Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2011, 01:02 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Footman League of Legends

So what is everyone's opinions on the game?

I like it a lot though I have only recently started playing.

Leona is the only champion that I have used though.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:40 PM

Arch-Druid

I've played quite a bit of it, it is a lot of fun if you can do it with friends, but alone it gets tiresome really fast. The community is so annoying at times, if they lose the opponents 'use overpowered champions' or their teammates suck, if they win they'll bitch about how good they are and how bad their opponents play.
Caitlyn is by far my favorite champion, but I'll play support with Sona or Janna at times aswell. I have played Leona for a while aswell but you're very reliant on your team for damage because Leona's basicly just there to crowdcontrol.

Since this is the LoL thread, what do you think of Dominion? I've personally enjoyed it quite a lot, a huge change from the usual MOBA gameplay.
My main problem is that champions with good mobility have a big advantage over the rest and tanky champions are very strong in the sort of battles you get there.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:43 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Rufin#1220

my older brother likes it, but i can't get into it. I dunno, i just don't like the play style.
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Shut up your nipples are useless.
I'm a bit slow, but it's awesome.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:46 PM

World Builder

Runes

I'm a fan.

I also feel Noxus is closer to how the Forsaken should be portrayed.

*cackles evilly as the thread derails*

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 09-24-2011, 04:56 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Very much a awesome game and so is Dominion !! I have had like 23 games of Dominion so far and its a blast it just shows why i prefer this to HoN simply due to it adding new stuff.

Run
Old 09-24-2011, 05:03 PM

Banished

Been playing it a lot the first two quarters of this year, so if you need some help or info, let me know

Like Reyson said, the community and Riot's tendency to absurdly overbuff some champions can really strain your patience. LoL will probably be the reason for my first gastric ulcer.
Leona is fun and can be very strong thanks to her disruptive presence and amazing passive as long as the team rolls with her. If they don't, the enemy will just ignore you and kill your carries, rendering you useless (or did they buff her damage?).
If you enjoy tanking or just messing people up, Jarvan and Alistar are loads of fun (you can get Alistar for free at the moment by subscribing to their YouTube channel http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/s...hained-alistar, go grab him!).

Edit: Someone here on EU West?

Last edited by Lowtide; 09-24-2011 at 05:08 PM..
Old 09-24-2011, 05:06 PM

Elune

Footman

I agree that the community is pretty horrible.

I haven't played Dominion yet but it does look really fun.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:10 PM

Hippogryph Rider

I used to play last year, but the person I played with had a really bad attitude and so I quit before I got anywhere.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:23 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

I have been playing since beta which is quite crazy because thats almost two years this December/January...

Run
Old 09-24-2011, 07:52 PM

Elune

Footman

Thanks to the people who are giving me advice.

My build for Leona is usually I change the order based on the enemy though Regrowth/hpot->Philo->CDboots->frozen heart->FoN->warmogs->randuins->banshee's. What do you think of it? I know I sacrifice a lot of offense but I get pretty tanky.

For my points I will go either q-e-w-w-w-r then r>w>e>q if I think I can pick up an early kill or q-w-w-e-w-r then r>w>e>q if I don't think I can.

Also what are your thought's on these champions:
Garen, Lux, Xin Zhao.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:31 AM

Banished

No need to go really offensive on Leona, Cho'gath is for those who want to play a mage tank.

I'd drop the Warmogs (I usually reserve Warmogs for characters with either a lot of innate damage or good scaling like Jarvan, Garen, Olaf) and get a HoG (more delicious gp5) and an Aegis of the Legion (very good allrounder item) after the Philo. FoN and Frozen heart are solid choices if their team is respectively AP or AP heavy, otherwise a bit expensive. Randuin's and Banshee are always good core choices. Maybe consider getting a Sunfire Cape for more HP and a little bit of damage.
As for the skill order, I'd start with Daybreak then Zenith (or vice versa) then Eclipse and then stick to Ulti over Eclipse over Daybreak over Zenith.
(I'm by no means an expert on her, a friend plays her often and that's the build he uses, he's usually very succesful with her but feel free to improve/change it)

Aiming for Team Demacia, I see

Garen, the last time I played him, is a beast. His Q makes him fast and deadly to casters, his E scales well off AD and crit and W makes him tanky to boot. Hard to do wrong with him, tough on a solo lane and fairly easy to play. He's the entry level tanky dps (although some call him a melee mage because he's so reliant on his abilities to deal noticeable damage).

Lux, I don't know. I prefer Morgana as offensive support due to the awesomeness of her Black Shield and the game changing Ulti but Lux's lazer is a lof of fun and ridiculously good and will wreak some serious havoc with a bit of CD, not enough spammable long range damage abilities to become a real AP carry though.

Win Zhao got nerfed, me thinks? He can rape pretty hard with Battle Cry and some attack speed and on hit items, he also makes for a very good Jungler. He is fairly squishy though when getting CCed in the middle of the fight. Good assassin, I feel that going too tanky on him is wasting his potential.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:22 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufin View Post
my older brother likes it, but i can't get into it. I dunno, i just don't like the play style.
Same here, the game looks pretty good, but I never liked DotA, so I don't try to try LoL.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 09-25-2011, 04:32 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Same here, the game looks pretty good, but I never liked DotA, so I don't try to try LoL.
They're both MOBAs, that's it. LoL is to DoTA what Ludo is to Chess.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:15 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowtide View Post
If you enjoy tanking or just messing people up, Jarvan and Alistar are loads of fun (you can get Alistar for free at the moment by subscribing to their YouTube channel http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/s...hained-alistar, go grab him!).

Edit: Someone here on EU West?
Thanks for the tip, I wanted to buy Alistar already and now I get a great skin with it.
I'm on EU West. I do like how they've split it up between Nordic, East and West, it makes the lag almost inexistant.

I didn't like DOTA too much either, yet I've found LoL quite entertaining. Because you play against people that are mostly around your skill level, it isn't as frustrating. The change of pace between the 3 maps also adds some variety to the otherwise monotonous MOBAs.
While there are definitely champions that are overpowered and underpowered, the draft mode(which let's each team ban 2 champs) partially makes up for it.

Last edited by Reyson; 09-25-2011 at 07:24 AM..
Old 09-25-2011, 07:47 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Been playing on and off for a couple of years now. Malzahar, Maokai, Leona are my three go-to champs (though I'll dabble in others as they cycle through free week). It's definitely the better MOBA on the market due to its accessibility. They took the WoW learning curve, added free to play, and capped it off with an ever evolving line-up of champions, and it keeps things fresh enough that I don't get thoroughly bored of it if I play in moderation. My friends, however, are obsessed with it, so I've picked up enough professional knowledge (solomid.net and mobafire.com) I can actually play most matches competently (barring disastrous teammates or my learning a new champ).

Leona is all about GP5 and disruption. She should be babysitting bottom lane until the carry is up and running, and then roam around helping out with ganks. She should never lane on her own for long because of how strong her passive is when comboed with a carry.

Maokai is the reverse. Once your bottom lane partner is strong enough to roam he should remain behind to hold the tower while the partner screws up the rest of the team.

Malzahar, god only knows why, but I just understand him so well I may as well not play any other mage-carry. He's not about pushing (though if he gets the advantage he can do more damage to towers than 95% of the mages out there), he's about holding a lane and taking advantage of ganks. The only one who's more capable at this is annie with Tibbers and her other stun. The other thing...and this is why I love him, is that he can shut down a raging Tryndamere or Nasus with his suppression. It's what I think people understand the least about him, his suppression isn't there to take people down, it's to mitigate damage and entrap a carry where they can't get away.

My other favorite (though I never get a chance to use him) is Olaf. Beast of a jungler with his new buffs, but god help him against a rammus with thornmail.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:21 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyson View Post
I didn't like DOTA too much either, yet I've found LoL quite entertaining. Because you play against people that are mostly around your skill level, it isn't as frustrating. The change of pace between the 3 maps also adds some variety to the otherwise monotonous MOBAs.
While there are definitely champions that are overpowered and underpowered, the draft mode(which let's each team ban 2 champs) partially makes up for it.
The anmount of douchebaggery and ass whooping that I delivered with free week Nasus on my smurf accounts to get the free 975 RP would like to disagree with you
What I despise about LoL is how stagnant the gameflow in SR can be. Some games feel like a round of "Chinese Farmbot - the Game" (sorry to all Chinese readers) if there's no one to shake things up. Oh and of course Flash, bane of my existence.
Supports are also very under represented and boring. Aside from Morgana with Teleport or Roaming Bull, I find most supports to be incredibly bland. Janna can be very rewarding but I despise Soraka or Sona and Karma is flat out borked.

Edit: Sorry, not trying to be a nay sayer or "DOTA > LOL HUEHUE" kinda guy. LoL definitely is fun, not too complicated for newbies or people who like to take breaks from a game and the customization via runes can make for some good times and absurd but funny builds. It's not a bad game at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
My other favorite (though I never get a chance to use him) is Olaf. Beast of a jungler with his new buffs, but god help him against a rammus with thornmail.
Olaf got buffed? Fo real? How?

Last edited by Lowtide; 09-25-2011 at 08:31 AM..
Old 09-25-2011, 08:55 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowtide View Post
The anmount of douchebaggery and ass whooping that I delivered with free week Nasus on my smurf accounts to get the free 975 RP would like to disagree with you
What I despise about LoL is how stagnant the gameflow in SR can be. Some games feel like a round of "Chinese Farmbot - the Game" (sorry to all Chinese readers) if there's no one to shake things up. Oh and of course Flash, bane of my existence.
Supports are also very under represented and boring. Aside from Morgana with Teleport or Roaming Bull, I find most supports to be incredibly bland. Janna can be very rewarding but I despise Soraka or Sona and Karma is flat out borked.

Edit: Sorry, not trying to be a nay sayer or "DOTA > LOL HUEHUE" kinda guy. LoL definitely is fun, not too complicated for newbies or people who like to take breaks from a game and the customization via runes can make for some good times and absurd but funny builds. It's not a bad game at all.

Olaf got buffed? Fo real? How?
They upped his early stats for better jungling. That was Olaf's biggest weakness, so now he's got his jungle back.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:35 AM

World Builder

Runes

I play Malzahar, any tips?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-25-2011, 12:27 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
They upped his early stats for better jungling. That was Olaf's biggest weakness, so now he's got his jungle back.
Uh. My biggest problem was his lackluster gap closer. His jungle was amazingly fast, although you got very low, just have to spam the axe so it hits all mobs at once and so you can pick it right up again.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:12 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
I play Malzahar, any tips?
http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...eres_malzahar/

But the TL;DR of it is, your ult should be used to shut down a carry, not initiate. If you see a Nasus or Tryn in the middle of their ult, hit them so all the time they're at their most powerful is wasted. Use your silence to poke/cut off channels (Kat death lotus, fiddle before he ults, etc.). Make sure you use your voidling wisely, it's literally 1/3 of your damage and it's physical (so people can't fully build against your dps). Don't just randomly use your E skill, put it on people who are likely to die fast/run so that they're more inclined to (this also targets your voidling). Null Zone's placement is incredibly important because it can decide if a bruiser/tank has their full sustain or not.

And most importantly, let your voidling do the damage in team fights, you shouldn't be auto-attacking/getting close to their carry. Your ability set is meant to keep you outside the most ridiculous damage, so stay there.

As to items Dorans to Catalyst first. Rod of Ages and Rylai's are mandatory (as is, obviously Rabadons). Abyssal Scepter should be picked up if no one else is providing the aura and/or you need the MRes. Will of Ancients, again, if no one else is providing it.

Summoners should always be ghost/flash. Ignite is viable, but because you don't build speed items ghost is more useful for escape/catching up to E. Never get clarity, your E should be giving you mana. Exhaust is also viable, but again mobility is generally better unless you're trying to counter someone like Yi.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:30 PM

Arch-Druid
Location: A big point of nothing in space and time (i.e. Brisbane, Australia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
The big difference I found with LoL compared to DOTA is LoL is much more forgiving. DOTA was too brutal; you died and you lost gold, denials made it really easy for foes to gimp you, heroes had defined roles and were only useful either early game or late game, not both...etc

LoL has gotten rid of all that and I find it's much more enjoyable. Sure, the hardcore DOTA purists would hate it, but it still allows enough leeway for you to customize your hero and item builds, as well as show your actual skill.

Me, I'm a Taric player. I do mad tanky-support. Most of the time I win the game for my team =D except for last night where I lost three games in a row...I think it's cos Taric's been F2P this week and everyone's learnt to target him before everyone else =\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killchrono View Post
Shut up and get in the bag, new guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post
At least people notice me now. ;-;
Old 09-26-2011, 01:18 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Dominion came out today.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:46 PM

World Builder

Runes

Dominion is VERY fast paced.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-26-2011, 02:12 PM

Banished

Sorry, but I don't tend to enjoy activities that consist of a handful of other people screaming at me for everything from choosing the wrong hero to neglecting to flee on time.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:25 PM

Arch-Druid

The best part about Dominion is that it can turn around very rapidly, you can be 50-300 and still come back from it.

As far as the champions in Dominion go, it's too early to tell which are bad champions to play. Earlier today I had a group with a Rammus that was bitching because we had 2 AD's(Ashe and me as Caitlyn). In the end we won with me at 1st spot and Ashe 2nd whilst that Rammus was last.