Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 12-03-2013, 01:48 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by destron View Post
Exactly. Having more limitations (in terms of personnel, budget, or influence) could actually allow for better results. Such a team would be unable to enact sweeping and epic changes (which would likely run into many of the same problems that such changes normally engender) and instead focus on small details that enrich the setting.

Rather than altering the storyline, one could simply add lore items or NPCs who offer commentary (much as Blizzard did in MoP). Some accounts could even be contradictory. For scenery, a small area that is visually striking but serves no readily apparent purpose (such as the waterfall with the Dark Portal statue in western DuskwoodŚthough that might have a graveyard) can do wonders for atmosphere.

Little details matter!
Yes, that's the purpose of this team.

Other thing I'd try to do would be seek out Faction-affiliated mobs that are quest targets for the other faction, like Huntress Davinia. We often find these mobs, they have nothing to say... they are just there! What's this high elf doing in Night Elf lands? I'd love to add gossip text in which you talk to these mobs and learn about them, their objectives and personality.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 12-03-2013, 01:51 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

I'd downplay the grandiose comic book plots and invest more effort in details and ground-level charm. Like the Caravan, but everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:52 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

I should ban everyone who uses the term "comic book" as if it were a genre instead of a medium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 12-03-2013, 01:55 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I should ban everyone who uses the term "comic book" as if it were a genre instead of a medium.
It is a genre, as well as a medium. If you're going to sulk at my conflating trashy over-the-top sex'n'violence grunge with classy storytelling, you are welcome to join me in making a distinction between the former 'comic books' and the latter 'graphic novels.'
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-03-2013, 01:58 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
It is a genre, as well as a medium. If you're going to sulk at my conflating trashy over-the-top sex'n'violence grunge with classy storytelling, you are welcome to join me in making a distinction between the former 'comic books' and the latter 'graphic novels.'
So, classy sex'n'violence?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:04 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
So, classy sex'n'violence?
Indubitably. /monocle
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-03-2013, 02:15 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
If its a genre, its only because decades of misuse of the term led to a new definition.

"Graphic novel" is a PR term invented by those too stuck up to admit that they like to read book-length comics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 12-03-2013, 02:40 PM

Eternal

Getting away from the comic-book derailment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Yes, that's the purpose of this team.

Other thing I'd try to do would be seek out Faction-affiliated mobs that are quest targets for the other faction, like Huntress Davinia. We often find these mobs, they have nothing to say... they are just there! What's this high elf doing in Night Elf lands? I'd love to add gossip text in which you talk to these mobs and learn about them, their objectives and personality.
I really dig this idea, as it might actually promote world-pvp in a bit of a sideways manner, because if you're an Alliance character talking to an Alliance NPC and a Horde character rolls up to kill the NPC, you might have something to say about that.

I also really dig the idea of talking existing spaces between zones and trying to liven them up a bit. The Dwarven Breadbasket area on the northern side of the mountain over Ironforge would be a great place to add NPCs to just explain where the resources for Khaz Modan really comes from.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:57 PM

Elune

Hmm...

Eastern Kingdoms
-Phase Westfall once its quests are done, mostly around Sentinel Hill.
-Give Raven Hill in Duskwood some Gilnean architecture. I'd also add some flavor text in Darkshire about the locals distrusting the worgen.
-Add something in Alterac. Maybe even just a few flavor NPCs who talk about its fall in the Second War.
-Give Gilneas a steam train that players can ride
-Give Stonard services so it's equal to Theramore.
-More Widlhammers and Dark Irons in Ironforge.
-TwiHi Wildhammer buildings at Aerie Peak.
-Undercity's orc guards replaced with Forsaken.

Kalimdor
-Make the Howling Oak bigger and put more under it. Add some Gilnean buildings around the outside.
-Update Forest Song with WoD draenei buildings.
-Add Gallywix to his palace and make an easy land path up for any Alliance players who want to kill him
-Trolls and worgen in Nighthaven.
-Org's orc guards replaced with trolls.

And on both continents I'd add some wandering Pandaren, maybe at the quest hubs or just out in the wilds, I don't know. Integrate them somewhere. Stormwind and Orgrimmar would also both have Horde/Alliance ambassadors, respectively.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:01 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignac View Post
Hmm...

-More Widlhammers and Dark Irons in Ironforge.
I'd really like to see a Dark Iron refugee community in Ironforge. There might be friction between those who fled during or before the Dark Iron Emperor's regime, and those who came on Moira's invitation.

Also, even though it's really minor, I wish that Revantusk Village would get BC forest troll architecture.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 12-03-2013, 03:05 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
Getting away from the comic-book derailment...
Hey, I was on topic until HED started griping about genre. In my opinion, WoW is at its best when its not trying to string out an epic story led by caricatured superheroes, but rather offering smaller, more personal narratives about ground-level characters.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-03-2013, 03:07 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by destron View Post
I'd really like to see a Dark Iron refugee community in Ironforge. There might be friction between those who fled during or before the Dark Iron Emperor's regime, and those who came on Moira's invitation.
I think the only Dark Irons in the entire city are the ambassador and his two guards that dwarf players arrest around level 10. They could mostly be in the Forlorn Cavern, but maybe a few of the city's guards would be Dark Iron too.

And Falstad's the only Wildhammer there at all as far as I know.

Quote:
Also, even though it's really minor, I wish that Revantusk Village would get BC forest troll architecture.
Yeah, this too.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:37 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
If its a genre, its only because decades of misuse of the term led to a new definition.

"Graphic novel" is a PR term invented by those too stuck up to admit that they like to read book-length comics.
"Comic book" has become code for a genre due to the predominance of "superhero comics." Misuse? Perhaps, but it's common usage.

I may come up with a list of my own for this thread.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:39 PM

World Builder

Runes

NPCs scattered around Dungeons/Raids and the areas near them that explain part of the life/lore around them and what happens after the bosses have been killed.

Qiraji in AQ despondent and shocked at C'thun's defeat or defiant and indignant.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-03-2013, 07:02 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: DeadHank#1975

Fix the goddamn Mistweavers, maybe giving them a stance properly designed to FISTWEAVE (those familliar with the class mechanics will understand) and leaving the Wise Serpent one for MISTWEAVING.

I'd say this stance would have less healing spells (like Enveloping Mist and stuff), but would retain Renewing Mist (not Uplift, just ReM). Plus, I'd love a lower-cost chi generation spell - like jab, but lower.

Then, I'd hire this guy: http://wewant4specsnow.wordpress.com/

Ofc, I'm just dreaming I'd be in a top-rank in the company and could hire people.

With him in the team, 4th specs would be implemented, based on his amazing (imho) ideas.

Then, SUB-RACES. Because fuck it, I wanna be a Mag'har. lol
Old 12-03-2013, 08:22 PM

Elune

Seriouspost I'd move the Forsaken to a place where they won't fuck up the narrative.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies´┐Ż strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night´┐Ż live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:26 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Seriouspost I'd move the Forsaken to a place where they won't fuck up the narrative.
That flagrantly defies the initial rules that the OP lays out.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:32 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Pretty vague.

You always gripe but rarely provide solutions.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-03-2013, 08:35 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
That flagrantly defies the initial rules that the OP lays out.
Fojar Fact #87

Fojar Facts can't be limited except by other Fojar Facts.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:36 PM

Elune

I'd also delete all of Genesis' characters and give his credit card information to Mexican drug cartels.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies´┐Ż strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night´┐Ż live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:51 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Whatever my director/higher up tells me to do.

"Oh, you want more mailboxes in Stormwind's Trade district! One in front of every doorway? Right away, boss!"
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 12-03-2013, 10:57 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

I'd pretty much dedicate my time to retconning away random shit, a little bit each month. Leyara died? Nope, she's kicking ass with the Alliance. Crowley gave everything away? Nope, he's actually fighting Forsaken on the coast or something. Everyone in Hillsbrad died? Nah, they're alive in Stormwind. The NPCs in Forsaken questing actually are just random monsters whasshisface made. Also random named Scarlet Crusaders in SW and other places.

Also, tauren get to have balls and actually act as the conscience of the Horde, even if they're ineffectual. "Actually, no, let's not randomly poison the wildlife, mm'kay?" and so on and so forth.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:01 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

This is probably going way beyond the capabilities of the team theorized in the OP, but I'd put more examples of Azerothian artwork in the various cities and towns. The idea would be to give each faction at least one consistent style (maybe the bigger factions could get more than one).

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 12-04-2013, 11:07 AM

Sentinel Queen

Arathi Highlands

*add new architecture for Stromgarde Faction
*improve the Alliance base with actual buildings and walls
*turn the Smuggler's base into an Alliance hub and rework alliance questing alongside a north-south-axis (good compared to the east-west-Horde questing)
*add mini elemental invasion just to the zone which can be altered manually by empowering the different circles with materials
*at the end of the questlines let the Alliance recapture Stromgarde as a bulwark in Lordaeron (which could both give the playerbase and our dear Alliance players something to cheer about)

Silithus

*add two new flightpaths to the zone, one at the beginning and one at the gates of AQ
*streamline the quests alongside the new fp layout
*add a massive attack on Cenarion Hold by Twilight Hammer and Silithids and exchange the World PVP with continued battles of capturing and recapturing of control points against Silithids and Twilight Hammer

Cataclysm zones

*retool the zones to 60-70 as a different means for leveling compared to Outland
*the progression would be Silithus-Uldum-MH and Blasted Lands-Twilight Highlands-Deepholme
*Vashjir would be a single zone dedicated to 80 to 85 to underwater lovers with instances added

Outland

*Outland questing would start with 60 and end at 80 with the progression being Hellfire(60-65)-Zangarmarsh/Terokkar(65-70)-Nagrand/BEM(70-75)-Netherstorm/Shadowmoon(75-80)
*professions would be updated to reflect that change so you could for example use outland ore to expand your smithing until 450 without problems
*to amplify questing, mutiple hubs would receive flightpoints

Northrend

*Questing would altered to function from 65 to 85 and professions would be altered as well to achieve that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaximillian View Post
If BL stands for Blizzard, then yeah.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:34 PM

Arch-Druid

Still a lot of suggestions that go against the scenario presented.

Sorry, people, you can only do minor alterations. You can't redo whole zones because the work needed would be far too much for the small team.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).

Tags
crushed dreams, fanwank, hhh, jjj