Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Who is the master race?
Boring Humans 13 13.54%
Monstrous Orcs 9 9.38%
Awesome Dwarves 14 14.58%
Aloof Elves 5 5.21%
Cunning Trolls 11 11.46%
Dapper Worgen 3 3.13%
Annoying Gnomes 2 2.08%
Stampeding Tauren 4 4.17%
Dead Undead 8 8.33%
Cuddly Pandaren 3 3.13%
Retconning Ereder--I Mean Draenei 10 10.42%
Asshole Elves 14 14.58%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #6751  
Old 11-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Ded Chikn Ded Chikn is offline

Elune
Ded Chikn's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Baltimore, Marylan- *gunshot*
Posts: 6,315
BattleTag: DedChikn#1567

Default

I'm stealing this from somewhere:

What's the difference between Heath Ledger and Heath Ledger jokes?

Heath Ledger jokes can get old.
__________________
"Make work your favorite. That's your new favorite."
  #6752  
Old 11-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Bolvar Bolvar is offline

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!
Bolvar's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Get off my lawn!
Posts: 19,908

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
His military experience was irrelevant because we didn't have any wars to fight.
Look, a lot of people forget the War of 1812, but, come on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_...ilitary_career
__________________
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.
  #6753  
Old 11-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Elune
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 5,682
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Look, a lot of people forget the War of 1812, but, come on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_...ilitary_career
I think he meant no wars during Jackson's presidency. Unless that experience was important when he was rolfstomping all those Indians (it wasn't).
__________________
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
  #6754  
Old 11-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Bolvar Bolvar is offline

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!
Bolvar's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Get off my lawn!
Posts: 19,908

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
I think he meant no wars during Jackson's presidency. Unless that experience was important when he was rolfstomping all those Indians (it wasn't).
How is that relevant? We were talking about qualifications prior to taking office - Obama was a freshman Senator who had completed half a term. Prior to that, he had a few years at the state legislature level. That's it. No military experience of any kind, no economic qualifications, no foreign policy experience.

Jackson was much more qualified.
__________________
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.
  #6755  
Old 11-18-2011, 03:34 PM
Rufin Rufin is offline

Eternal
Rufin's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,635
BattleTag: Rufin#1220

Default

just put lotion on my face and omfg it burns. freaking dryness.
/pain
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Shut up your nipples are useless.
I'm a bit slow, but it's awesome.
  #6756  
Old 11-18-2011, 05:09 PM
HalfElfDragon HalfElfDragon is offline

The draconic Titleless - Mod
HalfElfDragon's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 15,545
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
No military experience of any kind, no economic qualifications, no foreign policy experience.
Jackson's only foreign policy experience was almost starting a war with Spain, and the Bank War demonstrated his lack of economic knowledge.
__________________
Quote:
Lucio Benado be wanting to say, Hey, what's up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
  #6757  
Old 11-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Porimlys Porimlys is offline

Elune
Porimlys's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,979
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Default

__________________
  #6758  
Old 11-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

It wasn't THE POKEMON MOVIE YOU LESBIAN CUNT. IT WAS POKEMON 2000.

Get it RIGHT.
__________________
  #6759  
Old 11-19-2011, 05:05 AM
AndyJP AndyJP is offline

Eternal
AndyJP's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 2021
Posts: 4,508

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufin View Post
just put lotion on my face and omfg it burns. freaking dryness.
/pain
Was it lotion that is supposed to go on your face?
  #6760  
Old 11-19-2011, 06:51 AM
Royalpimp Royalpimp is offline

Eternal
Royalpimp's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,575

Default

Can I ask who the hell is Betty from Xie's sig?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
And Lordaeron

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
And that is the Drama to being part of the Horde. There are people out there who want you dead. You honestly can’t blame them. Do you lie down and die for them? No. You enjoy the challenge. You keep your head up and move forward.
  #6761  
Old 11-19-2011, 07:15 AM
xie323 xie323 is offline

Eternal
xie323's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lake Jackson, Texas
Posts: 4,750

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalpimp View Post
Can I ask who the hell is Betty from Xie's sig?
She's one of the main female characters in Mad Men(or one of the main antagonists if you hate her), she can be badass and is supposed to be a sympathetic character, but many people hate her just because of the way she treats her kids and see her as the unholy crossbreed of Ann Coulter and Michelle Bachmann. However they fail to grasp that the protagonist is no better. You people aren't "moralfags" for failing to sympathize with her, you're plain old hypocrites!

She's a "spoiled brat" I get it, but almost everyone in society are "spoiled brats" to some extent. We all want power, we all have ambitions, we all want more---even the Occupy protesters and the rebels in the Arab Spring(AKA Islamic Winter to cynics) can be seen as "ungrateful bastards who want more power" by cynics, despite their desire on the "surface" for a "fair" world! How can you expect her to be nice after seeing the society that bred her? You think Betty is the only one who spends her life scowling over how much "better" she wants it. But why can't we "want" to want more, why can't we reach for the stars and lay the foundation for our descendants' godhood eons in the future!? Why must we be hated for ambition, why must we be hated to think we can not care how our actions impact anyone around us?

You claim that her kids will hate her forever, sure its the sixties, and her children will definitely rebel, but they're young, they don't know any better, they only know what's "good" or "bad" not the "grey area" in the middle when they grow up chances are that they will have greater empathy for her, this happens in a lot of child abuse cases where the mother is a battered housewife.

Many people also say that her new husband is probably sympathizing with Don Draper and wishing he never would have gotten involved and that by episode two of season 5 hes going to be throwing himself in front of a moving train. You people fail to comprehend who is really the victim here. If a husband displeases a wife, they have the right to be angry, if anything Betty is no saint, but it isn't 100% her fault if her new marriage fails.

She abuses and disciplines her children just cause she's pissed, sure, but she needs something to vent her anger on her husband on. Plus a lot of people got success just because of child abuse----myself included. I can safely say that the reason I've been getting high grades in school is because of fear of my own mom and also because of what you would call "child abuse"

I bet they hate her because Don came from the 99% and clawed his way to the top, but she was born in the 1%.

Speaking of the 1%, I hope OWS doesn't use her as their "Marie Antoinette" if they succeed(I'm saying this because in the Probation Era, they've made an "avatar for alcohol" to be killed off in political caratoons when Probation got enforced in the 1920s). For some reason, I support their protest movement, but I don't want the network to kill her off under petition because she represents the worst excesses of the 1%.

And oh, Weiner won't make her go Joan Crawford, he based her on his mom and do you think he can fully vilify her for the masses? Nope.

Some people argue, because the structure TV is derived from early Film and Shakespearean Theater, while anime is derived from manga, which is derived from comics---where everyone can be cool, there have to be restrictions on who can be liked or hated. So while a villain or foil to the protagonist in an anime or cartoon or video game can be "cool". Characters in TV are written for one of two purposes: you hate them or you love them. That's the point. She's a foil; a device. However I disagree, I think that she isn't an "antagonist" but rather a morally ambiguous character.

tl;dr: Betty haters are misguided
__________________
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...~Thomas Jefferson


So instead of seeing this as a continuation of an era of the 20th century that gave us so much debt and destruction and undermined our liberties and conditions today that are so dangerous, let us think that we are now moving into a new era, a new era where we are going to concentrate on liberty and freedom and property rights and peace. I believe that is the cause that we should lead and I thank you very much for being part of it.~Ron Paul

Last edited by xie323; 11-19-2011 at 12:11 PM..
  #6762  
Old 11-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DC, U.S.
Posts: 11,091
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

Betty's a spoiled bitch who doesn't understand just how absurd her sense of entitlement is. That's the point of her character, which means we're meant to hate her. More importantly though, there is only so much you can do with such a character before she becomes a one note piece, so eventually she's gotta get axed, regardless of what she represents.
__________________

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
  #6763  
Old 11-19-2011, 07:59 AM
xie323 xie323 is offline

Eternal
xie323's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lake Jackson, Texas
Posts: 4,750

Default

I can understand that she will one day be axed, but I hope that she goes out leaving the show, not dying(ie: Anna Draper), and that her storyline ends on a well note.

In fact in the manga/anime Monster, the character of Eva started out as a selfish annoying bitch who we'd all hate, but at the end she grows to be an likable character, so hopefully they do the same for Betty Draper.
__________________
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...~Thomas Jefferson


So instead of seeing this as a continuation of an era of the 20th century that gave us so much debt and destruction and undermined our liberties and conditions today that are so dangerous, let us think that we are now moving into a new era, a new era where we are going to concentrate on liberty and freedom and property rights and peace. I believe that is the cause that we should lead and I thank you very much for being part of it.~Ron Paul
  #6764  
Old 11-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Porimlys Porimlys is offline

Elune
Porimlys's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,979
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Default

<3 Mad Men and all it's brilliant fucking characters.
__________________
  #6765  
Old 11-19-2011, 08:16 AM
xie323 xie323 is offline

Eternal
xie323's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lake Jackson, Texas
Posts: 4,750

Default

/Agreed, everyone's morality can be debated in MM.

And oh, I'm not sure if we're supposed to hate her, since Weiner relates her to his mother and is devoted to his mother. And she does have quite a few defenders in the fanbase. She's just as ambiguous as Don IMO.
__________________
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...~Thomas Jefferson


So instead of seeing this as a continuation of an era of the 20th century that gave us so much debt and destruction and undermined our liberties and conditions today that are so dangerous, let us think that we are now moving into a new era, a new era where we are going to concentrate on liberty and freedom and property rights and peace. I believe that is the cause that we should lead and I thank you very much for being part of it.~Ron Paul
  #6766  
Old 11-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Reyson Reyson is offline

Arch-Druid
Reyson's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,174

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalpimp View Post
Can I ask who the hell is Betty from Xie's sig?
You had to open that can of worms...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzsche
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
  #6767  
Old 11-19-2011, 12:08 PM
xie323 xie323 is offline

Eternal
xie323's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lake Jackson, Texas
Posts: 4,750

Default

Royalpimp just had to ask that question didn't he?

And oh, as for Betty's "entitlement", like I said, we all want power, we all have ambitions, we all want more, we all have great desires that will lead to downfall if used improperly. And unfortunately power corrupts, ambition destroys, greed ruins. It's part of human nature to have, or desire, "absurd entitlements". For Betty specifically she can be very childish but thats because people have always treated her that way, especially Don.

I doubt Weiner wants us to hate her, that may be your opinion Cantus, but who would want us to hate a character based on his own mom, and still try to defend her? I can't see anyone do that.

Hell, I doubt anyone would hate someone like Betty if she was born in the 99%, it's rather society's hatred for the "1%" that mainly drives the Betty detractors. In fact if Don was born rich and did not "crawl to the top" I doubt people will have a too favorable opinion of him as well. The whole reveal of his "past life" in season 3 didn't just make the story more dramatic it also made us feel more sorry for him, because as the protagonist, we must have an amount of sympathy towards him to keep watching on his side. It was to show that he had a difficult life, but took control of it.

But then again, like I said, my own mom is far worse that Betty in the child discipline section, and it was because of a parent like this that I was able to do well in my education. So then again, I owe my future to a "Betty Draper" so it could be just my personal opinion.
__________________
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...~Thomas Jefferson


So instead of seeing this as a continuation of an era of the 20th century that gave us so much debt and destruction and undermined our liberties and conditions today that are so dangerous, let us think that we are now moving into a new era, a new era where we are going to concentrate on liberty and freedom and property rights and peace. I believe that is the cause that we should lead and I thank you very much for being part of it.~Ron Paul

Last edited by xie323; 11-19-2011 at 12:19 PM..
  #6768  
Old 11-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Vil'rexin Vil'rexin is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,491

Default

It would of been much more amusing had you meant Betty Crocker and wrote us an essay on that.
__________________
Popularity, I have always thought, may aptly be compared to a coquette - the more you woo her, the more apt is she to elude your embrace. - John Tyler
  #6769  
Old 11-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Wabbajack Wabbajack is offline

Arch-Druid
Wabbajack's Avatar
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,273

Darkmoon Card: Twisting Nether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasarax View Post
It would of been much more amusing had you meant Betty Crocker and wrote us an essay on that.
Curse the Batterwitch!
  #6770  
Old 11-19-2011, 01:43 PM
xie323 xie323 is offline

Eternal
xie323's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lake Jackson, Texas
Posts: 4,750

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasarax View Post
It would of been much more amusing had you meant Betty Crocker and wrote us an essay on that.
This is a critique of human nature, not a satire.
__________________
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...~Thomas Jefferson


So instead of seeing this as a continuation of an era of the 20th century that gave us so much debt and destruction and undermined our liberties and conditions today that are so dangerous, let us think that we are now moving into a new era, a new era where we are going to concentrate on liberty and freedom and property rights and peace. I believe that is the cause that we should lead and I thank you very much for being part of it.~Ron Paul
  #6771  
Old 11-19-2011, 07:08 PM
Wabbajack Wabbajack is offline

Arch-Druid
Wabbajack's Avatar
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,273

Darkmoon Card: Twisting Nether

On a certain type of site I just saw the cover for a certain type of fan-comic named "4 tauren and 1 worgen" *squick* (Sweet dreams.)
  #6772  
Old 11-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Sonneillon Sonneillon is offline

Lord of the
Assassin's League
Sonneillon's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canadaland
Posts: 9,990
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Default

I'm not wearing any pants.
  #6773  
Old 11-19-2011, 09:26 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

So I did decide to reinstall DCUO. When I get it in and get my character up and running I'll give you the name and you guys can feel free to friend me.
__________________
  #6774  
Old 11-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Reyson Reyson is offline

Arch-Druid
Reyson's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,174

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
I'm not wearing any pants.
I'm not wearing any socks.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzsche
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
  #6775  
Old 11-19-2011, 11:33 PM
HalfElfDragon HalfElfDragon is offline

The draconic Titleless - Mod
HalfElfDragon's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 15,545
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Default

The Marriage of Figaro is very entertaining.
__________________
Quote:
Lucio Benado be wanting to say, Hey, what's up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Closed Thread

Tags
west coast

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.