF YOU CARE ABOUT SPOILERING THINGS

So, let's see what do we have here about the Exile and KOTOR 2. First things first, the leakers, who were whining about how the Exile is shown as a poor little damsel compared to Revan, are lying whiners. Revan himself comments on how she became stronger where he couldn't (I guess he means that she could survive without the Force, but that doesn't explain why the heck does the Exile suffers on the edge of insanity when she comes to the Force-less world of Nathema. neither does it explain why the Exile just couldn't defeat the Sith Emperor like she did with Darth Nihilus... which brings us to the next point).

Exile's canon ending is, apparently, light side. Her real name is revealed: Meetra Surik (a reference to the angel of fire and justice Mithra from Zoroastrinism, I guess). I forgot to mention previously that Atris appears on the Jedi Council (who, for some reason, is described as being of same age as Bastila) and confronts Revan seeking info about the Battle of Malachor. Atris reveals Revan that it was due to his actions that the Exile "fallen" to the Dark Side and got cut from the Force. Revan is sorry.

Now, the important matter arises: how does Karpyshyn describe the Exile losing her Force powers? You have to play KOTOR 2 to the end to really understand that. In fact, how does he treat KOTOR 2 stuff?

+ Surprisingly, Karpyshyn agrees with KOTOR2 interpretation of Battle of Malachore V (in KOTOR 1 it was just mentioned as a yet another important space battle). The Mass Shadow Generator is kept and the Exile activates it on Revan's orders. Karpyshyn also describes how Malachor V became as ugly as we know it, though he makes a mistake: he says that all animals that were on the planet died, while we know that's not true (Storm Beasts).
+ Karpyshyn got how the Exile lost her Force connection: she cut herself from the Force to survive the Echo from all people dying on Malachor. No mention of Nihilus, who failed to do the same, though.
+ Canderous is the new Mandalore.

However

-No mention of the Malachor Sith Academy and how it influenced Revan.
-Now Revan has always been, apparently, a goody-goody, even during the end phase of the Mandalorian Wars. Kreia's interpretation of a dark Magnificient Bastard is no more - the guy goes with the Jedi Code in his mind druing the Battle of Malachor! In fact, that interpretation of Revan is attributed to the "stupid stubborn Jedi councilor" Atris. And Revan? He did not know what will the Mass Shadow Generator do (even Atris calls him on it, saying that it was built as a weapon of war for a reson, but she is a jerkass from the stupid Jedi Council and is not worth believing), and he apparently wasn't trying to execute unloyal officers and Jedi with the Generator. The "Whitewash" is terrible.
-Kreia is mentioned! Except you'd wish she wasn't. Karpyshyn just writes that some woman named Kreia, who became Darth Traya, and her rogue Jedi left the Jedi Order after Revan departed (!), called themselves Sith in honour of the long-lost species (!!), and waged war against the Republic, becoming known as the new threat to the whole galaxy (!!!). NO metnion of how they are the remnants of Revan's Sith Empire. NO mention of where do Sion and Nihilus come from. NO mention of Kreia being the master of Revan and the Exile, of her finding the Ebon Hawk, of her training the Exile so that she could help Revan. In Karpyshyn's novel, the Exile just arisen against Traya's Sith, killed Darth Traya in some epic battle of sorts and was hailed by the whole galaxy as a hero. The fact that NOBODY KNEW about Kreia except the Exile, and that the whole game was about how silent, unseen deeds can change the fate of the galaxy (the only enemy who actually confronted the Republic was Darth Nihilus) is forgotten. AT LEAST Karpyshyn doesn't forget that the Sith Triumvirate destroyed the whole Jedi Order (Bastila chickened and went into hiding. Yeah, she was afraid about her son, but she still believed that together with Revan they could kick some Sith ass, which, knowing Nihilus's ability, is not true).
-Revan didn't say anything to Carth about keeping the Republic safe. Not that anybody cares.
-Revan's preparation of the Republic/the Sith Empire against the "True Sith", the premise of the whole novel... is lost. More on that later.

Let's get back to story. Meetra Surik also starts on Coruscant at Bastila's appartment. She brought back T3, but left HK-47 in the custody, that woman. Bastila proposes to disable HK and Meetra agrees, but it turns out the droid has already escaped them on his own search for Revan. Meetra wants to search for him two, Bastila is worried about him leving three years ago. Another note, Bastila is jealous of Meetra, who she thinks may have been Revan's love during the Wars. Turns out, Darth Revan's mask has been kept by Bastila since Malak's betrayal, she didn't wanted to show it to him, because she feared that Revan will remember who he really is and the mind-wiped man SHE loved will cease to exist (The mind-wipe, by the way, is a matter of a discussion between Bastila and Revan earlier in the book. Unlike in the game, BASTILA thinks that the Jedi Order are irredeemable assholes for stealing Revan's memory, while Revan defends them, and says that without the mind-wipe the two wouldn't fall in love). Bastila asks Meetra to bring Revan a holovid of their child and gives her Revan's mask. When Meetra says that getting his memories back may lead Revan back to the Dark Side, Bastila answers that she doesn't care if Revan is Sith if that is what he needs to defeat whoever he went to fight.

T3M4 shows Meetra the holorecord of Scourge kidnapping Revan and sets the Ebon Hawk to Nathema. Like Luke on Dagobah, Meetra SUDDENLY finds whatever info she needs in the middle of the whole planet. The info is about Dromund Kaas (even though Meetra is not sure that it is the right place - the Sith own many planets), the Sith Emperor took under his control the troops of Sith Lords he killed on Nathema and told the survivors of the Old Sith Empire that he will lead them to the "TRUE ancestral homeland of the Sith" on Dromund Kaas. Like Moses with the Jews, he could have just flown to Dromund from the start, but instead Vitiate made the flight desperate and hard, until all his followers were loyal to him on a godlike level. Why the hell does his Sith Empire look like Revan's and Palpatine's Empires from different time periods (and not like the Egypt-esque Old Sith Empire) is not explained. Why the hell are humans the majority in his Empire is not explained, though it is said that the Red Sith are all from a higher caste than humans.

Meetra fights with the Void that destroyed the force on the planet, but survives. Emperor's power is though to be OMG HOW TERRIBLE, even though Nihilus could do the same thing without the help from 800 sacrificed Sith Lords. The girl travels to Dromund Kaas, posing as a mercenary "subjucate" - a persom from Sith Empire's vassal world. She gets some money and contacts Sechel to find the Sith Lord, Scourge.

All this time Revan was imprisoned by the Sith. Darth Nyriss knew him as a Jedi guy Emperor made his servant, but Revan does not remeber her. Nyriss wanted to experiment on him to find out how he broke from the Emperor's mind control, but alas. She quickly lost all her interest in him. Scourge, on the other hand, was fascinated with Revan and his view of the Force. With the Sith Lord being his only visitor, the two became somehat friends, with Revan persuading Scourge to help him escape and Scourge listening to Revan's experience with the Force. Revan tells Scourge about his experience with Force Visions. It is, for some reason, described as an alien concept to the Sith, which Revan uses for bluffing. He says he had a vision of some help coming to release him from the prison. It's not true, but Scourge believes his words, and Revan gets a vision of the Exile anyways... yeah.

Sechel sets a meeting for Scoruge with the "unknown woman", thinking that she is some sort of avenger from Scourge's war past. Scourge brings soldiers with him, Meetra kills them all. Meetra says she is here to find Revan, so Scourge thinks that Revan's "vision" was true and helps her. He kills Sechel and gets documents that show that the Dark Council was conspiring against the Emperor and decides to use the Emperor to get rid of Nyriss's army (who Scourge got disappointed at, because she wasn't trying to act against the Emperor already). He gets these files to the Emperor, who believes Scourge and sends Imperial Guard to kill all Dark Councilars and destroy their fortresses. Meanwhile, Scourge and Meetra sneak into the prison level of Nyriss's palace. Nyriss ordered to execute all prisoners, but Revan is mind tricking the fuards and holds his ground until the team arrives. Meetra gives Revan the mask and SUDDENLY all of his memories return. Nyriss comes and kicks Scourge's and Meetra's ass, but then "DARTH REVAN REBORN" absorbs her Force Lightning and electrocutes her into a pile of ash ("I AM REVAN RBORN. AND BEFORE ME, YOU ARE NOTHING!"). The team escape and make a shelter, boosting their morale!

Yeah, Meetra kind of caused all events, but she is ultra-modest. Revan compliments her awesome power, but she is a rabid Revan fangirl, who thinks that Revan is much more powerful and lets him be the leader of their group. At first Meetra is afraid that Revan will forver be Darth again, but after she shows him Bastila's holovid of their child he softens a bit. Revan reveals what really happened on Dromund Kaas after the Mandalorian Wars: he and Malak, two good and loyal Jedi, decided to kick Vitiate's ass after finding him, but weren't prepared - the Emperor dominated their unprepared minds even without a fight, and then sent them to seek Rakatan artifacts that would help the True Sith Empire make its return to destroy the Republic. However, after they left Dromund Kaas, Revan and Malak... forgot about him. I am dead serious. They somehow FORGOT about the Emperor. It is never explained why did this happen. Revan says their minds were strong enough to break from Emperor's control, but not strong enough to freaking remember Dromund Kaas, or to become the goody-goodies they, apparently, were before meeting the emperor. The Emperor's magiks made them Sith (oh hai the hated arc from TCW cartoon), so they thought that being Sith is awesome (true dat) and decided to conquer Republic for teh lulz. Really. All that KOTOR 2 explanation about Revan becoming the Dark Lord of the Sith to create a strong totalitarian regime to prepare the galaxy to oppose the "True Sith"? No, lol, he didn't even remember who the "True Sith" were! Just conquering galaxy, 'cause that's what the Sith do! UGH!..

The Sith (race) are, apparently, very very against the idea of a new war against the Republic. To the Sith, the Republic genocided the Sith Space (that is true) and the Jedi are portrayed as baby-eating monsters (that is false) and they would rather live in peace in their empire on the edge of the galaxy, rather than risk starting a new galactic war and being exterminated by the Republic. That is both Scourge's and Revan's motivations - to protect peace and to let the "True Sith" and the Republic never know about each other. The Emperor, however, IS the "something terrible" Kreia mentioned: he wants to conquer the Republic, than kill all the Sith and the Republicans, drain force of all planets and become the sole being in the universe, reliving lives of many persons, being the only point of Force in the galaxy of Void. Void is Emperor's power, not the Dark Side (though he can use some Force abilities, like Lightning, but to him it's more like Exile's KOTOR 2 case: being a wound in the Force he uses the Force of many creatures he siphoned... But the Exile is no longer a Force wound, just a Jedi who retained her powers... UGH).

Scourge, suddenly, has a vision of all three being killed by the Emperor. He starts worrying and asks Revan what happens if they fail (doesn't tell him about the vision itself, though). Revan says he doesn't care: he believes that the Force itself always strives for balance, and when it's too much in the Light or in the Dark, a champion arrives to restore balance. He thinks that he is "The Champion of the Light" who will destroy the dark emperor (not realizing that the Emperor is not Dark Side, but something far worse). Even if he dies, the emperor will wait for some time, and in a decade Revan's son grows up and becomes the new awesome Jedi (Revan's sure!). Scourge calls him on that bragging and says that he would be very disappointed if Revan also wants to just slow down Vitiate, instead of killing him, but Revan doesn't care. Revan fights for his family to be saved from Vitiate's invasion and the new war Vitiate wants to plung the Republic into, while he believes that Scourge's motivation is selfish and that the Sith Lord just fights for his own survival. That's why Revan is OK with sacrificing his life, while Scourge would rather survive and find a better decision. Still, Scourge thinks that Revan is the only guy who can beat the Emperor.

So, the team and T3M4 prepares to attack the palace, while all Imperial Guard is out, fighting the Dark Councilors. Scourge and Meetra kill some guards, while Revan goes to fight the emperor with T3M4.

Now, so many people were whining that Revan and the Exile will be "underpowered" in the book, unlike in the game. Well, that's not true. First things first, the trio kicks your usual elite mooks with ease. And while Scourge is just a strong Sith Warrior, Meetra is some Light Side-zealot, who turns herself into the "Blade of the Light" in battle. Revan does not approve though - HE uses both Dark and Light Side. SIMULTANEOUSLY. How the heck is that possible (I'M RAGING WITH EMOTION... while having inner peace?) is not explained. However, when he comes to fight the Emperor, Revan really becomes the Heart of Force, "the personification of both the Light and the Dark Side". His Dark-Light attack kicks the Emperor out of his position, but Vitiate manages to stand up and electrocutes Revan and T3M4, destroying the droid (here Revan yells NOOOO!) and bringing Revan to his knees. Scourge understands that his vison is coming to be true. The Emperor prepares for the final strike to kill Revan and opens himself for a lightsaber strike, but the Exile blocks his attack on Revan instead of using the moment to kill Vitiate, much to Scourge's dismay. He understands that this instance pug failed and starts having many, many visions. In some visions the Emperor is beaten by Meetra, in some by Revan, in some the Emperor destroys the galaxy, the possibilities are endless! But SUDDENLY one vision becomes clear - the emperor is killed by a Jedi Knight... Not Revan or Meetra (but your TOR character!) Scourge understands what must be done to keep his cover: he backstabs Meetra and leaves Revan to be dazed by the Emperor. He then tells the Emperor that he brought these two super-strong Jedi in the trap, because he couldn't defeat them himself. Bizzarely, Vitiate believes him (what an idiot) and rewards him. He offers Scourge immortality and the position of his personal enforcer, Emperor's Wrath, and the Sith Lord agrees, wanting to have it to keep tabs on the Emperor until the invisioned Jedi Knight rises to defeat him. The immortality is really painful and becomes Scourge's constant torment for betraying Meetra and Revan, though Scourge himself thinks that cause justifies the means.

Revan is taken prisoner by Vitiate, who feeds of his power. Exile becomes a Force Ghost and tries to support Revan as far she can. In his statis, Revan has a connection with Vitiate, that works both ways. Revan uses it to plant doubts into Emperor's head and keep him from attacking Republic (he also makes Emperor suggest the peace treaty) - the Emperor does not notice his influence because he ALREADY has many voices in his head and Revan becomes his self-conscience. But both ways IS both ways: as we know from Beta Leaks Revan becomes a self-righteous genocidial Dark Jedi.

Oh, and Revan's son (who Bastila named Vaner Shan) becomes a politician. Not a Jedi.

So, what can we say?

This book is made to order lore, but it isn't to be read.
When you open up this book, you're sucked inside instead,
To some most unpleasant retcons ever seen,
Cause Mr. Karpyshyn is VE-RY MEAAAN.

If you want to see the canonical interpretation of Revan's and Exile's character - read this book. The story is meh, reading wookieepedia would substitute it. Though the insight on one of the companion characters and the main villain can be appreciated. Too much retcon-like writing, the TSL continuity is barely kept, mostly because of the author using some elements of it and disregarding others. I really can't say if Drew actually checked KOTOR2 or not: at one hand we have Atris, MSG and Nihilus-like powers, on the other hand the story of the Sith Triumvirate is butchered, like if the author didn't read about them and just assumed that they were "generic galaxy-conquering villains".

Chris Avellone should write new Star Wars EU. In fact, he should write for ALL cool fictional franchises.

That is all for now.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:25 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganishka View Post
Your wit knows no bounds when it comes to amusing me, good sir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpnJe...el_video_title

Warning: spoilers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ
Seriously,FUCK THIS GAME !

Last edited by SmokeBlader; 11-20-2011 at 03:27 AM..
Old 11-20-2011, 03:46 AM

Elune

So Grand Master Shatele is descended from Revan, then?
Old 11-20-2011, 04:07 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordragon View Post
So Grand Master Shatele is descended from Revan, then?
Yes, Baras wasn't lying.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:38 AM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Looks like Leeland Che fell asleep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 11-20-2011, 11:57 AM

Arch-Druid

Thanks for the review, Kir. The way the storylines of KOTOR and KOTOR II were repackaged to fit into TOR disappoints me (especially the handling of KOTOR II -- Kreia and the Exile are two of my favorite Star Wars characters), but at least I have reliable confirmation about this now. This kind of dampens my enthusiasm for TOR and BioWare in general, but I've played enough games to know better than to judge them by their tie-in products and TOR may be better enjoyed as its own entity divorced from its KOTOR backstory anyway.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:55 PM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan Seven View Post
Thanks for the review, Kir. The way the storylines of KOTOR and KOTOR II were repackaged to fit into TOR disappoints me (especially the handling of KOTOR II -- Kreia and the Exile are two of my favorite Star Wars characters), but at least I have reliable confirmation about this now. This kind of dampens my enthusiasm for TOR and BioWare in general, but I've played enough games to know better than to judge them by their tie-in products and TOR may be better enjoyed as its own entity divorced from its KOTOR backstory anyway.
My pleasure!

As for the retcons, meh, Star Wars is full of them, one gets used to them after awhile. I wonder, though, if Mr. Chee says that the retcons really happened, or rather that it was just character POV (True Sith for Dromund Kaas retcon and Bastila for KOTOR 2 storyline retelling). Some inconsitences, like Exile's status or Atris's age cannot be cured, though.

At least, judging from Revan vs Vitiate fight, the funny argument about "Revan vs Nihilus" can be put to an end. Unleashing Force powers on the Force wound, like Vitiate, Nihilus or the Exile, can somewhat knock them down, but in a long way it's useless - those feeding on Force would eventually dominate the Force user. I don't think Karpyshyn wanted to make some point here, but the Exile wasn't killed by Force Lightning either - she had to be stabbed with a lightsaber, and Vitiate himself could be killed that way if Meetra did not waste her turn on defending Revan. Yet somehow that Darth Nyriss chick is able to defeat both Scourge and the Exile, until Revan saves the day and electrocutes her to ashes... That's not just a power level problem, that's some ability inconsistency: I understand Exile being defeated in a swordfight, but not under the pressure of Force powers.

Tags
eye of kilrog, mmos, star trek, star wars