Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2017, 09:54 AM

Echo of the Past

Thumbs down Lore Disinterest

As has been pointed out elsewhere, these forums have seen less activity in the lore sections. A lot of folks (including myself) have spent progressively more time in the General section. It's as if we still want to post on Scrolls of Lore, but we're losing our interest in Warcraft and Blizzard.

So. What's going on with you?

For me, I never strayed far from the Warcraft II and Second War topics. I had a lot to say when I first came here. Now, I've just about said it all.

I had an enemy to see destroyed - the Tides of Darkness novel. It was so easy a target. But it's just about dead now.

I never really got into WoW.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:43 AM

Eternal

I've mostly moved elsewhere to discuss Warcraft.

So really, in my case, it's more about losing interest in Scrolls than Warcraft in general.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:47 AM

Echo of the Past

Whoops, meant to put this in the lore section. Ha. Maybe that's fitting.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:49 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Whoops, meant to put this in the lore section. Ha. Maybe that's fitting.
I think it was there, but got moved.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:50 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

There isnt much story in the patches to be discussed. There is like I dunno a sentence of lore or story in every "major" patch.

Which is kinda meh.

Lore hasnt interested anyone here I believe and it has mostly become a "Oh god what will blizzard do now" like the legion story.

Enormous plotholes in legion that they are bigger than that rift thing.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:57 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Some of it is just that WoW can no longer really surprise players. It's a long-in-the-tooth franchise, and locked in to the same storytelling patterns.

A lot of us have simply moved on to other interests, which is normal.

Another problem is that WoW's lore is too scattered across multiple media. I have no interest in reading WoW novels or comic books in order to catch up on what's going on.

Finally, I have never found most of the major characters very interesting. The setting was what attracted me. The characters have increasingly taken center stage, and I just do not care about them. The setting itself has become a lot less interesting after the Cataclysm.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 06-25-2017, 11:07 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
I let my sub run out and haven't really found any good reasons to renew it again. I thought Legion had a very strong opening but it seems like with 7.2 they've fallen back on their old habits and the patch is just really weak and boring to me.

Aside from that... personally, they just haven't done anything in the lore that's interested me anymore. They make big promises and fail to keep any of them, whatever they do say translates poorly to the game and has taught me to keep very low expectations from them. Their narrow mindset on which races get chosen for storytelling is also a big flaw. Only Humans and Elves get consistent quality storytelling and central focus, whereas the vast majority of the other races are window dressing at best. Most races just don't get anything at all, or what they do get is very poorly told and lacking in any depth.

And to me that makes for a very poor format when it comes to building up a fantasy world. I'm still surprised that anyone who doesn't play a Human or a Night Elf has any sort of fun playing a different race that has, at best, a lore description the size of a sticky note. I'll never understand someone who looks at how the devs treat races like Tauren, Trolls, Gnomes, or Worgen and continues to passionately defend them or their story decisions, but there you go.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:47 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Fucking legion has made me unable to play even older versions of WoW, because I know that it will always go back to legion and blizzard cant have Legacy wow Go in a different timeline.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:53 AM

World Builder

I've said it before, we oughta become a general lore forum for videogames and other media.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 06-25-2017, 12:05 PM

Elune

I've been disappointed by Blizz one too many times, so I've moved on.

I was a fanatic, it felt like a break up But like all break-ups you eventually get better and then one day you can look back on things and you are no longer angry. I might even take a stroll through WoWpedia one day to catch up on the lore in more detail (mostly just watching major cinematics these days), we will have become friends, me and the lore
Old 06-25-2017, 12:57 PM

Elune

Its nothing new for me. I go through phases with Warcraft and its lore.

For a while I'm really into it, and then I get burned out and disgusted and ignore it for a while. Then I return. Coincides with me playing the game, too. I'm unsubbed right now, and likely will be at least until the game reaches Argus.

I hate to harp on it, but lore-wise, WoD still has had an effect on me and made me stop caring quite so much as I once did. And while I enjoyed my time early on in Legion, I came to be meh about most the lore in it too. I'm hoping on Argus and whatever is after it to get me interested again.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:01 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

I'm just waiting for the next book, expansion, major patch or Chronicle volume.

If Illidan takes over the BL, can we finally get true playable demons? Draenei, orcs and elves don't count. DHs kinda count, but they're not a race.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:14 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
I've mostly moved elsewhere to discuss Warcraft.

So really, in my case, it's more about losing interest in Scrolls than Warcraft in general.
I've certainly lost interest in Warcraft, but I also have begun losing interest in Scrolls and find myself more often than not discussing Warcraft elsewhere.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:24 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

There are just so many more interesting things to discuss than Warcraft. Whatever magic our beloved franchise once had died long ago for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:33 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

I just discuss WoW elsewhere. In general I post elsewhere more often as this forum became too toxic and all about political leanings. Though right now I'm playing FF14 and not WoW anyway.

Last edited by Leviathon; 06-25-2017 at 01:37 PM..
Old 06-25-2017, 01:54 PM

World Builder

Where else do people discuss wow? Maybe we could recruit? Though I worry about coming across as poaching members.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 06-25-2017, 02:17 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
As has been pointed out elsewhere, these forums have seen less activity in the lore sections. A lot of folks (including myself) have spent progressively more time in the General section. It's as if we still want to post on Scrolls of Lore, but we're losing our interest in Warcraft and Blizzard.

For me, I never strayed far from the Warcraft II and Second War topics. I had a lot to say when I first came here. Now, I've just about said it all.

I had an enemy to see destroyed - the Tides of Darkness novel. It was so easy a target. But it's just about dead now.

I never really got into WoW.
Pretty much lost interest years ago. I now prefer to remember the things I liked from the early days.

I would say WotLK's ending was the final nail in the coffin for me, or maybe Cataclysm's beginning. What came next got worse and worse, so I didn't get to recover. There's some interesting details here and there, but overall, I don't like the new lore at all.

I prefer to think of Warcraft as two different products: The warfare story (W1, W2, and W2X), and then the fantasy story (W3 and W3X). Tidbits of salvaged WoW lore may apply, but not necessarily. Overall, I just gave up trying to salvage WoW, and I prefer to ignore it altogether. Sometimes, I just look at what's going on, plot summaries mostly, just to keep tabs on it, and the details that are still interesting, but that's pretty much it.

As for SoL, sometimes I get bored and this place still feels like home a bit, even if most of the old guard is gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
I've said it before, we oughta become a general lore forum for videogames and other media.
I approve.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 06-25-2017, 02:22 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
I've certainly lost interest in Warcraft, but I also have begun losing interest in Scrolls and find myself more often than not discussing Warcraft elsewhere.
I'd certainly lie if I said that my interest in Blizzard's work hasn't deteriorated significantly over the past decade. As a matter of fact, the only works of Blizzard themselves I really got interested in during the last four years are the two Chronicles.

What I wanted to say is that the little interest I have in Blizzard's work with Warcraft, I rather discuss elsewhere these days, with some exceptions, of course.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:26 PM

Elune

I lost faith in Cata with the Malfurion quest chain.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:18 PM

Arch-Druid

For me it's mostly just that 7.2 has really had nothing happen that's worth talking about except the tomb cinematic, and that's not a lot.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:43 PM

Elune

WoD and then the lackluster Legion patches have left me not caring about Warcraft. Legion is probably worse because of the endless grind. Overwatch is fun but there's no lore to that to care about.

I am having fun playing Minecraft with the gang, however.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:48 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
Some of it is just that WoW can no longer really surprise players. It's a long-in-the-tooth franchise, and locked in to the same storytelling patterns.

A lot of us have simply moved on to other interests, which is normal.

Another problem is that WoW's lore is too scattered across multiple media. I have no interest in reading WoW novels or comic books in order to catch up on what's going on.

Finally, I have never found most of the major characters very interesting. The setting was what attracted me. The characters have increasingly taken center stage, and I just do not care about them. The setting itself has become a lot less interesting after the Cataclysm.
Yes, this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
And this.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:52 PM

Elune

I like the idea of a general nerd forum. We can have TV shows, movies, marvel, table top, minecraft, other games, ect...
Old 06-25-2017, 08:28 PM

Banished

Ok, I have given up on the WC lore for a long while but I blame Metzen the most. WOW lore has never been awesome but he just made some very bad decision and never care about consistency, such as the famous retcon in BC and the mishandling of many cool characters. He also favors his own pet characters wayyyy over the top and it finally made impact in Cata. Wayy too many retcon affect the story a lot.

The current guy wasn't as creative as him, at least he knew to buff up some popular characters, of course, the way of handling wasn't impressive as well.

Diablo and Starcraft once was cool before D3 and SC2 being released.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:11 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

I think two Warcraft characters summarized the situation themselves.
"No king rules forever." -Terenas Menethil
"Times change." Garrosh Hellscream

As time goes by, the passion simply moves to something else. The lack of interesting content in WoD helped by speeding things up, but it would have happened anyway. Nothing ever really gets you hooked forever. Other story universes always take over.

When I was younger, the Forbidden Realms and Dragonlance had me completely hooked. As time went by, I eventually lost interest first in Dragonlance (felt it was over when members of the original team started to get replaced) and the Forbidden Realms. I don't despise the setting, I still appreciate it. I just don't feel the need to discuss it or read its novels. Theses are cool settings, but I feel my involvement in them is done.

Same thing happened with Harry Potter. I really loved it, read the books/watched the movies multiple times. I was really excited when Fantastic Beasts came out. While I enjoyed the movie and I'll go watch the others, the magic as it was before wasn't there. And when I rewatched the Harry Potter movies, it wasn't there either. I appreciated it, but the involvement in the setting was gone.

And that's kinda why GRRM needs to speed things up for ASOIAF because while it may have me hooked right now, nothing tells me how long that will last. This kind of thing can pretty much vanish at any time, even though it often does when there's content droughts. Which we happen to have with that series.

So that's pretty much what happened with WoW, I feel. Seems like a lot of posters on this forum have moved on to other settings. But they still hang out around here because they still like Warcraft and don't mind talking about it if others want to. It's just that the passion phase where you argue about things, make-up your own alternative stories and generally invest yourself a lot in a setting is gone.

Well, at least, that's the case for me. Don't know about you?

Tags
lore, red alert, warcraft