Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > General Blizzard Discussion

Old 11-25-2011, 10:17 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexander View Post
(the long post snipped)
I'm glad you're not replacing Metzen. You don't get at all what does being a druid or paladin mean. Nature, or Light, knows no factions. By forcing everyone into one of the two factions that are already getting completely unsympathetic, you're killing the whole franchise.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:12 AM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: IliyaM#1840

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I don't think there is anyone here that could replace Metzen and cause the quality of story to go up.
That's hilarious. I've read fanfiction better than what passes for 'stories' from Warcraft nowadays.

I am Dallanna Stoneweaver, Destroyer of Threads, Logic, and Lawns.

Tip for writers: The "Rule of Cool" does not a good story make!

Dorf R 4 Fite!
Old 11-26-2011, 11:22 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthat View Post
I'm glad you're not replacing Metzen. You don't get at all what does being a druid or paladin mean. Nature, or Light, knows no factions. By forcing everyone into one of the two factions that are already getting completely unsympathetic, you're killing the whole franchise.
So, in your opinion the franchise is the neutral factions, rather than the Horde or Alliance?

I'm going to say, different opinions here.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:44 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
So, in your opinion the franchise is the neutral factions, rather than the Horde or Alliance?

I'm going to say, different opinions here.
Well, when you think about it, most of the franchise's important characters from the prior games have gone neutral.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:11 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Well, when you think about it, most of the franchise's important characters from the prior games have gone neutral.
Or died. Like my faith in the future for WC since that post of Kosak (which was posted just after the previous post of mine here).
Old 11-26-2011, 12:25 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Yup, and its really had an effect on the playable factions. In my opinion, its time to see the neutrals stop being neutral, and start taking a side. If the war between the Horde and Alliance continues, the world is going to suffer until its uninhabitable. We're talking about a global threat that will -not- go away while the neutrals twiddle their thumbs and avoid factional conflict.

Only problem with the neutrals picking a side is, as usual, the Horde is going to find itself shafted for the most part.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:33 PM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: IliyaM#1840

Quote:
Yup, and its really had an effect on the playable factions. In my opinion, its time to see the neutrals stop being neutral, and start taking a side. If the war between the Horde and Alliance continues, the world is going to suffer until its uninhabitable. We're talking about a global threat that will -not- go away while the neutrals twiddle their thumbs and avoid factional conflict.

Only problem with the neutrals picking a side is, as usual, the Horde is going to find itself shafted for the most part.
That's the Horde's problem, since they act like douchebags to other people and get indignant when people don't cowtow? DOWN WITH NEUTRALITY!

I am Dallanna Stoneweaver, Destroyer of Threads, Logic, and Lawns.

Tip for writers: The "Rule of Cool" does not a good story make!

Dorf R 4 Fite!
Old 11-26-2011, 12:35 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iliya View Post
That's the Horde's problem, since they act like douchebags to other people and get indignant when people don't cowtow? DOWN WITH NEUTRALITY!
Well, tallying up the current neutral factions it -could- work with a bit of stretching.

Cenarion Circle
Dalaran
Argent Crusade

The above join the Alliance. That leaves the Horde with...

The Knights of the Ebon Blade
Earthen Ring
Shattered Sun Offensive
Old 11-26-2011, 02:49 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Well, tallying up the current neutral factions it -could- work with a bit of stretching.

Cenarion Circle
Dalaran
Argent Crusade

The above join the Alliance. That leaves the Horde with...

The Knights of the Ebon Blade
Earthen Ring
Shattered Sun Offensive
/facepalm
You're still not getting it? Does the Light, or Nature, or you know, life itself, have factions? No. A true servant of Light, or Nature, or elements, will never bow to either of those two douchebags.

But hey, given that Warcraft is now in hands of talentless hacks like Fargo you may yet get your wish. I wouldn't be surprised at all.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:55 PM

Eternal

Quote:
/facepalm
You're still not getting it? Does the Light, or Nature, or you know, life itself, have factions? No. A true servant of Light, or Nature, or elements, will never bow to either of those two douchebags.

But hey, given that Warcraft is now in hands of talentless hacks like Fargo you may yet get your wish. I wouldn't be surprised at all.
Okay, first of all, tone down the vitriol.

Second of all, these forces may or may not bow down to any faction or individual, nor am I suggesting they do, but these -organizations- do NOT control those forces. The Light is not under the control of the Argent Crusade anymore than it is the Naaru (who, do by the way, have their own little faction, at war with the Burning Legion).

Those listed groups are merely that; groups. They are bands of mortals with similars minds, working towards a common goal. Should the goal shift, so do they. Do you honestly think the Elements will start ignoring the shaman of the earthen ring just because they decided to back the Horde (who, ideally, -need- the wisdom and teachings of the spirits and elements to grow and improve from the dark path it apparently is heading down)? Do you think all the Druids of the Cenarion Circle are going to lose their powers the second they put on a blue tabard? Heck, Naralex went against the balance of nature in the Barrens and he -still- is a druid.

Quit acting like any neutral organization is the end-all be-all of the various forces they represent; they're not. They're just mortal people, of a specific class, trying to live in a world and make it a better place; a goal that echoes with those of the Horde and Alliance, though those two groups have opposing views on what, 'better,' is, and no two neutral groups should have the same view on what, 'better,' is either.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:02 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Okay, first of all, tone down the vitriol.
No, I won't tone down any vitriol, at least addressed at Fargo. Not only has everything I loved about Warcraft been shat upon, but this amateur of a writer thinks the way WoW is executed now is "dark". If that's dark, then his Flintlocke comics are probably, in his opinion, a detailed, scientific exploration of a psyche of mentally challenged dimunitive persons.

The neutral organisations are neutral for a reason - specifically to avert the faction bias, because they know backing only one faction will destroy the world. They know that if they "put on a blue tabard" we're all dead, Alliance, Horde or whatnot. Because nature is supposed to be kept at balance.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:30 AM

Eternal

Quote:
No, I won't tone down any vitriol, at least addressed at Fargo. Not only has everything I loved about Warcraft been shat upon, but this amateur of a writer thinks the way WoW is executed now is "dark". If that's dark, then his Flintlocke comics are probably, in his opinion, a detailed, scientific exploration of a psyche of mentally challenged dimunitive persons.

The neutral organisations are neutral for a reason - specifically to avert the faction bias, because they know backing only one faction will destroy the world. They know that if they "put on a blue tabard" we're all dead, Alliance, Horde or whatnot. Because nature is supposed to be kept at balance.

I happen to disagree with your thoughts on neutral factions. I often find them to be neutral for different reasons. The Argent Crusade wanted to destroy the Lich King, the Cenarion Circle wants to protect Nordrassil, the Earthen Ring wants to restore and maintain balance between the elements, the Death Knights want to prevent the Scourge from ever being as massive a problem as it was, etc...

To those end, they became neutral to obtain help from the Alliance and Horde, because alone they couldn't do jack shit, and would utterly fail. I think its very easy for them to take sides, as goals change over time. The Argent Crusade is an excellent example; they defeated the Lich King, and now are cleansing the plaguelands. Unfortunately, this sets them against the Forsaken, who want the lands of Lordaeron for their own, and seem to prefer plagued lands.

Neutrality halted an interesting storyline there, and left a very, 'WTF was Northrend for,' feeling amongst the playerbase of both factions.

Last edited by Vexander; 11-27-2011 at 10:37 AM..
Old 11-27-2011, 10:20 AM

World Builder

Runes

I'd remove the arbitrary stupidity.

All of it.

I'd have NPCs in cities and towns discussing the things that leave players scratching their heads, like "WHy the fuck doesn't the Horde just grow trees with its own druids" and junk.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 11-27-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I happen to disagree with your thoughts on neutral factions. I often find them to be neutral for different reasons. The Argent Crusade wanted to destroy the Horde, the Cenarion Circle wants to protect Nordrassil, the Earthen Ring wants to restore and maintain balance between the elements, the Death Knights want to prevent the Scourge from ever being as massive a problem as it was, etc...
Just as a note: I think you mean the Scourge there : p

I am handclaw and this is my favorite thread on Scrolls of Lore!... oh wait, nope... Just another bitching thread.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:39 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by handclaw View Post
Just as a note: I think you mean the Scourge there : p
I edited that just before you posted it =)

Not sure why I typed Horde... Tirion's the biggest orc-loving human since Jaina.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:43 AM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
/facepalm

Didn't Fargo do Southern Barrens and Silverpine?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 11-29-2011, 07:22 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by xie323 View Post
So, supposed Blizzard decides to one day fire Metzen and you took over:

How will you change their games storyline?
Step 1: Stop WoW. It's run its course, let it die.

Step 2: initiate a whole new universe as a next generation MMO. Mine would be a space based MMO set slightly in the future in a whole new setting. Primary gamescape would be seven worlds, the capitals of their respective empires, along with a number smaller bases and planets.

While various empires and factions would be at war with eachother, players wouldn't be forced to join any of them. They would be strongly encouraged to pick their planet's side, but they could just as well join their enemies or someone completely different. The main storyline would evolve in a ten thousand year old plot, the stability of the galactic peace and Earth's child steps in the galactic community, starting literally just moments after the First Contact. However, players could ignore this plotline and engage in a number of sideplots all over the various zones in the gamescape. Think Skyrim in space MMO for an example (just with less bugs :p).

The leveling of your character would be gone. Instead of levels, one would have skills that one could develop either through experience (engaging in game events, ranging from diplomacy to combat skills to trading, piracy and more) or through schooling / exploration / finding or buying unique abilities.

The world around the player would constantly change, with wars, elections, promotions and so on all influencing how the game's NPCs would react to player's chosen race. All in all, a living, breathing next gen MMO in the truest meaning of the word.

Sadly, I don't think even Blizzard is capable of pulling something like this off just yet, we still need to go through one generation of MMOs before we'll have storyline and dynamic events evolved well enough to think of such a dynamic world.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:50 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufy View Post
Step 1: Stop WoW. It's run its course, let it die.

Step 2: initiate a whole new universe as a next generation MMO. Mine would be a space based MMO set slightly in the future in a whole new setting. Primary gamescape would be seven worlds, the capitals of their respective empires, along with a number smaller bases and planets.

While various empires and factions would be at war with eachother, players wouldn't be forced to join any of them. They would be strongly encouraged to pick their planet's side, but they could just as well join their enemies or someone completely different. The main storyline would evolve in a ten thousand year old plot, the stability of the galactic peace and Earth's child steps in the galactic community, starting literally just moments after the First Contact. However, players could ignore this plotline and engage in a number of sideplots all over the various zones in the gamescape. Think Skyrim in space MMO for an example (just with less bugs :p).

The leveling of your character would be gone. Instead of levels, one would have skills that one could develop either through experience (engaging in game events, ranging from diplomacy to combat skills to trading, piracy and more) or through schooling / exploration / finding or buying unique abilities.

The world around the player would constantly change, with wars, elections, promotions and so on all influencing how the game's NPCs would react to player's chosen race. All in all, a living, breathing next gen MMO in the truest meaning of the word.

Sadly, I don't think even Blizzard is capable of pulling something like this off just yet, we still need to go through one generation of MMOs before we'll have storyline and dynamic events evolved well enough to think of such a dynamic world.
So you'd make a slightly more advanced GW2?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:01 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

I don't trust any of you with this game.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:02 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
I don't trust any of you with this game.
Psh. You'd love my expansion. "World of Warcraft: Supremacy of the Draenei."
Old 11-29-2011, 09:12 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
Psh. You'd love my expansion. "World of Warcraft: Supremacy of the Draenei."
Maybe if it was called "World of Warcraft: Fuck the Burning Legion!"
Old 11-29-2011, 11:19 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Lore up the game more. Dialogue between NPC's in cities discussing everything from Lordaeron to inter-faction/race politics.

Let Gnomes use more of their technology to aid the war, and not just act like butt monkies.

General Draenei fanwankery, draenei rogues sniffing out demonic corruption, hovering/fixed Exodar, Akama joining the Alliance, broken/pure drama, more focus on their magical society, tone down Shamanism

More Dark Iron Alliance presence in lore and quests. A Dark Iron commander who tries to get the trust of his soldiers or something.

Mainstream Alliance warlocks ala True Blood. Give them a light-hearted jokester character/hero, but not neccesarily their leader. Mages become incredibly butthurt when they have to share space with them. Governed/watched over by Paladins. Yes I'm taking this idea straight from Dragon Age.
Draenei cause friction by kidnapping and doing some holy torturing to Warlocks who don't go "mainstream".
Old 11-29-2011, 11:20 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrise View Post
Lore up the game more. Dialogue between NPC's in cities discussing everything from Lordaeron to inter-faction/race politics.
I saw a mudcrab the other day. Terrible creatures. Good day.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:28 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
So you'd make a slightly more advanced GW2?
Not even close. Guild Wars 2 has a few right ideas, but it can't pull off such a change. I'm talking a combination of everything in the past two generations and the coming generation rolled into one. Think Bethesda's landscape and questing system, Bioware's characters and story, Blizzard's polish, packed with CCP's char development and combined with ArenaNet's dynamic events. Literally a game at least a generation away.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:41 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
I saw a mudcrab the other day. Terrible creatures. Good day.
You see those warriors from Hammerfell? They've got curved swords. Curved. Swords. Curved. Swords.

Edit: Best mod since killable children