Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 09-07-2016, 07:26 PM

Arch-Druid

Shadow Orb No Worgen Iconic Class.

This is something that has been bothering me about the Worgen. They are usually presented as fighting tooth and claw. While this maybe great for the whole savage beast thing, there isn't much for the player to identify with. For example in Heroes of the Storm, Genn switches from sword and pistol to pure beast. This may indicate Genn as a rogue, but not really since in Worgen form he goes tooth and claw.

Worgen need something iconic because nothing about them really is. For example even though the Horde is overloaded with blood elves, there are more Orc Warriors than Blood Elf Warriors. There are also more Undead Warlocks than there are Blood Elf Warlocks, which is actually quite shocking to me.

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census.php

Worgen priest, why would a frikken beast be a priest?

Worgen druid, they came from harvest witches. No worgen druid will ever really measure up to Malfurion. Trolls have their unique look on druids. I never really understood Tauren druids because in a fight between a Tauren and a bear, my money is on the Tauren.

Worgen Warlock, Horns don't look good on a wolf.

Worgen death knight, effin badass in looks. However they played no major role in Wrath of The Lich King. There are more Orc death knights than there are Worgen death knights (probably the shoulder pads).

Rogue, umm...I guess is kind of a rogue. I mean the guy has a broadsword, so he is kind of a warrior as well.

Darius Crowley was cleaving Worgen with his fists, while he was in human form. As a worgen he has fist weapons. But I've never seen an iconic warrior using fist weapons in wow.

Ivar is just plain savage.

What class or classes should be iconic of the Worgen. If blizzard wants to push Worgen, which way should they go?

Last edited by Shaman; 09-16-2016 at 05:53 PM..
Old 09-07-2016, 07:43 PM

Elune

Most Worgen artwork we see tends to put them, like Genn, into a weird hybrid of Warrior and Rogue. I think this disconnect comes from them looking at the Gilnean and Worgen aesthetic and realising that neither shades really fit entirely into either class.

Warriors are about heavy armour and wielding mighty weapons. Gilneans relied more upon firearms and even their guards wore what is in-game mail. The more 'savage' Worgen don't use heavy armour either. Warriors do at least get fist weapons, we see a fair few Worgen using swords and such and the whole rage meter thing works well.

Rogues are about stealth, poisons, daggers and, recently, gadgets. Really, other than stealth and the recent introduction of pistols to their class, I feel like Rogues don't fit Worgen very much at all. They've been pushing the more 'outlandish' aspects of Rogues with Legion. Outlaws are pirates, Subtlety and Assassination both have a hint of magic and ninjitsu. For Gilneans alone, Hunter works much better since it as a total focus on firearms, can transmog the guard armour (Lorna is certainly a Hunter in Legion) and sprinkle in a bit of nature there too.

Personally, I'd rather they focus more on making Warriors iconic. The whole 'berserker' aspect of the class only ever gets played up when it comes to the Horde races and almost always Orcs at that. The Vrykul/Titan bullshit they insist on shoehorning in isn't totally lost on the Worgen either since, at the end of the day, they're still humans.

If we could get a glyph that could replace Heroic Throw with Pistol Shot it would be perfect.

Last edited by Drusus; 09-07-2016 at 07:50 PM..
Old 09-07-2016, 08:01 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Nyarsz#1553

if they ever make a ranged rogue spec, i expect it to be entirely based on guns and gilneans.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:03 PM

Arch-Druid

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
Most Worgen artwork we see tends to put them, like Genn, into a weird hybrid of Warrior and Rogue. I think this disconnect comes from them looking at the Gilnean and Worgen aesthetic and realising that neither shades really fit entirely into either class.

Warriors are about heavy armour and wielding mighty weapons. Gilneans relied more upon firearms and even their guards wore what is in-game mail. The more 'savage' Worgen don't use heavy armour either. Warriors do at least get fist weapons, we see a fair few Worgen using swords and such and the whole rage meter thing works well.
Yeah I've noticed that as well, Gilnean gentlemen not meshing with Worgen savagery.

Quote:
Rogues are about stealth, poisons, daggers and, recently, gadgets. Really, other than stealth and the recent introduction of pistols to their class, I feel like Rogues don't fit Worgen very much at all. They've been pushing the more 'outlandish' aspects of Rogues with Legion. Outlaws are pirates, Subtlety and Assassination both have a hint of magic and ninjitsu. For Gilneans alone, Hunter works much better since it as a total focus on firearms, can transmog the guard armour (Lorna is certainly a Hunter in Legion) and sprinkle in a bit of nature there too.
Hunter also works well with Worgen because of the whole nose thing. Ivar may not be a hunter, but his nose was able to track down an undead.

I think hunter may balance the whole beast/human thing.

Quote:
Personally, I'd rather they focus more on making Warriors iconic. The whole 'berserker' aspect of the class only ever gets played up when it comes to the Horde races and almost always Orcs at that. The Vrykul/Titan bullshit they insist on shoehorning in isn't totally lost on the Worgen either since, at the end of the day, they're still humans.

If we could get a glyph that could replace Heroic Throw with Pistol Shot it would be perfect.
Vrykul/titan stuff for worgen is kind of like zombie werewolves or vampire werewolves. Yeah you could do it, but its kind of a bit much.

I can definitely see Ivar as a berserker. As for the whole plate thing, Orcs aren't really big on plate either.

PS: What do you think of Worgen monks in the future? I like the concept of a worgen trying to control his rage via martial arts also the fact of how Darius was knocking Worgen with his bare hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temo View Post
if they ever make a ranged rogue spec, i expect it to be entirely based on guns and gilneans.
How would it differ from marksman?

Last edited by Bullroarer; 09-07-2016 at 08:05 PM..
Old 09-07-2016, 08:06 PM

Arch-Druid

I give this thread my personal seal of being really fucking dumb.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:28 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

DK's as their second most played class... I wonder if it's because people wanted Worgen to be an anti-hero race and since they failed to live up to that then they decided to pick an anti-hero class and combine it with Worgen in order to fulfill that fantasy.

Also what Feltongue said, you can just say all the classes that Worgen can be are iconic to Worgen. They may not have that much lore compared to, say, Humans or Night Elves for those classes, but you could say the same thing for a dozen other races that don't get much representation in the lore.

If you ask me though, I think Rogues are the most perfect iconic class for Worgen. It has everything about its spec themes that I would like to see associated with them, such as stealth, swashbuckling, pistol-whipping, and dirty fighting. The future heir of Gilneas is also a Rogue and is a member of a large Rogue organization, so it's very likely that Blizzard is possibly seeding the idea of Gilneas having Rogues as its iconic specialty along with hunting.

And honestly I just really fucking want a Victorian-style leather armor set for Rogues because I doubt they can do something that would make it fit for Hunters since they wear mail armor.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:32 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltongue View Post
I give this thread my personal seal of being really fucking dumb.
You fit right in then.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:58 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
You fit right in then.

How to make every stereotype work with werewolves:
http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Were...The_Apocalypse
Old 09-08-2016, 06:17 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltongue View Post
How to make every stereotype work with werewolves:
http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Were...The_Apocalypse
Jesus, I'd love if Blizzard took some queues from that setting. Different Worgen packs with their own different specialties. (Bloodfang - Fighter, Nightbane - Mage, Greymane - Fighter/Rogue, essentially.)
Old 09-08-2016, 06:27 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

survival hunter
Old 09-08-2016, 06:32 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Do they really need one? Never liked the idea of races needing one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:31 AM

Elune

It always seemed like hunters to me. They make heavy use of guns and hunting hounds, plus it's something that fits both the savage worgen and the gilnean aristocrats.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:44 PM

Elune

Both Bloodfang and Greymane worgen have used plate and 2h weapons since Cata, though.

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=45996/worgen-warbringer
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=46050/bloodfang-berserker
Old 09-15-2016, 04:04 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Marksmanship hunters for Gilnean Worgen and Survival hunters for Feral Worgen.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:49 PM

Glaive Thrower

A weird hybrid between Sharpshooter/Berserker like Genn in HOTS. It makes sense, a sharpshooter uses guns, proof of humanity hold on technology, while the Berserker shows gilnean unrestricted fury of their worgen form. If not it, it would be another hybrid. Gilneas shows a civilization that tries to hold whatever humanity they've left with the savagery of their curse.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:50 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Question

Are there really that many iconic race-class combos though? Night elf druids, draenei paladins, orc warriors and undead death knights maybe. And Worgen would be hunters, if anything.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:07 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
Are there really that many iconic race-class combos though? Night elf druids, draenei paladins, orc warriors and undead death knights maybe. And Worgen would be hunters, if anything.
I'd say there are a few more. It's rarer for a race to not have any strongly associated class, IMO.

Humans- Paladins
Dwarves- No class
Night Elves- Druid
Gnomes- No Class
Draenei- Priest/paladin (hard to say)
Worgen- Obviously up for discussion, but I'd echo hunter

Pandaren- Monk

Orcs- Warrior
Trolls- No class
Tauren- Shaman
Undead- Death Knight
Blood Elf- Mage
Goblin- No class (maybe rogue with the new changes to outlaw)
Old 09-15-2016, 09:08 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
Human Paladin
Night elf Druid/Hunter/Priest
Dwarf Hunter/Warrior
Draenei Paladin/Priest
Gnome Mage/Warlock
Worgen ??

Orc Warrior/Shaman
Tauren Druid/Shaman
Troll Shaman/Hunter/Priest
Forsaken Death Knight/Warlock
Blood elf Mage/Warlock/Hunter
Goblin ?? (I'd almost say warrior)

Based classes on what promotional material and the game oftentimes shows the races as. I think we could make iconic classes for races we don't have playable such as a Ogre Warrior or Naga Mage.

Last edited by Leviathon; 09-15-2016 at 09:13 PM..
Old 09-15-2016, 09:29 PM

Elune

Hunters are too elf-themed, especially in Legion. Maybe if there was something cool like an order of hunters that were Gilnean and Worgen themed it would fit them more, or if there were armor sets or artifact skins with clear Worgen motifs, but Blizzard usually likes playing up elves and their sub-groups when it comes to Hunters.

Honestly I think Fury Warrior and Outlaw Rogue represent them better, and that's often how they're usually depicted outside of Druids.

Also, this is what the Gilneas Brigade army looks like in PvP zones.

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=41420/w...watchers-perch

Warmonger, Protector, Armsman, Shieldwarder = Warrior
Cleric, Lightbearer = Priest
Swiftclaw, Mauler = Rogue
Shotgunner, Huntmaster = Hunter
Wizard, Arcanist = Mage
Wildsoul, Feralheart = Druid
Old 09-16-2016, 07:44 AM

Warden
BattleTag: Namica#1257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Human Paladin
Night elf Druid/Hunter/Priest
Dwarf Hunter/Warrior
Draenei Paladin/Priest
Gnome Mage/Warlock
Worgen ??

Orc Warrior/Shaman
Tauren Druid/Shaman
Troll Shaman/Hunter/Priest
Forsaken Death Knight/Warlock
Blood elf Mage/Warlock/Hunter
Goblin ?? (I'd almost say warrior)

Based classes on what promotional material and the game oftentimes shows the races as. I think we could make iconic classes for races we don't have playable such as a Ogre Warrior or Naga Mage.
Goblins are in that odd spot where different professions would more so define them.

Though if anything I'd say, like worgen, rogue/warrior hybrid.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:56 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne_Neritas View Post
Goblins are in that odd spot where different professions would more so define them.

Though if anything I'd say, like worgen, rogue/warrior hybrid.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-v3SXW4EGGl...worg_SMALL.jpg

http://media.blizzard.com/wow/media/...-1191-full.jpg

So much fanart over a rivalry that never actually existed.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:24 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

My Worgen toons are are Warrior and a DK. Admittedly the DK bothered me at first because it sort of undermines the original lore of what the Worgen were a thing to counter the Undead. But at the same time they were conceptually going to be the original ghouls in the days of Warcraft 3.

The Warrior thing makes sense with the whole rage and strength aspects of that class, it also works with the focus they are putting on Warrior and Vrykul story now given that they are a human race.

Arguably they put a lot of focus in their story on Druids. While I feel they should have explored "The Old Ways" more and actually done some real stuff with Goldrinn back in Cata, but thats neither here nor there.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:30 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

These artworks make me think that my Worgen actually fills the Iconic Class role
Old 09-16-2016, 12:43 PM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
Hunters are too elf-themed, especially in Legion.
Besides Thas'dorah (which mind you all MM hunters are going to ditch after Legion) and arcane shot, what's so elf-themed about hunters?

I think hunters and rogues are pretty iconic for the worgen. A lot of Gilneans are seen using guns and with dogs. Greywatch is drowning in dogs and there's even a hound master.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:37 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mending View Post
Besides Thas'dorah (which mind you all MM hunters are going to ditch after Legion) and arcane shot, what's so elf-themed about hunters?

I think hunters and rogues are pretty iconic for the worgen. A lot of Gilneans are seen using guns and with dogs. Greywatch is drowning in dogs and there's even a hound master.
Their class hall is a big Night Elf lodge and the Unseen Path was founded by a Night Elf. Then there's the Dark Rangers, Farstriders, Sentinels, and Silver Covenant being far more noteworthy hunter groups than anything any other race has developed.

Only Tauren really compete with them via having their own artifact and having some influence on the Unseen Path.

Tags
class, rogues duh, world of warcraft