Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 11-08-2013, 10:16 PM

Elune

Default Alliance Shadowmoon Valley summary

Bam:

http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/11/08/bl...alliance-side/

Quote:
Upon zoning into the Alliance quest area, you find yourself in a place both familiar and altogether different: the ground of the Temple of Karabor. You might be more familiar with its Burning Crusade-era name: The Black Temple. Only now, no armies of demons train upon scorched black earth. Here we see the great bastion of the draenei as the height of its glory. Weeping willows dot the banks of tranquil pools and streams, while manicured hedgerows line the walkways. Unfortunately, there's not much time to appreciate the splendor of the place, because the Iron Horde is laying siege to the temple and attempting to breach its defenses. In this set of quests, you are tasked with thwarting their efforts.

The quests begin with some familiar sounding orders from Prohpet Velen and Vindicator Maraad: kill orcs and dislodge the grappling instruments they are using to breach the walls of Karabor. That quest in particular is quite entertaining, as the orcs scream in a very satisfactory manner when you successfully loosen a grappling hook and they fall to their deaths. For the Alliance! Oh, wait, I'm getting carried away here.

Once you complete those two quests, Velen gives you a series of "rally" quests, wherein you are tasked with rallying the (draenei) Rangers, the Anchorites, the Artificers (engineer magi, it seems like), and the Vindicators. The Vindicators, as it turns out, are led by someone who is once again quite familiar and yet breathtakingly different -- a young, passionate, and very much not Broken Akama. I will admit I squealed a tiny bit in delight when I saw Akama's name pop up on the screen.
Shadowmoon Valley
In each of the four quests, you travel around the temple to the leaders of the four forces, and tell them that Velen has requested their presence. The Artificers and the Anchorites give you sub-quests to finish before they'll return to Velen, but the Rangers and Anchorites only express puzzlement at being asked to withdraw in the heat of battle. In both cases you have two dialogue response options, and in the case of the Vindicators, one of them is quite snarky. Akama is not all that happy about having to leave his post, so you can either explain to him politely that Velen has found a way to break the siege engines, but needs his Vindicators to do so, or you can testily remind him, "He's a PROPHET, I'm sure he knows something about what's coming." So if you've ever wanted to sass Akama, you'll soon have the chance.

Once you've rallied everyone and completed the subquests, you return to Velen to witness him giving an impassioned rallying speech, and he personally requests that you, the player, accompany him to destroy the leader of the Iron Horde's siege forces: Commander Vorka. Vorka is no cakewalk at level 90, and he's tough to solo. There are plenty of ground effects (including fire and cone-haped AoE attacks) to avoid, and he summons adds. Once you get him down low enough, he declares that you and the draenei can keep their temple, summons his mount (a very bizzare-looking type of proto drake, it seemed), flies off, and orders his forces to retreat. A small cutscene gives you a birds' eye view as the draenei forces swarm out of the Temple of Karabor and drive out the Iron Horde. But they know that today's victory is only temporary.

This series of quests is a wonderful choice for the available demos -- they give a real feel of urgency along with the sense that you're actually accomplishing something significant in the storyline of this particular expansion. I'm quite impressed with how complete this experience feels. The environment effects contribute to this quite a bit. I assume this area of the game is heavily phased, and while I was running around trying to complete the quests, several sections of the wall were blown up in the siege. They crumbled to the ground and stayed broken -- the explosions aren't there just for flavor. It really adds to the immersion of the gaming experience in a way that WoW has lacked before.

The last thing I noticed before I had to leave the demo, and this is a wonderful touch, was the music. It's the same music that you'll recognize from the Black Temple raid, only less eerie, more reflective of the fact that this is the Temple of Karabor before its fall. It's personally some of my favorite music in the whole game, and it was the icing on the cupcake of this wonderful demo. I am very much looking forward to the Warlords of Draenor expansion, and I can't wait to see more of it!

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:01 PM

Elune

That sounds really cool. I wonder how Alliance players will appreciate it. Draenei are overdo for exposure and hopefully Blizzard uses this opportunity to tie them in more with other Alliance races and characters.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:02 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: kam#1475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
That sounds really cool. I wonder how Alliance players will appreciate it. Draenei are overdo for exposure and hopefully Blizzard uses this opportunity to tie them in more with other Alliance races and characters.
that's what i'm hoping for

but sounds badass so far
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Just remember, the Alliance is only ever allowed to passively defend itself against the Horde, and Taurajo was Azeroth's equivalent of the Holocaust.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:44 PM

Hon hon hon

Artificers... That's mean Legoso ! Please, Blizzard, I wanna see the Legoso of this timeline !

For now, it seems quite awesome, as in : the draenei get their time to shine, and I hope that they'll still shine !
Old 11-09-2013, 02:30 AM

Arch-Druid

Is this Velen "our" Velen or "alternate reality" Velen?

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 11-09-2013, 02:32 AM

Trade Baroness - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Is this Velen "our" Velen or "alternate reality" Velen?
Alternate, it seems.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:39 AM

The Sun King

Night Elf Icon (War3)

Curse those evil orcish invaders from the Shadowmoon Clan invading the Shadowmoon Valley!
Old 11-09-2013, 03:06 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Did not they say that we will work with "our" Velen? Then two Velens, maybe?
Old 11-09-2013, 03:08 AM

Hon hon hon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Curse those evil orcish invaders from the Shadowmoon Clan invading the Shadowmoon Valley!
They were named after the Valley, not the other way around !
Old 11-09-2013, 03:12 AM

Eternal

Needs more Varian Wrynn!
Old 11-09-2013, 03:19 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korath View Post
They were named after the Valley, not the other way around !
With how it's redesigned you might as well call it the Heavenly Sunshine Valley.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:22 AM

Trade Baroness - Admin

Quote:
With how it's redesigned you might as well call it the Heavenly Sunshine Valley.
Hmm? It's always night there, so Moonshine.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:38 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Hmm? It's always night there, so Moonshine.
But the shiny belven-like trees...
Old 11-09-2013, 03:41 AM

Hon hon hon

Quote:
But the shiny belven-like trees...
That's Talador which looks like an awesome Eversong Forest (even if I prefer the trees of Terrokar), not Shadowmoon.

On another note : do you think that we will see Gronns attuned to Shadowmoon, like there will possibly be for Gorgrond ?
Old 11-09-2013, 03:45 AM

The Sun King

Why is it "Gorgond" anyway? The appearance of Blade's Edge Mountains had nothing to do with the destruction of Draenor...
Old 11-09-2013, 03:54 AM

Hon hon hon

Quote:
Why is it "Gorgond" anyway? The appearance of Blade's Edge Mountains had nothing to do with the destruction of Draenor...
Apparently, it did, in fact.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:59 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korath View Post
Apparently, it did, in fact.
Retcons? But it's an alternate reality!
Old 11-09-2013, 04:24 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

this expansion is looking better and better by the minute
Old 11-09-2013, 06:24 AM

Demon Hunter

That sounds really interesting. Can't wait to see the Horde version. Also, it's great to see that the Draenei are finally getting some love
Old 11-09-2013, 06:32 AM

Drunk Assassin

Quote:
No. They explained that Blade's Edge was formed by Frostfire and Gorgrond mashing into each other whilst the planet was tearing itself apart.

I love that we have branches of the draenei military explained, and AKAMA.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:35 AM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
No. They explained that Blade's Edge was formed by Frostfire and Gorgrond mashing into each other whilst the planet was tearing itself apart.

Explained? I thought they were just named.

Artificers, Rangers, Anchorites, Vindicators.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 11-09-2013, 06:36 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:

To elaborate on that, it seems that Frostfire rests on a separate tectonic plate than the rest of Draenor (somewhat analogous to like India's relationship with the rest of Asia). When Draenor tore itself apart, Frostfire either crumbled or went to the west.

Personally, I'm interested in the ogre homeland continent. It seems the ogres of Draenor were much more intelligent (maybe, like, a whole society like Ogri'la) which explains their juggernauts.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:42 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
But... But... But BTDP! Blade's Edge was there from Warcraft II! And the novelization described Deathwing's battle against the gronn as taking place there!

Are you telling me they retconned a whole region out to a different time period?
Old 11-09-2013, 06:45 AM

Demon Hunter

Looks cool, I guess. I am not a huge fan of the time-traveling alternative reality thing, but seeing the draenei actually become fleshed out is exciting feature, nonetheless.

It remains to be seen how much development they're really going to get, though.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:46 AM

Elune

Quote:
But... But... But BTDP! Blade's Edge was there from Warcraft II! And the novelization described Deathwing's battle against the gronn as taking place there!

Are you telling me they retconned a whole region out to a different time period?
yup.

I guess it could have been to other fel corruption or something, or maybe the mountains there already had the name before the spikes.

Author of the Pink Engine.