Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11726  
Old 04-19-2019, 11:02 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,046
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Then why is it a bannable offense on the WoW forums and Overwatch tournaments and why are people on twitter defending it.
Reply With Quote
  #11727  
Old 04-20-2019, 12:22 AM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,282

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
Then why is it a bannable offense on the WoW forums and Overwatch tournaments and why are people on twitter defending it.
Because they don't want to bother trying to figure out if someone was just doing it normally or trying to be sneaky.
Like it or not, associating things with each together means people will associate them with each other. For example, in the West, most people will probably assume certain things about someone if they wear a shirt with a manji on it.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #11728  
Old 04-20-2019, 01:12 AM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,146

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
Because they don't want to bother trying to figure out if someone was just doing it normally or trying to be sneaky.
Like it or not, associating things with each together means people will associate them with each other. For example, in the West, most people will probably assume certain things about someone if they wear a shirt with a manji on it.
And milk is racist because racists drink it and flaunt their shiny, Eurocentric lactose tolerance.

Yes that is what many SJW idiots have been led to believe by a handful of channer trolls.

You guys have completely lost the plot.
Reply With Quote
  #11729  
Old 04-20-2019, 08:57 AM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,333

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
And milk is racist because racists drink it and flaunt their shiny, Eurocentric lactose tolerance.

Yes that is what many SJW idiots have been led to believe by a handful of channer trolls.

You guys have completely lost the plot.
'many'?
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #11730  
Old 04-20-2019, 11:06 AM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,101

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
You guys have completely lost the plot.
Are you sure we're reading the same script?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #11731  
Old 04-20-2019, 11:17 AM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,282

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
And milk is racist because racists drink it and flaunt their shiny, Eurocentric lactose tolerance.

Yes that is what many SJW idiots have been led to believe by a handful of channer trolls.

You guys have completely lost the plot.
No, that one never caught on. Try to pay attention.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #11732  
Old 04-20-2019, 05:06 PM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Elune
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 5,644
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default

When dogwhistles get exposed, racists find new ones to spread around. Sadly, they often co-opt innocuous or obscure symbols (see: swastika) so they can keep flying under the radar.
__________________
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Reply With Quote
  #11733  
Old 04-20-2019, 05:19 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,046
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
When dogwhistles get exposed, racists find new ones to spread around. Sadly, they often co-opt innocuous or obscure symbols (see: swastika) so they can keep flying under the radar.
I'm just gonna tell you the same sagely advice you told me the other day on discord.

You need to get our head out of the faction war's ass, except in this case it's RL political factions and not WoW factions.
Reply With Quote
  #11734  
Old 04-20-2019, 05:26 PM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Elune
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 5,644
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
I'm just gonna tell you the same sagely advice you told me the other day on discord.

You need to get our head out of the faction war's ass, except in this case it's RL political factions and not WoW factions.
Are you serious right now? Because a video game story is just as important as real life?

Come on man, get real. I don't think you are seeing clearly with that gigantic chip on your shoulder.

Do I need to spell it out? Horde and Alliance are not real. No one is dying because of the Warcraft faction bullshit. I'll repeat my sagely advice: please do get out of the faction war's ass. Because it is clearly screwing with your perception of reality if you are equating its to real world issues and bringing it up here for some reason.
__________________
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Reply With Quote
  #11735  
Old 04-20-2019, 06:06 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,282

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
I'm just gonna tell you the same sagely advice you told me the other day on discord.

You need to get our head out of the faction war's ass, except in this case it's RL political factions and not WoW factions.
You'd be surprised. Just a week or two ago I saw someone with the symbol of the 2nd SS Panzer Division on their car. Most people wouldn't recognize it (for reference, it looks like this) There really aren't many reasons someone would do that.
__________________
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 04-20-2019 at 07:23 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #11736  
Old 04-20-2019, 06:59 PM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,098

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
When the checks on Republican power are removed,
When some checks on Democratic power are allowed to exist, yes...

Quote:
you will be able to overturn laws that made abortion legal. I understand how that would appeal. You will also be able to secure stronger rights for corporations
Everyone thinks they understand economics. Experts with equal levels of education and experience will stare at the same piece of information, come to completely opposite conclusions, and ridicule the other for getting it wrong. I'm not convinced it's a science, so much as an art.

I'm not afraid of corporations at the moment.

Quote:
and illegalize gay marriage.
Government-defined marriage is an obsolete relic. None of the parties are mature enough to figure that out yet; they'll scream to keep the government out of the
bedroom, and then rush to organize a system that's nominally all about that. The sheer amount of blind spots from all of them is nauseating.

People get married for tax convenience; elderly couples remain unmarried for similar reasons. Many get married but have separate bank accounts. It's all a joke, completely unrelated to household economies or anyone's understanding of love.

Quote:
Do you not consider it worrisome that Democratic justices are dying out?
You have to understand, that I consider those justices to be enemies of social justice. So I'll be fine.

Quote:
Do you think our democracy will survive a one party system, as long as it's your party?
Some issues are more important than a political balance of power.

Look. For example, more and more Republicans are abandoning the opposition to gay marriage. Yet somehow, that still didn't make us a Democrat one-party state.

Quote:
EDIT: And another thing. Have those people who insisted for so long that first global warming was a hoax, then that there wasn't any evidence it was man-made, then that it wasn't anything to worry about, finally accepted that maybe they were, as I know Republicans so hate to be told, on the wrong side of history? Or are we still in denial of some kind?
Last I heard, a lot of them say the climate change happens regardless of man-made stuff. I'm not with them.
Reply With Quote
  #11737  
Old 04-20-2019, 07:49 PM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Elune
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 5,644
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I'm not afraid of corporations at the moment.
I think there are some pretty good reasons you should be. I could list some for you.
__________________
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Reply With Quote
  #11738  
Old 04-20-2019, 08:06 PM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,098

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
I think there are some pretty good reasons you should be. I could list some for you.
More afraid than the government itself monopolizing control?

Regardless, I'm also not convinced that Democrats care to stop corporations.
Reply With Quote
  #11739  
Old 04-21-2019, 05:10 AM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,333

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
More afraid than the government itself monopolizing control?

Regardless, I'm also not convinced that Democrats care to stop corporations.
1. Yes, I am more afraid of increasing corporate overreach INTO Govt because that's the root of most govt abuse.


2. Most don't but the folks decried as radical like Ocasio-Cortez are the ones most likely to be genuine in that desire and that's what we need atm, folks who will push back at corporate overreach and force businesses to make concessions to appear less... 'two steps from a cyberpunk dystopia'
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #11740  
Old 04-21-2019, 06:37 AM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,046
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
Are you serious right now? Because a video game story is just as important as real life?

Come on man, get real. I don't think you are seeing clearly with that gigantic chip on your shoulder.

Do I need to spell it out? Horde and Alliance are not real. No one is dying because of the Warcraft faction bullshit. I'll repeat my sagely advice: please do get out of the faction war's ass. Because it is clearly screwing with your perception of reality if you are equating its to real world issues and bringing it up here for some reason.
He says, after unironically making a big deal out of hand gestures or emojis, calling people racist if they use them.

My advice still stands, buddy boy.

On that note, everyone's dying. It sucks, but if you're going to bring that up then there are better things to do to help against that than obsessively post on a dying WoW fan site. Even then I doubt you will save everyone, you are too mired in personal bias and tribalism to care.

Last edited by Lord Grimtale; 04-21-2019 at 07:02 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #11741  
Old 04-21-2019, 10:48 AM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,282

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
He says, after unironically making a big deal out of hand gestures or emojis, calling people racist if they use them.

My advice still stands, buddy boy.

On that note, everyone's dying. It sucks, but if you're going to bring that up then there are better things to do to help against that than obsessively post on a dying WoW fan site. Even then I doubt you will save everyone, you are too mired in personal bias and tribalism to care.
You're not saying anything here. Your point is just relying on nihilistic and semantic bullshit of "nothing actually means anything and nothing is real."
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #11742  
Old 04-21-2019, 01:10 PM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Elune
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 5,644
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
More afraid than the government itself monopolizing control?

Regardless, I'm also not convinced that Democrats care to stop corporations.
1000% yes. Corporations have more power in many ways than governments. They aren't paying any taxes despite making billions that the middle class will never, ever see; they can act unilaterally across international borders; the have terrifying access into our private lives; they manipulate us with targeted ads with info gleaned from their access to our private lives; they are wantonly exploiting the environment and hold the lion's share of the blame for climate change; they have unprecedented access and influence in state and federal governments. Corporations have never been trustworthy because their incentives are economic before they are moral or ethical, we've been at this for over a century.

Generally, the current Dem primary field seems pretty keen on curbing the power of corporations, and making them pay their fair share. Whether they actually follow through is another matter, but the younger generation of progressives, at least, seems pretty done with corporations fucking us over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
He says, after unironically making a big deal out of hand gestures or emojis, calling people racist if they use them.

My advice still stands, buddy boy.

On that note, everyone's dying. It sucks, but if you're going to bring that up then there are better things to do to help against that than obsessively post on a dying WoW fan site. Even then I doubt you will save everyone, you are too mired in personal bias and tribalism to care.
If you have some specific objection or dispute with what I said, I'm all ears. But what you've said is just nonsense. Can we please talk about real things instead of vacuous equivocation.
__________________
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.

Last edited by Saranus; 04-21-2019 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #11743  
Old 04-21-2019, 03:05 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,333

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
He says, after unironically making a big deal out of hand gestures or emojis, calling people racist if they use them.
I missed it, where did Saranus do that?
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #11744  
Old 04-21-2019, 06:02 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,101

Orb of Lightning

I seem to recall something about some attempt to make the okay hand an alt-right symbol after the roaring success of turning the otherwise innocuous Pepe into such a brand, but I haven't seen anything that would make me take it seriously.

EDIT: Although Grim isn't making any political or social points that I can see, I think he's right that some of you people are being unnecessarily obnoxious about these things. You're not going to convince every neo-nazi to stop being a bad person, but by mocking and dismissing the words of generally decent people like Grim and Grackle you will at best accomplish nothing and at worst may swing them a little further into the Enemy's camp.

We're all reasonable adults here, right? Shitposting and trolling may be well and good in subjects that don't matter, like WoW, but let's try to take real life a little more seriously and think before we antagonize our would-be friends.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.

Last edited by Anansi; 04-21-2019 at 06:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #11745  
Old 04-21-2019, 06:54 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,333

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I seem to recall something about some attempt to make the okay hand an alt-right symbol after the roaring success of turning the otherwise innocuous Pepe into such a brand, but I haven't seen anything that would make me take it seriously.

EDIT: Although Grim isn't making any political or social points that I can see, I think he's right that some of you people are being unnecessarily obnoxious about these things. You're not going to convince every neo-nazi to stop being a bad person, but by mocking and dismissing the words of generally decent people like Grim and Grackle you will at best accomplish nothing and at worst may swing them a little further into the Enemy's camp.

We're all reasonable adults here, right? Shitposting and trolling may be well and good in subjects that don't matter, like WoW, but let's try to take real life a little more seriously and think before we antagonize our would-be friends.
Where was Grim or Grackle trolled? I came into this when I saw Grim strawman WizardlySaranus and felt it was unfair.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #11746  
Old 04-21-2019, 08:14 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,101

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Where was Grim or Grackle trolled? I came into this when I saw Grim strawman WizardlySaranus and felt it was unfair.
Saran and K have been talking shit, but it might be argued that Grim came in spoiling for a fight.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #11747  
Old 04-22-2019, 10:04 AM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Elune
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 5,644
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Although Grim isn't making any political or social points that I can see, I think he's right that some of you people are being unnecessarily obnoxious about these things. You're not going to convince every neo-nazi to stop being a bad person, but by mocking and dismissing the words of generally decent people like Grim and Grackle you will at best accomplish nothing and at worst may swing them a little further into the Enemy's camp.

We're all reasonable adults here, right? Shitposting and trolling may be well and good in subjects that don't matter, like WoW, but let's try to take real life a little more seriously and think before we antagonize our would-be friends.
This is nuts. As you acknowledge in your first sentence, he's not exactly on topic. Grim is the one shitposting and concern trolling. He's not engaging in good faith, just deflecting and equivocating. But somehow I'm the bad guy for calling it what it is. Why are you defending this bullshit?

I'm not really concerned with how "generally decent" someone is, I'm taking them at their word in the context of the ongoing conversation. Grim is concern trolling, dismissing, and equivocating about some pretty serious topics, and equating them to wow faction trolling. That comes across as pretty damn obnoxious to me.

Could you please explain to me how exactly I'm "talking shit"? What I said may not have been "nice" strictly speaking, but at least it's on topic and isn't bad faith equivocations.

Your post reads like this: "Yes, he is posting off topic nonsense, but lets be nicer to each other and stay on topic."

Don't let yourselves be gaslit by alt-right sophistry.
__________________
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.

Last edited by Saranus; 04-22-2019 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #11748  
Old 04-22-2019, 10:17 AM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,333

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post

Don't let yourselves be gaslit by alt-right sophistry.
I don't think Grim's alt-right, he's just a little acerbic at times.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #11749  
Old 04-22-2019, 10:26 AM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Elune
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 5,644
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
I don't think Grim's alt-right, he's just a little acerbic at times.
I don't necessarily think he is either, but he is coming pretty close to parroting some of their more common talking points.

That's what makes it so insidious. People who probably don't believe terrible things are doing the work of genuinely terrible people out of some misguided sense of "fairness" to the other side. The alt-right doesn't give a rats ass about fairness. They hide behind it to protect their abhorrent ideas from legitimate scrutiny.
__________________
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.

Last edited by Saranus; 04-22-2019 at 10:42 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #11750  
Old 04-22-2019, 04:29 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,101

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
This is nuts. As you acknowledge in your first sentence, he's not exactly on topic.
Well no, because at this point he's respond to your attacks. Should have made that clear in my original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
People who probably don't believe terrible things are doing the work of genuinely terrible people out of some misguided sense of "fairness" to the other side. The alt-right doesn't give a rats ass about fairness. They hide behind it to protect their abhorrent ideas from legitimate scrutiny.
So stop playing their game. Stop giving the undecided and the wavering any more reason to hate or resent you!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
realspace, serious business

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.